• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Pokemon Heroes: Another Legend (Altoshipping, PG13)

AscendingLatios

Volcano Trainer
Nice work! I really liked how you used the Japanese version of the legend and DMA, and also like how you fleshed out the reasons why the people of Altomare felt they needed to build additional protection in the first place, which AFAIK isn't even present in the Japanese version of the film.

Kinda sad that Lorenzo and Bianca didn't make the cut. :( They added some nice local flavor to the film.

This FF version of Ash I could believe would notice a correspondence between the two shadows he saw. Anime Ash however would be totally clueless about it, however! :D He couldn't even put two and two together when it came to Sabrina and her father during the first season. ;)

Arrow

The Southern Cross
Yeah, it is interesting you managed to throw in FF spells...what about summons?

Sumnor

Altoshipper!!
Hi guys, it's Sumnor! Unfortunately, there's some bad news: You probably noticed that I haven't updated my fic yet (which was every Tuesday in my time). Well, writing a chapter in one week is too much for me, so I won't be able to post Chapter 5 in a while. I'm really sorry about that, but I will be able to work more on it and make it better... or at least make it less confusing. ^^;; I'll still be here to answer any questions and to thank you guys for your comments!:

AscendingLatios:
--I really liked the beginning portion of the Japanese version, so that's why I put it in my fic. =)
--Whenever I watch the 5th movie, I always wondered why the people of Altomare built the DMA when they already had Latios and Latias as their guardians. As you can see in Chapter 4, I put in one reason that I came up with in order to kinda explain that little confusion.
--Sorry I didn't include Lorenzo and Bianca, but I wanted to focus more on Latios and Latias... And also because I wouldn't be able to handle their personalities right! ^^;
--Oh, I remember that episode! Yeah, my FF version of Ash does know the relationship between the shadow at the race and the statue in front of the museum. ;) FF Ash is much more aware of things around him than the original Ash is. Heheh. =)

Arrow:
--Nah, Annie and Oakley aren’t part of Team Rocket here (as in the Japanese version). But I do want to shoot down their spy camera. :D
--It was nice of you to recognize Blizzara. About summons, can’t tell if they’re going to be in this fic, so you’ll have to wait and see.

Somehow I keep forgetting to post up the pic of my version of Latias in her human form! I bet some of you who visited the Altoshipping thread have already seen it, but I’m putting it up for those who haven’t (colored by Murgatroyd):

Wow, it seems so long ago... Anyway, I'm off to work on my fic! I'll see you guys later! =)

Arrow

The Southern Cross
I also recognized "gil" as a "foreign currency". XD

Murgatroyd

Dull Manga Avatar
I have checked this thread with regard to the rules. Here are my findings.

1) As the name already is implying, your fanfic needs to contain any Shipping Material So don't just make a general fic and only add
'' and in the end they liked eachother'' No, this is a shipping forum, so make it Shippy.
--Shippy material is present.

2) Don't make it too short. Don't make it only 10 lines~The End. Make sure it does make sense. One shots are good, just don't make it too small. No less than a page on a standard Word Processor.
--Chapters are 3-6 pages each.

3) Don't only post: Cool chapter, make more!!!!!!!11111111oneoneone.
You don't have to write a complete review, since we aren't FanFics, but still don't give spammy replies. Make sure it does make sense.
--Reviews seem okay.

4) This is an important rule. Your fic must have a rating in the title OR in the first post of the thread
[description of ratings removed]
Always rate your fic in the title or first post. The fics which we move from Fanfics maybe dont have it yet, but new fics must have it in the title

This will show people in which rating they wish to read a fic and what not.
--Rating is in first post, I am adding it to the title.

5) Do not make seperate threads for each chapter. Keep them all together in one thread.
--No violation.

6) Don't Bash or Flame the author for a shipping which you don't support. People are allowed to voice their opinions, but don't go too far. Bashing and Flaming in any form will be punished.
--No flames present.

7) If you think something is not right with the rating of the Fic. PM one of the Shipping mods and let them look at it.
--I see no problem with the rating.

8) Also put the shipping name in the title, so that people know about which Shipping you made a fic. If you don't want to put the shipping name on the title of the thread, simply put the major shipping(s) in the beginning of your first post. If you want to add some extra, minor ships in the fic, you may put it in the end of the fic or the beginning of the fic.
--Done

IGAF

Eeveelution Trainer
If this fic was locked, why can we still post to the thread?

Besides, I didn't see anything wrong with it.

Last edited:

Murgatroyd

Dull Manga Avatar
You can still post to it because I unlocked it after checking it against the rules and fixing the one thing that looked like a minor violation.

Sumnor

Altoshipper!!
Hooray!

Weee, my fic is reopened! ^_^ I thank you for those who have gone to support me, and thank you Murgatroyd for checking and unlocking my fic! Hmm, I thought I put the rating in an obvious spot, but I guess I was wrong. ^^; Anyway, as “celebration,” I give you guys Chapter 5! This one is full of information (and it’s a long chapter, too), but I promise that this will be the last “slap-info-in-your-face” chapter! Heheh… Chapter 6 is where we start the action! =P

Chapter 5 is by far the hardest one to write (because of too much info to include), so there might be some mistakes that I overlooked… so if you guys find any of them, feel free to tell me and I’ll fix it. ^^;;;

Chapter 5

“… What’s taking him so long? We can’t wait for him in this museum all day long!” Triko complained. Both she and her GF were still standing around in the museum, thinking that Ash would come right back after that bizarre little event.

“But why would Ash run off like that? It doesn’t make sense,” Vrikesho pondered.

“I don’t know. Come on, we better go look for him before he gets lost out there,” Triko said as she started walking out of the museum. “I don’t want him to get into any trouble.”

Vrikesho,” the creature uttered in agreement, following his friend to the exit.

