• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Pokemon Mystery Dungeon--Gemstone (PG 13)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Master of All

Call me Peter...
Awesome chapter!
In my personal belief i think that leo will get more involved with our collection of heroes, as a team member or the leader of Amp Plains, i don't know.
And a little of track here but will you include 5th generation pokemon in your story when black and white come out?
Well all in all a great chapter,
MOA signing out!

Brumrha

Banned
What?? You didn't spread my message over to the rest of the readers? *sigh* You disappoint me, Sugary Piplup...

Even so, I did notice that you've did manage to come up with your own title for this chapter. The other things are that this chapter was most definitely a huge mix of comedy combined with some shocking revelations, in which they almost made me feel like I was watching "Dr. G" especially at the ending, which is a hell of a cliffhanger.

Unfortunately, there are still some kinks that need to be ironed out...

Emerald... I’m just getting to know her well! Officer Charlie... he was talking about proposing to Officer Mawile! Had they both been rescued?
She thought, or did they fall to their death?

Whyyy is this centered?! As far as I know, there's no need for this. That needed Italicizing, not centering, as it's dealing with Penny's thoughts. *sigh* Now I can't even trust you with the proper alignments, bolding, italicizing, & underlining anymore...

“Quit complaining already, the both of you,” a third voice resonated, “We’re doing a job for the boss. Of coarse it’s going to be boring! I, for one, never whinge, unlike you bunch of Snorlax.”

Okay... I, for one, will admit that this may have slipped underneath my radar, but now looking even closer, I've still caught this. That is supposed to be course, as coarse deals with powder, sandpaper, grinding stones & the like; this sentence involved none of these.

Roserade, or Poison Thorn as she’s commonly known as to others, ignored the remark and approached the helpless Riolu, her eyes cold. Still crying, Penny looked up at her, the big grey eyes were still swimming with tears as the Roserade studied her with great authority.

1. Her
2. Last time I checked, Riolu's eyes were red, not gray.

Aside from this, there are a couple things plaguing my brain: Did my title suggestion help you in any way? & can you tell me more about Holly & Michael?

Last edited:

sweet_piplup123

I lost the game?!?!
To Mystic: Heh... I should get to it soon, don't I? *faceplants* And don't panic! I had Gardevoir's place all worked out. ^^

To master of all: I am indeed considering that. As for the 5th generation, I haven't thought about it since I don't know much of the Pokemon at the moment.

To Brumrha: Okay, here's the thing. I've discovered some mistakes about an hour after posting it, but the thing is, I tried to change it, and this effing "Internal Server Error 500" message kept on coming up. >__< (PS: Penny's eyes are grey, it's a personal touch I added like I did with Jenny's furs.)

Snostar

I seriously love this fanfic! Im writing one, and i might need some help. i could explain the plot so far. And in process of impatietntly waiting 4 the next chapter. I see mistakes, but not a nazi. 8U 1 more thing. i think you need to update the Quicklinks.

-Snostar (Snowstar was taken...)
PS i joined just to talk w/ you! =D

sweet_piplup123

I lost the game?!?!
EDIT: I'm not bumping the thread! It's just that when I first posted this an internal server 500 kept on happening when I tried to fix up some mistakes! I'll go and delete the other post now! Don't worry!

Arrgh, this thing took so long to write and correct. School stress and personal problems did not help, but once the school holiday came around I was able to relax a little and finish this properly.

Chapter 14--A Storm is Brewing...

Defence Scarf—looks like a normal white scarf, but enables you to defend better. One way to tell it apart from normal white scarves is to try and dye it in a different colour—a genuine Defence Scarf resists coloured dyes. They cannot resist mud, blood and dirt however, so it’s still necessary to clean them on a regular basis.

--Pokepedia Section 3: Items​

A parent’s worst fear is losing their children.

And two members from the police force of Treasure Town were certainly feeling the pressure. Sheriff Lucario and Officer Swampert had overcome their first obstacle—the tall grass of Amp Plain was now behind them. What lies ahead was a terrain with tall rocks protruding everywhere—it seemed like someone went crazy and began using Earth Power repeatedly, thus forming the landscape in front of them. But there was one thing for certain— danger could leap out where they would least expect it.

Lucario kneeled down and place his hand on the ground; he remained in the position for a few minutes before informing his partner, “We’re almost there.”

“Are you sure about this, sir?” there was a hint of urgency in Officer Swampert’s voice.

The blue and black jackal nodded, “The Mafia Angels normally don’t mingle in amongst locals. This area has little Pokémon activity, so I’m guessing not many of the locals come here.”

“Sir...” the Swampert didn’t know what to say next. Physically, he was strong, with his trunk-like blue arms, sturdy legs and a fearsome appearance. But on the inside, it was a completely different story.

Out of all the outlaws who could’ve kidnapped Katherine and Penny, he thought, why the Mafia Angels? I never faced them before, but their reputation, and that incident... what if...

“What’s wrong?” asked Sheriff Lucario, turning to his partner.

“N-nothing,” he said quickly, thinking, now it’s not the time to be weak, you idiot!

The sheriff’s red eyes were piercing through him with reproachfulness, “Swift, please don’t take me as a fool,” he said, “I can sense your feelings.”

That made Swampert jump; he muttered a quick apology and turned away, embarrassed.

“Look, it’s fine to be worried!” said Lucario, comforting his comrade, “To be honest, I felt the same too.”

Officer Swampert, or Swift as he’s commonly known by everyone at the station, did not answer, taking more interest on the ground in front of him.

“I’m serious,” he continued, sighing, “Don’t think I’m saying it just to cheer you up. You know how much Penny meant for me.”

As he finished saying that, the sheriff twitched his mouth and gripped at a rock he was holding. He was partly lying, because he never knew how much Penny had meant for him, until now. He was supposed to be on the camping trip, but as the head of the police force, he could not simply just go off on a holiday like that. Instead, he called on Officer Charlie and went back to his work.

And now, this! Maybe I should’ve called on another officer to go with him, or even better, if I went with Charlie... maybe none of this would happen. All we can do now is rescue them. The sheriff thought, he crouched down and flicked the rock out of his paw.

The two of them continued on contemplating about the events that happened, until Officer Swampert finally broke the silence, “Sir? Can I please ask you something?”

“Go ahead.”

“Quit reading my thoughts!” he chortled, giving Lucario a friendly slap on the back, “It’s creepy!”

“I will if you stop being depressed,” said the half-amused sheriff, “And correction, I can only sense your feelings, I can’t read minds.”

“I still think it’s kind of scary, sir,” replied Officer Swampert, scratching his head, a sheepish grin plastered across his face.

Lucario shrugged, thinking, I haven’t seen him like this ever since the blackmail arrived, we really needed this kind of spirit. After all, he smiled, we can’t let the enemy see our weakness.

**********​

He could hear the wind whoosh past his ears, accompanying the raindrops in nature’s symphony. Because of the excessive rain in the last couple of days, every part of the forest was so drenched in Kyogre’s spells it’s practically impossible to find a dry place. Vision was a problem from the heavy rain, where raindrops stung his eyes about every five seconds. He tried squinting, but everything appeared to him as a mass of brown, green and blue colours, like an infant’s drawing.

“Hang on there, boy! We’re almost there!”

The words brought a little relief, knowing that he was clinging onto someone, and whoever it was, they were moving very fast, resulting in him bouncing up and down his or her back.

It was hard to hang on, and, eventually, he lost his grip when that someone tripped over. There was an alarmed yell, a somewhat exhilarating airborne momentum lasted for a second before he was flung into the raging and unforgiving water.

The water blinded him as he bobbed up and down helplessly. He didn’t know how to swim, so the best he could do was to flail around like a pathetic Magikarp. Just as his consciousness was about to slip away from all the water rushing into his head, luck was on his side: his paw came across a large piece of floating bark, in which he made a desperate grab at and managed to hang on.

He struggled to stay afloat for the next few minutes; sobbing uncontrollably, his face had fear written all across it as he peeked out from behind the floating bark. He didn’t need a clear vision to know he was in big trouble: several metres in front of him were water, flowing down to what seemed to be the edge of the world.

A familiar voice was calling out to him, but the torrent was sapping his strength. He wanted to raise his arm and call back, but he was too exhausted as the waterfall edged in closer, and closer...

“Ahhhhhhhh!”

“Dude, you’re awake! Finally!” a masculine voice called out.

Oliver could felt himself lying on his back; his body was covered in cold sweat, his heart beating wildly against his chest.

I... I was drowning! In the water! Am I... dead? He looked at his arms to see if he had turned transparent but they appeared as a blur of green to him.

A sudden headache cleared up the answer to his question.

Urgh, that was terrible... he thought. Groaning, he supported himself up with an elbow and began massaging his head.

The same voice continued, “What a scream, man! You should try out for the opera!”

“What... no, I’m a terrible singer... ” Oliver uttered a reply as the greyness around him started to take shapes, giving him the impression he was in a cave. The bed he was on felt hard, and not even the straws placed underneath could disguise the fact it was made out of flat stone.

A cup was forced into his hands, “Drink up,” said the voice, “You looked like you just came back from hell.”

“Well, I felt like I’ve been through hell,” said Oliver, looking up at the owner of the blue paw and yellow ringed leg. His saviour’s yellow eyes stared back at him with relief and curiosity, the black mane that grew around his blue face was so messy any parent would be tempted to groom him.

“Well, quit staring and drink up!” said the Luxio, “I’ve made this for you!”

Oliver muttered thanks and let the sweet tasting juice run down his throat. A warm and fuzzy feeling flowed through his body; his vision began clearing up and the migraine was slowly easing. He sighed with relief.

“So, how was it?” Luxio asked eagerly.

“It was pretty good!” said the Treecko appreciatively, “I have never tasted anything like this!”

“Well, this is my own, ahem, specially blended concoction,” Luxio said in a pompous unlike his own, “You don’t get it anywhere else.”

Oliver raised his eyebrows in bemusement, “Well then, you should be a chef and make money out of this,” he said.

This made Luxio crack up with laughter.

“I was only joking!” he said, swiping his starry tail in a friendly way, “It’s only got Oran Berries! ANYONE can make it!”

“Really?”

“Yeah, really,” explained Luxio, “Just squish the juice out, add some water and, hey presto! It’s ready!”

Oliver smiled. Nice guy, he would make a good team member so I don’t have to be stuck with those annoying girls all the time...

The thought suddenly struck him as the cup fell to the floor with a dull ‘clunk’.

“Crap, the girls!” he slapped his own face and leaped up from the bed, “I’ve forgotten about them!”

Luxio almost fell over, surprised at Oliver’s quick recovery, “Whoa there! What the—”

“Luxio!” he interrupted, hopping on the spot, “Where’s Jenny and Rosa? They were right beside m—”

“Calm down, gecko,” said Luxio, “And my name’s Leo, remember it.”

“Okay Leo, where on earth—”

“I said calm down, please!” Leo continued in an exasperated tone, holding one of his paws up to the Treecko’s face, “Introduce yourself first! Or should I call you ‘gecko’ from now on?”

“The name’s Oliver,” he said, crossing his arms in annoyance, “Now could you PLEASE tell me what happened to the other two already?”

“Oh, looks like there were three of you,” said Leo, “I only picked up dear Torchic by your side so I don’t know what happened to the other girl.”

“The third was a Piplup—has Jenny woken up yet?”

“No, she’s a heavy sleeper. Could’ve waked her up with a Chesto but I couldn’t find any,” explained Leo, motioning to the other side of the room—there was a bed very much like the one Oliver slept on, only smaller, and lying on top of the straws was one unconscious Torchic.

“She’s a strange girl, kept on talking in her dreams,” he added, “Called out to some guy named Liam several times.”

“Right, that’s it,” said Oliver angrily, thinking, I can’t believe her, she has the time to dream when we have an emergency crisis here!

Leo was momentary confused, but the intention was made clear when Oliver stormed over to Jenny and started shaking her violently.

“What the—oi! Get away from her!” he hurried over. But it was too late; Oliver had already yanked Jenny off the bed. Leo, who was desperately trying to get Oliver away from the defenceless Torchic, rammed him to the side of the bed. The Treecko wasn’t about to give up however, he tried to swat Leo away with his tail, but Leo countered with a silvery Iron Tail attack.

“Quit it!”

“Out of my way!” Oliver strikes with his fist and missed Leo’s nose by inches, “I need to talk to her!”

Oliver was responded with a defiant roar. He was about to speak again but Leo was nowhere in his sights. Then, without warning, he was forced face-first on the ground.

