• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Pokemon in the Wild

Status
Not open for further replies.

WarioMan

Playboy Billionaire
As well all know, even the stupidest of Pokemon are pretty intelligent, at least as far as our real-world animals go. They're able to understand multiple languages, think, and even learn advanced fighting techniques; you'd be hard-pressed to find a bipedal Pokemon with legs that can't learn Low Sweep; now try performing a Low Sweep yourself.

Pretty tough, eh?

However, we also know that a lot of Pokemon are smarter than others. Some, like Gardevoir, Gallade, Alakazam, Jynx, and others, are also very close to being on a level of intelligence at or above humans. We know plenty about how Pokemon like Gardevoir act in captivity; they love their human companions with all they have and treat them as their own.

However, how do highly intelligent Pokemon exist in the wild? Do they simply roam around as animals, or do communities exist? Are there societies of Gardevoir, Gallade, and the younger versions, living in the wild as we do in civilization? Do Alakazam meet to discuss their massive intelligence? Do Hitmonchan and Hitmonlee hold martial arts tournaments among themselves?

I think Pokemon's wild behavior is among the most interesting things in the Pokemon world, especially once that aren't simply anime-tized versions of regular animals (fun and interesting as though may be). How do Pokemon that are so much like us live their lives without Trainers? What other questions do you have about Pokemon living in the wild?

This is a forum for all things relating to Pokemon behavior. If you've got theories, questions, or other ideas, post them!

The Scientist

I thought I read somewhere that Alakazam was supposedly much smarter than humans. That made me wonder... why don't Alakazam rule the Pokemon world instead of humans? If intelligence is what humans have going for them, and Alakazams are smarter, then shouldn't they rule over the world?

Monek_OP

bernie2016
Alakazam is supposed to have an IQ of 5k. Tell that to Einstein. Did Alakazam invent one of the major pillars of modern physics - NO -- wait, this is the Pokémon world ... woah.

For your first point, they probably do - if you think about this scientifically, then its completely possible for Alakazam to need to develop language or culture. If apes had fantastic psychic abilities that could manipulate prey, humans, (or at least their more developed social brains) might have come to be a lot faster: when a species no longer has to worry about surviving (& reproducing) on a day-to-day basis, then of course mates get more selective and that begins the integration of culture - however, their culture would probably be different from our (early civilization(s)), as many civilizations still died of starvation after the invention of domestication and agriculture, that of course, led to innovations that are now considered fundamental. Their lack of a need for weapons would also propel them into a different war-like state also, changing customs and such. Its even possible that because of their extreme intelligence, (and possible sociabilities/personalities) they may disregard any formal religion, regardless of whether its true or not, especially with the fcat that its possible Arceus is [G/g]od. With all these differences, they may excel or crash and burn.

Note though, that although we're treating Alakazm (and other psychic Pokémon) like an actual species, an IQ of 5k is impossible (without, of course, going crazy -- which may explain why Alakazam act like all other Pokémon) and Alakazam, canonically, run around in tall grass and jump out at 10 year olds.

ULiopleurodon

Ash Ketchum
Don't forget Pikachu's, in the first season of the anime we saw them living in a community in the forest, and we know as demonstrated when the young Pikachu fell into the river are quite protective of their young. Also, as demonstrated by Ash and Ritchie, they can grow very sentimental bonds with their trainers. Ash's Pikachu has also, on several occasions, used pantomime to communicate with him.

Ivoright

I am back! Probably.
Note though, that although we're treating Alakazm (and other psychic Pokémon) like an actual species, an IQ of 5k is impossible (without, of course, going crazy -- which may explain why Alakazam act like all other Pokémon) and Alakazam, canonically, run around in tall grass and jump out at 10 year olds.

Numbers in the pokédex are often, if not always, exaggerated, so it's best to take them with a grain of salt.

And about the tall grass thing- Perhaps it's just looking for a laugh. Who knows? But keep in mind that tall grass is a game mechanic, and in-universe wouldn't make as much sense.

Mew The Gato

And about the tall grass thing- Perhaps it's just looking for a laugh. Who knows? But keep in mind that tall grass is a game mechanic, and in-universe wouldn't make as much sense.

Exactly. The Pokedex cannot be referred to for facts, as pretty much all of the "scales" in them are improbable.

Perhaps it is because it is its own entertainment system? Battling?

Serebii!

I imagine them acting as a family. Gardevoir and Gallade raising Ralts and Kirlia in small communities, they are smart enough not to be found by trainers. At times wild Pokemon would play/fight with each other and work together in groups

I think the new horde battles show it off better, the Pokemon are fighting in a group

Umm, I don't think there were ever wild Alakazams. That, and we don't have the faintest clue what an IQ of 5k even is, if there is such a thing, so we can't assess how an organism would react to such a condition...

Mew The Gato

Umm, I don't think there were ever wild Alakazams. That, and we don't have the faintest clue what an IQ of 5k even is, if there is such a thing, so we can't assess how an organism would react to such a condition...

That is, if Alakazam are far more intelligent than wild Kadabra.

