• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Pokemon Mystery Dungeon Journal

pokenutter

Warrior of Time
Julius now hates Heath, just because of one relatively minor detail about him. Things are getting really interesting at this point. I didn't find any noticable errors in spelling or grammar, good job in that department.

You seem to be getting better as you go along in the general writing department, and this chapter is the best so far in my opinion. I give this chapter a 5 out of 5 for every department; I can't wait for the next one!

Thanks! I would like to correct you on one point however; Julius hates Heath because Heath lied to him. His being an unnatural phenomenon is a contributing factor, but it's mostly about the whole lying thing.

Thanks for your review, and I should have the next chapter up on Friday.

yoshi1990

Yoshi Trainer
This might just be the way i read things but i see two grammar mistakes

Kim seems amazed, but Julius doesn’t seem to notice. He’s already moving into the grass. I dash to his size.<--did you mean to spell side

He scoffs. “Yeah, but that doesn’t change the act that I no longer have any faith in the two of you.”
did you mean to spell fact

I think its a great story. I like whare its going. I dont normally like to read stuff like this so you are very lucky that i like your story.

pokenutter

Warrior of Time
This might just be the way i read things but i see two grammar mistakes

Kim seems amazed, but Julius doesn’t seem to notice. He’s already moving into the grass. I dash to his size.<--did you mean to spell side

He scoffs. “Yeah, but that doesn’t change the act that I no longer have any faith in the two of you.”
did you mean to spell fact

I think its a great story. I like whare its going. I dont normally like to read stuff like this so you are very lucky that i like your story.

Good eyes- I missed those! I'll go back and fix them. Thanks for your review!

pokenutter

Warrior of Time
We arrive at the base of the tree in about a half hour, and the sun has already begun to dip below the horizon. That isn’t our biggest problem, however. Our biggest problem is getting up to Sylvan.

We stop just at the roots of the tree, and just sort of stare up the trunk. Kim breaks our silence.

“Well. I guess we climb.”

Julius turns. “Are you insane? There’s got to be some sort of lift. If we find that, we can get to the town before dark.”

A sudden voice behind us catches us totally off-guard. “You need the lift?”

A Grovyle pops his head out of the grass behind us. Kim seems to be the only one of us who isn’t taken aback by his sudden appearance.

“Yeah, it’s kind of important that we arrive in town before dark.”

“Say no more.” He turns towards the tree. “Hey, Meowth! Send the lift down!”

Another voice calls down. “Gotcha, Grovie!”

The Grovyle rolls his eyes, and mutters to himself. “I swear, If I’ve told him once, I’ve told him a thousand times…”

There is a loud creaking sound, and a green pod attached to a vine slowly descends. It stops just short of the ground, and a Chimchar pops his head out. He motions for us to enter, and we all cram into the small pod.

The ride up on the pod takes a few minutes, but eventually we hop out at the top. The Meowth at the top salutes us as we leave. I don’t know why, but their trio seemed familiar.

Sylvan appears to not only have been built in a tree, but also inside of it as well. The first thing we see is an opening into the inside of the tree, where a flight of stairs both ascend and descend.

Julius pokes his head into the stairway, and nearly collides with a passing Heracross. The two take a moment to get their bearings, and Julius asks for directions to wherever Melchior can be found. The Heracross points him up the stars, and we begin to climb.

It’s a good ten minutes before we reach the next opening. The stairs are narrow, and they spiral around the very edge of the tree. So, even if maneuvering around anyone else was totally removed from the equation, the journey would still be very long. What greets us at the top, however, is well worth the climb.

In the ten minutes and thirty feet we spent in the trunk, the scenery has totally changed. What were at first the lower branches of an abnormally large willow tree have given way to walls of green, and a wooden catwalk carefully nailed into the tree itself. Buildings have been constructed on top of this artificial floor, and they are created to amplify any light coming from within; a useful feature, given that very little light comes through the semi-dome covering the city.

It takes me a while to grasp exactly what I’m looking at, and Kim seems to be equally blown away. Sooner or later, though, I hear Julius talking to Kim, and she taps my shoulder.

“Come on. Julius thinks he knows where we can find Melchior.”

I shrug, and Julius leads the way. We follow him for a good ten minutes before I begin to wonder if he knows where he’s going. I lean forward, and am about to ask him when he abruptly stops. He turns, and announces that we’ve arrived.