“Gotcha,” Leo hissed victoriously, the front of his body resting on Oliver’s back, one of his paws pressing onto the Treecko’s left arm.

“Get-off-me-NOW!” he protested, he tried to twist around and punch Leo, “This is none of your business!”

“Oh, it’s none of my business you’re trying to attack the defenceless, is it?!” said Leo angrily, his eyes gleaming, “Use your common sense, dude! You lost your mind or what?”

“Watch what you said there, DUDE,” rebutted Oliver, trying to avoid breathing in Leo’s mouth odour, “She’s the leader of our team, she let our teammate walk straight into Mafia Angel’s claw, and you expect me to do nothing?”

“Yes, I do—wait, she’s WHAT?!” Leo exclaimed; Oliver felt the paws against his arms were lifted off, as Leo continued, “Whaddya mean, ‘she let our teammate walk straight into Mafia Angel’s claw’?”

“Long story, but we have to wake her up, NOW!”

Silence hung over the atmosphere as Leo let go of Oliver, who was feeling resentful towards the Luxio for hurting him.

“Y’all right?”

Oliver shot back while massaging his left arm, “What do you think, idiot?”

“Gee, no need for that kind of attitude,” said Leo, “Wasn’t even my hardest tackle.”

The Treecko was about to say something when a familiar cough rang out, clear as day, “Did you hear that?” he asked.

“Sure did, gecko,” said Leo, shrugging, “I think your girlfriend just woke up.”

“She’s NOT my girlfriend,” muttered Oliver, not appreciating the joke.

Indeed, a dazed Jenny was sitting up against her bed, trying to regain her co-ordination as a blur of green, blue and black headed towards her.

“Mmmf... R-Rosa?” she uttered, “Is that you?”

Oliver couldn’t help rolling his eyes, “No, it’s me,” he said sadistically.

“Oliver... ”

“Well, thank you for finally waking up, Jenny,” the Treecko continued on relentlessly, “Because we need to sort out a few things, RIGHT NOW.”

“Hey, hold on a sec!” Leo interrupted, “Don’t you think she need time to settle down?”

“She already had enough time to settle down, I need to talk to her,” said Oliver blatantly.

“Um... excuse me, but who are you?” Jenny asked, not recognising the new voice.

“Oh, that’s Leo, our rescuer,” Oliver explained quickly, “But let’s gets back onto our topic—”

“Hey, that question was for me, don’t butt in! By the way, girl,” the Luxio pushed a cup towards Jenny, “Have a drink and relax.”

“Leo! I need to talk to her!”

“I have a say in this, you know!” he said crossly, facing Oliver, “I know more about the Mafia Angels than you, so quit interrupting.”

“Don’t give me that load of hogwash,” said Oliver, annoyed, “You’re just trying to cover for Jenny.”

“No, I bloody wasn’t!” defended an outraged Leo, “I got kicked out of the tribe because of the Mafia Angels! There! Now is it still hogwash to you, gecko?”

That was enough to draw Oliver’s interest, “Huh? You were in a tribe?”

“Of course, the Luxio and Luxray tribe!” Leo replied proudly, “We’ve been around for generations!”

Jenny piped up also, “Wait! I know that name! They fought Team Destiny a long time ago, didn’t they?”

“That’s us!” he said, winking at her, “Me grandfather was one of the nine leaders who fought them.”

“Can we stop it with the history lesson and get on with what’s happening here?” said an annoyed Oliver, “This is an emergency!”

“Umm, Oliver?” said Leo, reaching for a blue envelope on the table, “Before you continue on attacking her, why don’t you chill out and read this?”

“A letter?” Oliver took the envelope, turning it over.

“It was next to your bag,” Leo explained, “I think your teammate wrote it.”

Seconds later, Oliver, Jenny and Leo were all gathered around the stone bed, reading off Rosa’s words:

Jenny and Oliver:

By the time you read this, I’ll be miles away.

I’m sorry I have to do this, but there’s something I had to deal with myself. Please do not tell any guild members, or come after me. I don’t want anyone to interfere with my plan.

I’ll be fine by myself, I’m well prepared for whatever will be thrown at me.

I can’t say sorry enough, and I promise to make it up to you two when I return.

Your friend, Rosa.

“She... she had a PLAN?” said a disbelieving Jenny.

“Holy s***,” Leo commented, “This Rosa... she had some guts.”

“I told you,” Oliver said victoriously, spits were flying out of his mouth, “I told you she was up to something but you wouldn’t LISTEN to me!”

The Torchic opened her beak, “I—”

“This is all your fault, Jenny,” Oliver let out a barrage of words, “If you would just let me stop her, none of this would’ve happened!”

“Now there, gecko—”

“Oh, so it’s MY fault now, Oliver?” Jenny argued back, her crown flaring with anger, “What about you? What had YOU been doing while I was unconscious?”

Oliver answered acridly, “For your information, Jenny, she pecked me, twice! I got hurt while trying to stop her! And you know what?” he began jabbing his paw at her, “Your trust landed us both in big trouble!”

“Oh, well I thought... I thought—” Jenny started saying something, but accidentally choked on her saliva.

“Lost for words, haven’t you?”

“Of course not!” she replied after hacking a cough, “I thought the whole idea of teamwork was to TRUST each other!”

Oliver, upon hearing Jenny’s comment, gave her a bewildered stare.

“Arceus,” he said slowly, “I can’t believe how naive you are.”

“Ex-excuse me? Who are you calling naive?”

“You said the whole idea of teamwork was to trust each other, but you’re being a downright hypocrite.”

“Oh, whoa there!” Leo interrupted, stepping in between the two, “That was going too far!”

“Leo, get out of our conversation, you have no say—arrgh!” Oliver suddenly felt a jolt of energy that overtook his senses of movement, “What the hell was that for?!”

“Firstly, stop telling me I have no say in this, when I clearly need to step in before you two juveniles starts brawling,” said Leo, “Secondly, you’re not being helpful in this situation so I reckon you should have a taste of my Thunder Wave. And thirdly,” still facing Oliver, the Luxio called out to Jenny, “Can the hot chick to my right get back here, it’s cold in this cave and I don’t like a heater that has legs.”

Jenny stopped walking. Irk, as if dealing with one boy wasn’t enough, now I have a stalker who wants to flirt with me.

“Hello!” Leo said in a singsong voice, “Don’t just stand here, we need to talk!”

“What’s the point of it anyway?” she answered back, pouting, “We’re just going to do more arguing and—”

“No we’re not, I assure you,” said Leo firmly, “If Oliver starts going off at you again he’ll be in for some more pain.”

Oliver was about to protest, but no word came out. Meanwhile, Jenny stumbled back to the stone bed and sat down reluctantly.

“So what now?” she said, “I don’t think I should waste any more time talking to SOMEONE who thinks I’m a hypocrite.”

“Well, you’re one,” said Oliver indignantly, “You trust her more than you trust me.”

“I—”

“Hello! Off-topic alert!” Leo shouted over the duo, “Can we set differences aside and talk about what to do next?”

“Fine, then what do you suggest we do?”

Jenny took a deep breath, “Well,” she said, “I think we should go after Rosa, we shouldn’t waste anymore time if we want to catch up to her.”

“I’m actually thinking of going back to the guild and get reinforcements,” Oliver suggested, “It’s more sensible that way.”

“How is that sensible? That’s way too time consuming!” Jenny exclaimed.

“Rosa is, and I quote, ‘well prepared’. Plus, she has Sheriff Lucario with her.”

“Still! That’s like, two against who-knows-what! By the time we’re done Rosa will be... well...”

“Dead?” Leo added unhelpfully.

“Leo!”

“Right... sorry,” the Luxio scratched his head apologetically, adding his two cents, “Both of you have good suggestions, but I would go after the Piplup. And I have good reasons why,” he added, glancing at Oliver’s outraged face, “I know exactly where she’ll be heading off to so we could catch up to her quickly.”

“You... do?” said Oliver, a hint of suspicion in his voice.

“Well, that bloody gang took over our sacred spot, last time I checked they’re still there.”

Jenny was curious, “The last time you... checked? You mean you fought them before?”

“Well... ” Leo appeared to be downhearted, “I... ” he glanced at the duo, both faces riddled with curiosity, “I became their servant when they took over us leaders, but hey, I’m not with them anymore, alright?” he added quickly, seeing the look of disapproval on their face, “Look, we were just paying respect to our ancestors when, boom! These Mafia *****es came and ran us all down! They offered us great rewards if we serve them. At first I thought it was awesome, but then... then they started messing around with the innocent!”

Leo paused for a second as Jenny and Oliver absorbed the information. Staring at the ground, the Luxio continued in a bitter voice, “One day, I was told to kill off a Granbull! I let him go, and they did this to me,” he sat down and, to the duo’s horror, they saw two deep purplish scars on his underbelly. It seemed like someone had tried to cut him open and pull out his insides.

“At least I survived that,” Leo sighed, getting back to a crouching position, “Me boss and the others wouldn’t listen to me, they started liking the killing, and-and the kidnapping! We’re only in Amp Plain for a month. After that, when they all head back home, the whole entire tribe—all sixty of them, will fall under Mafia Angel’s rule.”

“But why can’t you just go back and tell the whole tribe to move?” asked Oliver.

“Humph, like they’ll believe me, only got to be one of nine leaders ‘cause of me grandpa. Many in the tribe were p***** off at me for stealing the position,” Leo kicked at the ground and said bitterly, “If only I’d let someone else be leader, I wouldn’t even be in this... this mess.”

Jenny’s beak was wide open as Leo poured out his frustrations, “I—I never knew,” she uttered.

“Well, it’s like what Turtwig and Rosa said, they’re not your average outlaw gang,” said Oliver. He jiggled his wrist; the paralysis effect had worn off.

“So why are we still standing here?” said Jenny, jumping up, “We need to hurry and get to Rosa—quickly! Leo, do you think you could—”

“Yeah, no problem,” said Leo, “I’ll carry you there, ‘least I could do to help.”

“Leo? If, say, we ended up fighting the Mafia Angels... would you help us?”

The Luxio looked at a pebble near his front paw, “Not really,” he muttered, before changing the subject, “So Oliver, you coming or what?”

Oliver sighed and picked up the brown treasure bag, “It’s two against one, guess I have no choice.”

**********​

Emily always seizes the opportunity of a nice day to do some housekeeping duties around Sharpedo Bluff, and today was no exception. All morning she had been at work restoring an old vine-woven curtain and washing the flag that fluttered outside the home. Restoring the curtain was time consuming due to the intricate details that had to be restored, and by the time she got to the flag washing it was lunch time.

Early in the afternoon, Emily was in the middle of sweeping the floor when she heard running footsteps coming from the stairs. Her curiosity was resolved when Nancy appeared, puffing and wiping sweat of her forehead.

“Nancy!” she scolded, “I thought I told you not to run on the stairs! And,” she scrutinised her from top to bottom, “You looked like you’ve just ran a marathon! What on earth happened?”

“E... Emily,” said Nancy, staring at the ground, her paws on her knees, “I... I ran through the town...”

“Well, sit down and tell me about it,” said Emily, sliding a stool towards Nancy and offered her a drink. Nancy gulped down the cup of water like someone who had just got out of a desert. In normal circumstances Emily would’ve commented on Nancy’s table manner, but she was more concerned about what she had to say.

“So what happened?” she asked.

“Well... ” Nancy began hesitantly, she took a deep breath before continuing, “I was fetching Nurse Chansey some medicine from the town clinic, but...” a guilty look spread across her face as she talked to the cup, “I couldn’t help but eavesdrop on something.”

“That’s quite impolite of you,” said Emily disapprovingly, “But I don’t see why you need to run back to tell me about it.”

“I do!” Nancy replied, fiddling with her yellow wristband, “There were police officers talking about this crime gang... called Mafia Angels.”

There was a momentary pause as Emily digested this information.

“Oh,” she said softly, remembering the incident, “Don’t worry, Nancy, it’s not of your concern.”

“But I haven’t finished!” Nancy continued on, “I also heard—”

“Run along now, Nancy dear,” interrupted Emily, she stood up and waved her away, “I’m sure Mister Gabite requires further service from you.”

“Wait—”

“Nancy, just go,” said Emily, her voice suddenly harsh. She didn’t want to hear anything relating to that incident and was annoyed with the Treecko for bringing it up.

Nancy refused to give up, “Emily, please!” she exclaimed, clinging onto her steel flipper, “They were talking about Rosa! And Team Gemstar too! I heard them!”

