• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Pokemon Gods?

Status
Not open for further replies.

randomspot555

If 50% of the community can't understand what you're saying and/or can, but hate your guts for having a bad attitude, you won't be very popular among most folks, which brings us back to social life.

If you want to care what some "lol u r XD n00b" user thinks about you, that's your call. Thankfully, I and BCVM don't feel we should dumb down our posting just because the people here are idiots.

If you want to care what some "lol u r XD n00b" user thinks about you, that's your call. Thankfully, I and BCVM don't feel we should dumb down our posting just because the people here are idiots.

I'm with you on that one randomspot. If people can't understand a well thought out and sophisticated argument packed with juicy logic, then that's their problem. And BCVM, you are probably my favourite poster on Serebii. Every time I see that Metagross, I think "oh boy, this is gonna be good".

Eoneo

The Eternal Aeon
may i ask what does the last 2 pages of this thread got to do with the topic...

CharizardBlastoise

Squirtle Power!
I Missed The Previous 2 Page Due To Firefox Errors And My Dislike For Other Browsers
But I Think It Was Some People Are To Dumb To Understand Others, Not Exactally On Topic But Meh Whatever Floats Your Boat.

On Topic, The Plates Are Very God Related As Arceus Uses Them To Chage Type, Does That Mean He Reads Them Like Instructions Or Somthing? An Hmmm The Plates Kinda Look Like The Thing That Moses Had With The 10 Commandments On (Im Not A Religious Geek, I Know Some Stuff From "Religious Education")

randomspot555

On Topic, The Plates Are Very God Related As Arceus Uses Them To Chage Type, Does That Mean He Reads Them Like Instructions Or Somthing? An Hmmm The Plates Kinda Look Like The Thing That Moses Had With The 10 Commandments On (Im Not A Religious Geek, I Know Some Stuff From "Religious Education")

Other Pokemon can change types without plates. Does this make them divine? It seems like it's even more powerful than Arceus, since Arceus relies on plates, while other Pokes can just use Conversion.

And it's extremely unlikely anyone who makes Pokemon games is referring to any of the Abraham religions.

And since no one has actually seen The Ten Commandments and lived to tell about it, it'd be hard to say something looks similar.

TheRippedDeck

Poketarians eat.....
I have one question.

Why are you denying that Arceus is modelled after Gods, shares the traits of godliness, and thus should be called a God?

This is what I have:
Highest base stat total = Somewhat godly
Lives on highest point in existance = Somewhat godly
Appears in myths that say he created the world with 1000 arms OR existed before the rest of the universe = Complete stereotype of a god

Even bloody Bulbapedia says that the literal god was created in the Trivia section. And if it's on Bulbapedia, it has to be at least popular opinion. Does the 12th movie have to be about how Arceus makes the world before you accept him as a god, or does Arceus have to cast Judgement on the world and blow it to smithereens as proof of his "godliness"? (Not to please you, but it would make as a SICK plotline.)

Reactions.

SSparky

And the song remains the same. Bring to the table one - count 'em, ONE (1) - piece of canonical material that refers to Arceus as a god. Just one. Don't even need two. Half of that, even. Just one.

While the games do not expressly use the word god to refer to Arceus, it's pretty clear by the description in the mythology of the games that they are referring to a creation deity/god.

Eoneo

The Eternal Aeon
Maybe nintendo cant make religious references as it may go against there child friendly policy somehow, so they can only call arceus a super pokemon???

Maybe nintendo cant make religious references as it may go against there child friendly policy somehow, so they can only call arceus a super pokemon???

I somehow don't think that "child friendly" means no religious references. Religious references can be in anything and nobody except the manufacturer can do anything about it. Super Pokemon yes, I'm still not convinced it's a god.

There are no Gods in Pokemon.

At this moment in time the only hard facts we have on Arceus are these:

(D/P pokedex entries)

As you can see the word "God" is never mentioned here.

