• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Pokemon Mystery Dungeon Journal

Rotomknight

THE GREATEST TRAINER
This is great but I NEED MORE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
MY subscribes don't work.
This felt like filler, but good filler.

Knightfall

Blazing Wordsmith
Well here we are once again. Good to know that at least one of us can get a chapter written in this accursed month of tests and exams.

Anyways, onwards to the review.

Zoroark and I have been working on teaching me Water Pledge, but it’s been slow going. I can understand the concepts fairly easily, but my execution isn’t reliable, going from way too weak to nearly completely emptying the tub, and then back to low power again. Zoroark never seems fazed by this, always refilling the tub as much as is necessary before letting me take another break. It’s taxing work, but if I manage to master this…

Poor Heath, I can't imagine how difficult it is to try to learn a new move from complete scratch. At least he is beginning to gain some control over his new abilities.

“…thought you would never forgive me for it.”

“What you did is unforgiveable. I just can’t let you freeze to death going home on your own. In that case, your blood would be on my hands.”

I realize that they used to be on a rescue team, but what exactly happened to cause them to despise each other so much. Obviously Jaroda did something, but just what was so unforgiveable that even all these years later, they still hold a grudge?
I guess it'll be revealed in later chapters.

“Bottom line, you two need to deal with this. Sooner, rather than later. Julius knows how to hold a grudge, and that worries me. Perhaps the three of you may not be friends again, but at the very least, you might be able to show some civility towards each other.”

Finally someone says something logical. Hopefully Heath and Kim can reconcile with Julius. If they can't, well, let's hope Julius doesn't hold a grudge like Madam Lucario and Jaroda.

I hear the sound of something heavy and wooden clunking around for a minute, and notice Kim carrying a chair. There’s a flash from the fireplace, and a bright orange light illuminates most of the room. I’m about to ask Kim about that, but she beats me to the punch.

“It was either this, or go outside into the freezing cold, and maybe find wood. Now, what about the blankets?”

Every time. It's always the chairs that get burned first. Every time.
Still, it beats slowly freezing to death.

Come to think of it, where do these notes come from? Until I sit down and start playing, I don’t even know that I know these songs. It’s not just notes, either. Back when I fought Lady Christine, I somehow knew swordplay maneuvers. That’s not exactly common knowledge for humans, is it? And I only knew how to use them in that moment.

An amature flute player and sword fighter, sounds like he lead an an interesting life as a human.

Then, there are my visions. Or, maybe that’s not the right term for them. My flashes of an event occurring at Temporal Tower. Bits of fragmented dialogue… I haven’t seen anything, but I’m certain that it has something to do with the Hero Kim mentioned.

He certainly has a connection with the Hero, what that is I don't know. But his visions and the splices of conversation he's hearing sound like the Dimensional Scream ability.

“Kim? The song I’m playing- what’s it called?”

“I think it’s called Into the Sea of Time. A well-known bard composed it about two hundred years ago, as a sort of tribute to one of his ancestors.”

“Who was his ancestor?”

“A Grovyle. One who was involved-“

“With Temporal Tower, right?”

Is that the same as this song from PMD 2?

“Where is this Temporal Tower?”

“If memory serves, it’s located outside space and time. It can be accessed via a portal to the north of a continent to the far west.”

You already told us that the Time Gear Crisis happened on another continent, but now we have a general direction of where it actually is. I find that interesting.

“I’m sorry. I’ve never heard of anything like that. You hear dialogue from an event that you’re spatially and temporally removed from… And this is recurring?”

“Whenever I’m in extreme pain. Recently, though, it’s started interrupting my dreams.”

Sounding more and more like the Dimensional Scream.

I’m about to voice my approval, when a bright light flashes from outside. I look out a window, and witness a bizarre sight. To the North, an immense light is shining. It looks nothing like a sun, but it provides enough light that the area around it is cast in a dim light.

Kim is staring at it too. She notes my confusion, and explains.

“That looks like a Volcarona. The fact that the light is coming from the North probably means that he’s from Nexus. They’re probably in even more of a state of panic than we are, here…”

I wonder if they keep the Volcarona employed for circumstances like these? I hope the group eventually goes to Nexus, I'd like to see how you protray that city.

“C-cold…”

Julius is awake.
You have a knack for ending with cliffhangers I see, not that I mind in the slightest.

A great chapter, can't wait to see how Julius reacts to everything that's happened so far in the next one.

Now, I gotta get back to writing my own fanfic. It's been awhile since I've done anything in that department.

Knightfall signing off...;005;

pokenutter

Warrior of Time
I realize that they used to be on a rescue team, but what exactly happened to cause them to despise each other so much. Obviously Jaroda did something, but just what was so unforgiveable that even all these years later, they still hold a grudge?
I guess it'll be revealed in later chapters.

Yes, I plan on revealing what happened close to the end of the 4th arc.

An amature flute player and sword fighter, sounds like he lead an an interesting life as a human.

Well, one of the things I tried to do with this chapter was to raise questions about how Heath knows these things. I picked deliberately a conspicuous skillset. And given that my personal headcanon for how the Mystery Dungeon universe ties into the main series continuity, MD Journal is set some twenty-five years after RBY/RSE, raising even more questions regarding why he would know swordplay. I know that classes are still offered (I've taken a few,) but it's not exactly common.

He certainly has a connection with the Hero, what that is I don't know. But his visions and the splices of conversation he's hearing sound like the Dimensional Scream ability.

...More on that later.

Is that the same as this song from PMD 2?

Yep, that's the one!

Now, I gotta get back to writing my own fanfic. It's been awhile since I've done anything in that department.

Knightfall signing off...;005;

Can't wait!

Azurus

The Ancient Absol
Dangit, I did miss an update, I think. Otherwise I would've responded.

Not much to say other than to hope Julius doesn't go ballistic when he finds out where he is.

Also he did overreact a little bit, the last thing you wanna do as a pokemon turned human is tell everyone your different. Maybe that's just me.

Looking forward to more.

Heya

Umm...is this story dead?.....it just there's been no action in about two months now and, looking back, that doesn't seem to have happened before....if its not dead then could I be on the pm list?

Cheers

SSP used teleport! WHOOSH!!

pokenutter

Warrior of Time
Heya

Umm...is this story dead?.....it just there's been no action in about two months now and, looking back, that doesn't seem to have happened before....if its not dead then could I be on the pm list?

Cheers

SSP used teleport! WHOOSH!!

Sorry about the wait, guys.

MD Journal is not dead. It's being worked on as we speak. I was putting it through an editor, and, well, to make a very long story short, I now have to work on the chapter from scratch. I'll do what I can to speed it out to you guys with the best quality that I can manage.

Once again, sorry for the delay.

JFought

Sloooowly writing...
I have to say, this is my 2nd favorite fanfic ever. Don't ask what the first is, I don't want to be criticized by the people the forums the story was posted on. Anyway, I'm making a word document of this fanfic and will post it on here when the story is finished. Is that ok with you?

pokenutter

Warrior of Time
I have to say, this is my 2nd favorite fanfic ever. Don't ask what the first is, I don't want to be criticized by the people the forums the story was posted on. Anyway, I'm making a word document of this fanfic and will post it on here when the story is finished. Is that ok with you?

Do you mean a word document of MD Journal?

JFought

Sloooowly writing...

pokenutter

Warrior of Time

pokenutter

Warrior of Time
November 22nd

I’m not sure where exactly I am. It’s a sort of dark void. I guess it’s similar to a number of my other dreams, but it’s... more eerie, I guess. A lot more empty.

Suddenly, from out of nowhere, color fills my vision. Brilliant hues of greens, blues, oranges, and a few colors impossible to describe. I squint my eyes shut, but after a few seconds, open them slowly, trying to figure out what’s going on.

