• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Pokemon Moves that deserve more/less PP

espeon_155

Pokemon Prof.
I was thinking there are moves that are so hard to keep because of PP. Well for one I noticed they could have given trick room at least 10/10 PP. because that makes it so much easier to use...

Then there are moves that seem to have too much PP, things like growl and leer I think have too much PP, it's kind of hard to use them all up from the start. SOme of my favorite moves, do have fair amount of PP, like psychic, and shadow ball, but some even with PP ups still suck...

so I want to hear from some people about other moves...

HyenaHaze

Serial Experiment
Fire Blast. It's innacurate, yet thunder gets more PP than it. It irratates me.

espeon_155

Pokemon Prof.
Yes, that is so true about that move. Also things like blizzard and fire blast could use a little tuning up... make them at least like dragon rush...

HyenaHaze

Serial Experiment
Seriously. Also, I think Fire-type moves should have more PP in general...

PsychicPsycho

I've always thought it was stupid that Blizzard only had 5 PP, but had only 70% accuracy. Either increase the accuracy or the PP; among moves with the same damage, there's Fire Blast and Hydro Pump with 5 PP & 85% acc., Thunder with 10PP and 70% acc., and Solarbeam with 10PP & 100% acc. but takes 2 turns. I don't get why Blizzard's left out in the cold (haha).

Also, there's Psychic, with 90 damage & 10PP. Moves comparable to this are Surf, Thunderbolt, Flamethrower, & Fly (all with 95 damage, 15PP). There's also Earthquake with 100 damage & 10PP. So come on, more PP or more damage, please (same goes for Sludge Bomb & Ice Beam).

I suppose for ones having too much, there's Extrasensory; It does 80 damage and has 30PP. It seems appropriate for legends that can learn it, like the dog trio, but with commoners, it seems a bit much.

Yonowaru in Chaos

gaspard de la nuit
Giga Drain, to make it worthwhile. 15 PP.

I've always thought it was stupid that Blizzard only had 5 PP, but had only 70% accuracy. Either increase the accuracy or the PP; among moves with the same damage, there's Fire Blast and Hydro Pump with 5 PP & 85% acc., Thunder with 10PP and 70% acc., and Solarbeam with 10PP & 100% acc. but takes 2 turns. I don't get why Blizzard's left out in the cold (haha).

Also, there's Psychic, with 90 damage & 10PP. Moves comparable to this are Surf, Thunderbolt, Flamethrower, & Fly (all with 95 damage, 15PP). There's also Earthquake with 100 damage & 10PP. So come on, more PP or more damage, please (same goes for Sludge Bomb & Ice Beam).

I suppose for ones having too much, there's Extrasensory; It does 80 damage and has 30PP. It seems appropriate for legends that can learn it, like the dog trio, but with commoners, it seems a bit much.

Well besides accuracy and power, you've got to consider the type coverage and side effects it harbours, and also (to a lesser extent) what pokemon are able to learn the move. Ice-type moves have very great type coverage, so naturally, Ice-moves have lower PP than other moves with comparable base power.

Rainy_Day

Swimmer
Thunderbolt, Ice Beam, and Flamethrower should all have equal PP.

Fire Blast and Hydro Pump need to either have more PP or perfect accuracy--as they are, they are completely outclassed by Flamethrower/Surf in most cases.

Aqua Jet and Aqua Tail deserve more PP. Aqua Jet has 10 less than every "quick attack" of any type. Aqua Tail has both less accuracy and less PP than Waterfall but only 10 more base power, making it worthless.

CrYsTaL-Suicune

Trust..Bond of heart
It makes me wonder why Icy Wind only had about 15 PP (the same as Flamethrower and Thunderbolt) when it's not as powerful as those two. I guess it needs more PP or it's power should be increased.

One more thing that's got me thinking. The Powder Attacks. Sleep Powder, Poison Powder, Stun Spore. They've got too much PP, in my opinion. You can only afflict it once (except Sleep Powder) on one pokemon in your opponent anyway. And even if the opponent evades it, it's not likely that you'll need 35 Stun Spores for that. I think those moves need a little PP cutting.

Yonowaru in Chaos

gaspard de la nuit
Thunderbolt, Ice Beam, and Flamethrower should all have equal PP.

Fire Blast and Hydro Pump need to either have more PP or perfect accuracy--as they are, they are completely outclassed by Flamethrower/Surf in most cases.

It makes me wonder why Icy Wind only had about 15 PP (the same as Flamethrower and Thunderbolt) when it's not as powerful as those two. I guess it needs more PP or it's power should be increased.

Type coverage. Simple as that. Ice takes down many type combinations that powerful pokemon possess. Torterra, Salamence, Garchomp, Hippowdon, Tangrowth, and many more of that type. Flamethrower, Surf and Thunderbolt in contrast, don't take down as many pokemon (based on super effectiveness) than they do.

CrYsTaL-Suicune

Trust..Bond of heart
Also there is Muddy Water. It's usually overshadowed by Surf which has more accuracy and more power. Yet it has less PP than Surf. An increase in PP or accuracy would do it good.

Yonowaru in Chaos

gaspard de la nuit
^^Well it, itself has an accuracy modifier that screams HAX.

The devolopers also have to account for the fact that Muddy Water works differently to Surf in double battles.

CrYsTaL-Suicune

Trust..Bond of heart
What?

How are they different in double battles? As far as I know, they're the same. Only that Muddy Water has a chance of lowering the opponent's accuracy.

CrYsTaL-Suicune

Trust..Bond of heart
Ah. In D/P. I thought you meant R/S/E.

But adding PP to Muddy Water would make a few differences.

CrYsTaL-Suicune

Trust..Bond of heart
Splash has too much PP (o.o). At least a struggling magikarp can do SOME damage.

Point well taken. At 40 PP, it's more than Tackle's. Cutting it to 20 or 15 would be an improvement. But that would make it Struggle faster. And faint itself faster too.

CrYsTaL-Suicune

Trust..Bond of heart
Ingrain too. You only need to use it once. And when you use it, you can't switch out your Pokemon anyway.