• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Pokemon: Neo Genesis (AaMayL/Advanceshipping, PG-13)

cichawk

<-- It looks SILLY
^Ariel_Anderson

Nothing.

So I have a lot of f!@#ing problems right now that I need to sort out so don't expect a chapter anytime soon.

cichawk

<-- It looks SILLY
Sorry for my absence. Everything is good again.

Foreword

It’s been a while.

----------------

Chapter 25 - Trial​

A dark forest was all that existed for miles on end, and in the black night, its boundaries seemed limitless. There was a deathly silence in the forest, as not a living creature stirred in the hour. A strong wind blew through the leaves every so often, creating the only sound in the area. The floor of the forest contained heavy vegetation and little light in the daytime, making it always seem like night, even on the brightest days. It was a forest that few had much knowledge of and few ventured into. It was the perfect place to be isolated.

The morning sun began to rise over the mountains in the horizon, casting its rays over the canopy of the forest. No light shined on the forest floor, but there was one living thing that felt the sun heating the trapped air of the forest. That one living thing began stirring as the clothing that he wore began to cause him to sweat. He rolled over several times and finally, as if activated by a switch, his eyes opened.

Captain Dunning was sprawled out on his back on the ground, and once his eyes opened, he saw the tall rugged trunks and high canopy towering over him. The scene was incomprehensible to him at that moment as his consciousness still eluded him. His eyes only wandered in a cycle, admiring the trees in all their glory, but soon, the man’s mind returned to him, and he quickly sprang to his feet.

Reaching down to his holster for his sidearm, Captain Dunning did not feel the familiar grip of his pistol. Confused, he looked down and saw that it had been removed, meaning that somebody didn’t want him to have the power of deadly force with him. However, he swiftly reached into his vest and searched around for another item. Feeling it brought him a touch of hope, and he pulled out an item that was shaped like another pistol. However, this pistol did not fire bullets, but instead tranquilizer darts, but it was the only form of defense the Captain had remaining. Relief passed through him since whoever had disarmed him neglected to remove the tranquilizer gun from him, or just couldn’t find it.

He then set out, tranquilizer pointing forward at the ready, walking slowly and quietly over the dirt ground and light vegetation. As he ventured on, the vegetation grew thicker, and travel became more difficult and noisy. The Captain didn’t know why, but his gut feeling told him that this forest was not any normal forest. It even felt like he somewhat recognized the forest, or just somehow knew of it like he had read about it before. Captain Dunning pushed the thoughts out of his mind as he pushed on, determined to find out where he was and what he was doing there.

He then pushed through a large bush, and he found himself on short cliff, looking down into a quarry. Making a quick decision to press on, the Captain slid his way down the cliff and landed inside the pit. Bringing his gun forward, he slowly began walking through the pit, ready to combat any sudden encounters. The tension was high, and a foul air seemed to blow through. A drop of sweat dripped down his temples, like he was in a hostage standoff, waiting for the captor to make a mistake.

In the dimly lit pit, Captain Dunning was unable to see more than several meters, but a strange noise echoed along the walls of the pit. It was a deep sound, one of a familiar nature, but at the same time the source of the sound eluded the Captain. He squinted his eyes in an attempt to gain a clearer view of his surroundings, only to give in to the futility of it. Captain Dunning continued moving forward, but at a more cautious stance, still trying to identify the sound.

Then a rare occurrence happened. Through a small opening in the trees, a sliver of light was cast down onto the moist earth. The light attracted Captain Dunning’s eyes in the darkness, and he soon changed his course to approach the light. It was like food for the Captain’s eyes after being starved from light for so long. Soon, he was upon the small illuminated circle that had managed to penetrate through the trees. Captain Dunning looked up at the thin beam and stared lazily at the hole through which the light entered.

The noise then sounded again, but this time, it was much closer to Captain Dunning. He was able to locate the source coming from the right, and he quickly spun in that direction with his tranquilizer gun aimed. What he saw confirmed his fears of the forest, and he knew that if Ash and his friends were also in the forest, they would be in great danger.

The looming creature in the darkness then opened its two eyes, and stood up with its four legs, claws at the ready. It growled menacingly at the puny human before him, and snapped its claws for intimidation. Even with the odds against him, the Captain carefully aimed down the sight of his gun and waited for his opponent to make its first move.