After wandering through the darkness for a short while, Ash could finally see light at the other end of the path. Latias let go of his hands and stood beside him, letting Ash go on ahead of her. He walked on towards the light, and when he reached it, he saw a grand and beautiful garden. It was filled with lush trees, green bushes, well-kept grass, and even Pokemon. There were various pools of calm water situated near the white stone lanes stretching out all over the garden. Ash could also see a great fountain and altar far off in the distance.

“This place is wonderful,” Ash said, turning to the girl. “Do you live here?”

Latias nodded to him, and then she took off down the stairs and turned left to the bushes. Confused, Ash followed her, and after running by a pool he saw her sitting on a swing, swaying up and down. As he neared her, Latias got off the seat and offered it to him. Still puzzled, Ash accepted her offer and sat down on the swing. This is it, thought Latias. She then stood in front of Ash, closing her eyes and taking a deep breath. Blue light soon shone on her, and instantly she transformed to her true Pokemon self!

“Waaah!!” was all Ash had managed to say about that! He grabbed on to the ropes of the swing to keep himself from falling off in surprise, but after gazing more closely at the red dragon Pokemon, he realized something. Wait a minute… the statue at the museum, the shadow, and her… eyes…! They’re just like—

Ash reached out his hands and slowly brought Latias’ bewildered face towards his own, staring at her golden eyes. He raised his right hand to his face… felt his lips with his gloved fingers, reminiscing that day at the race, and he asked her softly, “… Were you the one…?”

“Ash!! Are you in here?” a voice called out, interrupting their little moment. It came from the same entrance that Ash and Latias went through.

“Wha… Triko?” Ash said in surprise, recognizing her voice. Turning his head, he could already see her and Vrikesho walking into the sunlight and staring at the breath-taking scene in front of them. Triko’s reaction soon changed from marvel to anger the moment she saw Ash sitting on the swing.

“Where have you been, Ash?!” Triko glared at him. “We’ve been looking all over for you! Lucky I sensed you here before anything bad happened to you. We—hm?” she suddenly stopped herself. The way Ash was still holding up the red dragon’s head close to his own caught her attention. Realizing this, Ash immediately released his grasp and put his hands on his lap, looking down with a scant hint of red on his face.

“Excuse us for intruding on your premises, miss, but we were looking for our friend here. We were very worried about him…” Vrikesho apologized to Latias, just as Triko resumed her glaring at Ash, “… as you can see.”

“I’m sorry that I didn’t come back soon like I said, but I made a new friend, and she wanted to show me her home,” Ash explained, glancing at Latias for affirmation. The Pokemon nodded happily in agreement.

Triko sighed. “… All right. But don’t run off without telling us where you’re going, okay?”

“I won’t,” Ash smiled.

“Well, glad that’s settled, I guess. Sorry again for barging in like this,” Triko apologized to Latias. After the dragon accepted their forgiveness with a nod, a pair of footsteps was heard coming towards the group. When all of them turned their heads to see who it was, they saw a boy with blue hair looking angrily back at them.

“Sister, who are they?! What are they doing here?” the boy demanded Latias telepathically inside her head.

Latias hovered up to her brother and chirped excitedly. “No need to worry, Brother! They’re very kind, and they’re all my newest friends!”

“Friends or not, they are forbidden here! You know that,” the boy reminded his sister.

Latias shook her head sadly. “Brother… please?”

As the two were conversing with each other, Vrikesho, Ash, and Triko couldn’t help but overhear them... well, at least oversee their emotions, anyways.

“He’s mad at her for bringing me here… Man, I feel awful,” Ash said guiltily.

“Hey, Ash, this isn’t your fault. She wanted to bring you here,” Triko reassured.

Nodding, Vrikesho added, “She must really think you’re someone special to let you come to her beautiful garden home.”

“R-r-really?” Ash stuttered with interest. He looked down and smiled at the thought while Triko and Vrikesho looked at each other with sly smiles on their faces.

Finally finishing their conversation, the boy and the red dragon went up to the group.

“… I am sorry for my rude behavior, but it has been a long while since we have had any humans here. That’s why I was shocked to see you two humans here,” the boy said without moving his mouth.

“My brother and I have always lived here with no one else but the various Pokemon that visit our home,” Latias communicated to them in the same way.

Ash, Triko, and Vrikesho all glanced at one another. “You guys can speak psychically?” Ash asked. This wasn’t the first time the three experienced telepathic communication—in fact, they befriended a Pokemon with that ability, but he was the only one they met who had it, until now.

Latias giggled. “Right! It’s one of our species’ special powers.”

Something didn’t seem right with that explanation. “Uh, excuse me for asking this, but are you two siblings... in the same species? If that's true, then how is it that you’re a human… and you’re a Pokemon?” Triko asked, baffled.

“Oh! We’re terribly sorry for confusing you!” the boy exclaimed. “Well, I think it’s finally time for me to change back.”

“Change back…?” Vrikesho questioned. The boy nodded approvingly and closed his eyes. Doing just what Latias did for Ash, the boy transformed back into his Pokemon self: the blue Eon dragon Pokemon Latios!

Triko and Vrikesho just stood there staring at Latios with wide eyes while Ash grinned. “So you two are Latios and Latias, the legendary guardians of Altomare? And you have the ability to shapeshift into humans? That’s really neat!” Ash commented.

“Thank you, … um,” Latias started to say. Oh, I still don’t even know what his name was! she thought to herself.

Predicting what Latias was probably thinking, Ash smiled and answered her unsaid question. “Sorry for not giving our names earlier. My name’s Ash, and this is Vrikesho and Triko,” Ash extended his arm to his two friends as he introduced them.

Ash… so that’s his name… Latias thought to herself, happy to finally know after all this time.

“It’s a pleasure to meet you all. It seems my sister has chosen very good friends,” Latios complimented. “Well, you three must have already visited the Museum of Altomare and read all about us, have you?”

“Why, yes, that’s right,” Vrikesho confirmed. “How did you know?”

“The museum is very popular for both natives and tourists, so naturally I would think that anyone who comes here would take a visit there.”

“Oh. So everything written in that museum is true?” Triko asked.

Latias nodded to Triko. “Yes, they are. We made sure the writers got everything right,” she added in a smile.

