1. We have moved to a new forum system. All your posts and data should have transferred over. Welcome, to the new Serebii Forums. Details here
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
    Dismiss Notice
  3. If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders
    Dismiss Notice

Pokemon names you often mispronounce

Discussion in 'General Pokémon Discussion' started by NovaBrunswick, Aug 10, 2019.

1. NovaBrunswick

NovaBrunswick Canada Connoisseur

I think it’s pronounced Blaze-eff-alon, since it’s a Fire/Ghost type, and ‘blaze’ is used in a lot of Fire Pokemon’s names (like Blaziken).

Lunalah likes this.
  2. Ignition

Ignition My son finally did it

I thought the “Blace” referred to blast as it’s all about explosions since it’s the Fireworks Pokèmon. Both are plausible though

NovaBrunswick likes this.
  3. TRNRLogan

TRNRLogan Active Member

Ahhh yes Arceus also known as the pokemon that has like 4 "official" pronunciations.

Really though Slaking.

Lunalah and NovaBrunswick like this.
  4. NovaBrunswick

I’m pretty sure Slaking is pronounced like “slacking”, as in “slacking off”, because of its extreme laziness. It’s definitely not pronounced “slay-king”. XD

Togekiis likes this.
  5. TRNRLogan

TRNRLogan Active Member

Yeah but i get confused about whether the Sla is pronounced like sloth

Togekiis, Lunalah and MockingJ like this.
  6. -Vulpix-

-Vulpix- Cynder Kiryah

Think I often got Yveltal pronounced, still one of my favorite legendary Pokemon though.
    And still not sure on the pronounciation on some of the gen 7 that I still get wrong probably, think for the most part I got the majority of them right.

Togekiis, Lunalah and NovaBrunswick like this.
  7. NovaBrunswick

When Yveltal was first revealed, I initially didn't see that there was another L in between the E and T, and I pronounced it "Yvette-tal". Xerneas, ironically, was a bit easier to pronounce - "Zer-nee-as".

Lunalah likes this.
  8. Platina2000

Platina2000 Well-Known Member

When I first started Ruby, I use to mispronounce Groudon's name as 'Groodin', for some reason. Yveltal, I STILL mispronounce from time to time, and I've actually gotten into an argument with a friend over the name Arceus a long time ago (he went by the movie name, I went , and still go with, the soft C sound, whether it's wrong or not). And finally, Regice, I kept pronnouncing it as Regi-ice when I was younger.

NovaBrunswick and Lunalah like this.
  9. -Vulpix-

-Vulpix- Cynder Kiryah

Think I kept originally pronouncing it like Y(Why)-vee-tall instead of ee-vell-tall(think I got the hang of it after a few years)

Lunalah likes this.
  10. NovaBrunswick

I used to pronounce Groudon like you said as well, until I realised it’s supposed to be like “ground,” its typing. I still hear it in my head as “Groo-don” though.

Platina2000 likes this.
  11. Togekiis

Togekiis Active Member

How did you even come up with that pronunciation? It's funny and all but there's no letter N in Rayquaza to begin with.

TRNRLogan likes this.