The building in front of up is round, like a large dome. Its wooden frame appears old, older than most of the wood on the ground. A trio of chimneys sits on top, but only one belches smoke. The other two just sort of sit there, not doing anything. I’m about to ask if this is some kind of joke, when out of nowhere, a Pelipper flies out of one of the chimneys, and darts through the thick foliage surrounding the town.

I gaze at the building again, and only now do I see the words carved onto the outside.

Pelipper Post Office

“So, he has a part-time job as a postman?”

Julius rounds on me, this time looking like he’s going to strike me. Kim mercifully intervenes, and speaks.

“Pelipper Post Offices are the standard place for posting missions. Madame Lucario’s tent is a rare example of a non-post office rescue team HQ.”

“Okay, so this is where teams get hired out? Wouldn’t a high-level adventurer like Melchior only take requests?”

“In most cases, yes. However, due to the recent… incidents with the sun, the postal system has announced a holiday until everything returns to normal. So, anyone who needs a job done has to put it on the community bulletin board.”

“So all we have to do is wait?”

“In theory, but since we have no idea where he is, we could end up waiting as long as a week for him to show up.”

With this happy though in mind, we enter the post office, and are instantly caught up in a huge crowd of Pokemon. In the ensuing confusion, I notice a sign pointing in two directions. To one side, it reads “Post Office.” The other reads “Lounge.” I scan the crowd for Julius and Kim, and motion for them to follow me. I head into the lounge area.

If at all possible, it’s more crowded in here than in the lobby. Louder, too. We push our way into the throng, and make our way towards what looks like a bar. As we pass through, I realize that everyone here is packed into groups of three or four. Almost every single Pokemon here has some kind of item on their person, usually a scarf, some with silver spikes, and others with seed bags.

Rescue teams…

We arrive at the bar area, and Kim orders us each a hot drink. It isn’t cold out, but we are certainly much younger than anyone else here. The bartender, a Gulpin with an odd scar under his eye, prepares the drinks while we sit in silence. Eventually, Kim grabs the two of us.

“Honestly, you two. Get over yourselves. Talk to each other.”

Before I can say anything, Julius jumps in with a snarky comment about how he doesn’t talk to liars, or something like that. I’ve already tuned them both out, and am now staring intently at the door as the two break out in a slap fight. Something’s going to have to enter the room and make these two stop acting like idio…

What are the odds? Seriously, what are the odds?

A large Dragonite has just entered the room. It isn’t his unusual size, or the fact that he’s covered with snow in the very late summer, or even the ginormous crowd following him in. No, it’s his left eye that catches my attention.

The pupil and iris are perfectly normal. However, the sclera is a bright purple, almost magenta. I stare, and I know we’ve found our man.

I motion for Julius and Kim to look at the door, and turn to face them. I catch them just as Kim socks Julius in the gut. I reach in, and grab the two of them.

“Hey knuckleheads, he’s here.”

The two freeze up, and face the doorway. Kim is the first to move. She grabs my bag, and strides over to the door. She stops in front of Melchior, and speaks.

“Um, excuse me? Sir?”

He looks down and notices her. He smiles.

“Hello. And what can I do for you?”

“Um, I came from Quest Plaza. I have a letter from Jaroda.”

Melchior’s face suddenly changes. He leans down next to Kim, and whispers something in her ear. Kim nods, and sits back down, a bit farther away from Julius than she was before. She leans toward us.

“He said that we should meet him later tonight, on the outskirts of town. By then, his paparazzi should have died down, and he can talk to us and write a return letter.”

Julius and I nod, and just sort of sit silently for a while. Before long, however, Kim pushes her way through the crowd, and pokes her head out a window. She returns to the table, and speaks.

“Right, then. Let’s go.”

Finally, a new chapter. Onto the review:

The building in front of us is round, like a large dome.

Figured i'd point that out.

This chapter unfortunately seemed rather filler, and after the month wait too.:(
I give this chapter 4.6 out of 5, and I feel I may be rating it too high. In other words, I was very dissapointed with this chapter.

pokenutter

Warrior of Time
Finally, a new chapter. Onto the review:

Figured i'd point that out.

This chapter unfortunately seemed rather filler, and after the month wait too.:(
I give this chapter 4.6 out of 5, and I feel I may be rating it too high. In other words, I was very dissapointed with this chapter.

Honestly, so was I. For me, the chapter seemed kind of awkward, and only served to tell the setting. Melchior's reveal was supposed to be a big thing, and it felt to me like I was giving it a backseat. So, I'm not happy with this chapter, either.

Thanks for your review.