Ah, here come the voices again- no... No, I’ve never heard this voice. It’s the only one, so there’s one weird part. The other weird part is that this one is familiar to me. How, I don’t know, but I recognize this voice. It’s like I’ve known the speaker for a long time, almost my entire life, like a friend, or even a family member.

The voice asks me questions, and I’m truthful when I answer them. The voice tells me... Something else. I can’t hear properly... The voice is fading, and then it vanishes...

The next thing I see is a pair of eyelids flicking open, and darkness on all sides.

I awaken surrounded by darkness.

My eyes pop open.

Was that... Was that me? Did I just watch my own entry into the Pokémon world? Who was that voice? They said something... What was it?

I wrack my brain to try and remember. Nothing. Come on, there has to be something!

I am about to roll back over and try to go back to sleep, but something stops me. A scratching has been sounding around the fireplace since I woke up. I sit up, and a surprised to see Kim next to the fireplace. She barely turns around, before going back to poking at the pitifully small embers of what remains of the fire.

“Ah, good. You’re awake.”

I shrug, “Uh, yeah, I guess. Kim, did you stay up all night in front of that thing?”

Kim shakes her head. “No. But I did wake up about an hour ago to find this thing barely functional. You and Julius are lucky that I did- you two could have frozen to death.”

We came that close?

“In any case, this isn’t going to last much longer. I’ve been lucky as it is, keeping this thing going. Unfortunately, the next things to go would be the beds, and I can’t exactly lift those up and toss those onto the fire. I need to go out to find firewood. That’s not all I need to do though, so I’ll drop that off before going to pick up food in the square. I’ll be gone for a while- do you think you can watch over Julius?”

I was afraid she’d ask that. Last night, Julius spent a good portion of his time recovering. Eventually, he was conscious enough to realize where he was, and who had rescued him. After that, he completely shut down. He wouldn’t speak to Kim or I, and he avoided eye contact. Eventually, Kim and I just left him to fall asleep on his own.

I wasn’t sure if I’d be able to spend an extended amount of time closed in a house with him. He seemed to be taking his grudge to unreasonable extremes, and I didn’t want to endanger either him or myself.

“Look, Kim, maybe it’s a better idea if-”

Kim silences me with a glare.

“One- I’m a fire-type. I can create fire using nothing but my breath. I’ll survive outside a lot longer than the two of you will. Two- bringing Julius in was your idea. Three- you said yourself that you wanted to bury the hatchet. Why not spend some time trying to talk to him? Bottom line, you have every reason to say behind while I run errands. Is that understood?”

Her words become harsh near the end, and I think she notices. She immediately backs off, and smiles nervously.

“Sorry, running on far less sleep than you are. Remember, I kept the fire burning after you and Julius passed out.”

I can see where she’s coming from, but I still don’t like it. I’m about to tell her as much, before she pokes at the fire once more, and the light almost flickers out.

“The longer we spend arguing about this, the lower the flame gets. Don’t argue, Heath. I’ll be back shortly. Re-apply some of the pitch glue after I leave, alright?”

I nod, realizing that she can’t be swayed. Kim heads for the door, removing the blanket before leaving. I pick it up off the floor, and am about to start re-attaching it when I hear movement behind me.

I turn around and notice Julius quickly returning to the position he was in a second ago. He’s awake; there’s no doubt.

“I saw that, Julius.”

Nothing. Of course. Hmm... How much did he hear? Was he awake when Kim mentioned me wanting to make up with him?

He remains silent, so I go back to trying to re-apply the glue. The second time around is a lot more difficult...

“I ran into Ampharos in town last week. He seemed kind of disappointed that he wouldn’t get a chance to go on a mission with us...”

No, no, bad topic. I don’t want to make it seem like I blame him. What’s a good topic of conversation that can’t be interpreted as a shot?

“Um, I started learning how to use moves from Zoroark yesterday...”

No, too desperate... If I’m going to make peace with him, I don’t want to grovel unless it’s absolutely necessary...

Half a million different conversation topics fly through my head. Madame Lucario and Jaroda. No, that could be considered allegorical... Where and how I found him. No, I don’t want it to seem like I think he owes me...

Stumped, I sit back, and look at the door. The blanket isn’t straight, but it’s close enough to be functional. I head back over to the fire. There has to be something I can do about this...

My gaze happens to wander over to Kim’s bed. Odd, didn’t she have a pillow? It takes me a minute to make the connection, but once I do, I head over to my bed, and toss the pillow into the embers.

The pillow almost snuffs them out completely, so I take it out, and slowly feed it back in. Gradually, the fire begins to return to the size it had the previous night.

I lay down by one side of the fire, and look back at Julius. There has to be a topic of conversation that I can start that won’t seem like it really means something else. Let’s see...

Out of nowhere, the taboo topic rises to my thoughts- how I kept my origin a secret. I immediately put that thought out of my head- that’s a guaranteed failure.

But what if..?

No, it’s a stupid idea. And yet, in spite of that, I find myself blurting out, “Julius, I’m sorry.”

No response. Well, that went slightly better than I expected. At least he doesn’t seem angry.

I go back to poking at the fire. This pillow is burning fast, and probably won’t last much longer than ten minutes. I hope Kim gets back with that firewood soon.

As if on cue, there’s a knock at the door. I walk over next to it and shout “Hello?”

“It’s Kim. I’ve got firewood.”

I pull the blanket off of the door and open it. Kim hands me a good four or five logs, and nods towards Julius.

“How’s it going?”

I shake my head. “Still nothing from him. I’m not sure what to say...”

Kim sighs. “Well, I hope you can figure it out.”

There’s not much I can say after that, so I nod, and then Kim heads off. I scramble to re-attach the blanket, doing what I can to make it at least look like it’s doing something. Afterwards, I pick up the logs, and am about to turn around, when-

“Tell me everything.”

I almost drop the logs I’m holding. I turn around, and see Julius lying in bed, looking straight at me.

“Julius? Um... What do you mean?”

At this point, I’ll take any conversation from him, no matter how strange.

“I’m giving you a chance to tell me the whole truth. I’ll decide if I can trust you afterwards. This is your only chance, though. If I decide that what you tell me doesn’t sound believable, or if I find out that you lied to me tonight, I’m not going to give you this chance again. I want to know everything about you, or at least as much as you know about you. That way, I can make the decision whether you seem trustworthy or not.”

What he’s saying does make some kind of sense... However, there are a few things bugging me about it...

“Why wait until now, Julius? If this is all you wanted...”

“I was never planning on this. However, you did bring me in from outside, so I might as well try.”

“Oh. Um, okay... Where do you want me to start?”

“Why don’t you start with what I already know? If you’re telling the truth, it ought to match up with what you told me.”

Okay, then... This isn’t what I expected. I would have liked him to be a bit less confrontational. Still, again, it’s conversation...

“Um... My name is Heath. Well, it might not be. Kim named me after finding me in the woods after both of us got out of a Mystery Dungeon. It might not be because I’m a human, somehow placed in the body of-”

“Stop. Slow down. Order your thoughts, and start over.”

I take a moment to think. He’s right, that sounded way more awkward than I intended. I take a deep breath, then speak.

“My name is Heath. I’m human. I don’t know how or why I ended up as a Totodile, and have amnesia concerning the events of my entire life before September 10th. Kim was the first person I met, and she named me. Not long afterwards, we met you and got tangled up in this rescue team business.”

“Okay, then, that matches up.”

Julius sits up, and turns to face me fully.

“You kept your humanity hidden. Why?”

“Because Kim told me that it was safer that way. Now, we both know that it doesn’t matter either way, but then, she seemed pretty concerned about it.”

“Did anyone else know? Besides Kim.”

“Madame Lucario knew, and Jaroda... coerced it out of me.”

“Anything else that you’ve kept hidden?”

“One thing- strange visions- well, I wouldn’t call them that. For the most part, they’ve been collections of sounds. Most of them reference Temporal Tower.”