That stopped Emily in her tracks.

Jenny and Oliver? What role could they possibly play in that incident?

Her thoughts were interrupted by Nancy’s muttering, “I finished helping Mister Gabite anyway so no point going back—”

“Oh, alright then,” she cut in, “Tell me what else they said.”

“It was something about Rosa wanting revenge against them, and how she’s going to persuade Jenny and my brother into helping her,” said Nancy, sounding like a journalist reporting about a huge scandal, “If they weren’t officers I would’ve just thought the whole thing was a joke, that’s why I eavesdropped on them...” blushing with embarrassment, she confessed, “I was worried for my brother and I thought you might also be interested.”

As she finished talking, Nancy looked up and was faced with a concerned-looking Emily, who had sunk her claw into the table so hard it left three ugly dents as a result.

Emily knew very well about that incident. She remembered the scars it inflicted on Rosa. She had tried to help her forget about what she saw that particular day, and anything related about Mafia Angels through many methods: from holidaying in Marine Resort to letting her develop artistic skills. They had avoided mentioning the details about the death of Holly and Michael, until now.

“Emily? You’re not mad at me... are you?”

“Not really,” said the Empoleon, steadying herself, “Nancy, let’s go to the town clinic.”

Nancy jumped, her face burning red, “But...won’t the officers be mad?”

Emily sighed, “Frankly, I have many doubts about your claims,” she said, “But this is the only way we can find out the truth, dear,” she motioned Nancy to the door, “Come on, let’s get going.”

**********​

The Riolu looked out from her stone-made cell with terrified eyes. She looked like the younger version of her Dad. Size wise, Penny was half the height of the sheriff, she didn’t have spikes protruding from her body and she also lacked the cream-coloured fur down the front of the body that signifies maturity.

Penny felt lonely and frightened. Katherine had been contained in another cell after she caused some mayhem by hurling water spheres at one of the captors—a Houndoom, no less. Katherine’s idea of water bombing the Mafia Angels didn’t go down so well.

Katherine was optimistic about it, too, “We’ll get out!” she had whispered to Penny, “I’m unbeatable at any sort of water bomb fights!”

It was one of the reasons why the Riolu had become best friends with her, her optimism. She almost started crying when the captors went on about frying her to death with their ‘helpers’. But in the end they imprisoned her down a hole and placed a slab of stone place on top of it.

But Katherine’s welfare weren’t Penny’s only worries. There were also Emerald and Officer Charlie’s situation. The last time she saw them alive was on Officer Charlie’s back, but she blacked out when someone knocked her off in mid-air.

Emerald... I’m just getting to know her well! Officer Charlie... he was talking about proposing to Officer Mawile! Had they both been rescued? She thought, or did they fall to their death?

No! Another voice screamed in her head. Stop being so pessimistic! Can’t you think about something else, like those stories you used to read?

But I can’t think of anything at the moment! She clutched at the teardrop pendant hanging down her neck. How can I?

“Hey, both kids had been quiet for a while now,” said one of the captors suddenly.

“Oh, who knew looking after captives could be soooooo dull,” said another, this time a female.

Penny’s heart jolted as she picked up their conversation, Katherine’s been quiet too? She thought. That’s unusual, she’s always been the noisy one.

Then it struck her.

Of course. She slid to the back of her cell. Katherine has a fear of being buried alive, no wonder she screamed so loudly when the stone was placed on top. If she’s quiet now then... she’s suffering too.

“Quit complaining already, the both of you,” a third voice resonated, “We’re doing a job for the boss. Of course it’s going to be boring! I, for one, never whinge, unlike you bunch of Snorlax.”

“Oh, and I suppose you’re just GREAT at doing your jobs, Houndoom,” the female voice rebutted, “Like, for instance, didn’t I have to help someone recover from a water bomb game.”

“Yeah, that was really pathetic,” said the fourth voice. She’s the one whose wings would stop making vibrating noises whenever she speaks.

Houndoom glared at the two creatures; the one on the right was a large bee with vicious-looking spikes and ruby-red eyes, she flew away with a nervous look when greeted by Houndoom’s glare. The other, a green creature with a turf of white hair, stayed put and simply examined the red and blue rose on the end of her arms. She was unfazed by Houndoom’s threat.

“Just telling the truth here, Hondie,” she continued on, gloating, “I know you’re sensitive to water, but I didn’t realise you were that afraid of it you started screaming like a girl—”

“Why don’t YOU shut up, Poison Thorn!” the black canine roared in anger, his nose almost touching Roserade’s face, “Do you want me to set your roses on fire?!”

“Quit it, the both of you!” a blue and white bunny stepped in between Houndoom and Roserade, “The boss will be mad if he saw this behaviour!”

“Too right,” said the Beedrill, “I agree with Azui here, you two should stop bickering once in a while.”

“Humph,” the Roserade responded with a sneer. Crossing her rose arms, she turned and walked away, her green cloak fluttering with grace. Houndoom, however, responded with more threatening growls. His teeth bore between his red jaws as the fan at the tip of his whip-like tail swept the ground from left to right.

“Loosen up, Houndoom,” the Roserade commented, “No wonder you don’t have girlfriends, you scared them all away.”

A sobbing noise suddenly distracted all of them. Houndoom, who was about to lash out on the rose creature, stopped halfway; Azumarill and Beedrill both lifted their head in interest and Roserade raised her eyebrows in surprise.

“Did you hear that?” said the blue bunny.

“Yeah, spotty,” said Houndoom, still scowling at Roserade’s remark, “I think it came from that Riolu’s cell.”

“I’ll take a look.” the Beedrill approached Penny with full confident, smiling. She had only been with the gang for a year—a newbie—and one of her goals was seizing every chance there is to prove her significance in the gang.

“Why hello there,” she said to Penny in an over-friendly way, “Missing your Daddy?”

Penny looked up and almost had a heart attack when her eyes met with the Beedrill’s bulgy red eyes; the huge needles attached to her arms were poking between the bars as she made clinking noises with her mouth. Penny started screaming hysterically, scrambling back and gripping hard onto the bars behind.

“Aww, don’t be like that,” said Beedrill, “That’s not very friendly.”

But Penny made her intensions clear when a rock whizzed past one of Beedrill’s wings. Beedrill’s friends, meanwhile, jeered at the scene.

“I’ll pay you one dollar for babysitting!” Houndoom shouted out unkindly.

More laughter arose.

“Oh yeah? Let’s see if you could do better!” Beedrill stormed towards her colleagues, fuming.

“Huh, I bet I could do better than all of you,” the Roserade stepped out with confidence, “Watch and learn.”

Beedrill rolled her eyes, “Whatever,” she muttered.

“What a b***h,” Houndoom whispered to Azumarill, “Bet you a thousand dollars she comes back with a broken nose,” but as soon as Houndoom dropped his words, a collection of rainbow-coloured leaves flew at him; he just managed to dodge it by collapsing onto his friend.

“Watch it, woman!” he said scathingly.

I would be more careful if I were you. Azumarill shook his head, shoving Houndoom off him.

Roserade, or Poison Thorn as she’s commonly known as to others, ignored the remark and approached the helpless Riolu, her eyes cold. Still crying, Penny looked up at her, her big grey eyes were still swimming with tears as the Roserade studied her with great authority.

Penny cringed. Roserade’s superior look just made her felt more discomfort inside. But somehow, she could detect little warmth coming from what seemed to be a barren land of ice, coming from Roserade’s aura. Unfortunately, the warmth did not last long as coldness dominated quickly like the icy winds on Blizzard Island.

Penny began sobbing again; she couldn’t cope with it all this, she just wanted to be home, under a tree with good shade where she could curl up and read a book full of friendship stories and magical places. She shut her eyes and kneeled on the floor.

“Poison Thorn, we got visitors!”

“Visitors?” Roserade eagerly turned back to her comrades, “Beedrill, did you just say... visitors?”

Houndoom confirmed this further, “Yeah! It’s Lucario and Swampert, coming towards us at two-o’clock!”

Dad! Penny lifted her head, wiping the snot from her nose.

“Well, well,” said Roserade, looking at her prisoner, “Looks like your father showed up after all.”

But Penny paid no attention to her, “Dad! Swift!” she began shouting and waving at the small figures through her cell, “Katherine is over—”

“Silence!” her captor ordered, knocking her out with a green sphere.

“Penny!”

“Get out of the way!” Officer Swampert roared, swiping his muscular arms to remove the obstacle in front and allowing Lucario through. Seizing the chance, Sheriff Lucario rushed over to the Roserade with unnatural speed and tackled her; both went crashing onto the ground with a big ‘thud’.

“Go get her, sir!” Officer Swampert was about to take another step, but the other members was quick to recover, surrounded him in a triangular formation. Beedrill buzzed on his right, clicking his sharp needles menacingly; Houndoom was on his left, his expression as intimidating as ever; Azui the Azumarill rubbed his hands together, eager to get a slice of the action.

Meanwhile, Lucario was the first to recover, his eyes full of daggers.

“We have not reached the agreements, please refrain from hurting my daughter,” said the sheriff with great hostility. He turned and was about to check on his daughter when a tangle of vines shot up from the ground and began to wrap around his leg.

“Not so fast,” Roserade got up, holding out her blue rose, she lifted her arms up and the vines crept up to Lucario’s waist. The sheriff did not made attempts of struggle, but instead, looked into his opponent’s eyes. He wasn’t about to let a Grass Knot attack hold him down.

“As expected from someone like you... Poison Thorn, wasn’t it?” said Lucario coolly, “What do you want?”

“Our members, sheriff,” Roserade replied, “Where are Golem and Dragonair? Or,” she tightened the vines around Lucario’s legs, “Have you simply ‘forgotten’ about them?”

“Thought you might ask,” Lucario couldn’t help giving Roserade a pained expression, but he continued, “Unfortunately, I’m afraid this is impossible.”

“I beg your pardon?” Roserade raised her voice.

“I said, it is impossible,” Lucario repeat himself, his eyes unblinking, “Golem and Dragonair surrendered themselves to us and they wished to serve their jail sentences instead.”

Everyone from Mafia Angels stared at Lucario in disbelief.

“It’s true!” Officer Swampert added, “I was there when they—”

“Shut up! No one told YOU to talk!” Houndoom interrupted, swiping his tail at the officer. Using his right arm, Swampert blocked it just in time.

“I’m sure we could offer you some other payment for the ransom,” said Lucario quietly, “But I can’t force Golem and Dragonair to come with us.”

“Be quiet,” Roserade twitched her mouth, the vines reaching Lucario’s upper torso as she went on, “Humph, so what if they did? We asked for them in exchange, and if they’re not present it means you won’t be getting your daughter back.”

“If you say so,” the sheriff suddenly ripped away the vines at his leg in one grab, “But we’re going to win them back!” With that statement made, Lucario flung an Aura Sphere attack at Poison Thorn. Unprepared for the sudden attack, the Roserade staggered back and tripped over a rock. A stinging sensation spread across her left cheek.

The other three that surrounded Officer Swampert didn’t need any commands as they took action too: Houndoom with a hot burst of Ember, pointy needles were flying out from Beedrill and the column of water was a present from Azumarill. The attacks collided, creating an almighty bang which shook the ground slightly.

“Swift!” Lucario, temporarily distracted, whirled around just in time to see billowing smokes rising from where his companion was standing, “It... it can’t be!”

“Looks like your friend got blown to smithereens, sheriff,” Roserade smirked, as the sheriff kneeled on the ground, staring at the smoke in disbelief. The Mafia Angels members all went closer to see the crestfallen Lucario who had started making sobbing noises like how his daughter.

Houndoom looked as if Christmas had come early, “This is so easy,” he said, plodding his dirty paw at Lucario, “With a weak sheriff like this we could’ve taken over Treasure Town.”

Lucario bowed his head and continued on whimpering, he didn’t even try to avenge his companion.

“Hey, perhaps we should tell boss that next,” Azumarill recommended, “Imagine us ruling the town! We could execute all the exploration teams, do whatever we want... isn’t that right, Beedrill?”

Beedrill did not respond. Her eyes were as big as golf balls, staring at the little scene that all the others had failed to notice: right at the location of the stone slab was supposed to be, a blue figure had shifted into Katherine’s cell.

“Beedrill, what are you looking at?” Azumarill poked at her, following her line of vision, “You—what on earth?!”

“Gotcha!”