AstralEon

The one and only.
Hey, nice to see you again. It's been a while since your last journal entry was made. Glad to see you're still alive. =P

Review:

Something’s going to have to enter the room and make these two stop acting like idiots
One tiny problem I found.

And I have to agree with Resident evil, it seems more of a filler, and yes it was more focused on setting as well. Although I finally did got to know who Melchior is. I asked earlier who Melchior was, which I didn't get response or a hint that he would be mention later. Guess I got that question answered in this entry.

That's about it. Everything looks good so far.

pokenutter

Warrior of Time
Hey, nice to see you again. It's been a while since your last journal entry was made. Glad to see you're still alive. =P

Review:

One tiny problem I found.

And I have to agree with Resident evil, it seems more of a filler, and yes it was more focused on setting as well. Although I finally did got to know who Melchior is. I asked earlier who Melchior was, which I didn't get response or a hint that he would be mention later. Guess I got that question answered in this entry.

That's about it. Everything looks good so far.

I actually left the word unfinished because Melchior entered before Heath could completely finish his thought. In addition, I have an excuse for not answering your question about Melchior; I actually thougt you were joking. My bad!

Thanks for your review!

Mei

Hi, I'm a new reader, and I wanted to say that I like this fic very much. The journal-style narration is different, but not disconcertingly so, and you do a good job of keeping the present tense consistent. I also like the dynamic of having three Pokemon on the team instead of just the hero and the partner.
Keep up the good work!

pokenutter

Warrior of Time
Hi, I'm a new reader, and I wanted to say that I like this fic very much. The journal-style narration is different, but not disconcertingly so, and you do a good job of keeping the present tense consistent. I also like the dynamic of having three Pokemon on the team instead of just the hero and the partner.
Keep up the good work!

Thank you very much!

pokenutter

Warrior of Time
Brrrr. I hate the cold. The thick foliage surrounding Sylvan is incredible at blocking light, but not so much cold.

We’re on the outskirts of town, and night has fallen. Melchior is due to arrive any minute now, but for now, we’re just sitting around, twiddling our thumbs. I’m standing close to the edge and can make out a light source beyond the leaves.

I push my way through. The floor sticks out about ten feet past the edge of the dome, so it isn’t a problem to stand outside.

Off in the distance is a pair of specks of light. One, which is a bit closer than the other, looks like a city. The other one is a bit farther, and I can’t tell what it is. I’m about to head back in, when Kim pushes her way through as well. She strides over and stands next to me.

“You look cold.”

“Yeah, a little bit. I can deal, though. What’s that light off in the distance? I assume the closer one’s Nexus.”

“That’s right. The far-off one is Geal Tower. It’s a beacon of hope and light through even the darkest of times. The tower has an entrance, but no one has ever explored its entirety. It’s occasionally used for religious festivals. It has a counterpart somewhere to the South called the Dubh Tower, which is considered an evil place that shrouds the surrounding area in darkness.”

“Interesting. So, what’s in Nexus?”

“Well, there’s a port, a guild for rescue teams who feel the need to belong, and the biggest library on the continent.”

“Hmm.”

We sit for a few more minutes before Julius pokes his head out to alert us that Melchior has arrived. We follow him back out, and Melchior stands, eargerly waiting for us.

I march forward, and hand him the letter. He is about to take it when his eyes suddenly narrow. He pulls his hand back.

“You aren’t normal.”

His fist begins to glow, and a moment later, I feel I’ve been hit with a bag of bricks. I go flying into a wall, and feel something break. I cry out, and my vision whites over.

I squeeze my eyes shut. I can’t move. I don’t know what I’ve broken, but even breathing is painful now. Yet, even amidst all the pain, I still hear something.

“-you cannot catch me!”

“-darkness another time-“

“-time with just one-“

“GRAVE PRICE FOR EXPANDING THE DISTORTION-“

None of it makes any sense. I don’t know what’s going on.

I open my eyes again, and am shocked to see Kim standing over me, back turned. Her arms are held out to the sides. I see Melchior step into view, right over her. I immediately understand what she’s trying to do. I manage to wheeze out… something. I pray she hears a plea to get out of the way.

No luck. Melchior hovers over her, not sure what to do. She shouts, “Stop! What are you doing?”

“Let me pass, child. Your friend is a walking, breathing rip in the fabric of space. I am sworn into the service of Palkia, which means I must destroy any such anomalies.”

