• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Pokemon LGPE first impressions

Ariki

Kia ora,

I got the game an hour ago and it’s late as heck here in NZ and I need some zzz’s but...

This game is beautiful, the music is great and the levelling up is nice and speedy too! I love it! It does take a bit of getting used to the idea of catching wild Pokemon instead of battling them for exp but I’m getting the hang of it.

I really love that the tedious grindy nature of training has been decreased significantly and I’m having lots of fun just catching lots of Pokemon.

IMO as someone who has been with the franchise right from the start this is definitely a great game and is very much a core main series Pokemon entry at heart.

Hand on heart, I think this game could help deter hacking if the experience yields and method of increasing Pokemon stat points is brought forward into gen 9 and beyond. Something to think about, considering the level of hacking that happens in the community, I think there are some great ideas in this game that should be brought forward...

MidnightMelody

Hopeful for Gen 8
Nice to see good things said about it. Personally the concept of grinding annoys me. Funny to see people mad about how Pokemon can all gain exp when exp all has been around for five years prior.

Ignition

We are so back Zygardebros
I've been playing with my nephew for about 2 hours and I must say it's a decent game. The intro has him grinning, the colors makes him feel like he's personally in the game, and he's been catching everything in his path.

Spider-Phoenix

#ChespinGang
Not as bad as I thought. Two things I like: being able to rename the pokémon in the party menu and the PC box being acessible in the menu. Hope it carries over for Gen 8.

As for the moves, Zippy Zap is quit useful with it having Priority + sure critical hits.

MidnightMelody

Hopeful for Gen 8
Can we just talk about how it is not as hand holding as SUMO? The tutorial cuts out really early while in SUMO it was literally till after Mele Mele it ended. That and battles are actually not so one shot. My first time against Brock he destroyed me while I destroyed everyone on Mele Mele in one hit.

Pokemon Power

Played it up to the first Gym battle with Brock. I have to say, Go-style catching and classic-style battling are a good mix. Though, as a longtime Pokemon fan, I think beginners will have a great and better time with this.

PrinceOfFacade

Ghost-Type Master
Much to my surprise, I'm catching pokemon far more than I expected.

My only gripe so far is that Ice and Water types are so hard to find early in the game. Also, this game has proven to be more of a challenge than I thought. While I haven't lost a battle, the NPCs definitely put up a good fight.

MasterofArcanine

Pokecollection Maste
I don't know where to put this question: But can anyone tell me where you find the 4 picture code to give to your friend so you can battle or trade online?

Sαpphire

Johto Champion
I almost broke my record of getting every single main series game since 2002 on the first day - not because I don't love the idea of these games, but because I needed to buy a whole new Switch and that's a lot of money. But I picked up my preorder, and I really have to say - visually, these are amazing. It's so nice to finally see the series in HD. I couldn't be happier - can't wait to see where it goes from here!

Creyk

I almost broke my record of getting every single main series game since 2002 on the first day - not because I don't love the idea of these games, but because I needed to buy a whole new Switch and that's a lot of money. But I picked up my preorder, and I really have to say - visually, these are amazing. It's so nice to finally see the series in HD. I couldn't be happier - can't wait to see where it goes from here!

What is your team.

Nockturne

I haven't played it myself yet, but I've seen a few videos and I'm pretty sure I'll get it eventually. Probably in the run up to Gen 8 when I really need something Pokemon-y to tide me over. Although if the list on Serebii is the full list, I am a little disappointed with some of the Pokemon you can't ride. Like I'm surprised you can ride Persian but not Ninetales, and I would have liked to have been able to surf on Blastoise and Vaporeon. Being able to ride Haunter and Starmie was a shock as well, but in a good way. Definitely gonna be floating here there and everywhere on the back of my celestial starfish.

Sαpphire

Johto Champion
What is your team.

I did Let’s Go Eevee, so I’m using Eevee, then I’ve got the Mew from the Pokeball Plus - I’m not sure whether I’m going to use it in game yet though. Beyond that I haven’t gotten far enough to catch anything I actually want to use, just random encounters so far.

I might transfer some Alolan forms if I figure out how all that stuff works, if you can before the League? Not sure.

Ignition

I did Let’s Go Eevee, so I’m using Eevee, then I’ve got the Mew from the Pokeball Plus - I’m not sure whether I’m going to use it in game yet though. Beyond that I haven’t gotten far enough to catch anything I actually want to use, just random encounters so far.