“… So that must mean that you guys were still around before the museum was built?" Ash asked.

“Yes, that’s right--Ash. But we age at the same rate as people do.” Latias answered, happily uttering his name for the first time.

A perplexed Vrikesho spoke up. “I’m not sure we understand…”

Latios crossed his dragon arms. “We have the power to halt our growth. My sister and I decided long ago that we would keep our state as it was back then in order to protect our city for many generations. But we only have one chance to use it. Once we choose to return to our normal growth, we cannot stop our aging process again.”

“Hmmm… at least you have a choice to go back to a normal life…” Triko broke off, turning her solemn face away from the group. Ash stared after her with concern, not understanding her sudden change of mood. He knew something was bothering her, that’s for sure, but what it could be…

“*Ahem* Uh, please excuse me for asking, but Vrikesho, sir, what species are you? You don’t seem like a Pokemon I have ever seen, even though we have been here for several centuries,” Latios asked.

“Oh! U-u-uh… well…” Vrikesho stammered, desperately looking for something to answer Latios’ question.

“Er, you see…” Ash began, trying to help his GF friend in this awkward situation, but Triko interrupted.

“I think it’s time we explained some things,” Triko sighed. “Latios, Latias, the truth is that Vrikesho and I… are from another world.”

“Huh? From another world?” Latias repeated.

“How is that possible?”

“Well, just like you two have abilities specific to yourselves, Triko has the ability to travel into any world and time period she wishes,” Vrikesho explained.

“And that’s how we got to see each other. I’m originally from this world like you guys, and I guess by fate Triko ended up where I was… and a lot happened after that,” Ash added.

Triko nodded slowly in agreement, her eyes closed. “So much took place… We all fought for the things we believed in, suffered unbearable hardships… watched close ones die…”

“… We’re sorry. We never knew…” Latias apologized.

“No, it’s alright, Latias. A great friend of ours told us that we should always look towards the future and never let any sorrows of the past haunt us. So, I’m keeping on to her words and not let any losses I had to endure bring me down,” Ash said with determination.

I was right… Ash has been through so much… but he’s dealing with it so maturely… Latias thought with both sadness and pride.

“Hey, Latias?” Ash interrupted her thoughts. “What did you wanted to do when you brought me here? You know, I’m really looking forward to it!” Ash flashed a sweet smile in Latias’ direction.

Of course, Latias couldn’t protest at that! She faced her brother, who replied, “You two go on ahead.” Delighted, Latias took Ash’s hand like before and led him off to another part of the grand garden.

“Hmm, they seem to get along really well,” Triko observed the two from a distance. “It… makes me happy that Ash is finally enjoying himself after so long.”

“You know, I haven’t seen my sister this ecstatic either. It makes me wonder how they first met,” Latios said while they watched Ash and Latias beginning to play a game of tag.

Out of the corner of his eye, Vrikesho spotted a fountain and a beautifully designed altar a little ways off. “What is that over there?” Vrikesho asked Latios.

Latios turned to look at what Vrikesho was talking about. “That altar? It is where we keep the Soul Dew.”

“You mean the same blue orb that made the dark storm from the legend disappear with its light?” Triko recalled.

“That’s correct. We’ve been protecting it here ever since. Would you two like to see it?”

“Well, only if it’s alright with you,” Vrikesho said.

Smiling, Latios led the two up the stairs and turned to the right towards the altar with a small pool of bubbling water containing the glowing blue sphere.

“It’s really pretty,” Triko complimented.

“The Soul Dew also has the power to bring fresh, crisp water all over the city, which flows from this very altar,” Latios explained.

“So the jewel was the one that helped create the canals that are all over Altomare?” Vrikesho asked as Latios nodded in agreement.

“And it also allows more availability of clean, drinkable water in an island surrounded by ocean saltwater?” Triko elaborated.

The blue dragon smiled. “And that too, of course. The Soul Dew is very important to everyone living here. It is really the source of the whole city. Without it, the water will leave, giving the greatest possibility of the city’s downfall.”

“Something as terrible as that should be prevented, especially with so many lives at stake,” Vrikesho exclaimed.

“Which is why my sister and I take the safety of the Soul Dew very seriously… but some people do not realize that. Here, let me show you this,” Latios said, motioning Triko and Vrikesho to follow him. He turned his back to the podium and approached a floor full of gray stone tiles. Upon a closer inspection, each of the stone tiles had an inscription written in some kind of ancient language. They looked like instructions for operating a machine that looked very familiar, but the tiles were all scrambled out of order.

“Hey, isn’t that the machine in the museum, Latios?” Triko recollected.

“Yes, it is the same machine that was designed to further guard Altomare in a crisis, but at a risky price. The DMA requires the Soul Dew and a Latios or Latias host to give up as much of their energy as possible in order to provide the machine its power over Altomare.”

“What! How would the DMA protect Altomare if it’s putting its water source and guardians in danger?” Vrikesho cried.

“… That’s the very same thing I was thinking when they first built it, but we couldn’t do anything about it… they just shunned us…”

Triko and Vrikesho were now silent from shock. They never realized that Latios and Latias had to put up with such disrespect.

Breaking the silence, Latios added positively, “Fortunately, the machine was never used, so my sister, the Soul Dew, and I are still free from harm. And I doubt anyone would know how to get the DMA operating,” the dragon focused his attention to the stone tiles filled with ancient symbols, “especially with the instructions being difficult to solve.”

“Hey, you’re forgetting one thing: You and your sister are powerful guardian Pokemon, right? So of course you two can prevent anything like that from happening,” Triko reassured.

“I suppose it’s true,” Latios agreed, showing a valiant grin.

“Oh, before I forget, are there any other powers characteristic to your species? It really quite amazes me,” Vrikesho commented.

Latios thought for a few seconds. “Hmm, well, there are our feathers that can refract light to enable us to become invisible…”

“That seems very useful,” Triko stated.