Then how do you explain the church in Hearthome? Anyway, if the word "god" is mentioned in pokemon, Nintendo gets sued by someone who thinks that they are trying to get little children to worship Arceus. Also, on Mt. Coronet Cyrus says "I will become a DIETY," not god.

Then how do you explain the church in Hearthome?.

What about it? The only thing we know about that place is, well, nothing. We don't even know if it's a church. People just assumed that it was a church, nowhere does it state that it is.

Anyway, if the word "god" is mentioned in pokemon, Nintendo gets sued by someone who thinks that they are trying to get little children to worship Arceus.

I agree, I posted something like that a few pages back.

Also, on Mt. Coronet Cyrus says "I will become a DIETY," not god

How is that relevant?

Last edited:

SSparky

How is that relevant?

I believe fredburger999 was using that as an example of where you'd expect a character to use the word "god" but instead it was substituted for the word "deity" supporting the notion that Nintendo wont use the word "god" in the games.

People seem to be doing that anyway.
Suing Nintendo over this or people worshiping a video game character? I don't see people doing either...

Last edited:

Grei

not the color
People just assumed that it was a church, nowhere does it state that it is.

That's the point. I'm sure you have some idea of how much trouble Nintendo could potentially get into if they actually put up a sign that said "Pokemon Church". There are enough crazies out there that could make a big fit about the Pokemon games if it turned out that Nintendo referenced a religion where Pokemon were worshipped.

And look at the design of the building. Stained-glass windows, pews, statues of Pokemon? It's hard not to think it's a church.

The words that the people inside say have some relevance, too. One talks about tolerance and not judging others (bottom right pew), one talks about unity (boy on the left), one talks about spirit (top right man). A lot of these things can be related to virtues, which would be spoken of in a church.

I guess, if Nintendo can't directly say in-game that there are Pokemon Gods and churches, then this debate will never end.

Last edited:

randomspot555

That's the point. I'm sure you have some idea of how much trouble Nintendo could potentially get into if they actually put up a sign that said "Pokemon Church". There are enough crazies out there that could make a big fit about the Pokemon games if it turned out that Nintendo referenced a religion where Pokemon were worshipped.

That thread is full of retarded crap, and the three cases cited in the OP aren't "crazy" at all, nor do any of them cite religious or spiritual grievances at all.

And look at the design of the building. Stained-glass windows, pews, statues of Pokemon? It's hard not to think it's a church.

The outside does not look like a church. No steeple, no bell tower...no mention of religion (or even a vague reference) or worshipping. It looks more like the mosques of Istanbul.

The words that the people inside say have some relevance, too. One talks about tolerance and not judging others (bottom right pew), one talks about unity (boy on the left), one talks about spirit (top right man). A lot of these things can be related to virtues, which would be spoken of in a church.

A lot of those are just re-iterations of the common themes in Pokemon games...in fact, all of them are. You know, the stuff about bonding with Pokemon, the power of a team, friendship conquers all.

I guess, if Nintendo can't directly say in-game that there are Pokemon Gods and churches, then this debate will never end.

I doubt they actually have an official policy stating such. But at the same time, why would they want to? If you want to do religious stuff, you got the real world. Video games are for an escape, a time away from the real world.

ForeverFlame

I don't know why half of you are acting all censored. In Japanese culture, using "God" references is fairly common. But of course, in the United States of America, where "thy shall not have sex until thy are 83 years of age", everybody always acts offended for the silliest reasons.

Anyway, Arceus is either "Creator of the Universe", or "A God-like Being". I think that he's both, but I've been here for a couple of years now, and I know from experience than it's impossible to please the folks around here.

ArceusOwner

Catch a fallin star
um in the Sinnoh legends it is said that Dialga and Palkia WERE WORSHIPPED AS DIETIES! so dont you think that if Arceus created them than he is the most important diety???

Status
Not open for further replies.