• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Pokemon Mystery Dungeon Rescue Team DX Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Zoruagible

Lover of underrated characters
Man, I'm not a fan of the game automatically hovering over No.
Just bought my first item from a dungeon shop, smacked 'No' thinking I was doing 'Yes' and proceeded to get the stuffing kicked out of my team!
Thankfully all I had was the 100 coin for the item as I spent it all on camps, but all my reviver seeds were gone. Have to stock up on those again for the boss fight

Eevee lasted FAR longer than I thought she would. She only died cause she got corned and eventually smacked with a Brick Break, they were using a lot of Ghost attacks on her

Bguy7

The Dragon Lord
Finally, I hit some real difficulty in this game in Magma Cavern. Spent two hour and four attempts at the dungeon, all failures. And this is even in a dungeon where you can recruit an army. As odd as it sounds, I'm very pleased, as this game has felt way easier than it should.

Pikasaur

Lazy Summer
Got the game last night, even though i can go back to my 3DS and play the original :p

Tried the quiz 3 times and got Meowth, Skitty, and Cubone.

Which is surprising since i used to always get the water types or Cyndaquil

Flamer

Bought the game over the weekend.

Got Eevee as my starter from the quiz, but selected Charmander instead and went for Squirtle as my partner. Played through the first few parts of the story, rescuing Caterpie, Magnemite and then Diglett from Skarmory. Now have the ability to purchase camps and recruit Pokemon, so looking forward to building up my team.

Loving the art style of the game. Think this could actually be my favorite looking Pokemon gave ever. The Pokemon models, background and dungeons themselves are all gorgeous.

PsychoIncarnate

I got Cyndaquil, but I picked Squirtle. I was planning on having Cyndaquil as my partner.

Right now I use Squirtle, Cyndaquil, and Magnemite the most. Magnemite's signal beam has been surprisingly strong with how far it can reach

Zoruagible

Lover of underrated characters
Hahaha.
It's fun amassing an army AND using a Help orb as well to top things up. Zapdos didn't even stand a chance!

I honestly didn't care it was easy, can't recruit Zapdos first go anyways, it was hilarious seeing us literally destroy him!
I do need to find a good TM for Eevee that gives her a different Type of attack though as Normal is slowly starting to hurt her performance

Bguy7

The Dragon Lord
Well, after saying that I finally hit difficulty with Magma Cavern, I then proceeded to beat it in my next try, then go on to beat Sky Tower and Rayquaza on my first try. I wouldn't necessarily call it easy, since Rayquaza was super down to the line, after I used my stock of five Reviver Seeds, five Oran Berries, and to Revive-All Orbs. One more Twister or Hyper Beam would have doomed me, but I managed to win just in the nick of time. Also, that means I beat every single boss in this game without having to try a second time. It's only the dungeons before the bosses that I fell to.

The fight with Rayquaza was fun. I liked the added elements of the windstorm. It wasn't quite as fun as Dark Matter's tactical moves in Super Mystery Dungeon, but it still added a nice bit of change to the fight, stopping it from feeling purely like attacking a damage sponge over and over. I'll admit though, I was little disappointed that this fight wasn't against Mega Rayquaza. When compared to Primal Dialga, the Bittercold, and Dark Matter, Rayquaza is a little lame, seeing as it's just a normal Pokemon, unlike the others. At least it Mega Evolving would have made it a little more special.

What disappointed me even more was Rayquaza's music. I love the original, it's my favorite track in the game, and I was really looking forward to hearing a modern remix. But for some reason it sounds almost exactly the same as the original. It's sound quality is made better, but it still sounds like the same synthetic instruments. A pseudo-orchestral rendition could have been so good. Alas, it wasn't meant to be. For whatever it's worth though, I loved the Sky Tower remix, that was really good.

Anyways, as far as the game as a whole goes, it's like I said in the beginning: the game definitely shows its age in many places, but is still a great experience overall. I'm a little disappointed that it only took me 16 hours to beat the game, as I prefer games to last at least 20, but once again, it's the age. That's just what happens when you take a Game Boy Advanced game and make it easier. Also, the art style never won me over, but I at least got used to it enough to not be bothered. Regardless, I still had a great time. Best Pokemon spin-off game since Super Mystery Dungeon (not that there's much competition).

Looking forward to actually playing the post game, as I gave up pretty fast in the original.

And here's to hoping I don't have to wait another five years to play the next Mystery Dungeon game. (Explorers DX, make it happen!)