“It is, Triko. I’ve used it quite often while patrolling Altomare,” Latios nodded. “… And there’s one last ability…”

“Hm, any idea what they’re talking about, Latias?” Ash was back sitting on the swing seat, with Latias levitating directly behind him and swinging right along his steady beat.

“Brother is probably explaining to them the Soul Dew, the DMA, and the stone inscriptions that are up there. He knows a lot of things,” Latias said as she held on to both of the swing’s ropes.

“Hey, you’re pretty smart, too. You did help with the information accuracy in the museum, remember?” Ash declared, but after a slight pause, Ash added in a very low whisper, “And you knew what to do when I passed out from that attack yesterday.” Ash soon fixed his sight on Latias’ face in admiration. The red dragon suddenly felt his warm gaze on her, so she looked down and saw Ash’s kind expression in return. Both of them stared at each other’s eyes for an instant, until Ash turned his head to the ground with red on his face.

“U-uh, want to switch places, Latias?” Ash asked quickly, trying to cover up his awkward behavior.

“… Okay…” Ash then got up and went around to the back of the seat, climbed up, and mounted his feet on it as Latias flew to the front slowly and levitated over the seat. I wonder why Ash is being so nervous… Was it something I did to make him act this way? … , but Latias didn’t have another second to find the answer since her eyes started glowing a psychic blue aura.

“Latias? What’s wrong?” Ash asked in alarm when he saw what happened to her eyes.

“Don’t worry, Ash. This is Sight Sharing,” Latias said, glancing at him.

“Sight Sharing?” Ash asked, stepping down from the swing.

Just then, the two could hear Triko running up to them. “Latios told us to come here with you guys. He wanted to show us something,” Triko said as Vrikesho landed next to the group after his short flight from the altar.

Immediately the scene around them started to swirl out of view. The image that replaced the garden was a vision of the blue sky with scattered white clouds.

“Wha…” Ash stared in wonder. It felt like he was actually flying in the sky, but his feet were still placed firmly on the ground. “Latias, what’s going on?”

“We’re seeing exactly what Brother is seeing. He can send me his perspective of a place and from there I can project it for you guys to see. It’s called Sight Sharing. Right now Brother is flying high over Altomare,” Latias explained.

The clouds moved away to reveal the beautiful grand island in full. “This is incredible,” Triko remarked. The scene then moved closer to the island, picking up incredible speed as it went.

“Whoa, it’s like a roller coaster!” Ash cried in excitement. As soon as Latios approached the Altomare grounds, he made a sharp turn to the left and zigzagged all through the alleyways and buildings, zipping by various people without being noticed, thanks to his invisible feathers.

“I’d never thought of flying like this before,” Vrikesho thought, planning on trying it out himself. After a few more turns around the buildings, Latios dived down in one of the canals. He swam straight ahead the path, passing schools of Quagsire and Remoraid that were swimming in the same canal.

“Latias, can you tell Latios that we thank him for letting us have the chance to experience something so amazing?” Ash asked. Latias nodded happily as her brother continued his Sight Sharing tour of the city.

“Wow, that’s amazing. I never knew those two could even do that,” Annie complimented as she stared at the laptop screen.

“Good thing we made our camera follow Latias and that boy. Now we know where they keep the Soul Dew. Haha, this is just too easy!” Oakley laughed.

Annie nodded. “I can’t wait to hold that jewel in my hands. Eeeee, it’ll match with all my outfits!” she squealed.

“So when do you want to start stealing that Soul Dew?” Oakley asked her cohort.

“How about tonight, when those two Pokemon are all sound asleep? It’ll be less work, and we’ll be able to take them by surprise!”

“All right, then, let’s go at midnight. Hm, I think since we have time, why don’t we prepare and get ready?”

“Right. I need to fix up my hair,” Annie said as the two ladies cackled and drove their boat off towards the secret garden.
-----------------------------
Reviews and comments are greatly appreciated! =)

IGAF

Eeveelution Trainer
Yatta! Another Chapter! I was beginning to worry...

I love how you describe the characters' emotions. It's so cute! Please keep up the good work!

Go Sumnor!

R

~*Ratiosu*~

I'm not one of your regular reviewrs, but this is a really good fic. I like FF and thought this was a good crossover thinger. I like the divergence from the original and if you can, can you draw a picture of Vriekesho, I only played one FF game, but I looked it up and it sounds cool.

OMG, your Latios human picture was so good! I've always wondered what he looks like in human form, why don't they put him in human form in the movie? And I hate how he dies, he's the best ever, I cried when I saw it.

Long Live Latios!

Sumnor

Altoshipper!!
Oh, thanks for your kind feedback, IGAF and shinylatios! ^^

--I'm pleased that you liked Vrikesho, shinylatios, but he's not in any FF game; he's my original character. You can see his pic in the very first post of my shipping fic thread here. =)

--In fact, Latios was shown in human form in the 5th Pokemon movie. It was cut out from the original Japanese version, but you can see him in Serebii.net's 5th movie section "The Legend of Altomare" here.

I'm still working on Chapter 6 (even with all this testing going on at school), so please be patient! Again, if there are any questions, corrections, or anything, post them here and I'll try my best to answer them as soon as possible. =)

R

~*Ratiosu*~

sorry, forgot about that. like i said, i don't play Final Fantasy a lot, but I play it enough to know about this.

in the movie, though, they should have showed him in human form, at least, like yours. i was just rereading it.

i hope Latios doesn't die, i would cry again if he died.

Arrow

The Southern Cross
Hit Annie and Oakley with Knights of the Round and/or Omnislash and/or Renzolkuken combined with Lionheart!

AscendingLatios

Volcano Trainer
Not too bad, but a little less action-packed than I expected. It seems a bit sterile in places, like the characters are going through the motions to just get from one line of dialogue to the next. I'm not sure sterile is the the best word to describe it. Maybe its because because this chapter had to be a lot "wordier" than most of the other chapters?

