• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Pokemon Home

Mr.Munchlax

Great Ball Rank Trainer
What's everyone's opinions on the pokémon models/sprites used for Home? They're ok, but I think I'd prefer the same game models that they've been using since Gen 6 and that everyone & their Aunt Trixie have been complaining about -_-

Det. Viper

That’s Detective Viper to you
With Pokémon Home coming out in about a month’s time has there been any official word on if Totem Sized Pokémon will retain their size in Sword and Shield?

I have both Totem Kommo-o and Mimikyu with competitive movesets and IVs/HT’d and would love to bring in a large Kommo-o into the battle tower.

Golden_Arcanine

I got SwSh November for my birthday, 300 for the Switch, of course 20 for online to trade, 60 dollars for the base game, now another 30 for the “DLC” (aka content they cut to resell to us later) now if I want the full experience of this one game I have to throw out $16 for my Pokémon. Pokémon is the biggest franchise in the world, they can do better than this. Oh and of course bank so another $5.

So...you're drawing the line in the sand over the $16 you need to fork over for HOME? That seems like an odd place to draw a line in the sand. Less than 5% of the cost goes towards HOME.

Flamer

What's everyone's opinions on the pokémon models/sprites used for Home? They're ok, but I think I'd prefer the same game models that they've been using since Gen 6 and that everyone & their Aunt Trixie have been complaining about -_-

I really like that they've got the same poses as the original Sugimori artwork. Bringing back the old player avatars is a nice touch too. Wonder if it'll just be the protagonists, or if we'll be able to choose from NPC's avatars as well

All in all I'm pretty happy with what they've shown so far. Being able to trade and use the GTS on my phone is going to be very handy. Am disappointed they won't be supporting Go at launch. One of the biggest draws of the whole service for me was the ability to transfer your Go Pokemon and use them in game. Guess my non Gen-1 Pokemon will have to wait a little longer to join me on an adventure and experience proper battles

Fairy King

I know that everyone gets a free month of bank with a premium subscription upon release. If my Bank sub expired over a year ago, do y'all think the free month will be like a renewal (with any surviving pokemon still there *fingers crossed*) or will it be like a brand new empty Bank account?

Ophie

Salingerian Phony
One alternative, albeit a pretty slow one, is that you can get someone else to transfer your Pokémon for you. Since I had planned on getting Premium (I'm an adult with an office job; $16 is a drop in the bucket compared to the other bills and subscriptions I have to pay), I had also planned to help people bring Pokémon over, albeit I think I can only really do it one at a time with the resources I have. Certainly, I've already announced I'd do this over the Discord groups I'm in, though it looks like for the gaming communities that aren't Pokémon-centered, there isn't any interest in bringing them over.

R.I.P to those that intend to use Home as a means to store their collection since the 1-year Premium subscription costs somewhat close to a 1-year NSO subscription. At least NSO is not needed to access it. Only intend to get the 1 or 3-month plan just for the purpose of transferring over some of my breeding stock from the previous games.

And disappointing to me, as I have no need for storage outside of my games, and I can't imagine how anyone ever would.

I currently have about 55 full boxes in Pokémon Bank, and I have only 3 empty boxes left in Pokémon Shield. Pokémon Home will become available just in time before my in-game PC fills up.

Sheesh, if people are complaining about having to scrounge up $41 a year for NSO, Bank, and Home, imagine their horror once they actually grow up and buy a house, and all the hassles that come with it

Heh, that's what I was thinking. To be fair, when you're still a minor, something like $16 can look like a lot because you probably aren't earning much money. But in the adult world, these are the things that are roughly $16 (I haven't included things that vary wildly from person to person, such as interest on your credit card, income tax services, or monthly rent):