Everyone is silent for a few seconds. I squeeze my eyes shut, and wheeze out as loudly as I can, “I’m… a… hu… man…”

The look on Melchior’s face would probably be a bit funnier if I wasn’t his target or in a monstrous amount of pain.

“What did you say?”

I don’t have the energy to repeat myself. Kim, however, manages to pick up on this.

“Sir, he’s human. We don’t know how or why, but he is. He doesn’t remember anything, not even his name.”

Melchior takes a moment to digest this. He backs down, and slowly makes his way around Kim, heading straight towards me. He leans down next to me.

“Let’s see… A broken arm, a broken leg, and two broken ribs…”

He looks at my face.

“I’m terribly sorry about this. In six hundred years, The Entity has not called on a human. It’s only natural you’d cause some sort of special distortion.”

I’m in too much pain to talk right now. Luckily for me, Kim asks the obvious question.

“The Entity? What’s that?”

“The Entity is a being that is sort of like Arceus’s right hand-man. It works behind the scenes for the most part, but has directly intervened in times of oncoming crisis. Its most common form of intervention is setting up a sequence of events that lead to a human becoming a Pokemon. Its reasons for doing this are unknown, but it always works out. Usually, when this sort of crisis occurs, a human also rises to become a great hero, but this rarely impacts us on this side of the world.”

I try to nod, but I’m in too much pain. I close my eyes for a moment to digest what he said

Kim’s Note: The journal abruptly cuts off here, probably because he fell unconscious. It picks up eventually, but not for another two months. I don’t know why it doesn’t continue until then, because I visited Heath regularly over those months, and he was very much awake. So, I will try to summarize what happened in those two months.

Within five minutes of Heath’s injuries, he was brought into a hospital. Nurse Blissey told us he’d survive, but he’d be out of commission for a few weeks. With that understanding, we decided to look for a place to stay the night.

Melchior came to us in the morning, with a reply to Jaroda’s letter, and he told us that he would pay for Heath’s hospital bill. We struck home within minutes.

Jaroda was waiting for us when we returned. We got paid, and Julius and I parted ways.

Nothing noteworthy occurred for the next couple days. I was in the market, trying to buy some apples for Heath and I to enjoy, when who should I run into but Julius. Who, by the way, was in the process of telling everyone he knew about who and what Heath was.

So, everybody knew (except for Raichu, who he hadn’t gotten around to telling yet). Among the more sympathetic were The Kecleons (for some reason) and Kangaskhan. The others really didn’t care one way or the other. So, I guess Heath got out of that one okay. Julius wasn’t pleased.

A few weeks later, I was visiting Madame Lucario, and she brought up the topic of Julius. She wasn’t yet aware that the team had split up. When I told her the story, her eyes narrowed at the mention of Jaroda’s name. I remember her standing up, and stating that he wasn’t to be trusted, and that she knew this personally.

I remember asking her why, and she seemed nostalgic for a moment. I remember her next words fairly clearly.

“Well, we used to know each other very well. We traveled a lot together and… You know what? Forget it. We were both members of a rescue team at one point. The Light Brigade, it was called. The group stayed together until Jaroda…”

“Yes?”

“It’s not something you need to know. I’ve told you enough; no sense burdening you with that.”

Heath was shocked when he heard that. He showed some curiosity about what Jaroda had done, but neither of us had any starting points on discovering this.

Time passed, and Heath recovered. By the time the next entry began, Heath had only been home for four days. He had been doing well, and now a spanner was in the works.

Still, I’d say it worked out for the better.

Last edited:
Review:

A few weeks later, I was visiting Madame Lucario, and she brought up the topic of Julius. She wasn’t yet aware that the team had split up. When I told her the story, her eyes narrowed at the mention of Jaroda’s name. I remember her standing up, and stating that he wasn’t to be trusted, and that she knew this personally.

Something that I noticed.

Some good plot-related material, makes up for the last one, overall a pretty solid chapter. I give this chapter a 5 out of 5, I rather enjoyed this one.

pokenutter

Warrior of Time
Review:

Something that I noticed.

Some good plot-related material, makes up for the last one, overall a pretty solid chapter. I give this chapter a 5 out of 5, I rather enjoyed this one.

Thanks for pointing that out; it's been fixed. Also, thanks for the review!

pokenutter

Warrior of Time
November 21st

“-take me to the future…or the past-“

“-ends in my ultimate victory!”

Gasp!

Well, that was new. My flashes of dialogue have never interrupted my dreams before.