The Mafia Angels were caught napping as Lucario suddenly sprung up from his kneeling position. With one of his paws out, he started spinning on the spot, slashing with the spike on the back of his paw. Everyone around the sheriff was hit with his Wide Slash, with the exception of Beedrill, who was agile enough to fly up at the last second. A satisfied Lucario gracefully performs a backflip in the air before landing steadily on the ground, right behind a stunned and injured Roserade. He could not believe a high profile outlaws can be fooled by a simple case of Fake Tears.

“Swift, how are things back there?” the sheriff called out, a grin on his face.

“Katherine’s with me!” out came Officer Swampert’s muffled voice, “You grab Penny and let’s run!”

“Oh no, you don’t!” Beedrill screamed in panic, she buzzed over to Penny’s cell at lightning speed, her eyes fierce as a wild bushfire, “You’re NOT getting away that easily!”

Lucario, who knew well about his daughter’s fear to Beedrill, got annoyed by Beedrill’s defiance. “Step aside!” he shouted, pointing back at the other three accomplices, “Or do you want to end up like them?”

“You... you don’t scare me!” inexperienced at facing a foe who have just took down her other comrades, Beedrill blurted out the only thing that came up her mind.

Her reply from the sheriff came in the form of a purple seed, which turned the world around her into an inky darkness. Panicking at the sudden change of ‘environment’, Beedrill started thrashing around like an enraged Gyarados, yelling her head off. She could’ve easily won an award for the most spectacular performance at panicking.

Meanwhile, Lucario rushed to Penny’s cell and discovered it was made out of a big heavy slab of stone sitting on top of sturdy stone columns. His initial thought was smash the top off, but the weight of the stone could crush Penny, who’s already in an unconscious state. Instead, he decided to shift the lid.

But the lid barely budged an inch when the hidden enemies struck.

A warning sign came when a spectacular lightning slashed across the sky. The creatures, seeing the signal, licked their fangs in approbation as they went pouncing out of their alcove and headed over to lend the Mafia Angels a hand. Their leader, stationed high above the prison cells, went straight for Lucario. There was barely time to react: the sheriff found himself skidding along the stony ground with an enemy on top of him. His back grazed from the impact, and though the sudden assault failed to knock him unconscious, it did make him feel delirious and sick.

Lucario had sensed them before. Perhaps he did not take notice of them because they were scattered across the vicinity like many locals, perhaps he was too caught up with worries about the girls’ safety.

One thing for certain—the ignorance was costly.

The leader, a Luxray, looked like something out of a teenager girl’s dream if he didn’t had the most hideous smile plastered across his face. Clearly, he was enjoying his moment as he held the sheriff firmly on the ground, with a paw pressing at his neck, choking him. It wasn’t a pleasant experience. Struggling for breath, Lucario summoned all his strength and threw a punch at Luxray’s head.

There was a sigh of relief when he felt the weight was removed from his body, enabling him to breathe and move again. Coughing, the sheriff got up with difficulty, his back stung like sunburn and his head felt like it was on an out-of-control rollercoaster.

“Sir! I need assistance!”

“S-Swift?” Lucario answered back, holding the side of his head as his co-ordination slowly recovers.

“There’s a bunch of Luxio surrounding me—”

The second half of the sentence was drowned out by a snarl, followed by a blur of black and blue going straight at him for its second time! Lucario stumbled to the side like a drunken sailor and, miraculously, dodged it. But it wasn’t over yet—as soon as one went Lucario was greeted by another.

Come on, pull yourself together! He thought as the second Luxio got so close he could feel the static electricity on his skin. Feeling defenceless being surrounded by enemies on all sides, Lucario was aware that he needed more than his own fighting skills to escape this mess.

I really wish I could use Aura Storm right now... he thought, sending some incoming attackers back with Wide Slash. But a cunning Azumarill, who stood behind him, fired off a Hydro Pump attack. This was the last thing he needed. Screaming in pain, he was launched to the air before coming down to earth for an instant face-mask made out of dirt.

He realised he had to get out of the circle, but with the injury along his back his speed had been greatly reduced. A confident-looking Luxio decided this was a great opportunity to leap onto Lucario and bite his head off. Taking a few running steps, he sprung up into the air, letting the elating airborne momentum absorb him—

Bang! He had a head-on collision with one of his teammates. Obviously they wanted a moment of glory as well. Lucario escaped yet again the scythe of the Grim Reaper. When he finally managed to stand up, he found two disgruntled Luxio on either side of him with big ugly bruises on their forehead.

A familiar voice suddenly rang out, “Outta my way, you dirty scoundrels!”

“Swift!” the sheriff could not help but feeling a sense of joy, though the distraction had result him being hit by Roserade’s Magical Leaf.

Officer Swampert was on a rampage. He blew out a strong force of ice shards and snow at couples of incoming Luxio. Half escaped unscathed, but those who were hit full-on got furs that could match Jack Frost’s beard. Katherine the Mudkip was wide awake as she clung onto Officer Swampert’s neck firmly.

An Energy Ball attack surged towards Officer Swampert. Knowing the consequences the attack will have if it hits him, the officer quickly swerved to the side and almost collided into a cliff wall.

“Ahh!” the little Mudkip suddenly found herself dangling with her two front limbs.

“Sorry Kath! It’s a bumpy ride!”

“I know!” Katherine shouted, slowly getting back up, “It’s hard to aim water bombs like this!”

That got the officer laughing, “So who shall we aim for?”

“Dad, Dad! Let’s go for Houndoom!” Katherine suggested, “That guy can’t even take my water bombs!”

The words reached Houndoom’s ear, who was outraged by the taunt, “Why you cocky little—”

“Great idea, Kath,” Officer Swampert turned to the black canine with an evil grin on his face. He brought his two paws together and clapped, several times. There was a rumbling noise as Houndoom looked up with curiosity, but he never had time to comprehend with what was next: a cascading flow of brown-coloured water tumbling down onto him, and an unfortunate Luxio who happened to stand beside him.

Azumarill was quick to rush over when the brown waterfall disappeared. The Luxio was still moving, slowly getting up and coughing up water. Houndoom, on the other hand, wasn’t so lucky—the Muddy Water was too much for him to take as he slumped onto the ground, unconscious.

“Houndoom!” the blue bunny squeaked in horror, “You—”

A water sphere splashed onto Azumarill, who gave a yell of alarm before looking up, and saw Officer Swampert hi-fiving a cheerful Katherine.

“You!” he yelled in fury, bringing the attention of the father-daughter duo, “You’re so dead!”

“Uh-oh,” said Katherine comically as a red-faced Azumarill charged towards them with clutched fist, “Dad, we better retreat before—”

“Azui, get back here, no need to fight them anymore,” said a cool, female voice in which he was accustomed to.

The clouds in the sky flashed on and off with streaks of lightning; the Luxio gathered around a boulder, all with disgusting carnivorous looks on their face. Luxray, who led the gang, circled around the sheriff, his black mane crackled with menace. Roserade, cool and composed as ever, was standing on the boulder. An ecstatic Beedrill buzzed beside her, holding what seemed to be a large voodoo doll in the air.

But upon close inspection, Beedrill wasn’t holding a doll at all, she was holding an unconscious Penny.

“Why, I praise all your fighting spirits very much,” said Roserade gleefully, as Lucario stood his ground, a mixture of hate and fear upon his face, “Any of you make one more move, and Beedrill here can drop and let her fried by our Luxio friends here. Oh, and don’t even think about using Earthquake or anything so juvenile like that,” she added lightly, pointing her blue rose at Officer Swampert and Katherine, “Beedrill could always drop her into the nearest crack that appears.”

TBC...

Author's Notes:

1. When Leo the Luxio called Jenny a 'hot chick', Leo was indeed flirting with Jenny, but it also emphasise the face Jenny's a Torchic... a bit of a pun, really. He also called her a 'heater' as a reference to Torchic's Pokedex entry.

2. Leo's grandfather, as you've probably guessed, fought the hero and partner in the Amp Plain boss battle.

FocusPresenceEndurance

Aspiring Author
When I saw the picture on deviant art you drew, I was reminded that you posted a new chapter. So that's why I'm late on this one... Sorry bout that. ^^;

Anyway, I liked the chapter a lot. I would very much like to see more of Leo too. Please tell me he's going to join the team. =3 I would love to see him and Oliver bicker some more, and maybe a moment when he blushes when talking to Jenny or something. ^^

Anyway, onto the review (+plus a few comments here and there.)

And two members from the police force of Treasure Town were certainly feeling the pressure. Sheriff Lucario and Officer Swampert had overcome their first obstacle—the tall grass of Amp Plain was now behind them. What lay ahead was a terrain with tall rocks protruding everywhere—

He struggled to stay afloat for the next few minutes; sobbing uncontrollably, his face had fear written all across it as he peeked out from behind the floating bark. He didn’t need a clear vision to know he was in big trouble: several metres in front of him was water, flowing down to what seemed to be the edge of the world.

“Well, this is my own, ahem, specially blended concoction,” Luxio said in a pompous (tone?) unlike his own, “You don’t get it anywhere else.”

“No, she’s a heavy sleeper. Could’ve woken her up with a Chesto but I couldn’t find any,” explained Leo,

Because this one is in quotes I suppose you could argue that it was just the way Leo talks, in which case you can keep it the way it was, but just in case, here it is.

“Out of my way!” Oliver struck with his fist and missed Leo’s nose by inches, “I need to talk to her!”

I loved the interactions you had between Leo and Oliver. ^^ They don't seem to get along together too well do they?

“I told you,” Oliver said victoriously, spit flying out of his mouth, “I told you she was up to something but you wouldn’t LISTEN to me!”

“Can the hot chick to my right get back here, it’s cold in this cave and I don’t like a heater that has legs.”

lol, a nice play of words you have there. ;P

“Well, you are one,” said Oliver indignantly, “You trust her more than you trust me.”

“Hey, both kids have been quiet for a while now,” said one of the captors suddenly.

“Yeah, that was really pathetic,” said the fourth voice. She was the one whose wings would stop making vibrating noises whenever she spoke.

“Looks like your friend got blown to smithereens, sheriff,” Roserade smirked, as the sheriff kneeled on the ground, staring at the smoke in disbelief. The Mafia Angels members all went closer to see the crestfallen Lucario who had started making sobbing noises like his daughter had done.(?)

There was a sigh of relief when he felt the weight was removed from his body, enabling him to breathe and move again. Coughing, the sheriff got up with difficulty, his back stung like a sunburn and his head felt like it was on an out-of-control rollercoaster.

“Swift!” the sheriff could not help but feeling a sense of joy, though the distraction had resulted him being hit by Roserade’s Magical Leaf.

“Why, I praise all your fighting spirits very much,” said Roserade gleefully, as Lucario stood his ground, a mixture of hate and fear upon his face, “Any of you make one more move, and Beedrill here can drop her and let her get fried by our Luxio friends here.”

If you notice, this post I made is a lot shorter this time than my other ones. Good job! =D

Piplup-Luv

Piplups Are Awesome
This is a very amazing fic. I love the story so far.

Nice twist with havimg the Luxray an Luxio tribe evil in this chapter.

If there's a PM list i'd like to be on it.

sweet_piplup123

I lost the game?!?!
Ayyyyyee!

...sorry, I'm just so inactive with everything lately. >___<

To Chimpchar and Snostar: I am continuing the story. Unfortunately I've got a state-wide exam coming up in which I had to study realllly hard for... on top of that I've been turning into a goddamn perfectionist lately, a good chapter takes around 3 - 6 months for me to write... >_<

To FPE: Oh my god, it's shorter?! ...well, I guess you should thank Brumrha for that... as for Team Gemstar... sorry, I'm sticking with the trio, but Leo does get a role in the future chapters, don't worry.

To Piplup-Luv: omg you're on sppf! *hugs* Thanks for the praise. I'm glad you like the Luxio/Luxray appearance. I'll add you on the PM list as soon as I can.

Kindrindra

大事なのは自分らしいくある事
Hiya.
Sorry about not seeing this earlier- I had a large period where I wasn't able to read any fan fics. In fact, for a time, I couldn't get on Serebii at all.

Nice job with this chapter- You introduced a lot of interesting new personalities. I particularly like Leo's 'protect the innocent' complex. Can't wait for the next chapter. ^_^

sweet_piplup123

I lost the game?!?!
Wow, really late update...

First of all, I would like to apologise for been away for soooooo long. I don't know what got into me - lately school, life and everything have been piling up... meeting everyone's expectations wasn't easy - I've already got into trouble for barely passing extension maths and I just had really bad times dealing with... stuff. As for any moderators reading this: yes, I'm still writing this fanfiction and I intend to continue it in the future.

