• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Pokemon names you often mispronounce

NovaBrunswick

Canada Connoisseur
I think Blacephelon’s pronunciation is Bla+seth+elon

I think it’s pronounced Blaze-eff-alon, since it’s a Fire/Ghost type, and ‘blaze’ is used in a lot of Fire Pokemon’s names (like Blaziken).

Ignition

We are so back Zygardebros
I think it’s pronounced Blaze-eff-alon, since it’s a Fire/Ghost type, and ‘blaze’ is used in a lot of Fire Pokemon’s names (like Blaziken).
I thought the “Blace” referred to blast as it’s all about explosions since it’s the Fireworks Pokèmon. Both are plausible though

TRNRLogan

Ahhh yes Arceus also known as the pokemon that has like 4 "official" pronunciations.

Really though Slaking.

NovaBrunswick

Canada Connoisseur
Ahhh yes Arceus also known as the pokemon that has like 4 "official" pronunciations.

Really though Slaking.

I’m pretty sure Slaking is pronounced like “slacking”, as in “slacking off”, because of its extreme laziness. It’s definitely not pronounced “slay-king”. XD

TRNRLogan

Yeah but i get confused about whether the Sla is pronounced like sloth

-Vulpix-

Cynder Kiryah
Think I often got Yveltal pronounced, still one of my favorite legendary Pokemon though.
And still not sure on the pronounciation on some of the gen 7 that I still get wrong probably, think for the most part I got the majority of them right.

NovaBrunswick

Canada Connoisseur
Think I often got Yveltal pronounced, still one of my favorite legendary Pokemon though.
And still not sure on the pronounciation on some of the gen 7 that I still get wrong probably, think for the most part I got the majority of them right.

When Yveltal was first revealed, I initially didn't see that there was another L in between the E and T, and I pronounced it "Yvette-tal". Xerneas, ironically, was a bit easier to pronounce - "Zer-nee-as".

Platina2000

When I first started Ruby, I use to mispronounce Groudon's name as 'Groodin', for some reason. Yveltal, I STILL mispronounce from time to time, and I've actually gotten into an argument with a friend over the name Arceus a long time ago (he went by the movie name, I went , and still go with, the soft C sound, whether it's wrong or not). And finally, Regice, I kept pronnouncing it as Regi-ice when I was younger.

-Vulpix-

Cynder Kiryah
When Yveltal was first revealed, I initially didn't see that there was another L in between the E and T, and I pronounced it "Yvette-tal". Xerneas, ironically, was a bit easier to pronounce - "Zer-nee-as".
Think I kept originally pronouncing it like Y(Why)-vee-tall instead of ee-vell-tall(think I got the hang of it after a few years)

NovaBrunswick

Canada Connoisseur
When I first started Ruby, I use to mispronounce Groudon's name as 'Groodin', for some reason. Yveltal, I STILL mispronounce from time to time, and I've actually gotten into an argument with a friend over the name Arceus a long time ago (he went by the movie name, I went , and still go with, the soft C sound, whether it's wrong or not). And finally, Regice, I kept pronnouncing it as Regi-ice when I was younger.

I used to pronounce Groudon like you said as well, until I realised it’s supposed to be like “ground,” its typing. I still hear it in my head as “Groo-don” though.

NovaBrunswick

Canada Connoisseur
Is Togepi and its evolutions pronounced with a hard “G” as in girl, or a soft “G” as in ginger? I always used to say it with the latter, but I don’t think there is a soft “G” sound in Japanese.

Erron Black

The Outlaw
Is Togepi and its evolutions pronounced with a hard “G” as in girl, or a soft “G” as in ginger? I always used to say it with the latter, but I don’t think there is a soft “G” sound in Japanese.
It's pronounced with a hard 'G' sound.

If you're ever confused, you can either listen to the pronunciations from Pokedex 3D pro, or the anime, as they generally have correct pronunciations.(Though the anime has it's fair share of mispronunciations and it can sometimes be inconsistent. I believe Arceus has been pronounced with the hard 'C' like in Arch, as well as the 'S' sound like in Place.)

NovaBrunswick

Canada Connoisseur
It's pronounced with a hard 'G' sound.

If you're ever confused, you can either listen to the pronunciations from Pokedex 3D pro, or the anime, as they generally have correct pronunciations.(Though the anime has it's fair share of mispronunciations and it can sometimes be inconsistent. I believe Arceus has been pronounced with the hard 'C' like in Arch, as well as the 'S' sound like in Place.)

A similar thing happens to me with Archen and Archeops. I believe their names are supposed to evoke "archaeology", as they're fossil Pokémon, but I often find myself pronouncing the 'ch' as in chocolate.

NovaBrunswick

Canada Connoisseur
I used to pronounce Regice wrong until I heard how it's pronounced in the cartoon. I used to call it Re-gi-ice when it's actually just Reg-ice with two syllables not three.

It would kind of make sense with the former pronunciation, as it’s part of the Regi family, but “Regiice” (with two I’s) would just look and sound silly.

In a similar way, Shiinotic. Is it “Shy-notic” or “Shee-notic”? It’s supposed to be a shiitake mushroom, so it could be the latter. (I haven’t watched any of the Sun & Moon series.)

Pikachu Fan Number Nine

Don't Mess wit Texas
I used to mispronounce Arceus.

GiddyupGal

smarter than i usually act
I used to pronounce Regice wrong until I heard how it's pronounced in the cartoon. I used to call it Re-gi-ice when it's actually just Reg-ice with two syllables not three.
regi-ice is its japanese name if i'm thinking right. it really should be regi ice.