“Come and get me, ya’ big purple freak.”

--------------------

“ARGH, WERE WE KNOCKED OUT AGAIN?!”

A very irate trainer picked himself off the ground and looked around him. Being put to sleep once was one thing, but twice in the same day was extra frustrating to the teenaged boy. At least, he thought it was the same day.

After a few moments of venting, the trainer calmed himself down and began to notice the unfamiliar surroundings.

“Uh… where am I?” said Ash out loud.

He looked around and realized that besides the trees and vegetation, he was the only living thing around, so he realized that he was talking to himself.

Then a shocking fact hit him.

“Pikachu? Are you around here?” the boy first asked quietly.

There was no response from his best friend.

“Pikachu?! PIKACHU?!” panicked Ash.

Another jarring reality hit the trainer as he momentarily stopped his calling for Pikachu.

“My Pokéballs are gone!” he yelled into dark forest. Things were beginning to get worse and worse for Ash as he realized the predicament he was in.

“PIKACHU!!” screamed Ash one last time in desperation. If Pikachu did not hear that call, then he was definitely no where near him.

No call from his best friend returned, and Ash began to feel isolation creeping into him, making him suddenly feel great fear inside the dark forest. The trees seemed to close in on him, and the darkness engulfed everything around him. He had been separated from Pikachu many times before, but that separation was usually caused by Team Rocket, and he always was able to rescue his buddy. Now, Pikachu was no where to be found, and Ash had no idea where his friend could be. He didn’t even know where he was. Claustrophobia began to set in as Ash began backing up to try to escape the dreadful setting, only to run his back into a tree. Finally breaking, the teenaged boy broke into a run and began sprinting aimlessly, trying to escape from the forest prison.

The trainer’s eyes bulged as they searched wildly around for anything that wasn’t a tree or bush, but nothing changed as he continued to run. It was like he was running on a conveyer belt, as nothing seemed to move around him. The trees began to look identical, and it felt like he was running in place. Soon, fatigue took over the boy’s body, and he collapsed onto his knees, then his front. From a bush not far from where Ash collapsed, a pair of eyes observed the fainted boy.

--------------------

She was alone.

It had been a long time since she was last alone.

Her friends and Pokéballs were gone, and there was not a sound about.

Dawn sat against a tree with her arms holding her legs against her chest. The lack of light itself was enough to cause the girl to become frozen stiff, and adding the seemingly endless horde of trees and bushes in every direction was no encouragement.

It wasn’t particularly fear or isolation that froze her, though those emotions were present within her, it was something else.

It was the fact that she didn’t know what to do.

When she was with her friends, there was always a path set for her. The road to the next gym leader or the next Pokémon contest was always present. Ash in particular was the main driving force as he was always pumped and ready to tackle whatever obstacles lay before him to continue on his journey. It was always inspiring to her how even if he was beaten back, Ash would always recompose himself and try again, and that would usually end in success. Perhaps that was the reason why Dawn admired and liked him so much.

It was different for her though, because there was no possible with the way to have a rematch with the way contests were run. Just recently in the Hearthome City Contest, she was knocked out early in the appeal round, creating an abrupt void in her young coordinating career. A deep disappointment and blow to her self-esteem followed the defeat, and there was no way she could redeem herself like Ash would in a rematch. The only time she could test herself again was during another contest, which are few are far compared to random Pokémon battles that Ash would get into with various trainers.

The path for Dawn was so linear, since the few contests create a do or die scenario for coordinators like her. So for the young coordinator, forks in the road are few and far, and always daunting obstacles. And now was one of them.

With her lack of independence, Dawn could not conjure the thoughts needed for survival in the dark forest. She always had Ash and Brock helping her along, mentoring her, feeding her, housing her, and the likes. Her journey started out right in the hands of the two older males, but now with them gone, she was at a complete loss.

She could only sit there and wait.

-----------------

A sound rang in Ash’s ear, but in the boy’s half-conscious state, he couldn’t identify what the sound was. Seconds passed before the sound came again, and this time recognizing the nature of the sound he was brought into consciousness. He opened his eyes wide in alarm, and pushed himself off the ground to begin running towards the direction of the source.