Also, I guess I kind of miss Ash's face-plant during the swing scene - that's one of the best scenes of the 5th movie! :D

Looking forward to chapter 6! :)

IGAF

Eeveelution Trainer
I think that It's pretty good. Even in an action fic, there needs to be chapters with more dialogue than action (unless, of course, it's a one-shot ^_~). The descriptions of the surroundings could use a little work, but everything else is well written. Keep up the good work Sumnor!!! ^_^

Arrow

The Southern Cross
Requesting an update.

IGAF

Eeveelution Trainer
I second that request. ^_^ I'm excited to see what will happen differently in the garden with Annie and Oakly, and personally, I want to see Ash get FF on their butts!

Sumnor

Altoshipper!!
Wow, you're all so excited for the next chapter! Thanks, everyone! ^^ Well, I've been working really hard in Chapter 6 (and trying to avoid the mistake in Ch. 5), and here it is! ^^ It's actually longer than Ch. 5, so I hope you guys will have a big enough appetite. XD As promised, there's action in here, plus some very shippy moments! ^__^ The beginning might be a little slow, but it'll get more interesting later. =)

Chapter 6

“Thanks again for showing us your Sight Sharing abilities. We had a really great time,” Ash thanked Latios after the Pokemon returned back to the garden from his exhilarating flight.

“It was my pleasure, Ash,” Latios replied. But as soon as he finished speaking, however, he saw through the tall trees that the sky had by now taken an orange, yellow, and purple color. “It’s getting late. I’m terribly sorry for keeping you three here long. You must go on back before dark.”

Latias trilled sadly, unable to believe that the day was over. Latios gave her a comforting tap on the back. “I know, Sister, but they need to rest up and regain their energy. They must be tired,” he said. He then turned his head to Triko and asked her, “Do you mind telling us where you’ll be staying at so all of us can keep in contact with each other?”

Strangely, Triko felt uneasy upon hearing that. It seemed like she forgot to do something important... “Well, uh, you see… I… still haven’t found a place for us to stay at yet.”

“What?” Ash cried incredulously. “What about that Pokemon Center you guys took me to?”

Triko closed her eyes and shook her head. “Sorry, can’t. I was only able to get you there because it was an emergency. Now that you’re all right, only Pokemon trainers get to stay at the Center, and since you aren’t one anymore, we don’t have that luxury,” Triko said, glaring at Ash accusingly.

Ash couldn’t believe what Triko just did. “Are you blaming me? It wasn’t my fault that I didn’t get a hotel reservation after all this time, Triko!” Ash exclaimed, giving her another glare back.

Apparently, this caused Triko to burn up in rage. “Look, Ash! I was busy looking for you when you ditched us at the museum! What do you—”

“Calm down, you two!” Vrikesho quickly held out his wings to physically break up Triko’s and Ash’s arguing. “This isn’t getting us anywhere. We’ll just have to manage with the time we have left and find the nearest hotel from here,” he resolved.

Vrikesho’s reasonable plan only made Latias worry. They can’t find a hotel in time; there isn’t any around here. Only homes and a few shops… but after some quick thinking she thought up of a wonderful idea.

“You guys can stay here! Brother and I will take very good care of all of you while you stay, and then we’ll be able to play more!” Latias suggested excitedly, a gleam of light shining in her eyes.

Ash became really fond of the idea as he fixed his view on Latias’s beaming face. “That sounds great, Latias! Triko, can we stay here? Please?” he pleaded with his fists clenched in eagerness.

Ash’s friend was hesitant. “Well, I guess we could, but only if it’s alright with Latios.”

“You’re more than welcome to stay. I can’t be rude, leaving you out alone in the city at night,” the blue dragon affirmed.

Vrikesho smiled at the sibling’s kindness. “Thank you for your hospitality, Latias and Latios. We appreciate it tremendously.”

Latios nodded, “It really is no problem, but I’m afraid that I won’t be here long to keep you company. I must keep my position as guardian and go make my nightly rounds around Altomare.”

This particularly caught Triko’s attention. “Nightly rounds? So you actually confront criminals and the like?”

“And bring them to justice too, of course. Why?” Latios asked.

A smile slowly crept up to her face. “Eheh… I would like to come with you on your patrol of the city. I haven’t been able to battle for so long since I came to this world!” Triko said enthusiastically, pulling out her spear-ax in a warrior-like stance.

Never before did Latios ever think of a human participating in combat without receiving aid from a Pokemon! Then again, she is from a different world than their own, but eventually his brother instincts took over. “Are you sure you can handle it? It will get dangerous out there,” the blue dragon warned.

“Hey, don’t worry, Latios! Triko can handle it,” Ash stepped in. “She has lots of experience in fighting. She even helped me learn how to battle with my staff, so she’ll be a real big help to you!”

“And I’ll also be coming along with you, Latios. Triko and I are inseparable,” Vrikesho added positively.

Latios nodded reluctantly. “So the three of us are going? The more the merrier, I guess. Sister, I need you to stay here and protect our garden home and the Soul Dew,” he instructed Latias.

“Okay, Brother!” Latias raised one claw in a “thumbs-up”.

“Ash, do you want to come along?” Latios asked him.

The boy shook his head. “No thanks, you guys go on ahead. I’ll stay here and help out Latias,” Ash replied in a smile.

“All right. You two will be staying here,” Latios agreed. The arrangements are working out quite well, surprisingly… but there still seems to be one thing that bothers me… he thought with concern. Suddenly, as if a light bulb had just clicked in his head, he became aware of the idea of Ash and Latias being alone together at night...

As the dragon went in a deep disconcerting thought, Triko and Vrikesho were already at the exit. “Come on, Latios! Let’s get going!” Triko called out to him.

“Don’t worry about us, Brother. We’ll be fine. Take care!” Latias reassured him as he flew off after his new patrol group, shrugging away the idea.

After the three disappeared through the passageway, Ash turned to Latias slowly. “So… Latias? What do you want to do now?” he asked.

Latias thought for a moment. “You know, I feel like playing tag again! How about it?”

Coincidentally, tag was just the thing Ash wanted to do as well! “Sure, let’s play that! Who’s it?”