Pikasaur

Lazy Summer
I might be able to agree a little about these games being easier.

When a pokemon asks "Bring me Big Apple on floor 5" for example. Did they always put the item right next to the pokemon that wants it?

Twice now a pokemon has asked for something and when i get to the dungeon one is right next to them.

Bguy7

The Dragon Lord
Huh, so I know remember why I never really made it that far into the post-game of Blue Rescue Team. The difficulty dramatically increases. Don't get me wrong, I crave that difficulty, but it is a little annoying not being able to do anything new for however long while I grind to get strong enough to actually do the new stuff.

On the bright side, it would seem that the item and enemy radar actually is off for post-game dungeons. It's a but random. Not really sure why they would implement during the main game to begin with, just to take it off once you get used to it, but hey, I'm cool with that.

I saw a shiny Ampharos in Sinister Woods... But it didn't join me. That's the one I want too

For whatever it's worth, Shiny Pokémon aren't the same ultra rare things they are in the main series. I don't know exactly what the odds are, but finding one is not all that rare. The challenge is in recruiting them, rather than finding them.

Sceptrigon

Armored Legend
Music isn't all that better either - it's basically higher-quality MP3 of the original MIDI tracks with a handful having a few extra instruments such as Friend Area: Cave, while the boss music is unchanged
What disappointed me even more was Rayquaza's music. I love the original, it's my favorite track in the game, and I was really looking forward to hearing a modern remix. But for some reason it sounds almost exactly the same as the original. It's sound quality is made better, but it still sounds like the same synthetic instruments. A pseudo-orchestral rendition could have been so good. Alas, it wasn't meant to be. For whatever it's worth though, I loved the Sky Tower remix, that was really good.

The music is probably the main thing I’m disappointed in for this game. I was looking forward to the music being more orchestrated, but instead they sound almost exactly identical to the original, chiptune sounds and all. But any subtle differences I noticed were pretty great, like the vocals in Mt. Thunder. I sort of wished the music overall was more like the orchestrated remixes I listened to from YouTube, but in the end, I guess I do appreciate the amount of faithfulness this remake has to the original.

I might be able to agree a little about these games being easier.

When a pokemon asks "Bring me Big Apple on floor 5" for example. Did they always put the item right next to the pokemon that wants it?

Twice now a pokemon has asked for something and when i get to the dungeon one is right next to them.

I think I recall this also happening in Super. I don’t really see it as a problem personally, since there seems to be lots of Pokémon that randomly appear on floors that need food when you don’t expect it. At times, I’d prefer not to go out of my way to bring along a bunch of apples just for these Pokémon. I would also ignore them when I’ve already befriended lots of team members while going through dungeons.

Huh, so I know remember why I never really made it that far into the post-game of Blue Rescue Team. The difficulty dramatically increases. Don't get me wrong, I crave that difficulty, but it is a little annoying not being able to do anything new for however long while I grind to get strong enough to actually do the new stuff.

My team got wiped out when facing Zapdos in the post-game, so I’m not looking forward to fighting these legendaries any time soon. Good thing the Illusory Grotto popped up so I could get more Reviver Seeds.

Pikasaur

Lazy Summer
I think I recall this also happening in Super. I don’t really see it as a problem personally, since there seems to be lots of Pokémon that randomly appear on floors that need food when you don’t expect it. At times, I’d prefer not to go out of my way to bring along a bunch of apples just for these Pokémon. I would also ignore them when I’ve already befriended lots of team members while going through dungeons.

At least now i can sell most of the Cheri and Pecha Berries in my storage.

Always kept a few for these quests, but if they are gonna just hand them to us there's no reason to.

Speaking of Super PMD, i just remebered i was going to look up a list of "Returning" characters. :D

Bolt the Cat

Bringing the Thunder
Yeah, the difficulty really spikes at Magma Cavern. Once enemy Pokemon start using AoE moves, your team can get wiped out in an instant (they really need to nerf those moves, being able to attack you from pretty much anywhere on the floor is ridiculously OP). I just barely squeezed through Magma Cavern but then I got to Sky Tower and even after I brought about 10-15 Tiny Reviver Seeds and 4 Reviver Seeds, I only made it to 25F. Yikes.

Bguy7

The Dragon Lord
Speaking of Super PMD, i just remebered i was going to look up a list of "Returning" characters. :D

The answer is pretty much everybody.

I just barely squeezed through Magma Cavern but then I got to Sky Tower and even after I brought about 10-15 Tiny Reviver Seeds and 4 Reviver Seeds, I only made it to 25F. Yikes.

