1. We have moved to a new forum system. All your posts and data should have transferred over. Welcome, to the new Serebii Forums. Details here
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
    Dismiss Notice
  3. If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders
    Dismiss Notice

Pokemon in the wild

Discussion in 'General Pokémon Discussion' started by Skaisdead, Jul 6, 2009.

1. Skaisdead

Skaisdead Movers and Shakers

I don't know how many people have noticed this, but I found it to be rather interesting. Certain Pokemon, like Jynx and Lapras, exist in the wild, but not in the Generation in which they were introduced.

For example, Jynx is available for trading in Red and Blue, but it only appears in the wild in Johto. Wouldn't that make it a Johto native Pokemon?

This also happens with Tyrouge, Lapras, Beldum, and others I'm sure.

2. Validus

Validus Well-Known Member

I've not noticed that but it still makes sence.

Jynx was only avalible by in-game trade, at first this bothered me because i was all like, Where did it com from in the first place!! then in johto it makes sence, so the guy in Ceaulean (sp?) City must have lived in johto in his younger days.

Overall it just adds depth

3. Chowza

Chowza Cannibals are <3

Woah! Nice find! O:

Maybe..I mean, it would make sense!

4. Erienne

Erienne Anime high :D

That's true. Just like you can't find Togepi in Platinum yet Cynthia has it; how Steven Stone has a Beldum yet you can't get it anywhere else in Hoenn.

There are a list of Pokemon like this, but just a few here.

5. Lucario Hero

Lucario Hero Defying Gravity

In previous generations, Game Freak seems to have made the rarer Pokemon obtainable in side missions or in trades. As more generations were added, they are transited into the wild to make way for the new rarer Pokemon of that generation. A filter, I guess.
    You could classify those found first in the Wild as being of that generation, but most (including the Pokedex, obviously) stick to time of discovery/release rather than native region.

6. powerprotector

powerprotector [Empty Space]

Being introduced in a region is different from being native in a region.
    ;196;

7. Skaisdead

Skaisdead Movers and Shakers

Well obviously, that's the point of this thread.

8. Alloute

Alloute Banned

I suppose that they are found in the wild, but nobody has ever placed their location data in the PokeDex so nobody is sure where they are.

The man in RBY probably found his Jynx in Kanto, but we do not know where.

9. octoboy

octoboy I Crush Everything

My guess is that many pokemon make their homes in the places sealed off for ingame trainers. You know how there are huge rocks and trees which are impossible to get by?

So, if a pokemon is marked as not-found-in-the-wild it might actually mean nowhere-in-the-wild-on-your-side-of-the-boundaries-this-game-has-put-up.

10. Haha I was just thinking about this the other day since I restarted my Pokemon Yellow.

In terms of "story" Id most agree with the idea that theyre found in regions you cant access.

11. Alloute

Alloute Banned

Yes, that is what I was thinking.

It makes some sense, not all Pokemon can be caught in Tall Grass or in the ocean.

12. Erienne

I'm sure some of the non-permissible areas, like the forest background and mountains have Pokemon in them too; if you want to imagine that of course, that's where these impossible-to-catch rarities lie.

13. Zhanton

Zhanton le quant-à-soi

I suppose the region they were introduced in, ex. Gen I, is just the time they were discovered to be existant.

They may be hiding, as octoboy said, in impossible to get areas. In the case of Jynx, there really isn't much snow so Kanto is not the best habitat for it.

14. BynineB

BynineB Wielding Übersaw.

If you can only find them there, then they're native there, amiright?

15. Zhanton

Zhanton le quant-à-soi

Yes.

So you could say the Pokemon are native to regions other than the ones they were introduced in, if that is what the thread is trying to uncover.

16. Erienne

The point is, it was just a folly on Nintendo's part, considering that they needed a way so people could get that Pokemon in future generations without having to have both games and send them over...

17. superkal388

superkal388 Kanto SuperTrainer

well corphish was explicity stated to not be native to hoenn yet it was first introduced in the hoenn dex, and its obviously not native in sinnoh since u cant even find it w/o the national dex, thats something that bugs me, how does having a special upgrade on ur pokedex just magically make certain pokemon appear? i think it wud be cool if they had national dex exclusives that are still findable during the course of the game but wud be extremely rare until after u get the national dex but still obtainable at least and theyre number and info just wudnt be given, that doesnt really make sense either since it may as well be part of the regional dex but it makes more sense than them not being available at all until that point...

18. BynineB

BynineB Wielding Übersaw.

Because you don't get a Pokeradar or Super Rod until after the E4.

19. MetalFlygon08

MetalFlygon08 Haters Gonna Hate

Steven caught his Beldum in SHinnoh, as he had a villa right below where beldums are catchable, that's how he has one. THus Steven was, like Cynthia, a Champion from a different region. and carried un-native pokemon with him.

20. Zhanton

Zhanton le quant-à-soi

That wouldn't make them "national dex exclusive".

Just because a pokemon was introduced in a certain generation/region does not mean they are native there. Wandering trainers from other regions (Steven) may visit the region which "discovers" the newly found pokemon, only to realise they seem to be almost non-existant in the area.