Julius raises an eyebrow.

“Temporal Tower? Never heard of it.”

“Apparently, it’s a structure that keeps time flowing. Kim knows what it is. I really don’t. Anyway, last night’s was the only one that had any visual aspect to it. A lot of colors, and a voice that sounded familiar.”

Julius leans forward.

“Familiar, you say?”

“Yeah. It’s tough to explain... You know the recognition you have when you hear your mother’s voice? It was like that, but... different, somehow.”

“Maybe it was a memory surfacing from your human life?”

I think about it for a moment. Maybe that’s the case? If so, perhaps I’m starting to remember my human life? Wait, no, that can’t be it.

“That’s fairly unlikely. The last thirty seconds of it were reliving my first thirty seconds in this body.”

Julius thinks for a moment.

“...Didn’t Melchior mention some entity, or some being that put humans in Pokémon bodies, or something like that?”

“Briefly, but Madame Lucario hasn’t heard of anything remotely like that, and neither has anyone else in Quest Plaza. Kim and I spent some time searching around after we got back, but found absolutely nothing. If Melchior was around, I could ask him where he gets his information. You think that it’s involved with these visions somehow?”

“It could be. With the exception of last night’s vision, they could be a call to action of some sort.”

It takes me a moment to realize, but Julius has actually become less confrontational. He actually seems like he’s trying to help.

“Anyway, is there anything else?”

I think for a while before shaking my head. Julius sits back, and starts trying to tend the fire. It’s a moment before I speak.

“So, is that it? Are we friends again?”

Julius looks a tad annoyed as he responds.

“I have to think about it, Heath. All you’ve given me is information, not a concrete reason to trust you again. I have to add it all together, and think about what you’ve told me before I reach a decision.”

“That doesn’t seem fair.”

“Neither was withholding the truth.”

We’re both silent for a few minutes, and then a thought hits me.

“What about Kim?”

“What about Kim?”

“Well, you’re angry at her, too, right? Are you going to use this information to try and figure out if you should trust her, too? Or are you going to do the same thing with her?”

“Heath? Do you remember what Kim and I were like in the same room? Whether she and I trust each other is irrelevant- we don’t get along.”

Silence for a few more minutes. I decide to break the silence, and pull out my flute. I begin playing a tune to pass the time.

Before too long, the front door opens. Kim enters, and tosses Julius and I an apple each.

“So, have the two of you talked?”

Julius rolls back into his bed. I roll my eyes, and face Kim.

“Yeah, some. What’s it like outside?”

“Freezing. Light drizzles, too. Which, of course, means that it was a lot more difficult coming back. Oh, and the Kecleons mentioned something about a town meeting tomorrow. Totally optional to attend, but you and I are going, Heath. The topic of discussion is a plan in case the sun doesn’t come out.”

I know our chances of survival are negligible if the sun never comes back, but I keep my mouth shut. Instead, I ask another question.

“So, what errands were you running?”

Kim reaches into her bag, and pulls out a sheet of parchment.

“I poked my head into Madame Lucario’s. Aside from a few research notes, I also decided to retrieve your handprint, as well as her notes on it. I haven’t looked yet- I figured that it was better if you saw it first.’

I unroll the parchment, and look at it. At various points on the handprint, notes have been scrawled on in ink. Let’s see...

Long Life

Short Life

What?

Those two are located right next to each other. My handprint has contradictory lines on it? I scan the rest of the sheet. Misfortune. Good Luck. Again, located right next to each other. Happiness. Despair. Loveless. Everlasting love.

I hand it to Kim. “Is this normal?”

Kim stares at it, and does a double-take.

“No. Not remotely. Nobody ever has a single contradiction. You seem to have every contradiction in the book on your hands.”

She hands the parchment back. It’s only now that I notice some writing on the back.

Heath- I’m not sure what’s going on, but your handprint simply can’t be read. Sorry.

Silence for a few seconds.

“Um, anyway, Kim, what else did you pick up?”

Kim pulls a book out of her bag.

“The account of the Hero. You mentioned visions regarding Temporal Tower, so I figured you’d benefit from reading a historical account. Perhaps there’s an answer in here.”

She hands me the book. It’s a bit lighter than I would have hoped, but it’s still something.

Azurus

The Ancient Absol
Well I can understand why Julius doesn't trust him yet, that information seemed so simple and hardly any depth but I guess that's all Heath knows.
Well now, a print that can't be read, interesting indeed. I wonder what the heroes tale will reveal. Speaking of which, it seemed like a rather abrupt end to the chapter, like it should have continued to describe what was in the book.

Anyway, I look forward to another installment and keep up the good work.

Knightfall

Blazing Wordsmith
Well, there's not much I can say that I haven't already said to you before, but this was great regardless.

I feel that this is a turning point in the fic, or is this an ending of an arc?

Yeah, the ending is sort of abrupt, but I take the blame for that since I recommended you end it there.
I'm sorry for not trying to find a more suitable ending point, I failed as your reviewer there.

Looking forward to the next one.

Knightfall signing off ... ;005;

pokenutter

Warrior of Time
I feel that this is a turning point in the fic, or is this an ending of an arc?

It's a turning point, but the end of the Six Nights arc won't come until at least two chapters from now, assuming that I don't have any more ideas that I want to include. After that, the Trials arc begins, and with it comes a major plot twist that I've been building up to for some time.

Yeah, the ending is sort of abrupt, but I take the blame for that since I recommended you end it there.
I'm sorry for not trying to find a more suitable ending point, I failed as your reviewer there.

Believe me, if I had any doubts about it, I would have ignored that advice.

Darkened_Kingdra

Whatcha want?
Interesting fanfic. here we have a regular main PMD character and partner, but a completely different plot. I love your grammar a lot. I wonder if that Volcarona will be an important plot element later on... Subscription is comin' up!

Grav out and fly high, man...
§

pokenutter

Warrior of Time
The events after the collapse of Temporal Tower was averted are less clear to modern historians. What is known is that over the next few months, Team PokéPals were involved in the rescue of an explorer thought long-dead, bonded with a Manaphy, and met with the legendary Team Charm, who are the namesake for the modern “Charm Rank.” These events, however, paled in comparison to the significance of the battle at the Spacial Rift, where they would encounter Darkrai.

It’s been about two hours since Kim returned, and there’s been little development over that time. I’ve caught Julius staring at Kim or I when he thinks we’re not looking, but he always lies back down or looks into the fire intently if either of us notices him. Kim, meanwhile, has taken to tending the fire, and ignoring everything else.

I’ve been reading through this text, doing my best to ignore the fact that the author seems well-versed in every subject except for the hero. He can recite the complete history of the Wigglytuff Guild, prattle on about the defenses around the Time Gears during that era, and even talk about the sudden reappearance of Grovyle and Dusknoir, but he doesn’t even know what species the hero was, or what he was like in person.

I find myself beginning to nod off, bored at the fact that there’s nothing to do. Julius won’t talk, and Kim is somewhere between too tired to talk and having little to say anyway. There has to be something interesting that can be done around here...

Wait a minute, didn’t Zoroark only send us home yesterday because I had spent most of the day there? That’s what he seemed to indicate, although some of it could have come from the fact that he had three extra people in his house that might have wanted to stay the night.

I walk over to Kim, and sit down next to her.

“Kim? I’m sorry, but staying inside is driving me up a wall. May I borrow a slim piece of that firewood for use as a torch?”

Without flinching, Kim shakes her head.

“No. It’s colder outside now that it was yesterday. I actually felt discomfort at the cold earlier, and I know you hate those kinds of temperatures when they’re reasonable.”

“It would just be for a few hours. I wanted to head to Zoroark’s to train some more.”

“Heath, when I was going around earlier, I stopped at three separate peoples’ houses to warm up between stops. Even in the dead of winter, I never have to do that even once.”

