1. We have moved to a new forum system. All your posts and data should have transferred over. Welcome, to the new Serebii Forums. Details here
    Dismiss Notice
  2. We're currently having an issue where e-mails sent to gmail accounts are not going through and are bouncing back. We're currently working to resolve this matter and apologise for any inconvenience
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
    Dismiss Notice
  4. If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders
    Dismiss Notice

Pokemon Horizon

Discussion in 'Pokémon Manga Discussion' started by Izanagi, Jul 4, 2017.

1. Izanagi

Izanagi 'Sup!

I know this is ultimately futile since the only manga most people care is Pokespe but any word on Pokemon Horizon. I know it's ending was announced not too long ago on ANN and I read the first chapter of it RAW on the official website but other than that nothing. There are no dedicated scanlations for it and talks about it on the web are pretty scarce. Maybe I am not looking in the right places?

Anyways, similarly no one talked about Pokemon BW: Good Partners either. All I find were some low quality photos of it and a few forum discussions. So I bite the bullet and ordered it online from CD Japan. Since it never received a proper translation I don't know exactly what's going in it but the artwork is nice.

I am thinking about doing the same with Horizon. I am just asking if anyone here is curious about it as I am. Likely most probably never heard of it and that's fine.

2. Spider-Phoenix

Spider-Phoenix Go, Go Power Rangers

I've purchased the first volume but didn't know its ending was announced already. Such a pity.... Makes sense considering by the end of the first volume:

Akira's Rockruff evolves into Midnight Lycanroc

Anyway, a thing i've noticed in the tankohon version is that it had removed the XY Ash cameo. Weird.

3. Izanagi

Izanagi 'Sup!

Oh how was it? I know you probably don't know Japanases but still. The mangaka for Horizon also did the V-Tamers of which I've read and thoroughly enjoyed. So that's another reason why I am interested in picking it up
    for myself.

Yeah, it ending which is shame but most Pokemon manga that aren't Pokemon Pockets Monsters or Pokespe don't last long at all. They usually only exist as promotion and since most of them hardly make outside of Japan I only know about most of them because of Dogasu Backpack. Pokemon Reburst had several volumes which is rare for a Pokemon manga Though the only thing I found from Reburst are some scanlations and they didn't even finish. I thought about collecting the issues for myself since it probably never reache stateside but after watching JWittz's video I decided it won't be worth the effort.

I like the Pokemon manga usually because they give you a different takes on the Pokemon world that isn't exclusively what's shown in the games or the anime. It's disappointing that people hardly know of the manga or think that Pokespe is the only Pokemon manga to exist.

4. e9310103838

e9310103838 Well-Known Member

After the first and second generations, Pokemon manga are only on the publicity function.

DPA is more complete manga few in the back generations. The rest are PMSP and Pocket Monsters Clefairy tale.

Good Partners is nice but it's just the essay manga. And Good Partners (and Reburst) was discussed here originally, but their discussion did not more than PMSP.

And in recent mangas, I also like Pokemon Card Game manga (XY, Break & SM) so much (Unfortunately they do not publish the volumes, but this can be found on the official website, and magazine). Although I do not understand Pokemon card game, its characters are very interesting (A lively and also play card game Lillie (pseudonym Lisae) is here XD)

And Pokemon Horizon looks like will really end, means that it will have two volumes. :607:

Last edited: Jul 4, 2017
  5. Izanagi

Izanagi 'Sup!

Yeah most Pokemon manga only really exists as promotion and since bulk of them don't get translated they often get overlooked.
    I don't see this thread going anywhere considering that most people haven't heard of Pokemon Horizon or even know that it exists and I doubt Viz will pick it up.
    I will probably import eventually like I did with Good Partners but I doubt I will derive much discussion from it xD

6. Maxim

Maxim Retired Pokefan

By the way, what game characters appear in Good Partners, aside from the ones I know about (Juniper, Fennel, Cress, Skyla, Hawes, Hilbert & Hilda shadowed cameo and a bunch of Trainer Classes in the first chapter)?

Back to the topic, I can't forgive Horizon that it (somewhat) stuck to the games only for the first two chapters or so. And then it became a random-*** story that seems more like a parody of the games (the characters remind me of those "spoof" characters that appear in that TCG webcomic). It could have been the DPA of Gen VII but it just isn't.

I doubt that we're ever gonna get a good non-PokeSpe Pokemon manga based on the games. Those manga-ka's aren't even trying anymore.

Last edited: Jul 11, 2017
  7. Izanagi

Izanagi 'Sup!

Looking at my volume again, the only real notable characters that appear from the games are Juniper, Fennel, Cress, Alder, Skyla, and Hawes. The manga is notable for being a mere adaptation of the game's plot
    which I wish more Pokemon manga did. It's shame that I can't read Japanese and tell how well it handled its plot.

It shame that Horizon is only going to have a mere two volumes. It isn't the manga-ka's fault though. As I said before, most Pokemon manga exist as promotion and SUMO has been out for almost a year at this point. PokeSpe continue to exists because it serves to promote current generation as does the anime.

8. MewDragon

MewDragon Member

This is the first I've ever heard of it! I do feel though like for the first few years after Pokemon Special and even when Milaysia was publishing Pokemon Adventures that there were no scanalation crews really working on it. Now, things are pretty good. But I hope Horizon gets picked up by someone; not enough pokemon manga out there.

9. lolipiece

lolipiece Moderator Staff Member Moderator

10. e9310103838

e9310103838 Well-Known Member

Oh, Unfortunately Pokemon Horizon did not continue to develop, otherwise Dusk Form Lycanroc would be a good source of inspiration. ;476;

11. lolipiece

You'd think they would use Horizon as a way to promote Dusk Form.

But no, it ended. In a really rushed fashion.

It was the perfect opportunity but they refused to take it.

Spider-Phoenix likes this.
  12. Spider-Phoenix

Spider-Phoenix Go, Go Power Rangers

I've recieved the second volume a few days ago

The interesting thing is that Akira's Rockruff basically goes digimon: he can evolve but then revert to the previous form. Even more interesting, it did alternate between both forms (Midnight and Midday). They kinda made the Midnight be the agressive one, with obedience problems. Midday had a fair spotlight and I'd say it was subtly showed as the correct, most powerful evolution (in the context of the series)

The girl has a Decidueye.

Imported the japanese edition thinking it'd never be translated lol

Anyway, good news.

13. Maxim

Maxim Retired Pokefan

Good that this manga is getting translated. It'll make it less obscure.

I'm not sure about its quality, as I've never read it, but at least it lasted more than one volume. It is "something", I guess.

By the way, how about game characters in this manga? I guess it doesn't feature too many of them (I only know about Kukui and Hala).

14. lolipiece

Olivia and the Akala Captains cameo in volume 2.

[img139]https://78.media.tumblr.com/3375c68cd9165eb9cc2e9791cb5f1c69/tumblr_oxjwgaKJo61r1alb2o1_500.jpg[/img139]

And that's it.

15. i2i

i2i Big Bad Wolf

Is it possible that their might be sequel manga in the works?

16. lolipiece

No. These manga never really get those.

17. p96822

p96822 Evolve me please

It now available in english now