I might transfer some Alolan forms if I figure out how all that stuff works, if you can before the League? Not sure.
All Go transfers can happen at Fuschia City (taking place of the Safari Zone)

Sαpphire

Johto Champion
All Go transfers can happen at Fuschia City (taking place of the Safari Zone)

Thanks! Looks like it’ll be a while before I can consider that Vulpix unless I do a trade, but that’s fine since I don’t even have Go right now anyway lol.

Ignition

Thanks! Looks like it’ll be a while before I can consider that Vulpix unless I do a trade, but that’s fine since I don’t even have Go right now anyway lol.
No problem. You can actually do a trade for a Kantonian Vulpix in Celadon if you want one earlier

Edit: nm I misread your comment

MidnightMelody

Hopeful for Gen 8
Trainer customization in these games is the biggest joke I’ve ever seen.
You act like it is good in XY or SUMO. Plus the game was never really advertised to have it. It was more dress up your pokemon

Ducolamia

SAYYYY WHAT???
I just played up to the third gym so here are my impressions so far. Honestly, I like this game more than I thought I would. There was an honest to god effort in trying to make this a fun, but casualized experience. It's not the best pokemon game out there, but it's enjoyable and I can an audience who likes this game. The best way I can describe it is that you don't play this game for a super hard challenge. You play this game to relax from a super hard challenge and maybe hang out with a friend.

That being said here's the good so far:

The game looks really good. I feel if Su/Mo were on the Switch it would fair much better honestly, but here is this weird crossbreed between Su/Mo and X and Y. It's a bit odd, but I like it. It looks polished and honestly, if you play this game, play it on a tv. It looks way better that way. The expressions and models for the characters are also infinitely better than SuMo. No more awkward pauses and our trainer actually expresses wonder. Just wonder. This is what I was missing from Alola. Our trainer just acting like a human being in a new world. It really does make me remember being a kid again. And also thankfully, those long cuts in SuMo are gone too. Everything flows much faster and smoother. I didn't experience a frame drop once.

The animations are pretty okay for being reused/redone. It's more remastered than anything, but acceptable. I will say though that some of them look hilariously awkward in capture mode, but outside in the real world it's pretty good. I will say though that the spawning does piss me off sometimes as I could be walking all of a sudden and then 10 pokemon appear on screen causing me to go into capture mode. Though it is much easier to navigate without a RE every 5 minutes.

The game system is great. Everything works really nicely, the UI is alright, but a bit small for my taste, and the options menu is great too. You can skip cut scenes now (THANK GOD), and pretty much optimize everything from how high and low you want the pokemon's voices. The pokedex isn't a cluttered mess like in Su/Mo too. However, the bag is really meh. Like having a box for everything is good, but not having a box for spare items really justs bothers me. Like, let me make spare pouches.

Battle go by pretty quickly in this game. I like that because I hate dealing with joke characters with 6 magikarp or 4 annoying pokemon to take down unless they are a special trainer. I also liked how they optimized the pokeball system. You WILL FAIL at catching pokemon in this game, but thankfully you gain experience for your captures (even more than battling I'd argue). And each trainer battle does give you pokeballs, so you do have an incentive to beat trainers in this game at least. Also, gym leaders are pretty cool too. A very nice homage and to give them credit, they do try to flesh them out a little bit. Not B/W, but something is better than nothing. The motion controls are functional and work fine, but it is a little weird at first.

The bad:

Taking out abilities I can deal with, but keeping in natures is dumb as hell. Natures are even more complicated to deal with than abilities and I think it really goes against the nature (haha) of this game to make it so instead of everyone on a level playing field, when one pokemon is objectively better than the other. At least with abilities, pokemon have a chance. It's just really dumb.

This game is very simplified and is clearly for a casual audience. This can be a bit alienating at some points. It doesn't bother me a lot, but I can definitely understand people who wouldn't like that. If you're looking for a challenging pokemon game, this won't be it. Though it's probably not trying to be to begin with.

Character customization is a joke for the player character. Your starter is cool and you get a bunch of stuff for them, but your trainer is utterly screwed. How does it get worse with each gen? By gen 8 we're just gonna have regular trainer assets again.

That being said, for technical advancements, I honestly wished this would be in the next gen, not the motion controls really, but the optimization and the organization parts of this game. I really like them, but we probably aren't going to see them again. *sigh* watch gen 8 have a no "skip the movie" option. lol

Overall, enjoyable and fun. Nothing too cringeworthy.

Also, Co-op is fun. Not a fan of the dogpiling, but my brother and I really had fun with it. It was a smart idea to split your team according to the second player, but I understand them not wanting to pull an XD and make every trainer a potential double battle.