The red dragon teasingly poked him on his shoulder. “You are!” she cried as she started to dart away from him.

“Hey! Latias, come back here!” Ash laughed as he ran after her.

A small scatter of crickets chirping ceaselessly filled every corner of an empty town square situated in the center of the island. The bright moon and the street lights brightened the place as Triko, Vrikesho, and Latios (in his human form) arrived there at nightfall.

“Hmmm, I think it would be better if we split up; we’ll cover more ground in less time that way,” Latios suggested.

“Yeah, we should do that,” Triko agreed, looking all over the place.

“Yes, but I must come with Triko. We work better as a team--and also because I need to make sure she doesn’t get herself into trouble again,” Vrikesho smiled.

Triko turned to her friend, arms crossed. “Vrikesho… You know full well that I can take care of myself,” she smiled back.

Latios chuckled. “It’s settled then. I’ll take the eastern part of Altomare while you two take the west. When we’re done patrolling, we’ll meet back at this spot. Do you know your way around the city?”

Triko thought for a second, looking down at the cobblestones. “Well, Vrikesho can fly above the city and pinpoint where we are from this square, so getting lost shouldn’t be a problem,” she explained.

“All right, then. I’ll see you later,” Latios said as he transformed back to his Pokemon self and disappeared through the dark streets.

After watching their blue Pokemon friend leave, Triko spoke up, “Finally, it’s time for us to battle!” She drew her weapon out gallantly. “But you know? I kinda want to go back to that garden and check up on Ash and Latias,” she said as she lowered her weapon to her side.

“Why? They’ll take care of that place and themselves. You don’t need to worry about them,” Vrikesho said, confused.

“No, it’s not that. Besides getting an opportunity to train, there’s another reason why I wanted us to come out here and leave those two there…” Triko said, giving that same sly smile from before.

A pause. “… You didn’t!” Vrikesho cried, finally making the connection. “I’m surprised I haven’t thought of that sooner!”

“Heheh. Come on, let’s get to work,” Triko chuckled cheerfully as they made their way westward.

Back at the secret garden, Ash and Latias had finally stopped chasing each other, being completely exhausted from running and flying all over the place. Nevertheless, it was one of the most fun they ever had.

The two decided to take a rest at the base of a large tree. Ash took off his staff strapped on his back, set it aside, and sat himself down on the ground with his back leaning against the grand tree. Latias had taken a spot just a few feet away from Ash’s left, planting her front body on the grass.

Today was filled with so many incredible things! I can’t possibly be able to forget such wonderful moments… especially the ones with Ash, Latias thought joyfully. I’m so glad we’re finally together again. He’s… the only human friend I ever had, since that day our human parents rescued us on the beach… She sighed. Even with my brother and some wild Pokemon visiting us, I can’t help but feel lonely, watching people going about their lives from a distance, never able to say a simple “Hi” to them at all…

“Latias, what’s wrong?” The red dragon looked up from her troubled thoughts, and met Ash’s concerned face in return.

“Oh, it’s nothing. I’m fine… now,” she replied quietly.

“… Latias…?” Ash felt something was wrong that was making his friend so silent. Hmm, was it because…? “Is it something that happened yesterday? You know, the two women who chased you before?” He gave an encouraging smile to her. “Well, you don’t need to worry about that anymore, Latias! I’ll be what they thought I was: your bodyguard. From now on, I’ll protect you from anything that’ll even think of hurting you. So don’t look so down, okay?”

Latias nodded in surprise, still speechless. What Ash mentioned wasn’t what she was contemplating about, though. But still, it was so kind of him to make such a caring offer to her, and it made her blush slightly. However, after thinking about yesterday’s events a little more in detail, she remembered another name the two ladies called him. It reminded her of something that she had always wondered since she met Ash face to face in the open circular rest place. “Ash… I’ve been wondering. I don’t mean to sound rude or intrusive at all, but… how did you get those scars on your face?”

Ash just sat there silently, staring at the ground with a disturbed look on his face.

Latias immediately regretted asking that question. How could she be so cold and touch upon an incident that was so sensitive to him? She got up and tried to apologize to Ash sincerely, but he stopped her by raising his left hand. “It’s okay, Latias. I’m all right now, and it’s all that matters. These scars are nothing but a reminder of a distant memory,” Ash reassured her.

The Pokemon gradually floated back down and rested her head on the grass reluctantly, but Ash reached out his arm and patted her on the head, showing her that it wasn’t bothering him. Latias really is a great Pokemon, but whenever I’m around her, I get this weird feeling. Is it like I’m… drawn to her? No, that’s the word for it. It’s more like I want to be there for her, stay by her side for as long as possible… but I’m not really sure why. Ash tried to find an answer, but then all of a sudden a little girl’s voice boomed inside his head, “It’s love, dummy! Don’t you get it? Just look at Zidane and Garnet, and Squall and Rinoa; they want to be with each other to the very end. That is what love is, Ash! Argh!”

Ash chuckled softly to himself, remembering her irritated explanation clearly. Anyone can tell that it was Eiko speaking. She was always impatient with him, waiting for him to “take the first move,” or whatever that meant. She gave up on him, though, being too tired of having to explain so many things for him.

So this is what I’m feeling? If Eiko was right about wanting to be with someone to the very end, then maybe I’m—? He shook his head quickly in disbelief. No, it can’t be. I mean, we’re totally different; she’s a Pokemon, and I’m a human. It can’t happen , but Ash had trouble believing that himself. In fact, he didn’t even care about their differences at all anymore. His impulse to be there for Latias and protect her was much stronger than what any reasoning could do.

Ash closed his eyes and took a deep breath of cold, crisp night air. When he opened his eyes again after a moment, his gaze fell on his Pokemon friend. She was already asleep, curling herself in against the chilly evening. Without thinking, Ash quietly moved closer to her. He held her head tenderly and brought it closer to him gently, slowly placing it on his lap to make her more comfortable. The red dragon noticed the change in warmth, even as she was still asleep. And unaware of what she was doing, she nuzzled her head against Ash’s chest, making him blush furiously. He later put his left arm around her neck and his right hand on her forehead and looked up to the twinkling stars. He smiled as he stroked her affectionately.