All the past feelings of isolation and fear momentarily left him as the sound signified that there was another human presence in the forest brought him hope, but realizing that the sound was a cry of distress unnerved him at the same time. It was almost like he had heard the voice many times before as well.

Then a voice entered Ash’s ears, and he instantly recognized it.

“Get away… whatever the heck you are!”

“MAY!” yelled Ash as he dove through a cluster of vegetation, tripping as he did so and falling into a roll.

“Ash!” screamed May as she turned around seeing him crash through the bushes.

The teenaged boy quickly picked himself off the ground and stood cautiously. “What’s going on?!” he exclaimed while wildly glancing around in the darkness.

“THAT!” May pointed upwards at a large hulking figure that stood only a few meters before them.

In the darkness, it was almost impossible to see any details about the giant, but Ash could see a pair of large white eyes and a pair of some sort of extending limb from both sides of them. The thing let out a deep growl as it leaned towards the two humans threatening.

There was no time for fear; only adrenaline and the thought of protecting May coursed through Ash’s body. To him, running wasn’t a viable option since the area in which they were was enclosed on all sides by thick forage. Thinking on his feet, the trainer swept a large, thick tree branch from the ground a few meters away and held it in front of him, ready to do battle with the large monster before them.

The low growl emanated from the figure again, and began approaching Ash and May slowly. May gasped as she brought her hands together under her chin. Instinct told her to run away, to grab Ash and run away, but the sight of the boy she had barely spoken to in the past few days standing fast with little armament against an intimidating beast compelled her to stay. However, the fear of him being seriously injured by whatever was threatening them still pierced her.

Ash peered at his enemy through narrowed eyes as he watched it approach him ever so slowly. The growls from whatever the thing was steadily grew louder and soon became snarls of hostility. However, Ash was not shaken. In his mind, there was too much at stake for him to risk attempting to escape and having the stalker become a pursuer. Even though his Pokémon were not in his possession, he could feel each of them encouraging and cheering him on, especially Pikachu. He knew what he had to do, and even if he failed, it would give May the chance to make her escape.

“May,” Ash began, but was cut off.

“No…” the coordinator said softly. “Don’t do this alone… We can run together… We can hide together…”

For a second, Ash was brought considered her suggestions. They could run. They could hide. They could work together. But for some reason, a force inside him was urging him to follow through with his own foolish plan. A voice of someone resonated through his head, repeating words Ash had heard before.

“So you abandoned her?”

The voice echoed as he turned his head to look back at May, who in turn stared back into his eyes with fear in her face. Suddenly, it hit him. He knew why he was doing what he was doing something so nonsensical. Why he was chose to fight instead of flee. Then, for no particular reason, Ash answered the question out loud.

“No, I didn’t, and I never will." Ash gave a little smile to May as he said that. It wasn’t his usual cocky smile either, but one of sweetness, affection, and a bit of sadness. May’s mouth opened in slight surprise, but before she could show any response, Ash turned away and sprung into a charge for the opportunity to prove himself.

----------------

Afterthought

We’ve all had our own trials. I know I did.

EarthBorn

ConVulATiON
Hello.
Don't have much time, I'm keeping this short.

cichawk said:

Purple? WHO'S THAT POKEMON?

“Pikachu?! PIKACHU?!” panicked Ash.

Another jarring reality hit the trainer as he momentarily stopped his calling for Pikachu.

“My Pokéballs are gone!” he yelled into dark forest. Things were beginning to get worse and worse for Ash as he realized the predicament he was in.

“PIKACHU!!” screamed Ash one last time in desperation. If Pikachu did not hear that call, then he was definitely no where near him.

Yes, this is Ash.
Poor Ash.

“May,” Ash began, but was cut off.

“No…” the coordinator said softly. “Don’t do this alone… We can run together… We can hide together…”

Don't quite think so.
Poor Ash. (Do I hear an echo somewhere?)

Alright, that was a bit of an interlude. Still no sign of my favorite assassin though. I'll leave it to the others to correct typos and such.

swampert55

It's rude to ignore your PM list, you know.

He then pushed through a large bush, and he found himself on short cliff
Missed an a.

If Pikachu did not hear that call, then he was definitely no where near him.
I believe that is one word. (correct me if I'm wrong)

The thing let out a deep growl as it leaned towards the two humans threatening.
Threatening what?

