• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Pokemon Names You Pronounced Wrong

legoslayer10

Legendary Master
I always pronounced Misdreavous Miss-dreev-ee-us instead of the correct. i remember really messing up arceus. at first, I called it Ar-see-us, like many, but when I seen the Pokemon: Rise of Darkrai movie, and I thought that Game Freak really screwed with us, I called it by the name of that song, ah-rah-see-ahn, then the movie 9 came out and I felt so stupid. I called Grotle grow-tul. Then Black and White came out and I called Deino Dye-no. I can keep going, but i don't want to kill myself.

thatjeremykid

.Memento.Mori.
I always pronounced Misdreavous Miss-dreev-ee-us instead of the correct. i remember really messing up arceus. at first, I called it Ar-see-us, like many, but when I seen the Pokemon: Rise of Darkrai movie, and I thought that Game Freak really screwed with us, I called it by the name of that song, ah-rah-see-ahn, then the movie 9 came out and I felt so stupid. I called Grotle grow-tul. Then Black and White came out and I called Deino Dye-no. I can keep going, but i don't want to kill myself.
is it not DIE-NO? it's evolutionary chains names all contain german one, two, and three. ein, zwei, drei.

DarkLatios

SHINE GET
A LOT of these, but some of my worst ones include:

Suicune: Suicide. Yep, I literally thought the name of a legendary Pokemon was the act of taking ones own life. Kill me.
Kyogre: Kai-O-Gree
Groudon: Grow-Dun
Magby: Mag Bye
Exploud: Explode
Manectric: Manc Tric
Anorith: Anorth
Lucario: Luck Rio
Conkeldurr: Conk Elder
Darmanitan: Dar man eyetan
Beheeyem: Beeheeyem (thought it was called this until a few months ago actually)
Bisharp: Bye Sharp

wobbanut

Team Awesome
Oh, I remembered another one I used to pronounce wrong. I remember thinking Chimecho was pronouned "chime-cho", not "chime-ek-ko".

Del Mundo

Ghost Fan
~hip - poh - don vs. hip - pow - don
~for some reason, they always pronounce Larvitar as lar - vay - tar, on the show
~I was a little upset hearing people in the movie saying "ark - ee -us" The c before the e clearly indicates an s sound. Jeez....

And as for putting the right stress on the syllables in pokemon names; You will know how to pronounce the Pokemon as long as you know the portmanteau.

For example: Conkeldurr: the "nk" will make your throat cringe like in "spank" but Conkeldurr is a portmanteau of "concrete" and "elder" So I'm pretty sure that it's pronounced, "con - kell - durr"

Reuniclus is another. It is a portmanteau of "reunite" and "homunculus" So the pronounciation should be "Ree - yoon - ih - clus"

Epouvantail

the taste
I use to pronounce any name with a soft c incorrectly, I.E. Sceptile.
But the one I used to butcher to death was farfetch'd, no seriously, I used to say "fair-etch-dee", I don't know how I managed to make that mistake for several years.

usernames

Oh, I remembered another one I used to pronounce wrong. I remember thinking Chimecho was pronouned "chime-cho", not "chime-ek-ko".
me too! and i also thought Archen n Archeops were pronounced "Ar-chen and Ar-che-ops" not " Ar-kin and Ar-kee-ops"

Finch.

Sunlight, sunlight~
I remember pronouncing Gyarados Gai-Arrr-ih-Dos, and I pronounced Suicune and Soo-ee-soon.

I think that's all, but I'm probably forgetting a few.

Edit: -Oh! I pronounced Salamence Say-la-mence.

Last edited:

zozo

SLIMED!
The two I can think of offhand are:

Pronouncing Lugia as Lou-JEE-ah and pronouncing Scizor as see-zore (the way Scizor says his own name in SSBM) instead of SIZ-ore the way it's done in the anime.

I was especially disappointed in the way Lugia is pronounced. It sounds like a fancy name for spitting. :(

Hmm... then there was the fact that I always called Gyarados guy-RA-dose because I had always read the name so fast that I missed the first "a".

xDWarrior

Lanik

Before I saw the 14th movie, I thought hydreigon was pronounced hai-drey-gawn, but Iris cleared that up by saying hai-drai-guhn.

PandakoPanda

Anundo celebrity
Well, I call Arceus are-kay-us.
Rattata is said like Rat-atta in one word very quickly. My friend says it's Ruh-tatta, but I don't know if that's right nor do I care D:
Regice is said like Reji-ice. It was said like that in the Lucario movie.

Once, when I was little, I read Qwilfish as Owlfish. I was quickly set straight by my older sister and her friend though.

CarneysRage

I refuse to pronounce Sceptile "Septile". I'll always say "Skeptile". And I said cranidos "cran-ih-dos" not "cray-nee-dos". I get the reasoning for the second way, but it just sounds dumb to me.

Silver Bolt

Undying flames
I used to say Ga-ya-ray-dos instead of Gyarados when I was younger. No idea why. And I refuse to say stuff like Ar-key-us. I'll always say Are-seh-oos because the other thing just sounds wrong and stupid to me.