Oh, wow. I only took something like four or five Tiny Reviver Seeds and made it through with minimal trouble. I was little disappointed by how not difficult it was. Perhaps I just got lucky.

Bolt the Cat

Bringing the Thunder
Oh, wow. I only took something like four or five Tiny Reviver Seeds and made it through with minimal trouble. I was little disappointed by how not difficult it was. Perhaps I just got lucky.

It's the Masquerains spamming Ominous Wind that's really the killer (also the occasional Ledian using Silver Wild, but Masquerain is a lot more common). Again, really OP since they can hit you from pretty much anywhere on the floor and it hurts hard. My guess is either you were lucky enough to not suffer a ton of those, your defenses were high enough to withstand it, or you had a favorable typing that made it less painful (do you have any Normal types on your team?).

PsychoIncarnate

I just beat Groudon and they are talking about Rayquaza next. I actually haven't caught any of the pokemon I wanted to use yet, so I'm just using Squirtle, Cyndaquil, and Magnemite still.

Bguy7

The Dragon Lord
It's the Masquerains spamming Ominous Wind that's really the killer (also the occasional Ledian using Silver Wild, but Masquerain is a lot more common). Again, really OP since they can hit you from pretty much anywhere on the floor and it hurts hard. My guess is either you were lucky enough to not suffer a ton of those, your defenses were high enough to withstand it, or you had a favorable typing that made it less painful (do you have any Normal types on your team?).

My team was Charmander and Pikachu and I never went out of my way to strengthen my defense, so I wasn't really protected defensively, but I did have an offensive advantage, I suppose. Whenever I saw one, I would get into position to defeat it from a range with Flame Burst as soon as possible.

Bolt the Cat

Bringing the Thunder
My team was Charmander and Pikachu and I never went out of my way to strengthen my defense, so I wasn't really protected defensively, but I did have an offensive advantage, I suppose. Whenever I saw one, I would get into position to defeat it from a range with Flame Burst as soon as possible.

Ah okay. Yeah, Flame Burst should take care of them easily. I'm playing as Pikachu and Treecko and I don't really have a long range Electric attack that can take them out (and it doesn't look like Pikachu can learn any). Treecko does have Dragon Breath, but that doesn't have a type advantage.

Also sidenote, I hate the autosaving in this game, it doesn't let you SR if things don't go your way. I ran into a Monster House in Magma Cavern and didn't have a One-Shot Orb to take it out, so I tried resetting the game to start the dungeon over... only for it to respawn me right back in the middle of that Monster House. So basically you're screwed if you're not properly equipped for the dungeon ahead of time.

Last edited:

Bguy7

The Dragon Lord
Ah okay. Yeah, Flame Burst should take care of them easily. I'm playing as Pikachu and Treecko and I don't really have a long range Electric attack that can take them out (and it doesn't look like Pikachu can learn any). Treecko does have Dragon Breath, but that doesn't have a type advantage.

For whatever it's worth, Pikachu does learn Discharge, which effects the entire room. Problem is you don't learn it until the mid-30's, and, at least in my experience, you don't hit that level until post-game.

Also sidenote, I hate the autosaving in this game, it doesn't let you SR if things don't go your way. I ran into a Monster House in Magma Cavern and didn't have a One-Shot Orb to take it out, so I tried resetting the game to start the dungeon over... only for it to respawn me right back in the middle of that Monster House. So basically you're screwed if you're not properly equipped for the dungeon ahead of time.

I never really reset my game in previous Mystery Dungeons, except for if I lost an extremely valuable/hard to replace item, so I'm not really annoyed much by it. I get the annoyance, but at the same time, I don't really mind them forcing us to play the way they intended. It's just a part of the game.

Also, a tip, just in case you didn't realize, in main story dungeons, where you can see enemies and items on the map, it's actually really easy to predict Monster Houses. If you see a abnormally large concentration of items that isn't organized like a Keckleon Shop, then it's almost certainly a Monster House and you can just go around, or, at the very least, plan for it.

Bolt the Cat

Bringing the Thunder
Also, a tip, just in case you didn't realize, in main story dungeons, where you can see enemies and items on the map, it's actually really easy to predict Monster Houses. If you see a abnormally large concentration of items that isn't organized like a Keckleon Shop, then it's almost certainly a Monster House and you can just go around, or, at the very least, plan for it.

Yeah, I figured that much out pretty quickly.

Status
Not open for further replies.