“But if I keep the flame close to me-”

“You’ll likely end up setting yourself on fire. Trust me, it makes much more sense to lay low for now, and hope for the best.”

I try and come up with a counter-argument, but once again find that she’s right. I sit down, and try to continue with the book. It’s not exactly interesting, but it’s something...

I find myself nodding off fifteen minutes later. The book still doesn’t have anything remotely interesting to say. I suppose it’d be good for just about anything other period-specific information but...

I look over towards Julius, and wonder if he’d have any interest in talking. I move over next to him, and try and talk.

“Hey, Julius?”

Nothing. I shrug, and with nothing better to do, figure I can pass the time sleeping. Maybe I can figure out an answer to the visuals from last night.

It takes a while, but eventually, I find myself...

I know this place. I don’t know how, but I feel like I’ve been here before. In front of me is a long, glass floor. I can see far through the glass, and there appears to be a long spiral staircase leading far below, where a mountain points towards the heavens.

Also of interest is the trio of Pokémon standing near the center. I recognize one of them from one of my flashes of information as Palkia. To his left stands a Pokémon about two and a half feet high. Her stance reminds me of a dancer. Only one red eye is visible at any time through her hair, but both are definitely there. For some reason, no name comes to me.

The third one is a large, ten-foot-tall quadruped. A golden ring shines around its torso. The thing I notice most about this figure is the raw power it seems to radiate. Were I actually in its presence, I get the sense that the very air around it would feel powerful somehow. Even though I’ve never seen this creature or heard a description, there’s only one thing that this being could possibly be- Arceus.

Palkia, clearly angered about something leans forward, and bellows at the top of his lungs.

“Lift Wfusce! O fsgcsed hsfkoeeoij hsfkoeeoij di pcjd tiaj psf wvikojwdoij kyeslr.”

I take a minute to realize that I have no idea what was just said. I wonder if it’s a different language of some sort.

It’s only now that a name for the other Pokémon- Kirlia- comes to mind. The Kirlia steps forward.

“Ky Lift… Hlswes… Ps oe pwfklsee. Cjedwvls, yse, vcd pwfklsee. Vwffojq uijdwud aodp wjidpsf toedifdoij, ps aoll jsbsf vsuiks twjqsfice. Hlswes, lsd jy psfi lobs…”

Still nonsense, but the thing that catches me off guard is that the Kirlia speaks in the voice that I recognized in the last dream. What’s she doing here?

Arceus seems to understand, and appears to think it over, before nodding towards Palkia. Palkia bows, before speaking again.

“Ijus dps ecj fsdcfje, O aoll dwms ky vfidpsfe. As epwll tsedfiy od.”

For some reason, I feel an immense sense of foreboding at this event, as if I’m being threatened. Before I can try and puzzle out why, my vision goes black, and I hear the Kirlia’s voice cry out.

“Hcoum! Hwlmow oe uikojq rif yic! Fcj! Fcj we rwf we yic uwj, Pswdp! Idpsfaoes… Yic, wjt dps sjdofs aiflt aodp yic kwy-”

Snap!

I wake up, jolted by the sudden sound of the fire. Kim’s seated in front of the fire, still tending it. It doesn’t look like it’ll last much longer.

“You going to be going out for firewood again?”

Kim rolls her eyes. “Yes, Heath. No, you can’t come with me.”

“Kim, you know I could always ask Julius to tend the fire while we’re out.”

“No. If it’s anywhere near as cold as it was earlier, you won’t survive a trip into town.”

“If I stay close to you, it may not be as much of a problem. You won’t set me on fire if I do that.”

Kim thinks for a minute. “I’m really not going to be able to talk sense into you, am I? Tell you what- we’ll stand outside for two minutes. If you remain conscious and don’t beg to go back inside, I’ll take you with me.”

It seems like a sarcastic remark, but I’ll take it. “Sure.”

She seems genuinely surprised. “Er... That was more to make a point than anything else... But you know what? You aren’t going to listen, so maybe this’ll change your mind. Julius, take over.”

I nod, and Julius picks up the poker. Kim opens the door, and I follow her out. Immediately, I’m hit by a wall of frigid cold. I take a moment before moving forward, shivering like I never have before.

Kim stands a good fifteen feet away, and I struggle to reach her. There’s no wind, but there doesn’t need to be- I’m having trouble breathing until I get close. Even with Kim’s heat, there’s still enough cold to make it difficult to move. The seconds tick by, and Kim doesn’t say a word. I begin to lose track of time in my head- counting the seconds becomes a chore as my shivering interferes with the speed of my counting. Unable to do much else, I attempt to focus on the small bit of heat generated by Kim’s tail fire.

It seems like it’s been hours before I hear Kim speak.

“Heath? Are you alive?”

“...Y... Y... Ye...s...”

I didn’t realize how hard I was shivering. Kim moves closer, and eyes me.

“Are you sure you want to head into town through this? Or do you want to wait until the sun comes back?”

I’m honestly not sure now. On one hand, this is probably the only time in my life I’ve been this cold- I almost feel like I’m frozen in place. On the other hand...

“T...there’s... ev...every... re... re... reason...”

“We’re going back inside. I’ll see if Zoroark wants to come here. Is that fair?”

She doesn’t wait for an answer. Instead, she grabs my hand, and pulls me inside. She seats me in front of the fire, and looks Julius dead in the eye.

“Make sure he warms up. If you let him outside, I’m throwing you out with him.”

Kim leaves, and slams the door behind her. I’m still too cold to think, even in front of the fire...

It’s some time before I can think again. I turn and look at Julius.

“How’s the fire look?”

He grimaces. “It’s a good thing she left when she did- this is only going to last about an hour more. Did you make it through the two minutes?”

I realize that although she asked me about it, I don’t honestly know.
“Maybe. She could have asked me about it before the two minutes were up. One way or another, she made an executive decision that I’m pretty sure she was right about.”

Julius nods. “When it was warmer than it is now, I ended up passed out. I don’t think you’d do much better now.”

“I hope she’s not too angry with me. I did pester her about it.”

“Well, we’ll know when she gets back.”

I nod, and continue to warm up near what remains of the fire. The door eventually swings open, and Kim comes in with Zoroark, who appears to be in a state of extreme discomfort.

“I really hope you’re going to make this trip worth it, Heath. It just keeps getting colder and colder outside.”

Zoroark sits in front of the fire, and Kim adds the next few logs. Julius stands up, and actually speaks to her.

“You get some sleep. I’ll watch the fire.”

Kim seems taken aback, but nods, and curls up under a blanket. Zoroark leans towards the fire, and nods.

“Right. A small review of what you’ve learned so far...”

As Zoroark goes over the basics again, I notice that Julius seems to have started listening in. At around the halfway point, Zoroark has me find a basin, and he nods.

“Right. I don’t know if there’s a source of water around here, so we’re going to try something different. Allow me to test something real fast, though.”

He reaches behind him into his mass of hair, and pulls out the old Pokédex from before. He slaps it a few times, until it finally gives him the result he’s looking for. He scrolls past some of the data, and pauses right near the bottom. He looks over some information, and sighs.

“How did I not consider this? This explains the difficulty you’ve been having. Your ability isn’t Torrent- it’s Sheer Force.”

I raise an eyebrow. “What?”

“What do you know about abilities?”

“Well, I know what they are, and I know what Torrent does. Why isn’t it my ability?”

“Well, on occasion, you’ll come across a Pokémon with an unusual ability. When it happens for Totodiles, the ability is switched out for Sheer Force, which increases your attacking power, but removes additional effects.”

“So, the end result is?”

“A slight advantage for you. This means that when we haven’t been doing something wrong training you. As long as you go full force, you’ll be doing the move properly.”

I nod, and Zoroark smiles.

“This, of course, means that you’re ready to move onto the next step.”

Zoroark nods towards the basin.