Originally Posted by cichawk
A Nidoking/queen or a Gengar?(darts wouldn't help against a Gengar though)

Last edited:

swampert55

He then pushed through a large bush, and he found himself on short cliff
Missed an a.

If Pikachu did not hear that call, then he was definitely no where near him.
I believe that is one word. (correct me if I'm wrong)

The thing let out a deep growl as it leaned towards the two humans threatening.
Threatening what?

Originally Posted by cichawk
A Nidoqueen?

GrizzlyB

Confused and Dazed
swampert55 said:

Seriously. I rarely come here unless PM'd.

One thing I'm noticing is that some of your descriptions seem redundant. Take this one, for instance.
It was like he was running on a conveyer belt, as nothing seemed to move around him. The trees began to look identical, and it felt like he was running in place.
Granted, it seems like you had two different ideas of what to write there, and forgot to delete one, but you seem to be describing the same things without varying each description sort of often, like overusing 'light' (not to mention, 'conveyor' is misspelled there).

So, we don't know what's become of Brock, yet. Eh, oh well. And my guess at the hunter Pokemon is Drapion.

cichawk

<-- It looks SILLY
Earthborn

Hello.
Don't have much time, I'm keeping this short.

Well I kept everything pretty short myself.

IT'S PIKACHU.

Yes, this is Ash.
Poor Ash.

Using old plot devices is fun.

Don't quite think so.
Poor Ash. (Do I hear an echo somewhere?)

Um, I'm not really sure how I was going to respond to that. Oh well, here's the response.

Alright, that was a bit of an interlude. Still no sign of my favorite assassin though. I'll leave it to the others to correct typos and such.

Yeah, he'll be on vacation like I was.

swampert55

Wow, I guess it really has been a while.

Threatening what?

-ly.

A Nidoqueen?

IT's KOFFING - GODDAMIT! (Hopefully you already picked up the internet reference from a response from above.

GrizzlyB

Seriously. I rarely come here unless PM'd.

I knew I forgot to do something last night.

Granted, it seems like you had two different ideas of what to write there, and forgot to delete one, but you seem to be describing the same things without varying each description sort of often, like overusing 'light' (not to mention, 'conveyor' is misspelled there).

I guess the reason for that is because I write things on separate days sometimes, so I forget what I wrote on a previous date and write it again.

So, we don't know what's become of Brock, yet. Eh, oh well. And my guess at the hunter Pokemon is Drapion.

Brock landed in paradise. No just kidding, I don't really know yet either.

Anyway, yeah this chapter was more focused on random character development, because I felt like exercising that aspect of my writing. That, and prove I still know what actually goes on in Pokemon.

cichawk

<-- It looks SILLY
Foreword

Hi… It’s been a while… again.

--------------------

Chapter 26 – Premonitions​

“AHHHH!” yelled a young trainer wielding a tree branch as he charged whatever creature loomed before him.

“ASH! NO!”

Ash neared the beast until he was only a few steps away from it, and then leapt up to attempt to strike his foe with his weapon. However, with agility that few would think it could have, the large creature made a 180 degree turn and struck its attacker violently with its tail. Ash felt the wind knocked out of him as the blow connected with his abdomen while he was still airborne. The powerful blow knocked him backwards, sending him tumbling on the ground for several meters.

A shriek of fear and concern emanated from May’s throat as she watched the trainer roll along the hard forest floor, then stopping halfway between her and the monster. In her mind, she could not decide if Ash was being a brave hero, or a foolish boy, but one thing was certain, and it was that Ash stood no chance against whatever was assaulting them and could possibly be killed.

“Ash, please stop!” May called to Ash as he slowly picked himself off the ground, using his branch as support. “You can’t fight whatever that thing is by yourself! You’ll get seriously injured! Or worse...”

For a moment, the beaten teen seemed to return to his senses, and he turned his head to gaze at the girl that had his heart. He looked into her wide sapphire eyes and admired their beauty, then changed his view to her entire face. Though it was filled with fright and anxiety, it still looked like the face of an angel to him.