I pull myself out of bed, and plod into the kitchen, still a bit groggy. I poke my head out of a window, and muse at how quiet it’s been lately. Ever since Julius and Kim returned to Quest Plaza, they’ve had very little contact. As such, Kim and I haven’t been hired out for adventures. I know that she has no interest in being part of a rescue team, but still…

But, she isn’t interested, and I can’t defend myself properly on missions. So, there goes that dream.

…Or maybe not…

I take a moment to rummage around, and locate a sheet of paper. I scribble a quick note out, toss on a scarf, and head out the door.

It looks like it’s been a slow day at the dojo. My evidence? Zoroark is seated in the booth outside, almost asleep. He slowly raises his head as he sees me approach.

“Hello. Zoroark’s Dojo, a place for training on slow days. How can I help?”

His lack of enthusiasm is evident. “Hey. Look, I know I’m not on a rescue team anymore-“

“Yeah. I know. Look, Heath. If you need a shoulder to lean on, Raichu’ll listen to your every complaint. This here, however, is a place of business. If you have none, I suggest you leave.”

“Actually, I should have taken this trip a few months ago. I have some dungeoneering experience, but I’ve already been on one mission where I couldn’t use items. I figure that if someone could teach me how to use some moves-“

He’s already moved to the door on the side, and quickly unlocks it. He pokes his head out.

“Now, that’s what I’m talking about! Finally, something to do! Come on in!”

I step into the dojo. There’s a flight of stairs immediately to the right, and a fairly sizeable living room occupying the building’s main area. Fine furniture lines the sides of the room, and several antiques sit on shelves near the top of the room.

Zoroark is busy closing up his window, and putting up a small “Closed” sign. He finally pulls himself together, and motions for me to follow him down the stairs. I follow slowly; these stairs are made for someone of human size.

It could just be that I’m taking the stairs slowly, but the climb down seems to take forever. We eventually make it to the bottom; a huge room with basically nothing in it, save for a bench along the wall. Another doorway lies at the other end of the room.

Zoroark, motions toward the bench, and I sit down. He nods, and steps back up the stairs for a minute, before coming back with a small pouch. He sits down next to me, and pulls the pouch open.

“Okay, any idea what your experience level is?”

“Experience level? What’s that?”

“It’s a system you humans came up with to measure a Pokemon’s battle strength. Most Pokemon don’t know theirs, so I don’t usually ask, but I figured you might know yours…”

He pulls a small oblong box out of the pouch. It’s about six by three inches, and a dull red color. An image of a Poké Ball is engraved on the front.

“Um, Zoroark? Is that an old Pokedex?”

“Yeah. You ask the right Kecleon for something and offer the right price, he’ll sell you his own mother.”

“Okay, but where’d he get it?”

“I don’t know. Never ask a Kecleon where his wares come from; you won’t get a straight answer. Theirs is a race of hucksters, and they keep the origin of all their merchandise a secret. They believe that if it exists, it can be sold. If it can be sold, it can be stolen. So, they view information as sellable, too. However, they will not sell info about the source of their merchandise, as they feel that the moment it’s revealed, everything will be stolen.”

“That’s an… odd bit of reasoning.”

“Tell me about it. So, give me a moment, here.”

He presses a few buttons on the side of the Pokedex, and the box unfolds itself. He points it at me, and it clicks. He stares at the screen for a moment, and shakes it violently. There’s a screeching sound, and then silence. Zoroark looks at the screen again, and frowns. He slaps it, and then smiles.

“Okay, here we go. Dang thing must be broken. It showed you as a couple different Pokemon before I got it working. Anyway, this shows your EL to be 12. Thus, you should know the moves Scratch, Leer, Water Gun, and Rage. I’, guessing you’ve never used any of those before?”

“Nope. Not a one.”

He stands up and motions for me to stand on the other end of the room.

“Now,” he announces. “Most Pokemon are taught how to fight within a week of hatching. They have no more experience than you have. However, they do most of the work of learning attacks at will. Here, we’ll start the same way, but drive your nose to the grindstone. After one lesson, you’ll have around two months of experience. Now shall we begin?”

I nod, and strike what I assume is a ready position. “So, what do I do?”

“Hold on, Heath. At your level, moves aren’t something you can just use. At your level of mastery, they’re a reflexive self defense mechanism. You’ve always had items before, so you haven’t had to rely on them. Here, we’re going to force you to use them.

“In a few moments, I’m going to attack you. I want you to defend yourself. You will not be able to run or restrain me. You are to hit me before I hit you. If you try to block I will hit twice as hard. Got that?”