“It’s empty now, but I don’t want you to use it as a source. This time, I want you to use it as a target.”

“What do you mean?”

“Try hitting it with water that you can’t see. It’s a similar principle to seeing the water before you attack- you’ll know it’s there. It’s just a matter of using it.”

I’m completely baffled as to what he means, but I focus on the ground around the basin. I don’t feel anything unusual, so I begin to focus inside the basin, around it, and above it. I can’t find anything that reads as usable water. I’m about to give up when Julius speaks up.

“You’re learning Water Pledge, right?”

Zoroark nods, and Julius continues. “Yeah, I’ve heard the attack explained before. Most Water-types I’ve seen using it try and focus on the ground, generally touching it as they do so. Not sure if that helps, or if it’s just a habit most of them develop. Why don’t you give it a shot?”

It can’t possibly be a bad idea. I place a hand on the ground, and focus on the ground immediately beneath the basin. Nothing. My attention is drawn far below ground, however. A few hundred feet below the basin, I sense groundwater. That’s what I have to use.

I focus on it, and try to move it upwards. It takes a second, and slowly begins to move. Over a few seconds, it slowly seeps through the layers of rock and soil towards the surface, and then bubbles futilely on the ground, several inches in front of the basin.

Zoroark slowly applauds. I turn to him, confused. “I barely did anything.”

“Nothing that can be used in combat. However, this is the most basic part of the move- the use of groundwater. With practice, you’ll be able to move it far faster, and with much more force. Think of this as a kind of bodybuilding- you think nothing of lifting an apple, but with the right kind of training, you can lift weights heavier than you are. This, of course, means that you’ll have to practice often, and rigorously. And with something like this, you can do it on your own.”

I nod, and am about to ask a question when he cuts me off.

“You can absolutely practice at the dojo, but I’d wait until the sun comes back. I’m barely able to move out there, and I have the advantage of fur. But then again, I hear that Kim’s already given you that lecture.”

I nod slowly, and Zoroark rises. “Well, I’m glad you’re ready to start on your own. In the meantime, though, I’ve got something cooking at home. It’d really ruin my day to find that my house has burned down.”

There’s a small bit of a chuckle at the end, followed by a look of genuine concern on his face. He leaves in a hurry afterwards.

It’s a few minutes before Julius speaks up.

“Speaking of things cooking, what do you have to eat?”

I realize that Julius hasn’t eaten anything all day, and come to think of it, neither have I. I begin to rummage around the room, looking for any bags Kim may have brought in when she was out. I eventually locate one, and open it up. Three apples sit at the bottom.

“I’ve got apples here, but there aren’t a lot of them. Do you still want one?”

Julius nods. “When Kim wakes up, we could always ask her to go out again.”

I’m about to toss him the apple when I hear a strange sound from outside. Kind of like a scratching with a low growl accompanying each scratch. I look over towards Julius.

“Do you hear that?”

Julius tilts his head. “Yeah. I don’t know anything that makes a sound like that. However...”

“However?”

“I remember that Raichu at the Link Shop was talking about strange sounds outside his house about a week ago. He said that they persisted for a few minutes, but ultimately stopped with no explanation. He didn’t see anything through his windows, so he never found out what was making the sound.”

“Did he mention any theories?”

“He thought it was some kind of prank, but I doubt anyone would risk going outside right now for a practical joke.”

I nod, and try to see out the windows closest to where the sound was emanating from. I don’t see anything, but... I can tell where it’s centered at. There just doesn’t seem to be anything connected to it.

Suddenly, I feel an ice cold shiver down my back, and back away from the window. Julius looks confused.

“Did you see something?”

“No. But... I think something might have seen me. What Ice- or Ghost-types are typically found in this area?”

“Some Gastly, a few Sableye, and a few Jellicent in a lake nearby for Ghosts. For Ice, we’ve got a Dewgong and a pair of Cryogonal.”

“No Froslass?”

“Not a one. Why?”

“Well... I felt a chill in here, and couldn’t see anything outside. That’s the only species I know of that overlaps the two types.”

“Heath. Turn around. Slowly.”

I freeze up. Julius’s voice comes with a sense of urgency, like a command. What can he see? I turn my head first, and catch a glimpse of movement from the window out of the corner of my eye. That’s all I see, but as it vanishes, I see Julius relax a little.

“Did you see a silhouette?”

“Yeah. Thing is, I don’t know what I saw.”

“...Do we wake Kim up?”

“Not unless whatever it is tries to get in. We might be okay in here, and in the instance that we are, I’d rather not wake her up for no reason.”

Julius nods, and the two of us focus our attention on the windows. As I begin to feel tired again, I look over to Julius. He’s about to drop off as well. I simply shrug.

“There’s no way we’ll see it if we’re tired. Why don’t we try to sleep?”

Julius nods, and settles down. He looks tense, but I understand.

Something we don’t understand is watching us.

pokenutter

Warrior of Time
November 23rd

I wake up slowly, at first unable to determine why last night was unusual. Two things immediately spring to mind- our watcher, and my dreams.

Julius and I stayed up very late, even after it felt as though the presence had disappeared. He and I both went to bed separately, but I’m sure those events kept him up a while.

And as for my dreams... Well, I don’t know why, but last night was entirely dreamless. It’s tough to say why, but it makes me anxious.

Julius and Kim are already awake, talking over a pair of apples. Well, at least they appear to be on speaking terms with one another, even if Kim seems annoyed by his presence. I stand, and Kim nods towards me.

“Good morning, Heath. Julius was just telling me about last night. You saw very little as well, right?”

I nod, and Kim sighs. “Well, if we’re lucky, it was just some prankster whose body was made to stand up to temperatures like outside. Speaking of which, that town meeting is today. I’ve changed my mind. Heath, you’re staying home.”

I nod, not willing to risk another near-death experience in the cold. She looks over at Julius.

“That goes for you, too. Alright?”

He shrugs. “Well, with any luck, the sun’ll be back soon. I mean, it’s not like it can stay out forever, right?”

Kim and I glance at each other. I start to speak, but Kim cuts in front of me.

“Julius, this has only happened twice before, and neither time lasted any more than fifteen minutes. We need to consider the possibility that this will last a long time- forever, even. We need to think about what that means for us, our living situation, if it’ll be possible to even survive. I mean, have you stepped more than ten feet away from the fire? The blankets around the walls are beginning to fail, and we’re losing heat. It’s becoming difficult even for me to move around outside.”

“Kim. Stop.”

There’s a considerable waver in his voice as he responds. It’s enough to silence Kim entirely, and she leans down in front of him.

“Julius, I’m sorry. There’s been a lot of talk around town- never mind. Just...”

She trails off, and sits down. There’s silence for a good long while, and the tension is thick enough to cut with a knife.

After about an hour of silence, Julius looks towards me.

“Heath, you still have that history book?”

“Yeah, but it’s not a very good-”

“I don’t care. I need something to read, and if you’re not going to read it, I might as well.”

Once he gets his hands on the book, he sits down and reads. Kim offers him some food, but he ignores her, focusing intently on his reading.

With nothing else to do, I lie down and try to sleep. It doesn’t come easily, but eventually I fade into unconsciousness.

Once again, I don’t have any dreams at all. I realize that I had been worried about them, but not having them felt wrong somehow, like I had just been robbed of something. However, immediately before I wake up, I’m fairly sure I hear a voice shouting something- a single word.

“Run!”

I wake with a start to see Kim staring at the fireplace. It’s not her usual stare- this one is more surprised. I stand, and look around her. Funny, the light coming in from the chimney is brighter than it should be. Wait a minute...

“Kim?”

“...Heath, I want you to pull the blanket off of the door. Don’t open it yet, but make it so the crack under the door is visible.”

I go and do so, and am amazed at what I see filtering in from below. It’s sunlight.

