• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Pokemon Mystery Dungeon: The Temporal Observatory

This is my first time making a public roleplay, so I may not be familiar with all the rules and conventions. Please point out where I can improve!

This roleplay takes place roughly 300 years in the future after the events in the Pokemon Mystery Dungeon: Explorers series, where the world has a level of technological development similar to the Pokemon anime (just for reference, there is no relation to the Pokemon anime). The roleplay has a focus on the science fiction aspects, but what actually happens will obviously depend on the players, as long as it's SFW!

One requirement, as this is a Pokemon Mystery Dungeon roleplay, is that your character be a Pokemon.

The rating will be PG-13.

I'll start the plot with this:

The sun rose over the mountains to the east of Treasure Town, flooding the coastal city in golden light. Pokemon of all shapes and sizes began to rise from their slumber, as the city slowly came to life.

At the edge of the urban core stood a white, cube shaped building, almost camouflaging itself among the snow that had accumulated through the night. A tall, octagonal tower jutting far into the sky was connected by an overhead walkway to the facility, and the sign beside the entrance read "Treasure Town Guild Temporal Observatory and Research Centre".

Inside the building, a Sylveon sat in the empty conference room. A large screen was affixed to the wall behind her, showing a standard "no display input" message. The Sylveon pulled out a tablet from her work bag and connected a cable to it. The screen behind her blinked, before displaying her tablet's home screen. She scrolled to the presentation software she used and opened it, tapping on the first file in the directory. The screen changed to the first slide she had prepared: "Weekly Staff Meeting: January 10, 542", and a subheading under that read "Welcome to the Treasure Town Guild and/or Temporal Observatory!".

"Hey, Ella!", a Fennekin said groggily as she entered the conference room.

"Kira!", the Sylveon exclaimed, "You're the first one here! That's a new!"

"And it only took three Chesto berries and a splitting headache to achieve it.", the Fennekin joked as she dropped her bag on the table.

"I thought you sleepwalked here.", a Vulpix commented jokingly as she sat down beside Kira.

"I wish, Leslie. Then I'd have been asleep for that much longer.", Kira said, a smile becoming visible on her face. "Hey, so in the meeting notification, you mentioned that there will be a couple or new Pokemon coming? What's up with that?"

"Oh, we've gotten a couple of transfers to the observatory. It's part of the staff expansion I proposed like, three months ago." The Sylveon replied, "I've decided to let this staff meeting serve as a bit of a welcome party, so they'll be coming around at like 10:30, I think. I figured that having them in the same room as the senior researchers from day one would let them get to know all of you and help reduce the 'we're the outsiders here' nervousness that can crop up."

"So the bureaucrats at IREF finally let that happen, huh?" Leslie said jovially, "Good thing too! The Temporal Observatory seriously starting to have trouble keeping up with all the new responsibilities assigned to us!"

"Hey, at least the government's granted us more freedom to experiment with temporal technology!" Kira commented, "I for one have been making a lot more progress in my own research since then!"

"Yeah, that's true, but the amount of stuff that the staff here need to get done is just ridiculous at this point!" Leslie exclaimed, "We've all been sleep deprived lately."

"Arceus knows how true that is." Kira sighed.

"Hopefully some new helping paws will alleviate that issue!" Ella said, as several more of the senior researchers walked in. Greetings were exchanged and the pre-meeting smalltalk continued.

"Perfect! All the senior members are here!" Ella said after a while, "Everyone, good morning! We're just waiting for the newcomers to arrive, and then we'll get this show on the road!"

Your role:

You are one of the new recriuts to the temporal observatory, which is undergoing expansion and upgrades, as demand for temporal research has increased recently and the temporal observatory has also been tasked with monitoring the time stream and actively investogating and correcting anomalies. You can either be a scientist studying temporal mechanics or spatial mechanics. Alternatively, you can be a programmer, technician or engineer helping with the equipment in the facility.

Sign-up form:
  • Name:
  • Species:
  • Role:
  • Description:
Here is the sign up sheet for my main character, Kira, for reference:

• Name: Kira
  • Species: Fennekin
  • Role: Senior researcher of temporal mechanics
Description:

Kira the Fennekin is a twenty five year old temporal researcher at the Treasure Town Temporal Observatory. With a level 10 certificate in temporal mechanics and a level 7 certificate in engineering and computer system administration, she is tasked with researching the physics behind the flow of time and to monitor it for anomalies. She is kind-hearted, always striving to help others, but her dislike of irrelevant conversation and distractions while working often masked this trait of hers. As such, she had historically seemed cold and antisocial to the uninitiated, but Pokemon that took the time to get to know her will often gain a loyal friend who will stay by their side. However, with the recent developments in her life, this is starting to change as she has been finding it easier to approach other Pokemon and socialize with them. Kira is very close to Leslie the Vulpix, her stepsister, and they make it a point to start and end most work days by socializing together, a favored activity between them is to read the news together and discuss the happenings in the Pokemon world. Leslie was also responsible for the recent shift in Kira's social ability as she has worked hard to encourage the Fennekin to socialize with other Pokemon.

Kira is not a morning Pokemon, often appearing groggy and unresponsive before she's had her morning Chesto berry. She loves her job, but only "after twelve at noon". Despite her hatred for mornings, she is very good at her work, no matter the time of day. She also dislikes battling other Pokemon, believing the tradition to be pointless and "unbecoming of a civilized society". She refuses to attend Pokemon battles at gyms, and her career in science rarely requires her to venture into Mystery Dungeons. As a result, she is still at a low level despite her age.

