1. We have moved to a new forum system. All your posts and data should have transferred over. Welcome, to the new Serebii Forums. Details here
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
    Dismiss Notice
  3. If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders
    Dismiss Notice

Pokemon Names You Pronounced Wrong

Discussion in 'Poképolls' started by Angeltripper, Feb 26, 2012.

1. Nightfall_

Nightfall_ Gamer Extrodinare

Charm - E - card

Char - I - Zatd

2. legoslayer10

legoslayer10 Legendary Master

I always pronounced Misdreavous Miss-dreev-ee-us instead of the correct. i remember really messing up arceus. at first, I called it Ar-see-us, like many, but when I seen the Pokemon: Rise of Darkrai movie, and I thought that Game Freak really screwed with us, I called it by the name of that song, ah-rah-see-ahn, then the movie 9 came out and I felt so stupid. I called Grotle grow-tul. Then Black and White came out and I called Deino Dye-no. I can keep going, but i don't want to kill myself.

3. thatjeremykid

thatjeremykid .Memento.Mori.

is it not DIE-NO? it's evolutionary chains names all contain german one, two, and three. ein, zwei, drei.

4. DarkLatios

DarkLatios SHINE GET

A LOT of these, but some of my worst ones include:

Suicune: Suicide. Yep, I literally thought the name of a legendary Pokemon was the act of taking ones own life. Kill me.
    Kyogre: Kai-O-Gree
    Groudon: Grow-Dun
    Magby: Mag Bye
    Exploud: Explode
    Manectric: Manc Tric
    Anorith: Anorth
    Lucario: Luck Rio
    Conkeldurr: Conk Elder
    Darmanitan: Dar man eyetan
    Beheeyem: Beeheeyem (thought it was called this until a few months ago actually)
    Bisharp: Bye Sharp

5. wobbanut

wobbanut Team Awesome

Oh, I remembered another one I used to pronounce wrong. I remember thinking Chimecho was pronouned "chime-cho", not "chime-ek-ko".

6. Del Mundo

Del Mundo Ghost Fan

~hip - poh - don vs. hip - pow - don
    ~for some reason, they always pronounce Larvitar as lar - vay - tar, on the show
    ~I was a little upset hearing people in the movie saying "ark - ee -us" The c before the e clearly indicates an s sound. Jeez....

And as for putting the right stress on the syllables in pokemon names; You will know how to pronounce the Pokemon as long as you know the portmanteau.

For example: Conkeldurr: the "nk" will make your throat cringe like in "spank" but Conkeldurr is a portmanteau of "concrete" and "elder" So I'm pretty sure that it's pronounced, "con - kell - durr"

Reuniclus is another. It is a portmanteau of "reunite" and "homunculus" So the pronounciation should be "Ree - yoon - ih - clus"

7. Epouvantail

Epouvantail the taste

I use to pronounce any name with a soft c incorrectly, I.E. Sceptile.
    But the one I used to butcher to death was farfetch'd, no seriously, I used to say "fair-etch-dee", I don't know how I managed to make that mistake for several years.

8. usernames

usernames Active Member

me too! and i also thought Archen n Archeops were pronounced "Ar-chen and Ar-che-ops" not " Ar-kin and Ar-kee-ops"

9. Finch.

Finch. Sunlight, sunlight~

I remember pronouncing Gyarados Gai-Arrr-ih-Dos, and I pronounced Suicune and Soo-ee-soon.

I think that's all, but I'm probably forgetting a few.

Edit: -Oh! I pronounced Salamence Say-la-mence.

Last edited: May 4, 2012
  10. zozo

zozo SLIMED!

The two I can think of offhand are:

Pronouncing Lugia as Lou-JEE-ah and pronouncing Scizor as see-zore (the way Scizor says his own name in SSBM) instead of SIZ-ore the way it's done in the anime.

I was especially disappointed in the way Lugia is pronounced. It sounds like a fancy name for spitting. :(

Hmm... then there was the fact that I always called Gyarados guy-RA-dose because I had always read the name so fast that I missed the first "a".

11. The Joker.

The Joker. Gone.

I used to call Kyogre "Ky- Rogue" when I was younger and suicune "SOO-SWENE". I dont know why.

12. xDWarrior

xDWarrior Well-Known Member

This.
    [ filler ]

13. I used to call Giratina, Gee-rah-ty-nah.
    LOL.

14. Lanik

Lanik Well-Known Member

Before I saw the 14th movie, I thought hydreigon was pronounced hai-drey-gawn, but Iris cleared that up by saying hai-drai-guhn.

15. Aura Of Twilight

Aura Of Twilight Forever Clueless

Umbreon.

I used to pronounce it something like: "Um-brell-aeon. lol

16. PandakoPanda

PandakoPanda Anundo celebrity

Well, I call Arceus are-kay-us.
    Rattata is said like Rat-atta in one word very quickly. My friend says it's Ruh-tatta, but I don't know if that's right nor do I care D:
    Regice is said like Reji-ice. It was said like that in the Lucario movie.

Once, when I was little, I read Qwilfish as Owlfish. I was quickly set straight by my older sister and her friend though.

17. CarneysRage

CarneysRage Active Member

I refuse to pronounce Sceptile "Septile". I'll always say "Skeptile". And I said cranidos "cran-ih-dos" not "cray-nee-dos". I get the reasoning for the second way, but it just sounds dumb to me.

18. Missingno.Fan

Missingno.Fan Well-Known Member

I used to call Chimecho chime-cho.

19. These. I always pronounced them wrong.

20. Silver Bolt

Silver Bolt Undying flames

I used to say Ga-ya-ray-dos instead of Gyarados when I was younger. No idea why. And I refuse to say stuff like Ar-key-us. I'll always say Are-seh-oos because the other thing just sounds wrong and stupid to me.