I’m about to yank the door open, but Kim grabs my arm.

“We could all be blinded if we suddenly brought that light in at once. Remember, you’ve been exposed only to firelight for two days. Open the door slowly.”

I pull it open very slowly, and slam it shut. I caught a glimpse of outside, and I know the sun’s out again. Unfortunately, I was just almost blinded by the light, and it hasn’t begun to warm up yet.

Kim and I begin the long, slow process of removing the blankets from the windows without blinding ourselves. As we do so, the weather outside steadily becomes warmer, until it feels much the same as an average November day.

Julius puts out the fire, and Kim opens the door. The three of us slowly exit the house, and take stock of the area around the house. Julius in particular seems happy to be outside again.

On a whim, I take a look around the back of the house, near where those sounds were coming from last night. The area looks undisturbed, in spite of the fact that it sounded like the side of the house was being scratched. No footprints, either.

Not knowing how to react to this, I join Kim and Julius near the front of the house.

“Do you want to head into town? We had to burn two of the pillows, and I assume we’ll need food.”

Kim nods so the three of us head into town together. Strange, we haven’t really done this since the incident with Melchior. It feels odd to have three people.

We eventually arrive in town, and Kim nods to Julius and I.

“You two can either meander by yourselves, or follow me around.”

Julius nods, and stands next to Kim. I, however, shake my head.

“There are some things I want to do. Is that alright?”

Kim nods, so I depart for the dojo. I’ve been interested in practicing Water Oath, and I’d feel better about it with a professional helping me out.

I turn a corner, and am surprised when I almost run headfirst into Ampharos. I skid to a halt, and he smiles.

“Heath! It’s been an age and a half! How’ve you been?”

“Freezing.”

He chuckles a little, and nods. “I guess it has been for everyone. Where are you headed?”

“Zoroark’s, actually. I’m learning how to use moves.”

He looks surprised. “You don’t know how?”

“Well, I didn’t. He taught me the basics of Water Oath, so I’ve got some of the fundamentals down.”

“Well, that’s good to hear. I happen to be heading in the same direction.” He tilts his head to the side, and I get a good look at his eye. It’s far better than it was at the hospital, but there’s still a considerable amount of scarring. “I’d like to avoid this in the future, so I’ve been taking lessons there. I might see about joining a rescue team sometime. That way, I could help keep people out of the kind of fix I was in.”

I shrug. “Well, we could go together if you’d like.”

He smiles and nods. “It’ll be a good opportunity to talk, as well. Speaking of which, I saw Julius and Kim walking together. It looked deliberate- are you two and he okay now?”

“Yeah.”

“So, is Team JUMP back together?”

“Well... I’m not entirely sure. We’re on speaking terms again, but he hasn’t mentioned anything about trying to start the team up again. I’ll ask him about it, if you’d like.”

“If you could, please. Remember, I still haven’t had the opportunity to go on a mission with you guys.”

I had forgotten that he had asked about that. “Well, perhaps you could go with Julius. You know, just in case he and I aren’t part of a team anymore.”

“Well, tagging along with a single explorer isn’t quite the same. It’s easier to end up as a gofer when you’re just helping a single person.”

We’re both quiet for a while, until we arrive at Zoroark’s. The door is wide open, and Zoroark is busy cleaning off the area around the fireplace, which appears burned. He looks up as we enter.

“Ah! Ampharos and Heath! What can I do for you? Ampharos, I assume you’re here for the same reason you always are.”

“Right. Are the targets in the normal place?”

“Yes. And Heath, you’re probably here concerning Water Oath. Head on down with Ampharos, and I’ll be down shortly.”

I nod, and the pair of us head downstairs. “Targets?”

“Yeah. I have to break as many targets as I can in as short a time as possible. Typically, I’d just use Shock Wave on them, but Zoroark started getting clever with them. Shock Wave pushes them onto the ground, but the second they touch the ground, they pop back upward. I have to physically break them. It’s more speed training than anything else.”

I’m about to reply, when I suddenly trip over my own feet. I lose my balance, and close my eyes, bracing myself to fall down the stairs.

I fall jaw-first onto perfectly level ground.

In surprise, I open my eyes again. I’m... outside? How did I get outside?

I pick myself up, and look around. I’m in one of the alleyways in Quest Plaza. Ampharos is standing some twenty feet to my left, as opposed to directly to my left.

“Heath? What just happened?”

“I... don’t know. What were you doing just a second ago?”

“You tripped, and I looked away.”

“You and I had our eyes averted. Don’t Mystery Dungeons teleport you around if you’re unaware that you’re inside one?”

“Yes, but Mystery Dungeons don’t just open up at random. They don’t expand, either. At least, not unless they’re close to another one.”

“How is one created?”

“Well, I haven’t done much reading on the subject, but based on what I do know, it tends to be when multiple spatial distortions cluster in one area. At the same time, though, it’s entirely possible for a single distortion to mimic the effects of one.”

“So... what does that mean?”

“There might be some kind of spatial distortion in the area. We can move out of it if we move far enough away from it. The thing is, we’d need to move in a straight line, and keep our eyes fixed on the same general area. After that, we’d have to get Palkia down here, and see if he can do anything about it. The tough part is finding someone who knows how to contact him.”

“Well, Violet-eye Melchior is always an option. He’s in Sylvan normally, right?”

“That’s if you can get ahold of him. I heard about how you managed to get a letter to him quickly- that was luck. I hear he disappears for long periods of time, often for unexplained reasons.”

“Ah. So... we just keep moving forward?”

“Yes. As long as we don’t have to make too many turns, we can trust that we’re moving out of it.”

This seems reasonable, so he and I begin to move forwards in as straight of a line as we can. Out of the corner of my eye, I can see that he has his head pointed in the same general direction I have mine.

We continue like this for a while, as we’re lucky enough to encounter very few forks. Ampharos has a very good memory, and keeps track of how many times we’ve turned left and right. I get the sense that he’d be a decent navigator.

Before too long, however, we arrive at another fork, and Ampharos takes a moment to count the turns we’ve made.

“Uh-oh. We’re even for left and right turns. Which direction do we go?”

Before I can offer a suggestion, there’s a loud scraping sound off to my right. Ampharos and I turn and look- a split second apart. After I get a look and see absolutely nothing (somehow,) I turn around, and, predictably enough, find myself completely alone.

Or perhaps not. I catch something flitting out of view out of the corner of my eye. It’s not Ampharos- it’s the wrong shape and color. Perhaps it’s Zoroark? Whether it is or isn’t, it’s something to follow.

I chase after it, catching fleeting glimpses of it around corners. I’m certain it isn’t Zoroark now. It’s a much darker color, and its legs come to points rather than actual feet. I haven’t seen much more than that, however.

Before too long, I turn a corner, and discover a dead end. Where’d that figure go? I move forwards, and investigate the wall in front of me. It’s completely solid. Did that figure climb over it?

There’s an abrupt drop in temperature immediately behind me, and I turn around quickly. Behind me is the figure I was following. Or... I’m not exactly sure it could even be described as a figure. It appears to be made up entirely of pitch-black shadows. Even more bizarrely, the wall behind it appears bent somehow, like it’s been twisted out of shape.

The shadows themselves are reminiscent of a man wearing a long, triangular hat. The shoulders are shaped similarly to the hat, and both of them appear to flow, as if caught in a nonexistent wind. Its appearance is somehow terrifying to me, and I try and press myself into a corner to get away from it.

It slowly moves its head to look towards me. I can’t see any eyes on it, but I can tell that it’s staring at me. It begins to make a growling sound as it slowly advances. In spite of the fact that I should be thinking about a dozen more practical things right now, I realize immediately that this is the same sound that I was hearing from outside last night.