Very little is known about Kira's past. Citizenship records indicate that she was hatched in a remote village on the grass continent and moved to Treasure Town during her childhood. Due to the fragmentary and often nonexistent record keeping in many rural regions around the time when Kira was born, information about Pokemon who used to live in these areas are extremely sparse. This fact frustrates Kira to no end. Having lost her biological family at five months old.​

Finally, if you would like to do this but as a private RP, let me know!

Last edited:

Midnite♪

Distant Stargazer
  • Name: Garik
  • Species: Vikavolt
  • Role: Newly recruited programmer

Description:

Garik the Vikavolt hails from a continent far away from the continent where the story takes place. His family was infamous on this continent due to his parents turning toward crime. His father (an infamous Golisopod known only by his nickname of "Ironthorn Claws") is the leader of a gang of criminals known as the Trawl Orbs, which has a harsh lock on their town and has resulted in Ironthorn Claws becoming one of the most wanted criminals in Garik's home continent. While his mother was a thief known for stealing food and valuables from open stalls, it was to support herself and her son (although the Trawl Orbs forcefully took a good chunk of the stolen goods for themselves). Garik was fully evolved at the age of 6 due to his father intentionally trying to toughen him up so that he would be strong enough to become the heir to the gang. However, Garik himself had no interest in the gang and overall did not want to go down any sort of path of crime, and instead took to studying the art of programming in his free time. While his father saw him as "useless and lazy" for locking himself up and studying nonstop, his mother supported and cared for him, and was happy that he wanted to break the history of crime that ran in his family, something that she felt she was too weak to do. Although it was through suspicious means, Garik's mother used the connections she had through her husband to help Garik travel out of his home continent and to a new one to start a new chapter of his life. Armed with nothing but his programming knowledge, he set out to Treasure Town, trying to find a job suited for his self-taught skills. However, his family background made it extremely difficult, as he was constantly met with distrust and skepticism despite the fact that he himself had never turned to any crime in Treasure Town. He did land a few internships and odd-jobs as a programmer, which cemented him a little into the community and proved his trustworthiness, but he is still met with leery eyes by most.

Garik is a rather erratic and socially awkward creature, and he is prone to bouts of panic and extreme defense when threatened due to memories of his father. This "panic button" is a stark contrast to his usual calm, collected and almost robotic demeanor and his tendancies to hyper-focus on one or two things at a time. However, Garik is a genuinely friendly being and enjoys being around others, although he isn't the best at expressing it. While he'll vehemently deny it out in the open, deep down, Garik really just wants others' validation -- proof that he succeeded in breaking free of the rest of his family's criminal history and that Garik himself is of value as a citizen.

While Garik has reservations about actually battling, he won't deny that he is quite strong due to his upbringing. However, he will only battle or explore mystery dungeons if it is absolutely necessary for him to, i.e. if he is under attack, or the usual fighters/explorers are unavailable.

• Name: Garik
  • Species: Vikavolt
  • Role: Newly recruited programmer
Description:

Garik the Vikavolt hails from a continent far away from the continent where the story takes place. His family was infamous on this continent due to his parents turning toward crime. His father (an infamous Golisopod known only by his nickname of "Ironthorn Claws") is the leader of a gang of criminals known as the Trawl Orbs, which has a harsh lock on their town and has resulted in Ironthorn Claws becoming one of the most wanted criminals in Garik's home continent. While his mother was a thief known for stealing food and valuables from open stalls, it was to support herself and her son (although the Trawl Orbs forcefully took a good chunk of the stolen goods for themselves). Garik was fully evolved at the age of 6 due to his father intentionally trying to toughen him up so that he would be strong enough to become the heir to the gang. However, Garik himself had no interest in the gang and overall did not want to go down any sort of path of crime, and instead took to studying the art of programming in his free time. While his father saw him as "useless and lazy" for locking himself up and studying nonstop, his mother supported and cared for him, and was happy that he wanted to break the history of crime that ran in his family, something that she felt she was too weak to do. Although it was through suspicious means, Garik's mother used the connections she had through her husband to help Garik travel out of his home continent and to a new one to start a new chapter of his life. Armed with nothing but his programming knowledge, he set out to Treasure Town, trying to find a job suited for his self-taught skills. However, his family background made it extremely difficult, as he was constantly met with distrust and skepticism despite the fact that he himself had never turned to any crime in Treasure Town. He did land a few internships and odd-jobs as a programmer, which cemented him a little into the community and proved his trustworthiness, but he is still met with leery eyes by most.

Garik is a rather erratic and socially awkward creature, and he is prone to bouts of panic and extreme defense when threatened due to memories of his father. This "panic button" is a stark contrast to his usual calm, collected and almost robotic demeanor and his tendancies to hyper-focus on one or two things at a time. However, Garik is a genuinely friendly being and enjoys being around others, although he isn't the best at expressing it. While he'll vehemently deny it out in the open, deep down, Garik really just wants others' validation -- proof that he succeeded in breaking free of the rest of his family's criminal history and that Garik himself is of value as a citizen.

While Garik has reservations about actually battling, he won't deny that he is quite strong due to his upbringing. However, he will only battle or explore mystery dungeons if it is absolutely necessary for him to, i.e. if he is under attack, or the usual fighters/explorers are unavailable.

Welcome! I'm currently waiting for a few more players to join, and then we'll get started.

Alternatively, if you'd like to get started right now, we can do a private RP through some kind of direct messaging.