• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Pokemon Horizon

Blackjack Gabbiani

Clearly we're great!
tumblr_oms8qcfqSN1rbmbifo1_540.jpg

I picked this up the other day and can find NO information on it. All I can find is that the main character is named Akira and that's it.

Why is there no info on this?

There's a character who's a cross between Gladion and Paul, there's a girl who I assume works for Kukui, there's some shady organization that clearly isn't Skull or Aether but no idea what it is, and so on. Who are these people? What do they want? Can somebody help me?

lolipiece

Pictured: what browsing Serebii does to a person
Staff member
Because no one is bothering to translate it.

Can't discuss without being able to read it.

And from what little I know, they seem to be named Team Kings (キングス団) or something.

Blackjack Gabbiani

Clearly we're great!
Well that's part of the issue. This is in CoroCoro so it isn't exactly obscure, or at least it shouldn't be. Yet anything and everything that isn't Pokespe gets ignored. I had never even heard of this until I saw it in Kinokuniya the other day, and there's no reason for that to happen. CoroCoro is a major publication, and yet this is so far under the radar that there aren't even chapter summaries.

lolipiece

Pictured: what browsing Serebii does to a person
Staff member
Do most Pokemon fans outside of Japan even care about CoroCoro outside of the Pokemon news? I wouldn't be surprised if a large number of Pokemon fans believe CoroCoro exists solely for Pokemon news.

And people did discuss this back when it was announced. Heck, you posted in that very thread.

But, again, the lack of any info after it came out killed any chance of a discussion.

...Though since Horizon didn't end after one volume, that should be noticeable. I could count the number of non-Pokespe and non-Pocket Monsters manga that lasted more than one volume in the last five years on one hand.

Last edited:

Coronis

In lucid awakening
Well that's part of the issue. This is in CoroCoro so it isn't exactly obscure, or at least it shouldn't be. Yet anything and everything that isn't Pokespe gets ignored. I had never even heard of this until I saw it in Kinokuniya the other day, and there's no reason for that to happen. CoroCoro is a major publication, and yet this is so far under the radar that there aren't even chapter summaries.

You have to understand that the idea of a 'summary' usually comes from those who own the actual manga, understand the language and have time to write one up. While there are Japanese fan-sites that discuss upon various manga including Horizon, most are single line comments and I'm not aware of any that provides regular detailed summaries that allow translation for English fans to read. That said, it is unlikely for any meaningful discussion to happen. I have looked for some forms of wiki for Horizon like those for PKSP but have unfortunately not stumbled across any.

I recall that this is not your first 'rant' post about other manga not getting any attention, but you have to accept the fact that no one is obligated to spend his or her own money regularly on anything just for the sake of the community. It is up to an individual's choice what series they spend their money on, and whether or not they are willing to share it with the community, scans or summaries alike.

Coronis~

e9310103838

Here are someone provide a summary regularly.

(Although this is using Chinese. And he said that does not provide reproduced without consent.)

The Team Kings's goal seems to be robbing Rockruff's Red Stone, and use it that open the Ultra Wormhole to catch Solgaleo to conquer the world. And the Rockruff is emphasized several times as a special presence in the story. ;430;

Last edited by a moderator:

Blackjack Gabbiani

Clearly we're great!
I never said anyone was "obligated", Coronis. It's just baffling how one series gets SO much attention while others get none whatsoever, not even the basics. And about spending money, look how many people translate information from Coro Coro. People are already subscribing to it, already spending the money.

I always got the impression no one stateside really buys the actual Coro Coro magazine so much as just wait for the Japanese fans to post images and info. And from there it's only a matter of translating a few lines of text.

Coronis

In lucid awakening
I never said anyone was "obligated", Coronis. It's just baffling how one series gets SO much attention while others get none whatsoever, not even the basics. And about spending money, look how many people translate information from Coro Coro. People are already subscribing to it, already spending the money.

Not trying to be nit-picky but those who purchase Corocoro are not necessarily manga follows but simply purchase it for the news. And as some have pointed out, I believe most scans we see are from Japanese forums which post nothing beyond the news. With regards to the 'attention' part, it's really up to personal taste and choice. I purchase Corocoro Ichiban on a regular basis, and apart from PKSP, they carry a manga dedicated to the TCG and the 4-panel comedy comic. Unfortunately neither of those are interesting enough for me to spend time on, so you don't see me providing summaries for all 3 series simply because I own the magazine. People share what they enjoy, but we are not paid to 'report' on a magazine.

And thank you e9310103838 for the link to give members here a chance to have a glimpse of what the series is about.

Coronis~

Spider-Phoenix

#ChespinGang
On another subject, I have purchased the first volume. Right now, I'm waiting for it to be shipped (it wasn't yet because I've bought it alongside the Digimon tri character song album which will release by end of this month).