It reaches a hand towards me, and suddenly, there’s an image plastered over my vision. I barely have time to comprehend the sight of a Charmander and Treecko fighting another Pokémon similar in shape to the shadow I’m cowering in fear from when the noises start. An unearthly shriek, followed up by multiple snarls. A ringing in my ears begins as the image changes to the pair of Pokémon from before watching Palkia confront this Pokémon.

The ringing increases in volume, and I attempt to clap my hands over my ears to drown out the sound. For whatever reason, I can’t. The image changes along with another shrieking sound sounding through the alleyway, this time to the image of some kind of portal shattering. That shriek is the last thing I hear, before the ringing reaches a deafening crescendo, and I black out.

Last edited:

Azurus

The Ancient Absol
The sun is back but I feel, not in the normal way. I think the town has turned into an advanced Mystery Dungeon at the hands of these shadowy figures. Very interesting indeed and it's good to see the group co-operating again.

Looking forward to another chapter, if this was posted a few days ago, then it would be voted for most suspenseful (that I've read)
Again, keep up the good work.

Last edited:

pokenutter

Warrior of Time
November 24th

My eyes flicker open. It takes me a moment to recognize where I am, partly due to slight disorientation from... whatever happened before I passed out, but also due to how long it’s been since I last looked at the ceiling here.

Madame Lucario’s tent hasn’t changed very much since the last time I was here. Well, Jaroda’s still recovering here, but that appears to be the only major change. He nods as I sit up.

“Heath.”

I stand and nod back towards him. “What happened?”

“We’re still trying to find out. There was a tremendous shrieking sound and a flash of multicolored light. Then, Ampharos fell through Raichu’s roof, and you showed up behind here. What happened to you?”

He doesn’t seem threatening at all. It takes me a moment to realize why, but he has his fear aura turned off. I shrug, and decide to be completely honest with him.

“Somehow, a mystery dungeon opened up near us. We wandered, and got separated. Then, this shadowy thing attacked me.”

“Shadowy thing? What did it look like? Do you remember?”

I describe it to him, and he blinks in confusion. “That sounds like nothing I’ve never heard of. It almost sounds like a Darkrai, but you mentioned that it was made entirely of shadows. I know of very few Pokémon that can assume a shape like that, and Darkrai isn’t one of them.”

“It can’t?”

“Well, not in its own shape. In any case, are you okay?”

“Y...Yeah...” I reply, as I realize that it’s completely true. I have no injuries of any kind, Beyond that, though, I actually do feel really good. Like, absurdly good; better than I’ve felt in a very long time. I haven’t a clue why.

I decide that it’s better to worry about that later and change the subject. “Is Ampharos alright?”

“I heard that he suffered a few bruises and splinters, but he’ll be fine. He’s pretty lucky that he appeared above where Raichu put his bed.”

So Ampharos is fine, too. “How long was I out?”

“Sixteen hours. It’s strange; you seemed to be having some kind of nightmare. That almost gives some credence to the Darkrai argument, but again, its shape was wrong. Do you remember any of your dreams?”

“None. I usually remember them, but not these past few nights.”

He nods, and I suspect that he’s about to ask another question when Madame Lucario enters the room. She takes one look at the pair of us talking, and shakes her head.

“I’m very sorry if he’s said anything to upset you, Heath.”

I raise an eyebrow. “We were just talking. What do you mean?”

Jaroda scoffs. “You really haven’t let that incident go, have you?”

“Would you?”

“Tough call. I really can’t say.”

A touch of his fear aura lingers around those words, but Madame Lucario doesn’t seem to notice it at all. I’m about to ask about this, but then I realize- Lady Christine mentioned that the fear aura is actually aura manipulation. As an aura-sensitive species, Madame Lucario must be immune.

She nods towards me. “Kim says that she’d like you to come back when you’re feeling better. Don’t feel like you need to leave immediately, though. I’m about to serve tea.”

“Tea? What time is it?”

“About four.”

“I thought Jaroda said I was out for sixteen- Oh, right. Mystery Dungeon.”

“Mystery Dungeon? Care to explain?”

I tell her the same thing I told Jaroda, and she nods, thinking a bit.

“Well, at least you’re unharmed. Anyway, would you like to stay for that?”

I nod, and am about to ask how Kim is doing before an impulse hits me. “Um, Madame Lucario? Last time I was here, you gave me an aura reading, right?”

“Yes. I couldn’t make out much, but I gave conclusions based on what I could. Why?”

I decide not to mention that her conclusions told me basically nothing. “Well, I wanted to know if time can change anything about the clarity of an aura reading.”

“It can. In your case, I’d guess that by now your aura’s chosen a color, and that could make your fate easier to read. Do you want me to read your aura? If you do, it will not be free this time. It’ll be 30 Poké. Is that alright?”

“I don’t have any cash on me...”

Jaroda speaks up. “Yes, you do. Your balance is now 36 Poké.”

Madame Lucario shrugs. “As long as you can pay that thirty, I have no problem with it.”

She motions over to the table, and the pair of us sit down. A thought occurs to me, and I look over at Jaroda.

“Will he be able to see what we can?”

“Only if both of us want him to. Why?”

“Well, I don’t know. I don’t know him too well, and I doubt he knows much about aura reading, being a banker...”

He shakes his head. “My forte is manipulation, Melanie’s was reading, and Melchior’s was combat. Unless you want to be terrified throughout the reading, I won’t be of much use to you.”

Madame Lucario nods, and I hold my hands out. She grips them, and there’s a bright flash. I’m surrounded in a zone of light grey. Madame Lucario begins looking around.

“A stately silver. I can work much better off of this.”

“What exactly does aura color mean?”

“With the exception of black and white, it’s unknown. White is amnesiac or newborn, and it means that the owner has little to no developed personality. Black is dead or pure evil. I’ve never seen one before.”

“Can aura color change?”

“In most cases, no. Auras can become black, but they can never return to normal afterward. Aside from that, color change is completely impossible.”

“So, what’s so workable about silver?”

“Well, it’s a color. Since it’s so close to white, at least compared to every other color, much is still concealed. As such, it also means much less is sure. You see much the same for yellow auras. The difference is mostly in temperament- yellows are usually much more extroverted than silvers.”

“So, it’s a combination of personality and clarity of destiny?”

“Usually. Then, there’ll be the occasional person who flies in the face of his or her aura color- Kim is a purple, and Jaroda’s a red. Silver makes sense for you, though.”

She chooses not to elaborate, and moves over to a wave on a nearby wall.

“Hmm... Something about you is hidden from yourself. You’re starting to question yourself, and that makes this wave more visible.”

“Can you tell what it is?”

“Sadly, no. It’s not related to your personality, or your innermost thoughts; if it was, I could probably tell you.”

She moves to another wave. “This one here is interesting- let’s hope there’s no contradiction to it later on. It says that there’s a moment of truth in your very near future. Perhaps it’s related to the last one?”

She moves along, and picks out another. She stares at it a moment, and shakes her head.

“Kim and Julius are good friends, and they’ll listen if you need someone to talk to.”

She is about to move on, but I interject. “What does it say?”

“...Tragedy, mourning, possibly depression. It hasn’t happened yet, but it will.“

“Does it give any details about it?”

“Not by itself. But its proximity to this one-”

She motions to another.

“-indicates that you have met the messenger before. That one means that you’ll meet a familiar face again shortly.”

She moves to another one, and looks it over. “Disturbing dreams?”

“Well, not last night or yesterday, but unusual ones before then...”

“They are important. Do not disregard them, nor the fact that they have vanished. I won’t ask you to explain them, but keep them in mind.”

She moves over to one of the ones that remain, and looks it over.

“A friend that you do not know you have...”

She draws a line with her finger to another nearby one.

“...Is going to become very significant to you.”

“How? Like, in a friendly way, or romantically?”

“The former. Romance is a differently-shaped wave. I do not see that one here...”

She moves to one of the remaining two, and taps it.

“A nemesis. One that is unknown to you? Unusual. And this here...”