But enough with the doom and glooms- chapter 15 is complete... almost. I said almost because I haven't had anyone to beta read it yet.

Chapter 15 is probably the longest, and the hardest chapter I've ever written because it's a rather large battle - I had to take as much as I could into account while writing it. Hopefully, when I post it up soon, everyone will enjoy it.

~sweet_piplup123 ;393;

EDIT: Done. Huge credit to FocusPresenceEndurance for correcting the mistakes! (because there were a lot of them... OTL.)

Also, separating this chapter into two posts because it's too long to fit into one...

Chapter 15--Survival

Plain Seeds – the remnant of a Reviver Seed, it is milky white in appearance. When thrown it releases a harmless white power, but other than that it has no combat uses. The seed can be consumed and is reported to have a rather salty flavour.

Poképedia Section 3: Items​

It was a normal day, the sun was out, but most of its intensity was hidden behind the clouds. Not too hot and not too chilly, the weather was just the way she liked it.

Rosa was walking through the town, a bunch of fresh, yellow chrysanthemums cradled close to her chest. Each flower was the size of a small apple, and when bunched up together they resembled the golden sun. They were courtesy of shopkeeper Kangaskhan who sought family values strongly.

“It’s nice you’re thinking of your parents, dear,” she had said with a smile on her face, “I’m sure they’ll love this bunch of flowers.”

And why wouldn’t Rosa think about her parents? Holly and Michael had been away from the town to engage in their police duties as usual, and one such trip could take weeks or even months. Sometimes she would see other children with their parents, and feel a pang of loneliness and envy. Rosa was jealous at how other children her age were spending more time with her parents more than she did. She felt sad whenever she made a piece of artwork, only to know her parents wouldn't be there to see it—and art made with natural materials like leaves and sticks don’t last very long.

Sure, her grandmother is a nice lady and loved her, but Emily fussed about everything from neatness to manners and table etiquette, which made her sound old-fashioned and boring. Definitely not fun.

Most times, when Holly and Michael returned home, they would have some part of their bodies covered in ointments or bandages. Michael would often joke about Rosa being their nurse as she carried out the medicine kit for them, while Holly told her stories of their travels. Occasionally, they would show her interesting items they’ve found.

These family times together were uncommon, and Rosa always made the most of it.

Yesterday, Emily had received a letter from Holly and Michael, saying they’re almost near the end of their mission and would be returning as early as midday, if not late in the afternoon. When Rosa was told the news, she decided to greet them with something special—after all, this had been the longest time they’ve spent away from her.

“Miss Kangaskhan is right, Mum would love these!” she said to herself, taking in the sights of the flowers, “These are her favourite flowers!”

She had been heading towards the police station when she heard the crowds muttering all around her. As a youngster with great amount of curiosity, Rosa waddled over to see what the commotion was about.

“Yikes! I wonder who’s underneath the covers...”

“Tell me about it! There’s blood all over the white sheets! Poor them...”

Looking to the front, a group of officers were walking by, two stretchers with white sheets covering their occupants. Though, they couldn't really be called white sheets anymore—they were stained in a red substance otherwise known as blood. The officers all had their heads bowed in grievance; some had tears streaking across their face, some were putting on an unconvincing brave face, and some were trembling in anguish.

It was funeral march, in its most graphic form. Rosa clutched her bunch of chrysanthemums, scared. Although she was used to seeing wounds and blood, this was definitely the most she saw in her life.

Feeling slightly dizzy, Rosa leant against a tree for support as a Blastoise beside her spoke up, “Man oh man, my heart goes out to these officers. They’re going to be in for a very hard time!”

The little Piplup glanced up at him.

“Kid, go somewhere else to play,” he said, shaking his head, “This is too scary for you.”

“I’m not scared,” Rosa replied in an innocent voice.

She glanced around at the grieving adults. Suddenly, she remembered the time when she attended a funeral with her family, where everyone was offering condolences and hugging each other and crying. It was also the day she learned that adults do get sad like children. Near the end of the service, Emily had taught her to say something to the host, in which she got a smile in return.

Hey, I should say those words, maybe it can make them feel a bit better, she thought, smiling at her own ingenuous idea. Everybody looks so sad.

She walked up to the mourning parade slowly, bowing her head in respect. This made all the officers stop and look at her as if she was about to attempt something dangerous; some almost dropped the stretcher in surprise. The spectators around continued watching the scene; many were surprised at how a child was not horrified by this tragedy unfolding in front of her. Some wondered if the little Piplup was being rude.

But surprisingly, no one stopped her.

“I’m sorry for your loss,” Rosa said, ignoring the reception she was getting, “I may not know your friends well but they will be missed very much.”

The leader, a red lizard-dragon with dark green wings, was speechless. While he appreciated what Rosa had said, Officer Charlie felt himself stuck in an awkward situation. He turned to his colleagues for advice but they all seemed to be interested in whatever was next to their feet. Great, thanks a lot. What the hell is he supposed to say? Should he tell her the truth now or wait until she finds out from her grandmother? Both options seemed harsh.

Exhaling a deep breath, the Charizard kneeled down and started, “Rosa, thank you for your words, but you shouldn’t be here right now—”

His words were interrupted by a yell of shock—a strong breeze has picked up and the officers all scrambled around to keep the dead bodies undercover. But it was too late for them now: a navy-blue flipper was revealed by the wind, and it has caught the attention of Rosa.

It wasn’t just any flipper, too. There was a flash of gold on it. Gold like the letters on a leather-bound book, the chains on a necklace, the wrapping papers on a Christmas present...

Or, the chrysanthemum tattoo on Holly’s body.

**********​

She was only seven years old then, but she can never forget that day.

Rosa shut her eyes and leaned against a boulder to rest, her eyes were swimming, she was breathing unevenly and she could feel the tip of her flippers becoming sore from holding a piece of rock. Ever since the topic of Mafia Angels was brought up, the events on that day has been playing in her mind non-stop.

It was a grey and desolate place, this rocky terrain. The only interesting colour around was that of long, mustard-coloured grass pushing their way from underneath a boulder. On rare occasions, a Pokémon might wander past and add their colours to the monotonous environment. Most times it would be someone from the Luxray family, or a flash of white wool from a Mareep.

Today, there was a blue penguin was on scene.

She had been through a lot in the last few hours. For one, there was the discovery that history is about to be repeated again, but this time, two families’ lives are about to be destroyed.

This cannot happen again, she thought. If the girls ended up the same way as what happened to my parents...

A lightning flashed overhead, causing Rosa to duck down in an impulse.

Damn it! Not now, Rosa! She threw away the rock angrily as the thunder faded into the distance. You can’t be scared of stupid lightning strikes, or else you’ll never beat those dastardly murderers!

She squatted down, taking off the small bag she’d been carrying ever since she walked away from her teammates. The contents were still in order: there were seeds and berries, all mixed together like a multi-coloured snack. Then there were the large objects: an apple, a blue glittery globe, what looked like a small ball of lead, and a mound of Gravellerrock.

“Oh, thank goodness it’s still here,” Rosa sighed with relief. She was about to close her bag when something caught her eyes—shoved in the bottom of the bag, the purple gem on her explorer’s badge glinted, as if it’s trying to remind her of something.

Of course, she had no idea of Jenny and Oliver’s welfare, a sense of guilt and regret started creeping in as Rosa fondled with the badge. She knew both of them would object to her plans. Oliver definitely wouldn't want to be involved in further scrutiny after the scale incident, and Jenny just wanted to do her job as the ‘responsible’ leader.

Quit thinking about them already, they’ll be okay with their bag of supplies, and you did tell them what you’re going to do so it’s not like they’re being kept in the dark. They’ll never understand what is like to lose your parents in the hands of criminals. On top of that, those murderers are still running wild, ruining other families’ lives! She closed her bag hurriedly as the sound of thunder rolled into the distance.

They need to be brought to justice. She thought, and I’m going to help the police officers! After all... she reached down into the bag and slowly polished on one of the objects, I have a secret weapon.

Meanwhile, hundreds of metres away, a ravine stood in the way, its rocks made to look more sinister as their colours were slightly darker than the terrain from previous areas. This continues for another hundred metres before a dead end, which looked like the backdrop of an outdoor theatre—a semi-circle of dry ground with few boulders, surrounded by cliff faces that were tall enough for rock-climbing enthusiasts, but in comparison to the cliff at Treasure Town, it was only half of its size.

The cliff had a few advantages. At first glance it seemed like nothing special, but for the agile climbers able to find their footing on the surface, there were several small caves hidden from view. Once they were up, the observers could study all that was underneath them and even see their neighbours.

It was the perfect place for an ambush.

Down at the centre of the stage, the Roserade was standing in the spotlight, her head held high like a ballerina as she viewed her servants—the Luxio and their leader, Luxray. Hovering beside her, like a butler, was Beedrill. In her pincers held Penny, unconscious and vulnerable.

A few metres away, Lucario stood his ground, his paw clutched into a fist. Normally he was good when it came to dealing with pressure—the skill which had him elected as the sheriff in the first place, but there were rare moments in his life where he would be completely clueless about what to do.

Unfortunately, this is one of them.

Initially, the sheriff was planning to grab hold of the unconscious Houndoom and have a ‘trade-off’ with Poison Thorn, but that was proven impossible as Azumarill had carted him off behind Roserade’s boulder. He was just thankful the black canine was out cold without Reviver Seeds nearby.

Then he thought about a distraction by hurling his homemade smoke bomb, but that wouldn’t be much good either—there would be little visibility, and what would happen if the Luxio panicked and Beedrill dropped Penny? She could be trampled to death!

Though if I try Extremespeed and get to Beedrill just in time to catch Penny... but there’s a big chance it could fail... no, what else can I do?

“L-let her go, you ugly-looking piece of crap!”

“Kath!” Officer Swampert was rocked by his own daughter’s voice. What on earth was she doing? He thought.

“You better let Penny go now...” the little Mudkip yelled, pointing her front limb defiantly at the outlaws in front of her, “or... or I’ll water bomb you until you choke and die!”

“Katherine, Shut up!”

“But Dad...!”

“What part of ‘shut up’ don’t you understand?” growled Swampert.

Katherine flinched; she rarely hear her Dad sound so angry, the last time the officer had shouted to her like this was when she made fun of her grandparents. Maybe it was because I used the ‘c’ word... she thought. Uh oh, I knew I shouldn’t have eavesdropped on Houndoom and Roserade.

A few seconds later she muttered, “I’m sorry, Dad.”

The officer nudged her feet lightly. He felt her frustration as well, but training had taught him to stay quiet and show no sign of anything that could be advantageous for the opponent. He now regretted shouting at his daughter. In that moment, he forgot that Katherine was not an officer like him, but merely a child who feared for her friend’s safety.

“Dad... sorry about the yelling,” Katherine repeated in a louder voice, unsure if the officer had heard her apology.

“Yes, better listen to your daddy, you naughty girl,” Beedrill taunted, tutting like a teacher punishing her students, “He’ll get very mad so don’t you do it again, young lady!”

Katherine gave the bee a look of dislike while the outlaws laughed, with the exception of Roserade who believed she was too superior to join along. Instead, she faced the sheriff, asking, “I’ll offer you a deal, if you accept, I'm sure we’ll both be happy. How about it?”

“What deal would that be?” he said firmly.

“We’ll give you twelve more hours—no more, no less, for you to bring us Dragonair and Golem again.”

“I’ve already told you, you’re asking the impossible,” the sheriff said, frowning, “Those two threatened suicide if I bring them.”

“Come on, you’re a smart sheriff,” Roserade was smirking, “Surely you can constrain them you could stop them from doing so.”

“We tried that, alright,” Officer Swampert rebutted, “One of the officers is in the critical ward because of it.”

“Then I’m afraid you leave me no choice,” Roserade was pursing her lips in dismay. She flourished her arm, “Azui, grab that Mudkip. If this Riolu is going to die then we might send her friend along as well.”

“You—! Penny!”

The scene erupted into chaos; Azumarill made a leap at Officer Swampert, who stepped back into a cliff wall and almost squished Katherine. The little Mudkip hung onto her father, afraid she might lose him if she fell. Meanwhile Beedrill had flung Penny into the air, and the Luxio sprang into action below like a bunch of cannibals. There was a great big shout of “no!” from Lucario, jumping up to catch his daughter before disappearing into a mass of blue and black.

Bolts of electricity began to flash around.

“Sir!”