Last edited:

Blackjack Gabbiani

Clearly we're great!
Still, scans and translations only take a few interested people, and there must be more than a handful who take interest in this. Heck, there's a group translating the Color Scrolls from Pokémon Conquest, and that's SUPER obscure.

Generally, until very, VERY recently, barely anyone in the PokeSpe fandom would buy each individual magazine for each individual chapter since that was 20-30 bucks each, and they just waited for the volumes despite having to wait forever for them. And since the main draw of the CoroCoro magazine was already being shared online, most people I know were pretty much waiting for the actual first Horizon volume to come out before reading it. The Color Scrolls didn't have the problem of being super expensive to get right away.

Coronis

In lucid awakening
TheViolentTomboy:
Indeed, this was my own habit as well in the past when volumes did not lag so far behind. The fact that I spend approximately the same amount of money for a chapter and a whole volume few months later still bugs me, but I've come to terms with this.

Blackjack Gabbiani:
True, it takes one single person interested to provide scans/summaries/build-up websites dedicated to essentially anything. Yet, one who is interested may not have the resources to do this, and those with resources may not be interested. You are basically complaining about 'why is there not a single person who is interested in Pokemon Horizons, who buys the series regularly, has access to high quality camera/scanner, has the time and patience to scan/summarize it on a regular basis, and is dedicated to do it every month until the series comes to an end'. The scenario may still work if there are few dedicated ones (one with the book, one with the skills to translate, another with the time to write/build something), but if there isn't, there isn't.

Coronis~

Blackjack Gabbiani

Clearly we're great!
That's not what I'm asking at all. And where do you live, Violent Tomboy, that CoroCoro costs that much? Is that in Australian dollars?

Coronis, I'm not asking any of those things and I don't see how you could get any of that out of anything I said. Basically just "hey, why isn't anyone scanning these?" Not even high quality. I could scan the whole thing with my phone camera and it would be sufficient. Someone looking at them could give summaries. You're deriving a heck of a lot of imaginary stuff out of my words.

Well, right now JB's spending 20 bucks for one issue of CoroCoro Ichiban AKA 25 pages of manga every month. International shipping can get pricey.

Blackjack Gabbiani

Clearly we're great!
Again, what currency? I can get CoroCoro, the big one with like 600 pages, most of it manga, for about 15 USD. I could even do pickups, or just photograph the pages like I said. And I can't possibly be the only person willing to do this.

Uh, USD. (Do Australians use 'bucks' for slang? I honestly have no idea) No idea where he lives, but he's spending 20 USD a month for each Ichiban magazine, and that's with backing.

I mean, no one's stopping you. I was pretty disappointed that all I could find online was two pages a month off of a Japanese twitter.

And, well, a bunch of people don't see it financially viable to buy a 600 page magazine every month for a single series and effectively 100 dollars for what's basically a single volume. Besides, the first volume's finally out. People are interested in it and want it to spread. It's still a new series, so can you blame people wanting to see it when it's available for cheaper before deciding if they want to drop that much cash? That specific Digimon manga the artist did might've been the prototype for the anime but how many people know that stateside?

Last edited:

Blackjack Gabbiani

Clearly we're great!
As I said, people get CoroCoro already. It's a major publication. I'm not saying that anybody needs to go out and get issues specifically for this one comic. But it's funny because people do so for Special at the drop of a hat, and in other franchises there's usually a lot of scans going up the moment stuff hits newsstands.

It just BAFFLES me how little people seem to care about other manga in this franchise. How asking for even the bare minimum coverage is seen as demanding and rude. It doesn't make any sense! Yet people will get this very same magazine for a single page of ads and previews when it comes to the main games or the anime.

Why would CoroCoro Ichiban cost so much more than the main book? Isn't it also a lot smaller?

Coronis

In lucid awakening
The standard Corocoro costs 550 yen, while Ichiban 920 yen. The other two branches of Corocoro costs 620 yen (Aniki) and 460 yen (Side Special). I'm not sure the reasoning behind the markedly higher cost of Ichiban, but the difference in item inclusions may be a cause. Ichiban has occasionally given out hefty size items like special-edition Pokemon PVC figures that sell at 400-500 yen in stores.

And Blackjack, if you consider my statement an exaggeration of your intention, it is simply because you seem unsatisfied with the simple answers many above have given. You are quite insistent that someone somewhere must be putting up this series (or any other) in PKSP-esque style, and you are correct in terms of probability, given the large Pokemon fanbase. Unfortunately, this doesn't seem the case, and people here including myself are just trying to explain this phenomenon through logical reasoning such as costs and personal preference. At the end of the day, it's up to you whether you accept these reasonings.

Coronis~

Last edited:

Blackjack Gabbiani

Clearly we're great!
The answers don't make sense and assume that nobody subscribes to or buys CoroCoro on a regular basis, which is patently untrue.