She points to the last.

“...is an ally. The antagonist and ally are linked in some way. How, your aura cannot tell me how.”

The silver void around me dissipates, and I’m sitting in Madame Lucario’s tent again. Jaroda is staring intently at the pair of us.

“Did it go well?”

I shrug. “Well... It was something.”

He chuckles. “Don’t worry. If there’s one thing her practice sessions taught me when I was younger is that Aura is far better at detecting the bad parts of your future than anything else.”

“Why is that?”

Madame Lucario speaks over Jaroda. “Because it detects major changes, and bad changes affect more than good changes, usually. With rare exception, good luck serves to keep your life’s situation going the same way that it currently is, and bad luck shakes it up.”

I nod, and realize that it’s getting rather late. “I have to go. Kim is probably waiting on me.”

Madame Lucario and Jaroda nod, and I depart. It’s starting to get slightly cold, and I begin to rush home.

I’ve barely made it into the square when I hear the tearing sound. It sounds like paper being shredded, with a sound of emptiness behind it. I turn around, and am shocked to see the space some twenty feet behind me appear to slash itself open.

A titanic, light purple foot slowly moves out from behind it. The thirteen-foot owner of the appendage shortly follows, and before long, Palkia stands in the center of Quest Plaza.

There’s a moment of absolute silence at his entrance, and then a number of passerby take off. Much like everyone else, I’m not sure how to react. Some start to run, but slow to a stop. Some shout in surprise, but do nothing afterwards. Then there are those like me, who simply can’t think of anything to do, and just stand still.

He doesn’t move at first. Then, there’s a sound like glass shattering, and another Pokémon steps out of the air on one of the other sides of the square. This one is quadrupedal, with a grey body, a red stomach, and yellow spines all over his body. It takes a second, but I recognize the newcomer as Giratina.

Finally, a sound like thunder as a blue ball of energy opens on one other side of the square. It shrinks into the last member of the trio, Dialga.

The three of them look around the square, and Dialga speaks in a thundering voice.

“Brothers. It is here.”

I’m somewhat surprised to note that Dialga is female. Didn’t the book say that Dialga was male?

The two nod, and begin to scan the few of us that haven’t run. Giratina leans down towards one of the Kecleons, and his eyes glow. The pair of them regard him with a mix of awe and fear as he looks away, and his eyes return to normal.

“Their antimatter is consistent with their mass. Dialga, what about in your area?”

Dialga’s eyes glow, and she looks around at her surroundings.

“...None of them. All have timestreams of at least three months. None younger than seven years.”

Palkia looks down at the group of five or six of us, and I begin to seriously wonder who or what they’re looking for. Palkia’s eyes glow, and he sweeps his eyes over us, pausing at each individual, until he arrives at me.

“This one. This is the abomination.”

What?

“Excuxe m-”

He grabs me before I can finish me question, and tears another rift in space, dragging me through. I struggle against his grip, but he’s several times my size. It’s only a few seconds later that I realize that we’ve arrived at our destination.

It’s the same glass-floored temple I saw in my dream a few nights ago. Arceus isn’t here, but I get the sense that he’s probably too busy for... whatever it is that’s going on now.

Palkia roughly drops me on the floor, and I stand up, turning to face him.

“What’s going on?”

When Palkia responds, it’s in a much louder voice that I’ve ever heard any other being speak.

“YOU WILL BE SILENT.”

“Not until I know what’s going on. You abducted me. Why?”

“YOU WILL BE SILENT.”

“I already told you. I want to know what’s going on, and I’m not going to quiet down until then.”

Palkia leans down next to me, and states in what could almost be described as a whisper, “Let me put it like this. You will be silent, and wait for my brother and sister to arrive, or I will execute you on the spot. Is that understood, abomination?”

That’s the second time he’s called me that, and I’m not sure why. Still, I’m not going to risk his fury to try and find out.

Dialga arrives first, and Giratina some twenty minutes later. Palkia nods as they enter, and they all stare at me. I suppose I’m allowed to talk now.

“Um... What am I here for?”

Dialga shoots Palkia a look. “It’s clearly confused. Why was it not informed?”

“It will be dead shortly. Whether it dies aware of its situation or not matters little to me.”

They want to kill me?

Giratina interjects. “Whether the outcome of this meeting goes as you expect or not, there is still a matter of protocol. When an abomination such as this is sentient, it is proper to tell it why it has been sentenced to death.”

I speak up. “Why do you want me dead?”

Palkia turns to face me. “You are obviously unaware of your menace. Very well. I shall inform you.”

He leans in close again, and speaks. “You, abomination, are a tear, a distortion in the fabric of space and time.”

I’m about to shout a protest, but then it hits me- Melchior said the same thing, but went back on it when he discovered I was human.

“No, no, you have it all wrong. Apparently, when a human is turned into a Pokémon, there’s some kind of distortion-”

“AROUND the body, yes. However, there is no body for the distortion to center around. My eyes see only a distortion.”

The words hit me like a sledgehammer. That can’t be right, can it? I know I’m human. It was the first thing I knew about myself- there’s an idea.

“If I’m not human, how can I remember skills from my human life?”

“Destiny acted on your behalf.”

“I’m sorry, what?”

“DESTINY ACTED ON YOUR BEHALF! NOW, Brother and Sister, what do we do about this one?”

Dialga speaks up. “His timeline ends in two days. Far shorter than predicted. I recommend we drop him off after the third extinction, where he can’t harm anything.”

Palkia turns around, and shrugs. “Or perhaps we can prevent him from PROFANING THE UNIVERSE AROUND HIM BY KILLING HIM HERE AND NOW!”

I’m not sure what occurs after Palkia’s outburst. Everything else in the room ceases to matter as I try and think. No luck. Every time I come up with an inkling of an idea, I hear Kim mentioning that no one has contradictory lines, or Lady Christine telling me my soul is strange for a human one. Is there any way I can prove to them that they’re wrong?

Any way I can prove to myself that they’re wrong?

Before long, I feel Palkia touching my shoulder. He looks me dead in the eye, and speaks.

“Abomination-”

I hear myself mumble “...I’m Heath...”

“Fine, then. Heath, you are an abomination of space and time. If you are not removed from existence in two days, you will destabilize, and cause a black hole, which will certainly wipe out all of the world. For the sake of the world, I hereby execute you in the exalted name of Arceus.”

He holds his arm back, and it begins to glow blue, whirring as it does so. I close my eyes, realizing that I can’t fight against him. Even if I could, he has help...

I hear the sound increase to a near deafeneing roar, before a voice speaks in my head.

How about no?

The sound fades, and I open my eyes.

I’m alive?

Palkia has heard it as well, and he’s looking behind him. The Kirlia from my dreams is standing behind him.

“YOU WOULD DARE-”

Interfere with a needless death? I should hope so.

“NEEDLESS?”

Yes. In fact, counter-intuitive. You have no idea what you’re doing.

“EXCUSE ME?”

In fact, Lord Arceus has given me permission to do as I will in this matter. You are not necessary. You may leave.

I’m confused. Am I going to live?

Palkia growls at her. “Are you even AWARE what it’s CAPABLE OF?”

Yes. And I think that I also know more than you do in this particular matter. If you stick around any longer, I will alert Arceus to the fact that you’re interfering in my work.

Palkia looks like he’s about to argue, but turns towards Dialga and Giratina after a moment.

“You will tell me if any of your agents come across more of these things.”

He tears a hole in space, and leaves through it.

The Kirlia turns to face me as the other two depart. So, Heath. You wanted answers, right?

“Um... Yes? I think?”

Then follow me.

Azurus

The Ancient Absol
So a Kirlia is in charge? Well, at least someone of great import? Interesting, however it was to be expected that Heath would still live since he's the main character.

Looking forward to what Kirlia has to say and of course, another chapter.