A Giant sized sandwich at Jersey Mike's
A large pizza
Three cups of coffee at Starbucks
Approximately one month of ad-free TV streaming...per service
Half a box of Blue Apron meal kits
Your monthly gas bill when it's not that cold out
Half to two-thirds of a tank of fuel for your car (and if you're like me and you live in a commuter city, you're filling up weekly)
Two weeks of car insurance if you're in good standing and you've picked a cheap brand
A bottle of synthetic motor oil for your quarterly oil change (unless you drive a luxury car)
Telecommunications (phone, Internet, TV) for one week
Eight cans/bottles of cheap beer, or four cans/bottles of high-quality beer
Two months' membership to Costco
Two novels
Three months of smartphone fees (this isn't even counting the phone bill)
A box of Mucinex cold medicine
Two to three small flat rate packages, sent domestically

And for a more parallel comparison, Xbox Live Arcade is $60 per year. So is the PlayStation Network. $16 is also four booster packs or one pre-constructed deck for the Pokémon TCG.

As for me, I have about 20 Switch games that use Nintendo Switch Online in some capacity, so for me, it's approximately one dollar per game per year.

Pokemon Home is also basically the Pokemon transfer thread right? Meaning it's pretty much expected to talk about Pokemon getting transferred from Gen A to Gen B. On another note, in terms of that mindset. Yeah, Landorus doesn't scare a lot of people but if your playing with Pokemon with a consistently-made team filled with Pokemon that don't fit the OU or even UU standards, then Landorus is something to worry about and I prefer to play that way, using Pokemon I like as opposed to Pokemon that are deemed competitive.

I don't think we'll be seeing Landorus quite as much this generation compared to previous ones. There are some frighteningly strong Ice-types that can easily fight him, Galarian Darmanitan from the offensive side and Eiscue from the defensive side (and we can assume Landorus is a physical attacker), as well as Corviknight and its Intimidate-bouncing Mirror Armor. There will probably be a bunch of him at first, but he'll drop off in use as people start putting Pokémon on their teams that can deal with him. Once Sniper Inteleon is available, he could feasibly counter Landorus too.

I am a Johnny type of player too, so it's important for me to figure out what the top threats are and how to reliably take them down. (For that matter, it's hard to use well, but if we see a lot of Landorus and Incineroar come back, it may be a good idea to start using Adrenaline Orbs.)

I'm fine with it. They remind me of the PC in Pokémon Colosseum and Pokémon XD.

I really like that they've got the same poses as the original Sugimori artwork. Bringing back the old player avatars is a nice touch too. Wonder if it'll just be the protagonists, or if we'll be able to choose from NPC's avatars as well

I...didn't even notice that until you pointed it out. That's actually a very nice touch, honestly.

I know that everyone gets a free month of bank with a premium subscription upon release. If my Bank sub expired over a year ago, do y'all think the free month will be like a renewal (with any surviving pokemon still there *fingers crossed*) or will it be like a brand new empty Bank account?

You'll need to be sure they haven't purged your account yet. Eevery now and then, they clear out and delete Pokémon from expired Pokémon Bank accounts, though no one knows what the other conditions are.

Blue Saturday

Unfurl your Blessed Wings!
So...you're drawing the line in the sand over the $16 you need to fork over for HOME? That seems like an odd place to draw a line in the sand. Less than 5% of the cost goes towards HOME.
No. It’s more so because if you want to enjoy the most “complete” versions of the SwSh games you’re paying over $100 at this point. Game Freak and Nintendo aren’t your friendly neighborhood Spider-Man, they’re a cooperation. People should be leery and critical of their product, especially when SwSh didn’t have the content to justify $60 as a mainline console game and Game Freak have consistently gone back on their word time and time again throughout this release cycle. Pokémon is the most massive and lucrative franchise in the world, it’s not wrong to demand a more high quality and complete product. When I bought BW, BW2, Platinum or Emerald as a kid, that was it. I had a complete game and online play there for me and could do what ever I wanted for about $35 dollars and the games had the content to match. Fans should continue to raise a critical eye toward Nintendo and Game Freak’s tactics. There’s been a lot of criticism and negativity over this release cycle because GF and Nintendo have been treating their consumers like trash.