“(Good night… Latias.)”

*~*~*

Not too far off from where the secret garden was were the cunning thieves Annie and Oakley making their way through the top of Altomare’s buildings. By moonlight, they jumped from rooftop to rooftop with skills and precision unsurpassed by most people—in their world, that is.

“You sure it’s this way, Oakley?” Annie asked skeptically.

“Of course it is! Stop asking!” Oakley replied, annoyed.

“Sorry, but I don’t want to waste this one chance to get the Soul Dew,” defended Annie. “Oh yeah, I almost forgot. Shouldn’t we try to catch both Latios and Latias while we’re at it anyway? We can get a fortune for a set of those rare Pokemon!” she suggested.

Her partner considered the idea grudgingly. “Well… all right, fine. We’ll catch them both, but if things don’t work out the way we planned, it’s your fault,” she gave in.

Annie smiled broadly. It wasn’t often that Oakley would listen to her plans, much less do them. Just then, however, the sight of the secret garden’s entrance caught her eye. It made her jump in excitement, literally. “I think this is it!” she exclaimed as she landed on the street below, with Oakley right behind.

“Shall we go in and say hello?” Oakley asked, having fun.

The other thief giggled as she faced the dark corner. “We’re guests after all.”

At that, both Annie and Oakley began walking through the hidden entrance, with Oakley lighting the dark path using a small flashlight. A cool breeze from ahead blew through the two’s hair as they made their way, assuring the thieves that they found what they were looking for. After a while of struggling through the narrow passageway, the two finally reached the end as the great garden loomed over them…

“Huh?”

Back at the base of the grand tree, Ash had sensed something, someone coming in the garden. He knew without a doubt that it was intruder; it couldn’t be his friends arriving back from their night patrol. He heard the tapping of high-heeled shoes approaching, and knew full well that it wasn’t Triko—she wouldn’t be caught dead wearing those. Ash lifted Latias’s head up from his lap and set her down on the grass, careful not to wake her up. He then stood up and put his back close against the tree, listening closely to pinpoint the intruder’s location.

Feeling cold again, Latias yawned and finally opened her eyes. She saw that it was still dark outside. Confused, the Pokemon looked around and saw Ash standing there, concentrating on searching for something with an alarmed expression on his face.

“(Ash, what’s going on?)” Latias asked in a concerned but shaky whisper. It was evident that she was scared.

Hearing her, the boy turned his head and saw that she was awake. “(Latias!)” He kneeled down and faced her. “(There’s someone breaking in here. Just stay behind this tree so they won’t see us, okay? I’ll try to drive them out of here,)” he explained as Latias nodded worriedly.

“Hmm, where are those guardian Pokemon? I thought they were playing with that strange group,” Annie thought out loud.

Oakley turned off her flashlight and put on her tech sunglasses. She observed all around the garden through them--and found Ash and Latias’s body heat easily behind a tree. “Well, I think they’re sleeping right now,” she played around.

Annie had her sunglasses on, too, and picked up on what her partner was doing. “No, I think that they’re still playing,” she smirked. “They must want to play hide-and-seek with us, Oakley.” She took out her PokeBall. “Too bad for them, though, ‘cause I see ‘em… There! Espeon, Swift!!” she commanded as she threw her PokeBall.

The Espeon flew out from it in a white light, ran towards the tree, and spat out a flurry of sharp yellow stars right at Ash and Latias. Ash by quick instinct picked up his staff from the ground with his right hand, pulled Latias behind him with his left arm, and deflected Espeon’s Swift attack by spinning his weapon fast in front of him. The stars rebounded from it and hit the attacking Pokemon directly in the face. The Espeon was flung backwards in pain, but as it stood back up, ready for more, Annie called it to stop.

“Now now, Espeon, no need to get excited right now. We need to negotiate with these two first,” Annie declared as the thieves and Oakley’s Ariados approached the two.

Seeing who the intruders were made Ash infuriated. It was those women who attacked Latias before! “You two! What do you want?!” he yelled at them, still keeping Latias behind him and holding his staff threateningly.

The thieves, on the other hand, weren’t as surprised or intimidated to see Ash. “Oh, it’s Scar-boy! Haha, I knew you’d be around to protect your sweet little Latias. But, you can always give up your bodyguard job and hand her over to us. It’ll be much easier that way for everyone, and we won’t hurt a single feather on her,” Oakley explained.

“Never!!” Ash swung his staff through the air in anger, shocking Latias as she floated behind him. She never saw him this angry, and seeing that it was all for her protection made her pure white cheeks pink…

Annie put a hand to the side of her waist and smirked. “He’s getting all feisty now, isn’t he? Well, I guess we have no choice but to take Latias by force, then! Espeon, Psychic!”

“Ariados, Night Shade!” Oakley ordered next. The two Pokemon promptly followed their trainers’ commands and aimed their attacks at the dragon Pokemon. But immediately Ash thrust his left arm in front of him and cast a large protective pink sphere—Shell.

As his magic blocked off the red and black beams, Ash cried out, “Go, Latias! I’ll hold them off while you escape! Hurry!”

Latias, however, refused to go and leave Ash alone to fight the Pokemon by himself. She nudged her head sadly on his shoulder to show that she wasn’t going anywhere without him. Feeling her concern, Ash turned to her and smiled calmly, “Don’t worry about me, Latias. Just go. I can’t hold this barrier much longer, anyway. You better get out of here.” Indeed, Ash’s left arm was shaking and struggling to keep the Shell magic working. Latias nodded at Ash and used her feathers to refract the moonlight, causing her to become invisible as she flew away.

After waiting for a few moments to make sure Latias was already gone, Ash finally shot the pink barrier forward at Espeon and Ariados, knocking both of them to the ground as it dissipated. Ash then leaped high over the two Pokemon—and prepared to land his staff at Annie and Oakley! However, the thieves narrowly missed his downward strike by cart wheeling out of the way.