But before Swift could react, Azumarill delivered a blow to his stomach. The officer fell to his knees, howling in pain while his daughter begged him to get up. Katherine was scared out of her wits as the blue bunny made a grab at her, trying to pull her off the officer’s neck.

“Get off him, brat!”

“Ahh! Let me go!” Katherine held on firmer, while trying to land a kick at Azui’s face.

“Leave Kath alone!” the officer wanted to get up, unfortunately he found it rather difficult. He swiped his arm out to hit him, but Azui dodged it just in time before stomping on the arm.

Swift let loose a four letter word.

“Dad! Are you alright?!”

“Shut up! Nobody told you to talk!”

“Water pulse!”

The attack came as a distraction as Azumarill released his grip on Katherine. Dazed, the Mudkip searched from her vantage point for her rescuer, but could see no one.

“Hey, thanks a lot for that, Kath,” Officer Swampert gabbled, patting her on the back.

“Dad... I didn’t do that.”

“What do you mean?”

A Blast Seed flew out of nowhere and hit Azumarill, sending him scrambling around as he looked for ways to extinguish the fire on his tail. The comedic move was enough to make Katherine stifle for a giggle.

“Azui!” Beedrill yelled, turning her attention from the group of Luxio, “Stop, drop and roll now!”

The Azumarill did just that—but the effort had left him gasping for air as his heart pounded from the exertion, while smoke wafted from underneath him. Sure, a water type like him shouldn’t worry too much about fire, but he did not like surprises, especially not one which could set his tail alight.

“Are you okay?”

But instead of replying, the Azumarill was looking around frantically, “Who else is there?” he yelled in a coarse voice.

Suddenly everyone stopped as this new piece of information came to light. Roserade turned to the father-daughter duo in curiosity.

“There are more of you?” she questioned.

“Don’t look at me!” Officer Swampert held up his good arm, “I know nothing!”

“No, he’s right, Roserade,” leader Luxray opened his mouth. Speaking in a surprisingly charismatic voice, he added, “We can see someone else here, can’t we, boys?”

One of the Luxio stepped out, “That’s right, boss!” he said.

“Yeah, trying to attack from a hiding place, are you?” said Luxray, “That’s cute. But you can’t escape our x-ray visions, any sneak attack you’re trying to do is futile,” he gave a light chuckle before continuing, “So be a good child and come here.”

There was no reply.

“I said show yourself!” Luxray yelled louder, his tail was turning into lustrous grey, readying for Iron Tail. Behind the boulder, the nervous Piplup was fondling with a small black ball, the soot covering the ball was beginning to dirty her flippers. It was a smoke bomb, like the one Lucario had, though its power was only good to prank a group of friends. Rosa had originally won this at a carnival stand, and was planning to get rid of it... she never thought this prank device would be useful at all, until today. But she had to act quickly – who knew how long the effect would last?

Taking a deep breath, Rosa held the smoke bomb tightly as she got ready to jump out and smack the thing into the hard ground...

A tinkle and crash rang out across the alcove.

“What the hell?” Azumarill swore, turning around in alarm and accidentally smacking his arm at Luxray.

“Hey, careful where you put your arm!” pouted the leader. Meanwhile, everybody looked up from their spot, but there was no sign of the intruders.

Then...

“Hiya!”

Having no idea of what just happened, Rosa leaped out from her hiding spot. The only one who managed to catch a glimpse of her was Luxray, but for everyone else, it was the sound of firecrackers and clouds of black smoke which greeted them.

Five seconds. This was all it took for the prank device to throw everyone into a mass of confusion as some ran into others trying to get out, causing unpleasant pains on their forehead. But most managed to escape the smoke, and were now busy brushing soot out of their face while catching a breath of glorious fresh air.

In amongst the escapees, Officer Swampert shoved someone roughly to the side and made a dash into the smoke, barging any oncoming enemies out of his way as he searched for his superior. Katherine, half-blinded, was clinging to her father like superglue as she bellowed out a war cry to help his father scare off his opponents. They ran past Rosa, who took a swipe at the nearest Pokémon next to her before being knocked over accidentally by Azumarill.

Roserade was busy cleaning her dirtied complexion when someone bumped into her. In an instinct, she took hold of a soft cloth and heard a yell.

“Ah! Are you trying to strangle me?”

It was a new voice, but somehow it sounded familiar to her.... no, she was imagining it. It was only a new enemy... and a young one at that... Swiftly, she brushed away the last of the soot and wrapped her arms around her new hostage, hearing the loud protests as they struggled in her hold.

“Hey, let go!”

“Be quiet, kid,” she whispered in his ear, “I’ve got a Poison Jab pointing at the side of your face and I’m not afraid to use it.”

She was greeted by a pair of yellow eyes, wide open in horror. The Treecko knew too well what poison could do to his body, even with protective garments on. He didn’t care if the girls might tease him for whimpering like a little kid—the purple energy was so close to the side of his head, and he was scared.

He tried to distract himself from looking at Roserade’s yellow collar instead, focusing on an acorn-shaped mark imprinted on it.

“Oliver! You idiot, get away from that woman!”

Leo stood a few feet away, his face riddled with concern. Roserade ignored him, thinking he was just another one of Luxray’s pal. How wrong she was when the Luxio took a run and headbutted her to the ground.

Oliver quickly crawled out of her grip, “Thanks, Leo,” he muttered.

“I warned you to be careful, gecko!” Leo rattled on, “She’s one mean bit—ah!”

Luxray had a sharp claw raised near his head, smirking. Three scratches were left on Leo’s left cheek as he turned to face his ex-leader.

“Oh look who’s here, everyone,” Luxray snorted, “It’s the traitor.”

Oliver had his back against Leo. “S***, what now?!” he hissed, ignoring the jeers coming from Luxray’s henchmen.

“Look, I’m not here to fight, alright?” Leo announced loudly, while tending his wound with a paw, “We’re NOT fighting.”

“Says you, traitor,” one of the Luxio piped up, “You attacked Lady Roserade.”

“Dude, shut up for a second will ya? All I’m doing is escorting this guy here and a Torchic to their teammate...” he looked around and pointed to a Luxio with a star-shaped mark on his cheek, “Speaking of which, why don’t you let that Piplup go for forefather’s sake, we’re getting her and then you can carry on with your jobs.”

Rosa groaned as an unfriendly nudge send her stumbling towards Oliver.

“You’re so dead after this,” the Treecko spat.

“I told you not to come!” she whispered back, “And where’s Jenny?”

“And what are you two muttering about?” Roserade marched up to the two. Oliver reeled back in fear but Rosa stayed put, her eyes filled with hatred.

“It’s been six years,” she uttered.

“What? Speak up!”

“I said it’s been six years!” Rosa raised her voice angrily, walking around and facing everyone, “Six years ever since you took away my parents’ life, bastards!”

Leo stepped in, “Hey come on, not now...”

“Don’t tell me what to do!” she shouted in the poor Luxio’s face, “You don’t know what is like to have your parents murdered! And you!” she pointed to Beedrill, “Do you know what is like to see their dead bodies, with blood staining the cloth covering them? I was only seven! I couldn’t think about Mum and Dad without remembering the dead bodies lying on the stretchers! I couldn’t talk about them to my grandmother without her throwing a fit at me for mentioning them!” Rosa was panting now, “and now I could barely remember their faces, or the happier times we spent together...”

“Calm down—” Oliver extended a hand to intervene, but Leo held out his paw at him, tossing him a glance that said ‘not now!’

“And now... now you’re about to ruin their lives!” Rosa continued on as Roserade pursed her lips in annoyance, “I won’t allow it, I just won’t! No one should go through those horrible times, no one!”

“Rosa...” Officer Swampert breathed. His left shoulder was supporting a badly-beaten Lucario while his right arm was holding Penny clumsily, unconscious but without visible injuries. Katherine had come off her father’s back and was standing close to him.

The father-daughter duo was bewildered by the Piplup’s outburst. Swampert was suddenly reminded of the time he tried to console Rosa at the waiting room of the police station, as Emily did the paperwork. Katherine remembered the time when Treasure Town held a family fun day, and as she prepared to go in a swimming contest with her Dad. She saw the Piplup was sitting forlornly on the sideline.

Now I know why she was so gloomy that day, she thought.

Lucario slowly raised his head, revealing a large bruise on his left eye and a streak of blood running down the right side of his chin. He wanted to say something, but the only sound which came out was a bunch of wheezing noise.

This is bad... we have to get all the children out of this place! He thought.

Meanwhile, Beedrill approached Rosa, rolling her eyes.

“Are you done yet, Piplup?” she scoffed, “I’ve never even heard of your parents! Don’t accuse me for something I didn’t do.”

“Beedrill, get back here,” said Roserade warningly, she then turned to Rosa and added, “Frankly, I knew little about what had happened, but your parents probably deserved it for messing with us—”

She was hit by a spray of bubbles.

“You’re going to pay for this!”

“Rosa!”

“Oh hell no, Piplup!” Leo stamped his paw in frustration.

But Leo’s complaint went unheard, as Rosa took a dive at Poison Thorn and pecked her in the stomach. Caught completely off guard, Roserade let out a squeal as Beedrill buzzed around the two frantically.

“Get her!”

“Will do, lady!”

A few Luxio nearby fired away their Thunderbolt, but none seemed to be able to hit their target as Rosa slammed her flipper at Roserade repeatedly, shouting obscenities Emily would never dreamt of hearing from her granddaughter. But Roserade—the proud and elegant Poison Thorn—wasn’t about to let herself to be beaten by a crazy water penguin. Already a green ball of energy was forming at her red rose as she leant against the cliff wall.

“Energy B—”

“Incoming!”

“What the—!” seeking the source of the cry, Roserade looked up and saw a flash of orange, before the full weight of a Torchic came down upon her head and sent her Energy Ball ricocheting to another direction.

Swift complained loudly as he was hit on the leg, his daughter followed the lead with a series of groans—she had tumbled off her father’s back.

“The prisoners! They’re escaping!” Azumarill shouted in a shilling voice.

Much to Jenny’s displeasure, her surprise attack did not knock out Roserade, but it did send the Pokémon into a confused state as she stumbled in a way that was very unlike her normal self, and almost colliding into the cliff wall.

“Jenny! Where did you... how...?”

“Do you honestly think a note is going to stop me from coming?” said the leader of Team Gemstar. She gave Rosa a stern look, “Especially after what you did to us.”

“But—”

A shower of needles began raining down upon the two girls.

“Take cover!” Rosa shouted.

“Yikes! What now?” Jenny scrambled around, running away but ending up barging into three Luxio.

“Ow...”

“Well, well, well... look what’s on the menu tonight,” one of them smirked, while another stomped on Jenny’s leg, hard enough to get a tortured scream out of her. There were satisfied grins all around as their body began to flash off many small bolts of static electricity, ready to fry her into pieces...

“Oi!”

Two of them turned around and had their faces slapped by Leo’s Iron Tail, but that did not stop the third Luxio from firing his Thunderbolt at Jenny. It was one of the worst feeling ever—the Torchic was immobile in the middle, surrounded by yellow lights which were feeding a substantial amount of voltage into her. All she could hear was the loud cracking sound of electricity as it inflicted excruciating pain through her body.

But she could've considered herself lucky—if Leo didn’t step in she would be knocking on heaven’s door by then.

While Jenny, Rosa and Leo were dealing with one group, Officer Swampert was stuck in one of his biggest dilemma ever. He was surrounded by Luxray’s mob and Azumarill; the only help he has were his daughter, and this infamous scale-stealing Treecko he’s been hearing around town.

On top of that, he had two casualties to protect, and the pressure was slowing getting the better of him.

“Damn it, what are we supposed to do?” said Oliver through clenched teeth.

“Hey, you’re the expert here, Treecko,” Katherine replied.

Oliver was baffled, “Thanks... hang on, how am I the expert?”

“Well, thieves are supposed to be cunning, aren’t they?!” she demanded.

“How about shutting your big fat mouth and do something useful?” he said, offended by her statement.

“How about you do something useful as well, idiot?” the Mudkip retorted.

“Just who are you calling an idiot—!”

“Hey! Knock it off, the both of you!” Officer Swampert intervened. Great, if Kath can’t cooperate with this boy then what the hell am I supposed to do? Would be great if I could knock these outlaws out with Earthquake... but I haven’t learnt to control that move! What if I end up killing the children? And my leg! Ah, damn you, lady.

Then he spotted something in Oliver’s possession.

Maybe...