Last edited:

Mr.Munchlax

Great Ball Rank Trainer
A Giant sized sandwich at Jersey Mike's
A large pizza
Three cups of coffee at Starbucks
Approximately one month of ad-free TV streaming...per service
Half a box of Blue Apron meal kits
Your monthly gas bill when it's not that cold out
Half to two-thirds of a tank of fuel for your car (and if you're like me and you live in a commuter city, you're filling up weekly)
Two weeks of car insurance if you're in good standing and you've picked a cheap brand
A bottle of synthetic motor oil for your quarterly oil change (unless you drive a luxury car)
Telecommunications (phone, Internet, TV) for one week
Eight cans/bottles of cheap beer, or four cans/bottles of high-quality beer
Two months' membership to Costco
Two novels
Three months of smartphone fees (this isn't even counting the phone bill)
A box of Mucinex cold medicine
Two to three small flat rate packages, sent domestically
3-4 bottles of pop/iced coffee you buy at the convenient store to keep you up after pulling an all-nighter is another good example X__X

Yeah, I do like how the pokémon look like their Sugimori artwork, but for some reason the way they’re rendered just makes them look like cheap knockoffs to me. It’s honestly the only thing about Pokémon Home I don’t like & I’m hoping that’s not how they’re going to look in Gen 9

Last edited:

WhiteBlair

ベストチャンピオン。
The concern in my opinion isn't paying full price for NSO and HOME to any working adult. The price just isn't justified when you have to spend ~$100 (DLC, online exclusives combined.) for content that could have very-well been in the base game. The price further goes up, if you live in a place where Nintendo doesn't have official services and you have to pay in USD or EUR.

It is completely understandable if one's financial situation does not hold or prefer to be a conciuous-consumer, yet enjoy the extra content like the others. I know I'm paying for it, knowing it's clearly a greedy practice. But, others may not.

WishIhadaManafi5

To Boldly Go Where No One Has Gone Before.
Staff member
The concern in my opinion isn't paying full price for NSO and HOME to any working adult. The price just isn't justified when you have to spend ~$100 (DLC, online exclusives combined.) for content that could have very-well been in the base game. The price further goes up, if you live in a place where Nintendo doesn't have official services and you have to pay in USD or EUR.

It is completely understandable if one's financial situation does not hold or prefer to be a conciuous-consumer, yet enjoy the extra content like the others. I know I'm paying for it, knowing it's clearly a greedy practice. But, others may not.
Exactly. I'm getting the DLC and what not, but it is a greedy practice that companies do for extra content that could have been in the base game. If I bought Shield myself, I'd be waiting around a year to get the DLC, but since I got it as a gift, I am planning on getting it in August. What a difference saving over $60 makes.

ShadowForce720

Exactly. I'm getting the DLC and what not, but it is a greedy practice that companies do for extra content that could have been in the base game. If I bought Shield myself, I'd be waiting around a year to get the DLC, but since I got it as a gift, I am planning on getting it in August. What a difference saving over $60 makes.

You do realize that the alternative was that if we didn't get the DLC this year then we would have either had to pay 60$ to get a 3rd version/sequel, D&P remake, or Let's Go game, or we would wind up in a situation we get nothing new main series this year. Sure your free to complain but at same time if Gamefreak was truly as greedy as people like to make them out to be then we would never have gotten the DLC instead we get two 3rd versions. Ask yourself this would really rather have to pay full price for a 3rd version instead of just getting the content through DLC at half that price that gives two expansions?

Which in the current your actually saving money because your only paying 30$ for the DLC instead of paying $60 for a 3rd version. Also the GTS can be used for free and if you want the home premium features but don't think you would use it lot you can just get the 1 month or 3 month plan. I mean really Gamefreak did not have to make the point of making the GTS free, and giving free updates so that people who don't have the DLC can still get the pokemon being added through other means.