I nod, and we stand. Neither of us moves a muscle for several minutes. However, eventually he moves.

I almost miss the movement as he flicks his claw forward, and launches himself at me. His claws are glowing red, and look razor sharp. I remember his words, and jump forward, claws in front of me.

Nothing. Crap, he’s about to hit me!

I shake my arms as if that’ll make them work. He’s now around four feet in front of me. I squeeze my eyes shut, and decide that it’ll be better to take the hit defensively than to take it full force. I cross my arms in front of me, expecting him to suddenly change speed. He does, and I take the hit, being launched several feet backwards.

I pick myself up, and face Zoroark. He looks a bit disappointed.

“Come on, Heath; either you want to learn moves or you don’t. Did I come at you too fast?”

“Maybe. I’m not sure; I’ve never done this sort of thing before.”

He sighs, and calls me over to the center of the room. He bends down on one knee, and thinks. He snaps his fingers after a moment, and smiles.

“I’ve been going at this all wrong. You already have some moves under your belt, so I shouldn’t be using this curriculum.”

He stands, and heads to the other side of the room, and rummages around near the stairs. He comes back with a large book. He places it down on the ground, dusts it off, and cracks the spine open. He flips a few pages, and then begins to read. He finally points to a page, and smiles.

“How would you like to learn Water Oath?”

I raise an eyebrow, and Zoroark shows me the page. It’s a guide on how to tutor moves. I shrug, a bit confused.

“How is teaching me moves going to help?”

“This way, you’ll learn how to use the moves. You already have four moves under your belt, so your body assumes at this point that you know how to use them at will. Thus, it will not use them reflexively. So, the only answer is to teach you how to use moves that you don’t yet know. There are a few in here you’ll be able to learn, so you might be able to have a full set of moves in a few hours.”

It seems like a good idea. I nod, and he begins reading aloud.

“Okay, this sounds weird, but I want you to focus your energy.”

“What?”

“Um, that’s what the book says to do.”

There’s an awkward silence for a few moments, and Zoroark suddenly runs upstairs. I glance after him, and he calls down, “Just wait a moment!”

I sit down, and wait for him. He’s upstairs for around 10 minutes, but comes down with a tub of water. He plonks it down in front of me, and gestures.

“All Water-types can control the flow of water on some small level. If we start with water that you can see, then perhaps we can get you to learn Water Oath easier.”

I have no idea what he’s talking about, but he seems to think it’ll work. I head over to the tub, and stare at the water. “Um, what an I supposed to do, exactly?”

He’s about to answer, when a flash of light comes from upstairs. Zoroark freezes, and runs upstairs. He comes dashing back down the stairs a few moments later, and grabs me.

“Lesson postponed. The sun’s vanished again. Just stay down here, and we’ll be fine."

Last edited:
First of all, you double posted the chapter. Onto the review:

“In a few moments, I’m going to attack you. I want you to defend yourself. You will not be able to run or restrain me. You are to hit me before I hit you. If you try to block I will hit twice as hard. Got that?”

There you go.

Heath is finally going to learn how to use moves, the sun vanished again, overall, a great chapter. I give this chapter a 5 out of 5, this chapter was nearly flawless for a somewhat filler chapter.

pokenutter

Warrior of Time
First of all, you double posted the chapter. Onto the review:

There you go.

Heath is finally going to learn how to use moves, the sun vanished again, overall, a great chapter. I give this chapter a 5 out of 5, this chapter was nearly flawless for a somewhat filler chapter.

Fixed. Thanks for the review. I wasn't sure if it would be very obvious, but yes, this is technically a filler chapter. The events will impact the story later, but for now, this arc starts with a filler chapter.

pokenutter

Warrior of Time
Well, Zoroark and I have managed to stay under his house for several minutes now. For whatever reason, the cold doesn’t come down here. I ask Zoroark why, and he shrugs.

“I don’t know, honestly. It could be because of the fact that there’s a Mystery Dungeon in such close proximity-“

“What?”

“Back in the day, towns were founded by large bands of rescue teams settling in one area. It was the concept of the dojo that changed that. In a nutshell, any credible dojo needs to challenge its patrons to the best of its ability. As such, most are built on top of an existing subterranean Mystery Dungeon. Since these are rarely anywhere near civilization, dojos started popping up all over the place, with many attracting small communities around them. Quest Plaza is one such town.”

“So, you built this dojo?”

“No. I inherited the dojo from my old master, and he from his. It starts getting a bit foggy around four hundred years or so, but I know that this dojo was founded by a Salamence.”