That is, if Alakazam are far more intelligent than wild Kadabra.
We don't even know what motivates them to come out of the grass, either. It could be to study the beings with lower intelligence close-up. They could be scientists, you know? Scary.

Monek_OP

bernie2016
Don't forget Pikachu's, in the first season of the anime we saw them living in a community in the forest, and we know as demonstrated when the young Pikachu fell into the river are quite protective of their young. Also, as demonstrated by Ash and Ritchie, they can grow very sentimental bonds with their trainers. Ash's Pikachu has also, on several occasions, used pantomime to communicate with him.

Eh. I'm not sure the anime is that reliable either ...

You know, just an IQ of 5,000. And if you count the Pokewalker there were wild Alakazams.

Griever789

Well the word of gamefreak is that pokemon generally come out to humans only if they want to be captured, while most alakszams/kadabras would be satified debating their things, their ocassionally one that really wants to get out their and fight, more common among the kadabras then alakzam though.

Artnerd

Insane Artist
It also seems that kadabra's seem to need a human bond to evolve, actually, they need to lose that bond (by trading) to evolve.. which kind of doesn't make any sense..

WarioMan

Playboy Billionaire
It also seems that kadabra's seem to need a human bond to evolve, actually, they need to lose that bond (by trading) to evolve.. which kind of doesn't make any sense..

I think it's safe to say that the way we know to evolve certain Pokemon are not the only way it occurs. You can encounter wild evolved Pokemon that would normally need to be at a much higher level/be traded/be traded holding an item. I think we can assume that wild Pokemon are able to evolve in different ways than the ones that we train.

I think that Alakazam are found in the wild, but are beyond smart enough to stay away from human Trainers (although apparently wild Pokemon only approach you if they want to get caught or something, but I'm pretty sure Mewtwo wasn't hanging out in those caves waiting to get caught).

Griever789

I think it's safe to say that the way we know to evolve certain Pokemon are not the only way it occurs. You can encounter wild evolved Pokemon that would normally need to be at a much higher level/be traded/be traded holding an item. I think we can assume that wild Pokemon are able to evolve in different ways than the ones that we train.

I think that Alakazam are found in the wild, but are beyond smart enough to stay away from human Trainers (although apparently wild Pokemon only approach you if they want to get caught or something, but I'm pretty sure Mewtwo wasn't hanging out in those caves waiting to get caught).

Well mewtwo in the orgins anime is not shy on attacking humans considering how severly injured blue was his encounter with the thing.

Maybe an interesting question for this thread: What Pokemon are, according to your interpretation, smarter than humans, aside from the ones mentioned in the opening post? Focus on intelligence they have in the wild, not on skills they learned from humans.

I'd say Lapras. In the Christmas episode in the anime, it uses telepathy, it's a great transporter and knows the road to whatever place. Ash's Lapras in the anime probably knew what way to go by himself, that's at least my interpretation. The fact that Lapras can learn Psychic also adds to that, it just makes it feel smarter.

Also, Milotic and Ninetales deserve a mention. Both have psychic abilities normally not fit for their types, and have a mystique feel. The Ninetales episode in the anime, in Johto, also helped me to conclude this.

Last edited:

Ace Kenshader

Dreaming sexy
But what happens to the wild pokemon if you managed to make them faint?~ Do you carry them off to the Pokemon Center to heal them? Or do you simply leave them be?~ You'd be surprised how many people actually ask that question lol

Primal Crusader V

Watch some MANime
But what happens to the wild pokemon if you managed to make them faint?~ Do you carry them off to the Pokemon Center to heal them? Or do you simply leave them be?~ You'd be surprised how many people actually ask that question lol

Logically, "fainting" would be running out of energy. Therefore you could assume that a fainted wild pokemon would rest in it's own habitat after the battle, or perhaps on a more deeper level, more of their own species would heal them considering that pokemon of the same species often reside in the same area.

ven?

Kanto Region Champ
I find the smarter you get, the more you understand things, it's better to not get involved unless it's worth something, plus we are very primitive so on that note. They're pokemon that can live in the wild, we're people who have grown accustomed to houses, maybe there are other things left unexplained.

Wishmaker Latias

All Bridges Burned, All Lessons Learned
The fact that some are smart as humans or even more explains why pokemon like Dragonite or Alakazam (Who are depicted as smart by the pokedex) are either unavailable in the wild or really rare.
They are smart enough to hide ,and even if you enter their territory they will not attack until you threaten it(Unlike some who attack at sight).
Also Latios is also considered intelligent and he (Along with Latias) tries to avoid battles by running ,also the dex states that they are more than one of their species as they make small herds.
Latias's Emerald Pokedex entry said:
They make a small herd of only several members. They rarely make contact with people or other Pokémon. They disappear if they sense enemies.
So they have a small community and are smart enough to avoid fighting or they choose to fight at times(Usually when you have a Soul dew , either He/She has it ,or it is lying around nearby).
So since it has a soul of a Latias/Latios maybe they are trying to protect the remains of its friends/family?

Status
Not open for further replies.