• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Pokemon Names You Pronounced Wrong

Atari

Did it on 'em
Since I've been pronouncing many Pokemon names wrong since I was in elementary/middle school, I never really bothered to correct them. Everyone knows who I talk about anyway so it doesn't really matter.

Examples are Missingno. (used to call it 'misshingo', now I just say missing number), and Raikou (still pronounce it 'raiku').

Kutie Pie

"It is my destiny."
Oh boy, I have no idea. There's waaaaay too many to name, but the big ones I remember is Marill. We had no idea how to pronounce it until after we saw the first movie, and we were sounding it out in many different names. It was funny.

And because I couldn't hear the kid very well on the bus, I thought Mewtwo and Mew were pronounced "Nyuutwo" and "Nyuu". Yeah...

SkyGardevoir

Gone Mon. to Thurs.
-Numel
-Kyogre
-Rayquaza
-Pachirisu
-Giratina
-Palkia
-Reshiram
-Several more...
Thank you, anime, for giving me the actual names.

uxie, arceus, raicou, milotic.
uxie: is it ux-ie or youx-ie? I say the second one...
arceus: ar-ce-us or ar-see-us? I am interchangeable
raicou: ray-coo is how I say it
milotic: my-lo-tic it sounds better mi-lo-tic

Locormus

Can we please get the older, old forum back?
The funny thing is that some of the English names were obviously pronounced differently in the Dutch dub. It isn't a problem, but when saying the Electabuzz, the Buzz part sounds a lot flatter then if an American/Brit would say the name, which is hilarious.. xD

Therefore, to me, there are no real truths, only interpretations off.

Of course the Dutch dub isn't going to put on a fat American accent, so the pronounciations will be different eitherway.

Lady Umbreon

I'd been pronouncing Houndour as "Hown-door". I couldn't watch the anime during Gens 1-3 so I had no idea it rhymes with "hour".

Canto

The only two I can think of are Giratina (Which I pronounced Gye-rah-tee-nah) and Arceus (Which I pronounced Are-see-us).

I-am-the-peel

Justice Forever
Venasaur-Fen-A-Saur instead of Veen a saur

I think the worst person for pronouncing pokemon names is definetly the announcer from pokemon battle revolution. For example, he calls Arcanine 'Our-Ka-Nine' instead of 'Arc-An-In'. Really annoys me most of the time.

Ninja Dog

Banned
I said Arceus, Ar-kay-us, and I'm still not sure Whether I say Bibarel right, I say Bib-Air-Re-el Is that correct?

Atratus

Antimatter Trainer
I pronounce:

Rampardos as Ram-Par-Dos.
Deino as Dei-No.
Rayquaza as Rey- Qua - Za.
Arceus as Ar-Seus.
Gigalith as "Giga" and not "Jiga".
Milotic as "Mi-Lo-Tic".
Regigigas as "Re-Ji-Gi-Gas"
Audino as "Au-Dee-No"

But I am sure plenty of them are wrong.

Spacialrend

Gallade owns
Victreebel - "Victory-Trouble"
Articuno - "Arctic-Queen-Oh"
Mewtwo - "Moo-Too"
Meganium - "Meh-Gun-Yum"
Feraligatr - "Ferally-Gay-Tar"
Tailow - "Tay-Loud"
Plusle - "Plume-Soul"
Kyogre - "Kai-Ogger"
Bastiodon - "B******-On"
Regigigis - *stutters after the first "Gi"*
Patrat - "Patrol-Trat"
Reshiram - "Hash-Or-Ram"
Zekrom - "Sir-Comb"

RivalsByNature

Lalala Not Listening
I can't pronounce Heatran. I pronounce it like he-tha-ran.

MewQueen

Bidoof (Bi-doof)
Gyrados (Juy-rah-dos)
Xatu (X-a-too)
Chickorita (Chick-ih-tora)
Arceus (Are-see-us) (No matter how many times Nintendo says it pronounced Are-key-us, I never will say it like that)
Maril (Marr-ill)

J-star

Dynamic Entry!
I pronounce Snivy with a short sounding "I". From what I've heard on the anime, this is wrong.

I and apparently also according to the anime, I pronounce Druddigen wrong. I consider the anime the right way to say the names