• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Pokemon: Master Champion (personal project)

Trainer Walker

Hello people of the world! My name is Trainer Walker, and I'm a huge Pokémon fan. I have been a serious fan for only about half a year now, and I haven't played any of the new games - the last gen I played was gen 4. I'm sure I can't be the only one like this. Anyhow, I've actually come to this forum for a reason! My friends and I played this board game called 'Pokémon: Master Trainer' a while back. If you're not familiar with this board game, you should be. It's a super old game based in generation 1, which costs anywhere between 300-400$ these days. Anyhow, I played this game for my birthday with my friends, and we played it so much that we started to add custom rules and scenarios in order to extend the longevity of the game. As we're doing this, I have the idea to make a new rule book for the board game, rehashing certain rules and fitting it more to the style that fits our preference. As I did this, I had an idea; what if we made not just a new rulebook, but a whole new game to go with it?

Since I gave the idea to my roommate we've been working diligently to make it a reality. At first the project had no name, and was estimated to be done within a month. 3 months in, and we're only a fraction through the material we've decided to include. However, we did pin a name to it: Pokémon: Master Champion. If you like the Pokémon handheld games, certain roleplaying aspects of Dungeons and Dragons, and of course if you like TTRPGs, wait until you see some of what I am going to show you!

Imagine this, if you're intrigued: you're sitting at a table with six of your friends. Each of your six friends, or you, will be Pokémon Trainers embarking on your own personal journey to discover more about the world of Pokémon. All of you start at age 10 and are considered 'Lads' and 'Lasses'. Not knowing much about the world or yourself, the six players will begin their trek by selecting one of six starter pokemon, choosing which town is their hometown, and then setting their sights on the horizon. Some trainers may be driven to equalize the world with heroism or villainy, while others may focus on their bonds and relationships with their pokemon, and others may focus solely on the strength of their teams of Pokémon. Some trainers strive to create their own paths, choosing to remain neutral or unchanged. However one chooses to exist is their own right. The six trainers will then move around the board, battling or catching pokemon that they encounter, cataloguing the ones they have encountered and anticipating the moment they find a new, unique pokemon. Their locations and stats are exactly the same as in the Handheld generation 2 games. Meaning that Pokémon, and really anything, that exists in a certain or specific manner or fashion in those games, exist in the same way in the board game, paying homage to the origins of this game. Glitches and aspects unique to those games will also exist, unless they're game-breaking. The ways of obtaining items and pokemon are also the same, meaning that characters and events will also occur similarly.

As you and your friends continue your adventure, you'll find that the experiences you endure bring out of you a potential that lies in wait. Soon, you'll outgrow your title of 'Lad' or 'Lass', and you'll grow into another title, or Class. You'll continue this personal evolution for your entire adventure, and so will the trainers around you, each earning their own sets of skills and proficiencies, becoming more and more the masterful trainers they set out to become. This function is completely unique to this project, and is not found in the original handheld games. However, these titles and classes all exist within the universe, and the concept explores the way humans are also pokemon, and in a non-spontaneous fashion, they evolve, much like pokemon do, just over time and not instantaneously. It draws inspiration from the class systems of Dungeons and Dragons, and the 'tech-tree' concept of other game titles. These kinds of classes include titles such as Bug Catcher, Beauty, Pokefan and Pokemaniac, Scientist and Hiker, Fire Breather, Camper, Officer, even Team Rocket Grunts and Leaders! Others are included but won't be mentioned here.

Experience Pokémon battles in a much more personal manner. Declare battles with your friends or any Trainer who has a pokemon and accepts. NPCs are included. Each player will have a Rival from the same town, and will be unique to each player. Meaning that each player will always have a challenge specifically catered for them and their teams, influencing that player to become stronger and more involved. At multiple checkpoints, each player will have to overcome their Rival in order to proceed. Each player will get the chance to fight in the Pokémon League, but they must first reach a certain milestone. When one player becomes the Champion, then the game is technically won. However the game does not have to end at any point, meaning that the player who becomes the Champion will need to protect their title from NPCs and other players alike, making sure that there is always a challenge to overcome.

Pokémon Breeding and Trading are also included, and exist in the same manner as in the handheld versions of generation 2. Pokémon Friendship levels exist, with added milestone levels associated with the level of trust a Pokémon has in you. Each pokemon caught normally will be slightly Upset, but after earning just five FLs with your pokemon, it will become Calm. These levels also exist, in ascending order: Resentful, Distrustful, Angry, Upset, Calm, Cheery, Happy, Ecstatic, Content. Each of these specified milestones directly affect the way a pokemon earns experience and friendship levels, as well as how the pokemon acts, obeys, and grows. Make sure that you are befriended with your pokemon, or it may be a lot harder to control than others!

This is only a small fraction of the work cut out for me and my one other developer. While we are constantly working diligently on this passion project of ours, this undertaking is much larger than I could have ever imagined. Please, if I've caught your attention and you feel like this is a game that you may be interested in playing or even helping in the development of it, please let me know. I want to hear all sorts of feedback, like what features I should add or remove, or if I'm doing a well enough job or not. I also want to know your opinion of the game itself, if you already know of projects like mine, and if you think I'm plagiarizing content. One day upon the release of this project, it will be known that every single little thing we're using was made from scratch, researched meticulously, and passionately preserved into this new iteration of a Pokémon TTRPG. Our Pokedex was made from scratch, so is the Move Index I'm working on every day. Then the Learnset Index will be made from scratch, the Status Conditions and Ailments Table will be genuinely authentic, while still keeping the original Pokedex descriptions and statistics from the original games. Again, there is much work to be done.

Thank you for those of you who have read the entire way. You may contact me by PMing me on this site, or you may send me an email at bmwalker@alvinisd.net. Feel free to ask questions or get involved. Anyways, that's my project: Pokémon: Master Champion. I hope I was able to pitch the idea and not just infodump. I will be checking this forum semi-regularly to leave updates and answer questions.

Until Next Time,
Trainer Walker.