Sceptile Leaf Blade

Nighttime Guardian
You do realize that the alternative was that if we didn't get the DLC this year then we would have either had to pay 60$ to get a 3rd version/sequel, D&P remake, or Let's Go game, or we would wind up in a situation we get nothing new main series this year. Sure your free to complain but at same time if Gamefreak was truly as greedy as people like to make them out to be then we would never have gotten the DLC instead we get two 3rd versions. Ask yourself this would really rather have to pay full price for a 3rd version instead of just getting the content through DLC at half that price that gives two expansions?
I'd have preferred the 3rd version. €60 for all that content or €90 what they're doing now. I know I'd rather pay €60 than €90 considering everything else is so expensive already now they moved to the Switch.

ShadowForce720

I'd have preferred the 3rd version. €60 for all that content or €90 what they're doing now. I know I'd rather pay €60 than €90 considering everything else is so expensive already now they moved to the Switch.

Except it's not a case but I wouldn't be paying $60 for the 3rd verison paying $90 for the expansion, it's if you already had the base game of Sword & Shield then that would mean you would pay $120 dollar to have both the base game and 3rd version. Where as with the DLC there not making people go and buy a separate game for full price, there just having people get DLC for half the price. So basically DLC is actually more cost effective then getting a 3rd version.

So with the DLC your actually saving money.

ShadowForce720

Why would I buy the base game if a third version is coming?

Because at this point it wasn't guaranteed that a 3rd version would come, because remember back during the 6th generation when we didn't get a 3rd version. Also sure you might have not gotten the base game but chances are there would have still been a lot of people getting the base game regardless and at the end of the day if you ask people who bought base game which would situation they would rather have pay $60 for a 3rd version or pay $30 for a dlc that gives you two expansions a lot of people would pick the DLC for obvious reasons.

WishIhadaManafi5

Staff member

Which in the current your actually saving money because your only paying 30$ for the DLC instead of paying $60 for a 3rd version. Also the GTS can be used for free and if you want the home premium features but don't think you would use it lot you can just get the 1 month or 3 month plan. I mean really Gamefreak did not have to make the point of making the GTS free, and giving free updates so that people who don't have the DLC can still get the pokemon being added through other means.
Oh I know. But I'm also aware of overall cost. It adds up. Yea it would have been more as a separate game, but it still adds on the cost. As for the GTS, it may be 'free', but you do have outside costs.

ShadowForce720

Oh I know. But I'm also aware of overall cost. It adds up. Yea it would have been more as a separate game, but it still adds on the cost. As for the GTS, it may be 'free', but you do have outside costs.

You do you realize you can make that argument about almost anything. Chances are though most people aren't a situation where it effects them too much. Plus chances are a lot of people aren't going to be paying for all those things all at once, sure some people will be in all likely hood most people will buy those things at separate times and can spread it out considering that the first part of the expansion doesn't come out until June and the price for the expansion and the full game is just a one time thing.

The only thing that is more then once is if your paying for Preminuim package for pokemon Home but that's only $16 a year or if you want to get the smaller packages then $5 for 3 months or 3$ a month. Basically there way to easily to keep things from piling up so that your not paying for everything all at once and your able to keep things to a manage size.

Last edited:

WishIhadaManafi5

Staff member
You do you realize you can make that argument about almost anything. Chances are though most people aren't a situation where it effects them too much.
Yea, but enough do. To act like it isn't any kind of factor wouldn't be right nor fair.

ShadowForce720

Yea, but enough do. To act like it isn't any kind of factor wouldn't be right nor fair.

You can say that about almost anything to act like it's a majority of people wouldn't be right or fair. I mean was it fair for people that didn't have friends when Pokemon Red & Blue came that if they wanted all the pokemon but had no one to trade with they would have to buy both games on top of getting a 2nd Gameboy and a link cable? Was that fair, I mean sure it wasn't majority of people but one could argue that enough people had to go through that.

If you look throughout the history of the pokemon games there always been case where because of outside factors some people had to pay more, that doesn't mean a majority of people had to pay more it's just that some people did and that's just how things are.