“Hasn’t anyone told you that you shouldn’t hit a girl?!” Oakley scolded Ash.

Ash responded angrily, “You’re one to talk! You tried to harm Latias!” He gave another swing of his staff at Oakley, who barely dodged it again by jumping out of the way.

“Latias is a Pokemon, silly. She’s not human like us, so she can take a hit,” Annie declared as she joined Oakley’s side.

Ash was now furious. That insensitive statement made him go right over the edge. “Latias is more human than you two will ever be!!” he yelled at them. Ash gave all his might into another strike at the thieves, and this time his attack connected. His staff struck right across Annie and Oakley’s bewildered faces, which caused them to fall to their hands in a pain they never felt before.

“… Heheh… you’re quite a tough bodyguard, Scar-boy, but strength isn’t everything in this case…” Oakley chuckled as she struggled to get up.

“What do you mean?” Ash demanded.

Both the thieves had finally recovered from Ash’s attack and stood up strong. “It’s cleverness that stands out. We’re not here just for Latias and Latios, you know. Our Pokemon are looking for something else,” Annie said menacingly.

Ash was confused. What else were they looking for besides the guardians of Altomare…? He thought hurriedly… and then it finally hit him: The Soul Dew. Ash instantly ran towards the jewel’s altar to his left, but Annie and Oakley blocked him off in time. “You’re not gonna leave us, Scar-boy. Our Pokemon will get the Soul Dew; no need to do it yourself. You’ll stay right here!” Oakley commanded as she took out a compressed net of elastic plasma…

Meanwhile, Latias had made her way towards the large water fountain at the base of the altar. There was a hidden underwater tunnel there that led out to the streets of the city, and then she’ll be able to search for her brother, Triko, and Vrikesho and get help.

Before she dived in the water, however, she caught Espeon and Ariados out of the corner of her eye. They seemed to be scurrying over to the Soul Dew’s resting place! Latias turned sharply away from the water’s surface and quickly flew directly at the two Pokemon. The moment Ariados was about to grab the blue sphere with its forearm, Latias gave it a tackle on its side. The spider Pokemon rolled and landed on its back as it moved its legs wildly, trying to balance itself right up again. On the other hand, Espeon just stood still and closed its eyes, concentrating on the invisible Pokemon’s movements by reading the varying air currents with its large ears and forked tail. As Latias prepared another tackle, this time at Espeon, the Sun Pokemon opened its red eyes and aimed a Psybeam at the Eon Pokemon. It scored a direct hit that made the now visible dragon fall to the hard stone floor.

“Latias!!”

Ash had yelled out her name the moment he saw her hit the floor. He tried to make a run for her, but Oakley acted more quickly. “Looks like you couldn’t protect her! How pitiful,” the silver-blue haired woman ridiculed Ash. “Now she’s ours!” She then threw her ball of plasma that expanded wide like a web in the air. As soon as Latias pushed herself back up, she was instantly wrapped around with the contraption! The black balls on the net then sent out a spark of red electricity that made Latias cringe and cry in extreme pain.

Ash couldn’t take any more of this. His friend was suffering, and he had to save her now! He lifted his left hand up in the air and cast another spell. Orange-yellow light engulfed him as Annie and Oakley watched in astonishment. An image of a yellow clock appeared in front of him with its hands starting to speed up. Once the clock disappeared, Ash dashed towards the criminals with unbelievable speed.

“He’s moving twice as fast!” Annie managed to exclaim before she was struck and knocked hard against a tree. Oakley faced the same situation after her as well. Unfortunately, while Ash was busy fighting with Annie and Oakley, their Pokemon continued on their mission. The Ariados crawled up the steps to the Soul Dew and used its jaws to grab it while Espeon stood watch. Consequently, the jewel wouldn’t budge as the spider pulled on it, but only by anchoring its legs on the altar’s frame did Oakley’s Pokemon managed to pry it out.

Their mission complete, the Espeon took out its held item and activated it. It was a Smoke Ball that could emit black smog and enable the holder to escape without trouble. The thick smoke rapidly traveled to where the three humans were, interrupting Ash’s battle.

“Time to get out of here!” Oakley was glad to say. She didn’t want to deal with Ash and his freaky powers anymore.

“Ta-ta, Scar-boy!” Annie called out. All four of the intruders then navigated through the smoke with ease, leaving Ash there to cough from the pollution. When the smog finally disappeared, there was no trace of them anywhere. Ash’s Haste spell had also worn off by then, and so he returned back to his normal speed.

“Latias!” Ash cried out, still keeping her safety first in his mind. He ran up the stone stairs and found Latias lying there beyond, unmoving and unconscious. “No…Latias…” he whispered. When he came up to her, he fell down on his knees and immediately ripped off the plasma net still entangling her. After he freed her from all of her bindings, Ash held Latias close to him. She was filled with burns from the net’s electricity, and her breathing was slow and weak. I have to get someone to help her… Ash thought worriedly. Or she’ll… No! That’s not going to happen! I’ll have to get someone for her quick! Ash then shifted his position to Latias’s side, put her head and arms over his shoulders, and carefully carried her on his back.

“Please, Latias, hold on…” Ash begged his friend. “I’ll get help for you, I promise. Just don’t leave me…” He staggered onward to the garden’s exit, desperately clutching on to Latias as he made his relentless search.
-----------------------------
*Sniff* So sweet of Ash… Anyway, hope you guys enjoyed this chapter! ^^

Arrow

The Southern Cross
Yaaaaaaa hooo!

Ash and Eiko? o_O She always seems to go for really older guys...

Hahahaha, I'm still trying to get over Ash using FF spells in the Pokemon universe. Annie and Oakley go wide-eyed as he casts them spells...XDXDXD Ohhh, that was just TOO GOOD!

IGAF

Eeveelution Trainer
Yes! A chapter update! Very nice fight scene I must say. It appears that Ash is a force to be recconned with! ^_^