He felt a tug at his shoulder. Whirling around, Luxray was trying to bite on the sheriff’s leg so he could drag him away. Lucario tried to kick him in the face, but as a result of weakness from his injuries, he was swinging his leg back and forth instead. In a state of panic Swampert quickly flicked a Mud Bomb, sending a snarling Luxray scrambling back to his position.

Close call, Swift... he thought.

The enemies were only holding back because he had a type advantage towards most of them, but sooner or later, he would run out of ammo.

There was no time to waste.

“Treecko!” he hissed under his breath, “Do you have any Oran Berries?”

Oliver nodded, holding up his left arm.

“Just one?” he asked, in which he got a nod in return, “Anything else?”

The Treecko shrugged. He wasn’t sure.

“Right...”

“And what are you two doing?” Azumarill interrupted. He would’ve loved to jump in and beat up whoever he could get his hands on, but twice now he had been kept at bay by Oliver’s Bullet Seed—though not strong enough to knock him out, being hit is like getting stings from a nest full of young Beedrill, leaving him with a prickling sensation on his skin.

“Why do you care?” Officer Swampert raised his eyebrow, staring straight at him, “I’m planning on domination of Treasure Town with him, nothing wrong with that, right?”

Azumarill snorted, “You’re nuts.”

“Hey, it’s not unreasonable,” the officer continued on, “This Treecko and I are public enemy number ones in our area, just ask around! Treasure Town sucks!”

Katherine gave her father a bewildered look. Huh?

“And how are the two of you supposed to do that?” Azui tapped his feet in impatience.

“Well, you’ve got this great tribe under your control, and the leaders are ace in battling, I thought maybe Treecko and I might join you!”

Katherine reacted by falling over. Oliver almost choked on his saliva.

“Wait, what?!” he spluttered, “I didn’t—”

“Come off it, you delinquent!” he said stridently, stepping in front of him so he was shielded from the enemies, “That Mister Gabite will never forgive you for stealing his precious scale. He only showed mercy for publicity, you know.”

The Treecko was outraged, alright. It was bad enough knowing he was one of the most unpopular Pokémon in town, but to have a police officer advertising his faults so blatantly in front of a bunch of strangers...!

But then he saw Swampert’s large paw making small gestures at him.

Oh.

“Huh, that boy could do the job of scouting food for us,” said Azumarill, “But you don’t have a legit reason for joining us.”

“Oh really now,” Swift turned his head to his semi-conscious superior, “Look at you Lucario, I’m so much better so why wasn’t I voted as the sheriff many years ago? Humph!” with a grunt he shoved the sheriff to the ground, “You bribed your way to the position didn’t you? You dirty, cheating...”

He gave Lucario a kick, watching with satisfaction as the poor sheriff moaned in pain.

“Oh boo hoo, you think this hurts, yeah? Well why don’t you fight back huh? Oh but nooo, your precious daughter is in my hands, so why don’t you watch her die first? Ha!”

He flashed Lucario a creepy smile.

Katherine was shocked at his demonic transformation, “Dad!” she tugged at him, “Why—”

“And you little brat!” the officer was yelling now, shoving his daughter roughly to the side, “You’re so annoying! I don’t even know why the hell I bothered raising you! I should’ve just left you in the wild, all on your own!”

“Dad!”

“Get lost! I’m not your father anymore!”

Katherine was on the verge of bursting into tears, much to Azumarill’s delight. She could not understand – what has got into him? Why is he being so mean? She tried searching for answers on the officer’s face, but he turned away from her.

“Gee, Mudkip,” the blue bunny said sarcastically, “You should choose a better parent next time.”

“Humph, don’t feel sorry for that brat,” Officer Swampert scoffed, “She’s nothing but a load of trouble.”

“So what’s next?” he called out.

“Treecko!” Swift barked, as if Oliver was his slave, “Empty the content of your bag to my good buddy Azumarill over there, and make it snappy!”

Oliver was shocked, even more than when the officer shouted his daughter. There was no telling what Officer Swampert was going to do with his ‘plans’. After all, this was the team’s treasure bag and not his. Jenny and Oliver’s badges were both in it, plus some stuff they’ve painstakingly collected to help them with exploration...

He glanced to his right, at the other battle on the far side of this large alcove. The other three were holding on with two of Luxray’s pals down and out, but Leo was starting to show signs of fatigue as he tries to shoot a hyperventilating Beedrill down unsuccessfully. The two girls were taking on Roserade, and both seemingly able to bring down Poison Thorn with a few of their double-Peck combinations. Problem was there seemed to be little cooperation between the two, and this Luxio with a star-shaped mark on his cheek was intercepting the girls’ attacks. Things were not looking good.

A voice brought his attention back.

“Boy! Did you or did you not hear my instruction? I said give it to him!”

“Sir...”

“Just do it!” Officer Swampert yelled in his face.

Urgh. I hope you know what you’re doing, you crazy bastard. He thought as he walked over to Azumarill. Azui was waiting for him, flashing his front teeth as if to show him who’s the boss.

I can’t believe I’m actually doing this!

Unwillingly, Oliver tipped out whatever was in Team Gemstar’s bag, which consisted of two badges, a small bag of coins, four berries, three Big Apples (two of them slightly bruised and one had a bite-mark on it), a crumbled piece of paper, an Escape Orb and four seeds.

He shook the bag some more and an empty bottle of Max Elixir fell out.

Huh, I thought we had more than this pile of junk. That smart little traitor...

“Wow, for an exploration team, you guys are poor,” commented Azumarill, plodding at the half-eaten apple, “No wonder you’re considering to join us.”

Well, blame Rosa for it. Oliver thought to himself. She took all our good stuff.

“Yeah whatever,” Swift drawled on, “Now hand me the empty bag.”

“Um, may I ask what is it for?” Oliver said tentatively.

“Well, Treecko, see this Riolu here?” he made a gesture, “I’m going to make him watch his daughter being strangled to death...”

“What?!”

“...and your bag strap is perfect for this!”

“No!” Katherine shrieked in horror, clinging onto Swampert’s injured leg, “Penny is my friend!”

“Well, go get yourself a new friend then!” he yelled.

“You shall do no such thing,” said a new voice.

“What the—” Luxray scanned around, expecting a newcomer. But what he saw next greatly surprised him: Sheriff Lucario, though his stance is still a bit wobbly, had gotten up on his feet without any help.

Katherine was amazed, “You—him—!”

“Nice bit of –cough- acting there, Swift,” Lucario said in a hoarse voice, “Thanks for the Oran Berry.”

Swampert gave his superior a grin, “No problems. And err Kath...” he turned to her, “Can you please get off my leg?”

Acting?!

“Dad!” the little Mudkip hit her father fiercely on the leg, much to his annoyance, “That wasn’t funny!”

“I’m sorry, Kath! Please get off, I mean it!”

Luxray and Azumarill didn’t think it was funny either.

“Get them!” they shouted unanimously.

“Everybody watch out!” Oliver yelled, pulling Katherine away as Luxray slammed his tail down. They dodged a bullet, but Luxray just kept on coming and the Treecko found himself using all his strength to drag Katherine out of harm’s way.

Lucky for them, the sheriff’s Wide Slash came fast enough to send Luxray and Azumarill back to their spot.

“Leave them alone!”

Azumarill roared at Lucario in rage.

“Oh sugars,” Oliver cursed, “Bullet Seed!”

“We have to get out of here!” said Katherine, watching as her father take out a Luxio with his Mud Bomb.

“How are we going to do that?” was the reply from Oliver, before getting his face smacked by a water sphere, “Ah!”

The same question lingered on Jenny and Rosa’s mind as a Thunderbolt struck on the ground between them.

“Magical Leaf!”

“Ember!”

This is so annoying! The Torchic wished she could use her fire to get at Roserade instead of cancelling out her attacks, but hard as she tried, her Ember never seemed to shoot far enough.

A tail caught Jenny’s feet and she fell over in surprise. There was no time to recover as a flash of silver connected with her cheek, sending her bouncing painfully along the ground.

Jenny reacted violently as soon as her dizziness settled, letting a stream of ember out from her beak. This was followed by an angry grunt as she discovered she had missed.

That Luxio and his interventions... urgh!

He had gotten into Jenny’s hair, and digging deep into it. It was bad enough his attack had paralysed her once, and to have that move almost hitting her again... hell, she couldn’t risk having to lie on the ground again, conscious but helpless; or getting fried by a strong burst of his electricity and have her life cut short.

She heard a scream.

“Rosa...?”

Poison Thorn was looming over her best friend, who was sprawled on the ground, awake yet unable to get up. To her horror, vines were starting to sprout up around the Piplup, snaking over her body and fast enveloping her into a mass of tangled nightmare.

You idiot, Rosa! Why on earth...

She glanced at the Luxio; he had retreated from her ember scare but was now coming back. The star-shaped mark on his cheek expanded and contracted in a fast, rhythmic way.

Leo was too far to reach her. She was the only one who could make it.

Go, go, go!

Quickly, she jumped up and started running in a zigzag formation. Luxio followed suit; he wasn’t going to let her get away, not after all the work he has done trying to protect his ‘Lady Roserade’. As sparks and flew around Jenny, she stared down the front and didn’t look back—in fact, she told herself not to.

Focus on the objective, get to Rosa, she’s in danger...

She betrayed you, though... another voice loomed.

Jenny squeezed her eyes shut.

But she’s is in danger!

“Ember!”

It was like she was back on the beach again, fighting Mister Gabite. She was giving it her all, focusing her energy at the attack and belting out whatever she had at the Roserade. She knew her throat is likely to be damaged again like last time, but if she wanted to defeat Poison Thorn, small bursts of fire just wouldn’t do—the outlaw would’ve trained herself to resist the weaknesses and brush off her previous attempts like an annoying bug on her shoulder.

Jenny could feel the pain stabbing inside her neck like needles, but she kept going. She had to—after all, her opponent made a living from kidnapping and murdering others!

Luckily for her, it was working. The flames licked at Poison Thorn’s skin and one of her roses had already caught alight. Roserade writhed in agony, trying to extinguish the fire and overcoming the burns on her arms and legs, but it was too much, her physique simply could not cope with this much fire power. She screamed for help. She was bellowing at anyone who could help her: but the Luxio with star mark did not appear, and Beedrill seemed too caught up in her own dilemma.

Soon the yelling got softer and softer, until it was no more than a moan.

By the time Azumarill doused off the fire, it was too late. The Roserade was on her back, half of her red rose reduced to ashes, there were grey marks all over her limbs and her face was covered in soot.

Leo’s eyes were goggling with amazement, “Wow,” he muttered.

“Ummph...”

“Dude, stay still, will ya?” he nagged, sensing the other Luxio squirming underneath him. Leo had seen his ex-comrade going after the Torchic, and left his hyperactive opponent to help. Somehow, Leo had managed to hold on by throwing his front body weight on the other Luxio’s body, while having one of his rear limbs stomping down on the star-shaped tail.

“I will, if you would kindly get off me, Leo.”

“Uh-uh, no way, Anthony,” said Leo, mimicking the way Luxio had spoken his name, “You’re not hurting that cute lady over there.”

“Well she attacked another lady—”

“Um, no Tony, that Roserade is a witch. Ladies don’t kill.”

(continue into next post)

Last edited:

sweet_piplup123

I lost the game?!?!
(continued)

Several feet away, Jenny was frantically tearing off the vines off.

“Rosa! Gee, are you okay?”

“Not... really,” Rosa replied, “I...” she tried to sit up but it proved to be a challenge.

“Oh, come on, I’ll find you something...” said Jenny huskily, she was about to reach for Rosa’s bag when a rough shove pushed her to the side.

It was Azumarill.

“Hey!”

“You think you’re tough for taking down Roserade?” he said angrily, “Well, if you want to play the advantage game, so be it!”

With that said, he smashed down a Water Pulse attack at her, then again and again when he saw her trying to run away. Azumarill wasn’t about to give her any chances to live, let alone a chance for a fight back.

“And this last one for good measure!”

“No!”

A small, brown rock was hurled at Azumarill’s head, then several more, which landed on the ground near him. Weak but not out, Rosa was flinging her Gravellerrocks to distract him.

“Get... away!”

One of the rocks bounced off his forehead as he whirled around.

“Beedrill, get that Piplup!”

“But A-A-Azui!” the bee was still in her panic mode.

“There!” he said, throwing a water sphere at her, “That’ll knock some sense into you, now go!”

“Don’t you frigging dare, mate!” Leo bellowed, “The both of you!”