“So how does the Mystery Dungeon provide the warmth?”

“Mystery Dungeons are asynchronous moments in space and time. As such, the surrounding area is unaffected by the environment around them. We may not be in a Mystery Dungeon right now, but we’re close enough so that time is being warped.”

I nod in understanding, and am about to strike up a conversation when a knocking comes from upstairs. Zoroark holds up a finger, motioning for me to wait. He heads upstairs, and I hear the door opening. I hear muted conversation, and then two sets of footsteps descending the stairs.

Zoroark comes first, carrying something large and green behind his back. Madame Lucario follows close behind, holding the other side. It doesn’t take me long to figure out that they’re carrying an unconscious Jaroda.

I rush over, and ask if I can help with anything. Madame Lucario nods, and sends me upstairs to fill a tub with warm water.

“Jaroda’s species is cold blooded. When the sun went out before now, odds are he was inside his house, which is insulated to a ridiculous degree, or near some source of warmth. However, he was shopping today, and got caught on the other end of town. He’s lucky he passed out near my tent.”

As I’m filling the tub, another knock comes from the door. I go and answer it this time, and am surprised as Kim storms through the door, and grabs me.

“We’re going home, Heath. It’s barely safe out right now.”

“I can’t leave yet, Kim. You see-“

“Do you know what’s going on outside? In a word- anarchy! The last two times this happened, it was a five minutes at most. It’s been fifteen- there’s talk of Armageddon. Beyond that, Officer Magnezone has his hands full with looters all throughout the area. Our house is far away enough where no one will bother breaking in. We need to go, now! Before some crazy idiot comes in here!”

“Kim, I would have left immediately, but Zoroark seemed to think it was best for me to stay downstairs.”

Before Kim can reply, Madame Lucario bounds up the stairs. She seems ready to chastise me over my slowness with delivering the tub, but notices Kim.

“Kim! What are you doing here?”

“Bringing Heath home. Why?”

“No, he’s helping me. Come downstairs, you may be better suited to this job than he is.”

Kim follows perplexedly, and I take the rear, being sure to close and lock Zoroark’s door. When we reach the bottom of the stairs, Kim sees Jaroda, and nods.

“Right. I need something flammable. Something that wouldn’t be missed.”

Zoroark thinks for a moment, and picks up the bench along the wall. “I was going to replace this thing anyway…” he mutters to himself, and places it near Jaroda.

Kim pulls her head back, and lets loose a small tongue of flame. It sets the bench alight, and soon, Jaroda is seated next to a roaring fire. Kim begins to walk around it slowly, eyeing it suspiciously. In response to my confused look, she explains.

“I had to make this fire on the fly. No warning, no preparation, not even proper firewood. So, I need to keep an eye on this fire, to make sure it doesn’t set the house ablaze. Based on what your note said, you came here to learn some moves. If you know any water type moves, it might help to douse the area around the flames.”

“While that sounds like a good idea, Zoroark and I were busy with Plan B for equipping me with moves when the sun went out. We never actually got anywhere with it. I’m still moveless.”

Kim rolls her eyes. “Alright, we need to find some way of containing the fire.”

She turns to Zoroark. “Do you have any roundish metal objects?”

“That tub of water has one, but it’s nowhere near big enough to contain a fire of that size.”

She sighs. “Fine. Heath, I’ll monitor the fire, you and Zoroark go out into town to get something we can use as a fire ring.”

Zoroark and I nod, and head up the stairs. Bearing in mind what Kim had told me earlier about the state of the outside, I unlocked the door, ready for anything.

It’s quiet in the streets. Nearby, I catch a quick flash of movement. It remains still for a moment, and then zips in front of us.

The Pokémon in front of us is silver and disc-shaped. It has a single eye at its center, and a pair of magnets at its sides. I’ve never met this particular Pokémon before, but I can guess by his reputation.

“Officer Magnezone, I presume.”
His voice is crackly, as if he gargles with hot sauce. It can’t seem to maintain a pitch.

“YeS. nameS AND buSiNESs, PLeAsE.”

Zoroark nods.

“Heath the Totodile and the Zoroark formerly known as Garret.”

“Wait, formerly known?”

“One moment please, Heath. Our business is with the Kecleons. We’re purchasing a fire ring.”

Several seconds pass, and Officer Magnezone stands to the side.

“i aPOlogiZE for THE inCONVenIenCE. aS yOU WerE.”

