• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Pokemon Names You Pronounced Wrong

ColorsofTheRainbow

Live. Love. Ho-Oh.
Oh gosh I probably pronounce alot of them wrong but a couple are
Patrat ~ Pat-rat
Kyurem ~ Kai-you-rem
Audino ~ Aw-dean-o

MegSuicune251

Pokemon's #1 Fan
I pronounced Suicune Soo-ee-koon
Also pronounced Rayquaza Ray-qwah-zah
Servine Sir-veen
Dewott Dee-wott
Reshiram Resh-eer-um
Zekrom Zeek-rom
Phione Fee-own
Snorunt Snore-runt
Typhlosion Thel-osion (c'mon I was 8! XD)

Last edited:
@ColorsofTheRainbow: How do you pronounce them then? I pronounce them the same as what you have put.

I guess there's a few for me. Some of the actual pronunciations make no phonetic sense to me and I stubbornly still pronounce them they way I want!

Suicune is a prime example. I think of the "cune" part with a "ss" sound rather than a "kih" sound found in words such as "cycling" and "cerise" and all other names with the "sui" sound (swee) are pronounced as such by myself but not Suicune. A decade of saying SOO-EE-SOON has stuck firmly in my mind and will not shift. It just rolls of the tongue better than "SWEE-COON" Ugh. When I first saw that I was like "What? You best be joking!!?!"

Nothing wrong with Ray-qwah-zah, that's how I say it. Ray-qwey-zah? Sounds ridiculous.
Kai-oh-gurr seems right to me.

Anyway back to things which I'm certain I've gotten wrong at first and now say properly.

Lugia used to be LOO-GEE-UHH. Gee as in German or "Gee man what a jip" Yeah a G which sounds like a J.
Wobbuffet was was Woh-boo-fey
Scyther - SKY-Ther
Raichu - Rah-ee-choo with a very prolonged ee sound
Zoroark - Zoh-roh-ark apparently it's not this... actually I still say it like that.

Anyone had times when they've heard someone say a pokemon name and completely miss pronounce it and think "GODAMMIT YOU LITTLE SH*T" Or something along those lines?
The closest I had to that was when I was at an event and heard a kid older than most of the rest of them say Pidgeot as "PIJ-IT" I mean really? He was sounding off the J with such force it was just so wrong.

Then there's my friend Kyle... we don't talk about Kyle and his mis-pronunciations any more, he's had too many.

Like I can talk with half of the new ones not being as I thought! :D lol

Aegon

The only two I ever initially pronounced wrong were "Raikou" and "Zoroark". I did pronounce the former as rai-koo and the latter as zo-rork, but I have since seen the error of my ways.

Growlihte, Raikou, Suicune, Kyogre and Rayquaza ;)

Last edited:

Aquarelle

Staff member
Suicune: I pronounced it as if it was Suisine

Kyogre: Kyogray

Arceus: Arsoose (so that it sounds like "Zeus"). I actually still pronounce it this way since the "right" pronunciation just doesn't sound good to me.

Last edited:

Cremia

It's a small world..
I remember when I was little Suicune what the hardest for me to pronounce. My brother and I pronounced it as Swee-cane. o_O IDK dont ask lol :)

I also pronounce:
Raikou as Ray-koo.
Kyogre as Ky-oh-gree.
Gardevoir as Gar-deh-vor.
Milotic as Mill-ah-tick.
Rayquaza as Ray-qwah-zah.
Growlithe as Growl-eyeth.
Poochyena and Mightyena as Pooch-ee-ann-nah and Might-ee-an-nah.
Illumise as Ihll-loo-miss.
Mantine as Man-teen.
Arceus as Ar-soos.

IDK what else though lol :)

overlordmewtwo

Supreme Overlord
OK, here's a few mis-pronounciations:

Die-al-ga
Es-caval-ier (instead of Esc-ava-lier)
Groundon
K-ogre (didn't know the y was supposed to be pronounced when I first started. :p)
Ray-quA-za
Hy-dre-gon (Now I call it either by its proper name, or just "The Hydra")
Saizzor (Scizor)

Now I say all these Pokemon correctly.

wobbanut

Team Awesome
Before I saw the fourth movie, I kept pronouncing Suicine's name like "suicide" (soo-eh-seen).

pokedigijedi

Saiyan Jedi
lets see here..........Groudon for some reason I use to call GROW-don and Kyogre for some reason I use to call it Kyrogue im still wondering how I did that

Last edited:
Arceus. I read it as Ar-see-use but my friends say Ar-ke-use.
I also read Kyogre as Kyo-gerr.

I still dunno how to read this right. :(

Dark Searchman

Serpentine Sniper
Suicune was definitely a problem for me, but one of my worst blunders was saying Skarmony instead of Skarmory. Yup. I'd misspell it all the time until I was corrected.

OshyHikari

c l a r i t y
Some names I can't get right:

Hydreigon - I eventually learned the pronounciation after watching one of Marriland's videos (his Pokemon White videos to be specific)
Arceus - I still can't get that one right...
Patrat - Confused me a little.
Audino - I get totally tongue tied with this one.
Zweilous - Same as Hydreigon
Deino - Same as Hydreigon
Cinccino - I often say it "chin-CHEE-no", need to learn how to say it someday...

Thorndrop

I remember I used to call Onix 'oinks'. Suicune was 'suck-u-ine'. Kyogre = 'ky-rogue'.
I probably pronounce quite a few slightly wrong now, but I'm not hung up on being perfectly correct and I'm used to my own pronounciations by now.