“Shut up, you traitor!” Anthony suddenly thrown Leo off his back, getting a surprised howl in return, “You, go! I’ll take care of him!”

Cold sweat ran down Rosa’s back. Crap! She thought as she searched her bag clumsily. Where did I put it...?!

Beedrill was no more than ten feet away.

What’s this...? Her flipper wandered over a few seeds.

She’s in front of her...

Hoping she had picked the right one, Rosa pulled her flipper out and threw it. The seed found its target and released a flour-like powder.

Beedrill reeled back, thinking she had been hit with something horrible.

I’m dead...! She shut her eyes, bracing for whatever effect the seed will inflict upon her. The experience of going blind still lingered in her mind. But all she felt was the powdery-stuff floating around, landing onto her body like snow.

Huh?

Slightly dazed, Beedrill dusted the powder off her.

I... I don’t feel a thing. Oh! Haha... She snorted. What a joke, that little girl just thrown a Plain Seed at me. They’re practically useless!

Beedrill recomposed herself so she could look as mean as Roserade, a big mistake, for Rosa had retrieved her second seed.

And this time, Rosa was familiar with her weapon of choice, tossing it up once before flicking it at her enemy.

A cloud of pink smoke rose on contact, but there was no time for celebration as she hurriedly swallowed her last remaining Oran Berry. In the distance, Azumarill was continuing his attack her leader, using a repeated barrage of moves, trying to kill her with a watery torture. Rosa gripped the leash on her bag tightly as she watched her friend being slammed into a boulder.

Jenny! If she gets killed...!

Horror was quick to be replaced with anger; Rosa sprinted over and dived at Azumarill’s head. Caught in the surprise, he shook his body violently and the Piplup swayed for a second, falling off when her grip could not hold on.

“You won’t get away with this!”

“And what,” he took a swipe at Rosa but missed by an inch, “What are you going to do about it?”

“This, you dirty, rotten—!”

In frenzy, Rosa jumped up again and began pounding at Azumarill. She hit him with hard strokes, trying to make sure he didn’t fight back. But after a few hits her flippers were beginning to give her a stabbing sensation, so she continued on with her beaks.

You shall pay for this...!

Rosa felt a tug, and the next thing she know she was head butted from behind and nudged into a bluish body.

“Ah!”

“Quit it, Piplup!” shouted Leo, “Let’s get outta here!”

“But—”

A star flashed beside him. Anthony.

“Rack off, Tony!” screamed the Luxio, swiping him away with an Iron Tail, “Come on, where’s that Torchic...”

“Oh, I won’t allow this, Li!” replied Azumarill. He clambered in front of him, a water sphere in his hand.

Leo sighed, “The name is Leo and your blockade is lame.”

“Try me.”

“Persistent,” he closed his eyes, “Thunder Wave!”

The readied Water Pulse exploded into showers of droplets as Leo’s small bolt of electricity ran down Azumarill’s nervous system. The bunny shook for a moment as if triggered by a spasm attack, then his legs gave away and he collapsed onto the ground, numb.

“Jenny!”

“Hey, it’s okay! It’s—holy,” Leo mouthed a swear word as Rosa gasped at her friend’s condition. The Luxio nudged at Jenny and felt her body temperature was very different from when he first met her.

“Is she—?”

“Still breathing,” Leo said grimly, looking back and forth at Jenny’s wet feathers and a recovering Anthony, “Let’s get her out. Come on...”

The two of them quickly loaded their casualty up onto Leo’s back.

“Quick! Get everyone,” he muttered to her, “I know the way out.”

There were no objections; she ran. But her main thought was not about getting everybody else to safety. Instead, she was happy that an escape route was provided to her once she finished with her... job.

“Rosa!” Oliver gestured to her as she ran past, “What happened to Jenny? And—”

“Tell everyone to follow Leo! He knows the way out!”

“Oh, good!” he shouted in relief, “I don’t think I can hold on for much longer!”

Beside him, the sheriff heard their conversations. “Thank you,” he said. A paw in his mouth, he blew a whistle at Swampert, “Swift! Come on let’s go!”

But as everyone headed in Leo’s direction, Officer Swampert was trapped—with the Riolu still in his arms and Katherine beside him, three enemies to their front and a cliff to their back closed them off. Exhaustion had already kicked in and with his injured leg, the officer could not move very fast.

“Swift!”

“Go... go away!” Katherine stuttered.

But her words were ignored as Luxray lunged forward. In a panic she gave out an ear-piercing scream loud enough to give anyone nearby a headache... but it didn’t stop Luxray from biting her head fin with Thunder Fang.

What happened next was almost like a miracle: Swift, seeing his daughter getting hurt, punched Luxray in the face before sweeping Katherine into the safety of his arms. The blow gave the leader a nosebleed, and even though it didn’t knock him out, it was the Swampert’s only way of reminding Luxray he couldn’t get away with hurting Katherine.

He felt a nudge at his side. Lucario.

“Sir!”

“Come on!” he yelled, a glowing bone in his right paw and grabbing hold of his arm on the other. Without warning Lucario half-dragged the Swampert forward, who took two steps, but stumbled on the third.

“My leg hurts!”

“Sorry but we have to—hah—go!” the sheriff replied, swatting a freshly-awoken Beedrill away. Behind him, Oliver saw her buzzing angrily above them and replied with Bullet Seed.

But it was a fruitless attempt as she dodged them effortlessly.

Lucario stole a quick glance at Leo, who was fighting Anthony off along with Rosa, and behind them was a square with strangely drawn patterns on top of it. It was a Warp Zone—a mark on the ground used to teleport the user away from the dungeon. Recorded in “The Story of Time Saviours”, Team Destiny supposedly returned to Treasure Town on a Warp Zone after fighting the Luxio and Luxray tribe.

Many years ago a landslide caused a boulder to fall down, covering this escape route. Leo was thankful he had paid attention to his grandfather’s story, and discovered it once again.

Oliver followed the sheriff’s line of vision. They were only a few metres from it, but in their situation, it felt like a mile.

“Katherine! She’s bleeding!”

“Swift—”

“Here!” Lucario suddenly found himself grabbing hold of Penny and Katherine in both his arms, “Get them away!”

Oliver started shaking when he saw the sheriff ran off. He frantically looked around—Luxray and his henchmen weren’t giving up yet, and Beedrill was still energetic. Azumarill would be back to normal soon...

“Climb on, Treecko.”

“Huh?” He turned to Officer Swampert, who was wearing a grim expression.

“Now!”

“But...”

“Please!” there was a tone of urgency in his voice.

Feeling foolish, Oliver clambered onto the officer’s shoulder, his heart pounding. The enemies were getting closer and closer each second... he wasn’t sure what the officer’s intention was, maybe he thought sitting on his shoulders may give the Treecko some comfort from everything around them...

“Take that!”

“Aah!” Swift’s sudden movement surprised Oliver, who almost lost his grip. But then he felt the Swampert shift the right side of his body and slammed down his injured leg.

Oliver cringed as he heard the officer roaring in pain, but that wasn’t all that had happened: around them, cracks were appearing instantaneously as the ground shook, causing Luxray and his henchmen to lose their footing. There was a loud rumble as thick dust swirled in the air and showers of rock began tumbling down from the cliffs.

He knew. Swift knew if he performed Earthquake with a healthy leg, there would be too much power for him to control.

But with an injured leg...

It was still a bad idea. Swift thought as he dragged himself along, the bruise on his leg had already grown into the size of a dinner plate. On top of worsening the pain, there was one opponent he had failed to take down—Beedrill. She was still in the air, shooting him with a barrage of needles. Normally it would not bother him at all, but in his weakened state... it stung.

He was on the verge of collapsing when he heard running footsteps.

“Come on, Swift!”

Oliver, whom Swift thought had run off after the earthquake, had brought the sheriff and Rosa as reinforcements. He felt Lucario’s arms wrapping around his own before being pulled forward. One, two, three...

Three tugs, that was all Lucario needed to see his officer beamed to safety.

Meanwhile, Oliver and Rosa were keeping their eyes on Beedrill, who was flying all over the place, but now heading toward the both of them. Both tried their long range attacks—Bullet Seed and Bubbles, but Oliver soon tired out and Rosa was not fast enough to keep up.

The bee was no more than a metre from them as her menacing buzz filled their ears.

“Duck!”

Without thinking, Oliver took hold of Rosa’s flipper and dived at the ground, tasting the dust in his mouth. Lucario, who had his back to Beedrill, had no time to get away as she shot forward, straight into his back.

The sheriff let out a stifled cry, feeling droplets of blood running down his back.

“I don’t think we can fight any longer!” Oliver huffed, “We-whoa!” He pulled Rosa to the side as Beedrill swerved over their heads, “We have to GO!”

“F-fine by me,” said Rosa quickly. She gave Oliver a strong shove as if he was a bully’s victim.

“Hey! What—?” caught off guard, the Treecko stumbled backwards in confusion and fell down, “That wasn’t very—”

“You might be tired, but I’m not,” the Piplup muttered, as her teammate disappeared before her eyes. She clutched the bag around her neck tighter, hearing the sound of buzzing approaching her...

She could feel a rush of power rising up her throat.

It’s getting closer...

Now!

“Bubbles!”

Rosa whirled around, the stream of foam ejecting from her mouth. She heard a yell but wasn’t sure who it was – she did not have to look. Nonetheless, whoever it was had been standing close by, which troubled her.

“Stop!”

Suddenly, Rosa felt herself being lifted off the ground; and whoever that was had just enough strength to held onto her loosely. Alarmed, she slammed her flipper at the perpetrator’s head and dropped back on earth.

“Rosa, no!”

But the Piplup did not care that she just slapped the sheriff, and focused back on the battle. Beedrill was still up there, and several metre away, survivors were starting to emerge from the rubbles of Swift’s disaster.

They were the only thing that mattered now. She could feel the desire for revenge building up like a tidal wave.

They’re going down...

“Piplup... seriously... stop,” a voice broke her thoughts.

Unbeknownst to Rosa, Leo was lying down behind her, his tail positioned in such a way he was able to trip her over by sweeping it along the ground. For the Piplup, the only thing she could see was the ground as she was picked up roughly.

“Oi! Let me go!” Rosa protested angrily, but Lucario was not about to let her go this time.

“Just... get her out...” Leo spoke again.

There was a pregnant pause from the sheriff as he glanced at the injured Luxio, hearing his groans as he struggled to get up. Rosa had hit out a strong attack before alright – unfortunately, it was aimed at the wrong Pokémon.

Beedrill’s buzz was getting closer yet again. Azumarill’s shriek reached his ear from a distance.

Leo and the sheriff’s eyes met. Lucario could see shift to the left with urgency. Go, now! They were telling them. They’re coming!

“You’re not getting away!”

Clenching his teeth, Lucario gave an apologetic nod and left, running and trying to grab onto a struggling Rosa. Needles were showering around them as Beedrill unleashed all the best she could offer. A column of water clipped his elbow, almost catching the sheriff off his balance. All the while, the Piplup wriggled around in his arms like a splashing Magikarp trying to get back to the water...

Run... run away and get out of here!

A loud thunder boomed in the background, a tortured roar from behind him as yellow lights danced in front of his eyes.

One blink of an eye and they were gone.

TBC...

(Again, I'm very, VERY sorry this chapter took so long to write. The next chapter shouldn't take as long because I have a very good idea on what to write... but then again, I can't promise anything.)

Piplup-Luv

Piplups Are Awesome
Oh wow, they sure got themselves into a big mess.

I love how this chapter was written, the battle really had me locked on to the story.

Awesome work my friend.

Master of All

Call me Peter...
Nice to see your back on track :)

Good chapter, can't wait to see the next one!!!

Illusione-Tempus

I'm glad you finally finished this chapter. I really like how to typed the battle. Now, maybe I'll get to read it in full detail when I'm back from school *is actually reading before school*

Can't wait for the next one. and I have to continue my fics at FFN as well

Azurus

The Ancient Absol
Gets better and better, just read all of this in 2 days, noticed a lot of improvement and hope you keep up the good work.

Is it necroing a thread if it's 7 months since the last post in a fanfic?

Knightfall

Blazing Wordsmith
I know that this thread has been inactive for some time, but I now have an oppertunity to make my views of this fic known.

This story, every chapter, has been amazingly epic. Your writing style is admireable, I can only hope to one day have such skills.

Truely one of the masterpieces on this site, and one of reasons that inspired me to write my own fan fiction.

I sincerely hope that this returns one day, I can't wait to read more.

Knightfall signing off...;005;

Status
Not open for further replies.