• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Pokemon in your PC?

PokeTimmy

Collector
Where do your pokemon go when they are in your PC?

I remember, in an early Pokemon episode, that when Ash caught a 7th pokemon, Krabby, the pokeball disappeared and was immediately transported to Professor Oak.

Is that what occurs to pokemon in-game when they are placed into a PC? Are my 500+ pokemon running around Professor's Juniper's tiny home in Nuvema Town, causing a ruckus?

Or is one's ability to store pokemon within computers simply a recognition that pokemon, even in-game, are nothing more than computer programs? If that is the case, then how do pokemon exist "in the wild"?

Or do PCs in the pokemon world have the ability to break down living creatures and actually transform them into bytes that can be stored inside computers? This latter option would make sense, since this is likely how pokeballs operate.

Or am I over-analyzing a video game again?

And is it bizarre that I'm actually hoping that the PC system is a transportation system, rather than a storage system, because I want my pokemon to be outside of their pokeballs, socializing and playing with one another in Professor Juniper's backyard - rather than simply in stasis within some computer server?

Gelatino95

Not a tool
I always like to imagine that my pokemon in the PC go to a digitally created land where they can interact with the other pokemon in their box. This is likely due to my tendency to organize pokemon in my PC by habitat. All the forest pokemon can interact, and so can all the field pokemon, river pokemon, mountain pokemon, etc. The pokemon that have been there the longest get the most respect as the elders of their respective area.

Calamity™

aka Lamia
I think it's quite interesting to explore what exactly happens to Pokémon when in Pokéballs and stored in PCs. The only thing I can think of is they get transferred to some huge area where Pokémon can live. Same as in the Animé. But then who would pay for all it's living costs? It would be good if they actually explored this in the game, then we wouldn't need to question it!

Daylight

In the Curve
I always thought that they were broken into little bytes of information and stored on the computer. However, that would mean that the pokeball would also have to be broken down since you don't recieve pokeballs back when storing pokemon.

Skydra

I'd expect it to be a similar place to the inside of a Poke Ball. But really, the PC is just an excuse to own hundreds of monsters and doesn't need reasoning.

Or am I over-analyzing a video game again?
Overanalyzing a video game is the in-game life of most every serious Pokemon player, just in different ways.

Last edited:

Jinvaani

I wish Masuda would just come out and clear up all these mysteries, like Eiji Aonuma did with the Zelda timeline.

Kacho

You are next.
Or is one's ability to store pokemon within computers simply a recognition that pokemon, even in-game, are nothing more than computer programs? If that is the case, then how do pokemon exist "in the wild"?

this is not digimon, you can't take pokemon out, and store it back in the computer like digimon does.

however, i think whoever's PC the pokebox belongs to, they'll pop out of there.
remember that they are inside a pokeball too, so they are transmitted to someone's PC.... causing a ruckus

metagrody6

COMO UN JEFE
I think they are crammed into airtight balls and then sent to a storage box where they wait, sometimes for forever, to be let out to breathe the fresh air once again.

J-star

Dynamic Entry!
I always thought that they were in some sort of stasis inside the PC, which I hope is not the case.

M4zz

Banned
If you're in my PC, you rot, unless I need you to breed with my Ditto.

Personally, I see the boxes as no more than the shelves upon shelves of Pokeballs as seen in both the manga and anime when inside one of the professor's labs or at a Pokemon Center.

Burakoru

Belly Slide
I for one like to picture it where they are all teleported to specific areas with others of it's type, kinda like pokemon mystery dungeon Blue Version, where you would go to random areas and get your pokemon there.

Necro101

I have no clue what goes on in tha PC and how Pokemon are kept there if it is just a picture another thing... Back then I thought if I woukd put the backround that was the environment I caught the pokemon it would bd happier. Basically I would put the sea backround for the Pokemon I caught fishing or surfing.:)

RAWK ON

Ciliano

Back to Oak/Elm/Birch/Rowan/Juniper is what I always thought.

Twidragon

To the Power of 27
Yeah, I imagined that they are sent to the Lab. It may not be as big sprite wise, but not every single town/city is to scale :x

Excitable Boy

is a metaphor
I imagine that the Poke Ball would absorb the Pokemon and store the information about its individual atoms 2-dimensionally, much the same way that black holes do. When you store a Pokemon on a PC, you're uploading the Poke Ball's data - and the data within the Poke Ball - to an international network.

You know what we need in Pokemon games? A laptop. Better yet, a smartphone. PCs suck.

Treecko's Awesomeness

Treecko is claimed!
I think that when you put Pokemon in the PC they go to Aperture Laboratories to test with GLaDOS.

I like to think it's kind of a simulated world, where the Pokemon can walk around and interact with eachother.