1. We have moved to a new forum system. All your posts and data should have transferred over. Welcome, to the new Serebii Forums. Details here
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
    Dismiss Notice
  3. If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders
    Dismiss Notice

Pokemon names you often mispronounce

Discussion in 'General Pokémon Discussion' started by NovaBrunswick, Aug 10, 2019.

1. NovaBrunswick

NovaBrunswick Canada Connoisseur

I think there might’ve been a thread like this one before, but if there wasn’t, I’ll post it here again.

Many Pokemon names don’t have an “official” pronunciation, since even the anime can differ on how a Pokemon’s name is pronounced. This can lead to inconsistent pronunciations across all the forms of Pokemon media, so it can be hard to tell which one is the “right” one.

With that, what are some Pokemon whose names you often mispronounce? Here are some which always seem to trip me up:

• Misdreavus (the anime has pronounced it both as Miss-dray-uss and Miss-dree-vuss, but I tend to pronounce it as the latter)

• Raikou (I pronounce it as Ray-koo, but apparently it’s Rye-koh)

• Entei (I’ve heard it being pronounced as En-tie and En-tay)

• Suicune (this one is still a tricky one for me, I used to pronounce it as Soo-koon, now I pronounce it as Swik-yoon, which I think is how it’s supposed to be pronounced)

• Dialga (I pronounce it as Die-alga, like in diamond, but apparently it’s supposed to be Dee-alga)

• Arceus (the movie it appears in pronounces it as Ar-kee-us, apparently because pronouncing it as Ar-see-us could be awkward-sounding for British audiences)

• Brionne (I read it as Bry-oh-nee, but it’s supposed to be Bree-on)

• Silvally (I think it’s pronounced as Sil-valley, but the ‘ally’ part is supposed to evoke an ‘ally’ in battle, so it could be Sil-va-lie)

• Solgaleo (I always read it as Sol-gay-leo)

Last edited: Aug 11, 2019
  2. WishIhadaManafi5

WishIhadaManafi5 Still miss you, Lorne. Staff Member

I used to pronounce Suicune similarly, as Soo-koon-ee.

3. Cometstarlight

Cometstarlight What do I do now?

As a kid, I pronounced Suicune Suey-coon, but once it was named in the anime, I started saying it the way they do Swee-coon.

Just remembered a few more.

I pronounced Plusle as Pluss-Lee for the longest time until I was corrected. My mom still remembers it though, so when she sees one in POGO, she calls it Pluss-Lee.

Knew a dude in college who pronounced Sceptile as Skep-tile. Threw me off for a second before I realized what he was talking about.

Last edited: Aug 10, 2019
  4. SBaby

SBaby Dungeon Master

That one's easy. Arceus. Seriously, I still don't know how to pronounce that name to this day (I just pronounce it Ar-key-us, but I could be completely wrong). And I have a feeling that a lot of Let's Players are in the same boat as me.

What's worse is in one of my main fanfics, Arceus figures in prominently.

NovaBrunswick and MockingJ like this.
  5. Leonhart

Leonhart The Lying King

Arceus confuses me since the dub pronounces it a certain way, yet a lot of my friends where I used to live pronounced it differently and I could've sworn that the Japanese version pronounced it a bit differently in the 12th movie as well. I don't know whether the "ce" part of the name is supposed to be pronounced like "key" or "see".

6. MockingJ

MockingJ (づ。◕‿‿◕。)づ

I always pronounced Raikou wrong, I always called it Rai-koo when I was a kid but it's pronounced as Rai-koh which is a small difference but it sounds better to me.

NovaBrunswick and wolf jani like this.
  7. FullFathomsFive

FullFathomsFive Well-Known Member

I think Cofagrigus might be mine - I gather the sound is more like 'cof-egregious' rather than 'cofag-rigour'.

MockingJ and NovaBrunswick like this.
  8. Ignition

Ignition Buttwitch needs more appreciation

Always called Groudon “Groundon”. Still don’t know where that other n came from

NovaBrunswick likes this.
  9. NovaBrunswick

NovaBrunswick Canada Connoisseur

I say it like that as well. I guess it’s sort of like “sceptical”, where the C is pronounced as a hard C.

I said it like that as well. Similarly, I pronounce Raichu as Ray-chu (like Rachel), even though I know it’s supposed to be Rye-chu.

Maybe because Groudon is a Ground type?

Last edited: Aug 11, 2019
    wolf jani likes this.
  10. Luthor

Luthor Well-Known Member

I do something similar with Groudon. But at least with that one it makes sense with the typing. Less logically I also occasionally call Yamask by the name "Yanmask" which I'm pretty sure is because of Yanma.

NovaBrunswick likes this.
  11. PrinceOfFacade

PrinceOfFacade Ghost-Type Master

Arceus, and it's definitely by choice.

Though I understand the etymology behind it, I think ar-KAY-us is such a dumb pronunciation, that I just refuse to acknowledge it. Thus, I stick with AR-see-us.

I mispronounce Rayquaza's name for similar reasons. It's really that I've spent 15 years pronouncing it ray-QUAH-zuh, so when I found out it's really ray-QUAY-zuh, I was like, "Well, ain't no point in going back now." lol

NovaBrunswick and wolf jani like this.
  12. Missingno.Fan

Missingno.Fan Well-Known Member

For the longest time I pronounced Kyogre as “ky-oh-gree”.

MockingJ, NovaBrunswick and wolf jani like this.