Officer Magnezone flies off, and I turn to Zoroark. “It must really be bad out there; he sounded a tad shaken up.”

“He always sounds like that. Every Pokémon in his evolutionary line uses a magnetic field to speak. I have no idea how it works, something about the frequency becoming audible. However, one of his magnets was damaged around twelve years ago during an apprehension of a particularly skilled combatant. His voice has been like that ever since.”

“Hmm. Interesting. So anyway, about your name…”

“Some Pokémon have names, others don’t. It’s mostly a matter of preference, but there is sometimes an occasion when a Pokemon’s parents will name them from birth. My parents were adamant that I would be named Garret, after a great explorer. Personally, I felt that I was no one special, so I went through legal hell in order to have the name wiped when I came of age. I didn’t feel like going through that again to get a new name, so I stuck with my species name.”

“Legal hell? What do you mean?”

“There’s a legal process behind getting a name. Due to the phasing out of clan names around two thousand years ago, you could, in theory, have the exact same name as someone else. In some cases, it could be the name of a known criminal. So, in order to prevent cases of mistaken identity, there’s a lot of legal screening to see if any living Pokémon has the same name you want, how far away from you they are, and how well-known they’ve become, for good or ill. If all of that information checks out, then the name is useable. However, even then, the name can be revoked if a criminal begins to use it, or after someone is dragged into court after allegedly committing a crime. In the case of the latter, it’s usually so that others can’t commit crimes in the name of the first criminal.”

“That’s a bit more than I wanted to know. So, what about my name? Kim or I haven’t been through this process yet.”

“Why would you?”

“Well, Kim named me. I don’t know my actual name.”

Zoroark looks confused for a moment, then shrugs. “I think as long as everyone thinks that it’s your human name, you should be fine.”

Before long, we arrive at the Kecleons’ store. To put it nicely, it’s a total wreck. The stand out front has been demolished, and appears to have been broken down the middle. Their banner appears to have been shredded, and some parts of it are on fire.

The Kecleons themselves are actively moving around the rubble, trying to pick up what remains of the stand. Upon seeing us, they strike ready poses. The purple one calls out.

“All right, keep moving! We have nothing for you here. We don’t want any trouble, but we’ll fight if we have to.”

Zoroark reaches into his mane and pulls his wallet out. He tosses it over.

“We’re here to buy, not loot.”

Their attitudes change immediately upon hearing this. The green one calls out.

“Alright, my good sirs! What can we get for you?”

“We need a large iron ring. Either that, or a large quantity of bricks or stones.”

“You got it!”

They dash inside for a moment, and come back rolling a metal ring around four feet in diameter.

“It’s a bit big, but it’s all we have. 500 Poké, please.”

Zoroark pays, and we leave the Kecleons to their repairs. We move quickly across the square in near total darkness. We’re about halfway back to his house when suddenly, a Magmortar dashes past. He fires a blast of hot air past us, and a torch abruptly lights up behind us. He continues on his way, and I look at Zoroark, confused.

“He’s probably been hired to light all the torches. At night, torches are lit for travelers. I suppose they decided to treat this as a cold, moonless night.”

I nod and turn to face the road, finally visible by a flickering, orange light. I pause for a moment; I think I saw something. I tell Zoroark to hold on a moment, and dash to the side of the road.

I begin to poke around, noting that the grass is frozen almost to the point of sharpness, and eventually locate what I thought I saw.

Julius, facedown on the ground. I hold my fingers to his wrist, and feel a faint pulse.

I consider my options. So far, Zoroark and I are the only ones who are on this road. Given the lighting of torches, more will probably walk this path. However, I have no idea what his constitution is like. I have no idea how long he’ll survive.

I really don’t have any choice, do I? Cursing my luck, I heave Julius onto my back, and drag him out, trying to fathom how I’m going to explain this to Kim

pokenutter

Warrior of Time
I figure with Black and White less than 10 days away, it might be a good idea to mention this; In any of my fanfics, I will not use the official American names for already established characters. i.e., Jaroda will not be referred to as Serperior, for example, due to his creation prior to the name reveal. All further Serperiors will be called as such. However, if it's something very minor minor (such as Julius's species being Kibago,) it will be changed for future releases (Julius the Axew. Hey, I didn't come up with the species name.)

pokenutter

Warrior of Time
im a new reader to your journal and i love it. so much suspence and mystery.

great job

Thanks! I should be back to this soon; this semester has been a bear, and has really made writing more chapters difficult. I should have the new chapter ready by May 7th.