• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Pokemon is popular at my school now!

donuts

Grass Master
I'm in 8th grade now lol. I've been playing Pokemon, but I didn't want to tell any of my friends because it wouldn't be "cool" and they'd banish me to the "uncool" lunch table or something. But, hey, all of a sudden, all my friends and the "cool" kids are playing Firered and stuff on their GBA SPs. I walk into the bathroom and see one of the most popular kids in my grade holding two GBAs and trading pokemon between them. And today, me and my friends had a big debate on who was cooler: Blastoise or Charizard. Is there something that I was not aware of? Is Pokemon cool in your school, or is my school just weird?

Larry

I'm a senior in High School and when Pokemon Black and White came out it was HUGE.

.: Uranus :.

I love steel types!
I hate a total of: 5 friends who like Pokémon!

So I think you are just lucky. D:

BellyDrum

It was cool to say you liked Pokemon, but to actually show it was a thing among some "nerdy" cliques (which I was part of lol). If you like Pokemon, you like Pokemon! There's no shame in it :p

MonkeyX

As far as I know pokemon is restricted to the nerds at my school so no it isn't popular at all, my school revolves around COD, it's really obnoxious.

rocky505

My school doesn't give a crap what you like as long as it isn't Magic.

I'm in 8th grade now lol. I've been playing Pokemon, but I didn't want to tell any of my friends because it wouldn't be "cool" and they'd banish me to the "uncool" lunch table or something. But, hey, all of a sudden, all my friends and the "cool" kids are playing Firered and stuff on their GBA SPs. I walk into the bathroom and see one of the most popular kids in my grade holding two GBAs and trading pokemon between them. And today, me and my friends had a big debate on who was cooler: Blastoise or Charizard. Is there something that I was not aware of? Is Pokemon cool in your school, or is my school just weird?

Look, I understand I have 6 years of existence on you, but this is so ignorant. You know what's cool and respectable? Liking what you like and sticking to your guns no matter what people say. I was in my first year of college last year and I was playing my HG and one of my roommates, a real jock, asked me if I was playing Pokemon. I said yes and then eventually he got back into it, and pretty soon my whole suite was playing. It's infectious. When you show that it isn't something to be made fun and actually cool of specifically because you like it (without overreacting though), people respect it. Also, my school had plenty of people who played Pokemon. Both "cool" and "uncool."

It was cool to say you liked Pokemon, but to actually show it was a thing among some "nerdy" cliques (which I was part of lol). If you like Pokemon, you like Pokemon! There's no shame in it :p

There's also no shame in being a nerd...realize how many Star Wars references are in shows like Family Guy and Robot Chicken, a lot of which pay homage to it. Star Wars is quintissential to nerd culture, and those shows -which "cool" kids like- respect it. That's just a singular example. There are a lot more at that. If pop culture reveres such a nerdy icon, how can it be shameful to be intelligent or into the fantastic?

Sorry for the rant, I just really don't understand how so many people can just change with the wind. If you like it because YOU like it then it's cool. Don't change for anyone else just because the guys who are on the football team don't like it. At least the chances of you ending up as a broken down has-been are lower than theirs. I can't tell you how many previously "hotshot" football players end up bald and with giant beer guts from excessive partying. So just be you. It's all good. If you like something, you like it. That's that.

/rantover

Porgon-XYZ

Wut are you saying?
At my school, liking pokemon is just average. There are a few I know who like it, but it's not much of an open thing.:/ The only thing I remember that wasn't between me and my friends was this kid who asked if I had Black or White at random.

Sceptrigon

Armored Legend
lol it seems like lots of the kids in your school like the original pokemon more :p

And actually, I think there are lots of people in my high school that like pokemon as well, but I just don't hear people talking about it a lot.

cannibaleyes

Holier Than Thou
My roommate plays it, but she's just as big of a nerd as I am, so.. XD
I don't really care if it's cool or not. I've never been one of the "cool kids" and it's not like I get beat up in college for liking Pokemon or anything...

Pokemon was cool at my school back when I was younger, though. I remember trading pokemon cards with a bunch of guys on the playground after school everyday. I think I was the only girl who was into it back then, though. XD

Moneyy

INACTIVE
Pokemon is definitely not popular at my school, a lot of people don't even remember it exists.

Cosmic Fury

Evil Overlord
A lot of my friends simply love playing pokemon...But I have yet to show them all my massive collection of really rare ones...The only one I showed it all to got jealous. lol

Mr. Reloaded

Cause a pirate is free
Eh in my school there's only about 5-8 of us who actually like the games the anime I'm not too sure about but the games in my school are pretty popular esspecially when us nerds have hug battles and everyone comes to watch them lol. But its funny how your whole school is interested in the franchise you must feel lucky.