• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Pokemon Mechanics adapted & explained in other Pokemon works

shoz999

Back when Tigers used to smoke.
So one of the fun aspects to a hardcore Pokemon fan is recognizing Pokemon mechanics at work in a Pokemon adaptation. So let's get started.

I'll go first. Evolution Cancel!

In the Adventures fanbase, discussing with Pokemon Adventure fans on where a story could go is like talking to a bunch of Pokemon video-game lore enthusiasts but surprisingly they're seems to be some fans who are not aware of what one particular scene where the character Yellow instantly evolves her Pokemon represents and by extension a mechanic that even a few fans have never even heard of and that is you can actually stop your Pokemon from evolving which may lead them to reach levels past their evolution requirements. This mechanic is called "Evolution Cancel". This was a surprise for me because I thought this was common-knowledge.

To most Pokemon Adventure fans, the scene where Yellow shows different ways of stopping evolution and have her over-leveled Pokemon evolve to there final stages is a brilliant take on how evolution cancel works. Basically you just simply interrupt the evolution is all. That's literally it with no effort. However the manga mostly portray this as the trainer shaking your Pokemon or creating a lot of noise to stop the evolution. If you want a more safer way of doing this, the Pokedex has it's very own "B button" mechanic built into it emits a specific type of noise that cancels evolution. That's not it though. The character Yellow shows the reader how quickly over-leveled Pokemon can evolve as a result of stopping evolution cancel. This doesn't happen over a few rounds but quickly in a single page showing that when a Pokemon has reach certain requirements, they can possibly evolve to their final stages in quick seconds, which is actually how the games go down too.

What I find interesting about this is how the noise, shaking and Pokedex basically represents the "B button" mechanic. Like the games B button mechanic, there is no real effort to stop the evolution. It's almost as easy with the press of a button lol. What I also find interesting is how different this is from the anime's take which features no easy "B button" mechanic, no instantaneous method to stop evolution. In fact the anime's take is the complete opposite of Adventures take as it requires more focus. Instead of interrupting evolution through noise or shaking as it's take on the "B button" mechanic, the evolution is cancelled by a Pokemon concentrating and standing still to cancel evolution. The two best examples are Bulbasaur during his evolution ceremony from the Indigo League and Piplup however it's Piplup that is somewhat peculiar. Unlike Bulbasaur, Piplup needs the move, Bide, to stop evolution. Most fans have guess that it's not necessary but it helps Piplup concentrate.