A low growl came from his front, and Ash changed his gaze back to his opponent. The bubbly feelings he just had disappeared, and a sort of rage took over his mind. It wasn’t that he was angry at the beast for attacking them, it was that he was frustrated that he was still powerless, no matter how dire the situation. If Altaïr was around, he would probably dispose of the creature in a few simple moves, with or without his Pokémon. Ash didn’t know why, but he wanted to be like him. He wanted to have physical strength that was permanent, not powers like Aura which he could only seem to call upon at some times, or strange connections with Legendary Pokémon. Though those attributes set him apart as well, they proved useful at only a few particular situations.

Now he wanted the power to always protect May. Or was that the actual reason? Maybe a little jealousy also contributed to his thirst for strength. After all, he did see Altaïr and May together at that dance…

“No, I can’t stop now…” Ash said in a low voice, barely above a whisper.

“But…” May didn’t know what else she could say to get the boy that truly had her own heart to stop. But with those feelings of affection she had, pain came attached as well. The memories of how she could not receive any signs of affection back from him and then deciding to pursue Drew plagued her, and the sight of Ash and Dawn together at the dance felt like blades cutting into her when she first saw them. However, the memories of pain were pushed away as now her entire attention was focused on Ash and the dangerous situation they were in.

“HERE I COME!” Ash roared at his opponent as he faced forward and began charging.

May could only watch in horror as the next series of events took place.

Ash once again charged straight at the beast and jumped into the air, but the beast, easily able to predict the trainer’s simple tactics, was prepared to end this fight once and for all. As Ash began to bring his weapon down to strike the creature’s abdomen, it bent down low and out of the shadows, two claws came forward and slashed diagonally in opposite directions, aimed directly at the person charging; Ash.

From the teenaged boy's perspective, it was a quick flash, a funny feeling across his chest, and the force of being propelled violently backwards. Instead of tumbling this time, he remained on his back as he slid, causing a great burning sensation and him to grunt in pain.

This time, no words exited May’s mouth, and instead she rushed to where Ash had stopped after sliding. She dropped to her knees beside the teen and quickly began to look him over. What she witnessed caused her to make a sort of choking noise in her throat as she viewed the carnage before her.

Across Ash’s chest were two large gashes in an X shaped pattern that ripped right through his clothing. Blood seeped through the wounds and spread along the fabric of his vest, darkening the yellow line across it. The cuts looked to be fairly deep, and without proper medical support, blood loss could soon be a problem. May felt herself shaking as she hovered over his chest, trying to come up with some way to treat him, but knowing that she was unable to do so without a medical background. She wasn’t able to let tears loose, as the only emotion in her mind was a stunned sensation and increasing panic.

Then she looked at his face, and the sight of that caused her to break down further. Ash’s face displayed not a look of contortion or pain, but instead a peaceful look, like he had just died a peaceful death. He was passed out due to the shock and no breath seemed to come from his slightly ajar mouth. His eyes were open, but they only gave a blank, lifeless stare. The thought of him actually being gone finally hit May hard, and a choked sob escaped her throat.

“No… Ash… why did you have to go do that…” she whispered as her chest tightened and her face became hot. Her eyes felt as if they were burning while they began to water up.

A grunt came from above May, causing her to look upwards straight into the glowing eyes of the humongous beast towering over her. She gave a quick shriek and quickly backed off several meters in fear. Though it was still relatively dark, May could now make out several characteristics of the monster. In fact, it looked like some sort of Pokémon, with its gaping mouth and armored body. She had never seen any Pokémon that fit that description before though, so she knew nothing about its abilities or behavior.

The Pokémon then stepped over Ash’s limp body and stretched its long neck so it could take a good look at the puny human that had just tried to combat it. Suddenly, a switch was turned inside May as she thought of a way of getting Ash away from the Pokémon and into safety. She knew that with his wounds, Ash may not live much longer even if the Pokémon did not attack him again. Ash had protected and rescued her so many times before, and now it was time to return the favor.

Clenching her hands into fists, the coordinator stood up and took a step towards the Pokémon that threatened her best friend, and prepared herself for what was to come.

“I won’t let you hurt him anymore.”

----------------

“Dammit, bugger nearly tore my leg straight off.”

Captain Dunning grunted and cursed as he limped his way out of the quarry, just putting down his adversary with a few well placed tranquilizer shots. However, the battle did not go about without wounds to the Captain.

“Gotta dress this before I start losing too much blood… not that it would matter if I got poisoned.”

Finally reaching the top of the incline, Captain Dunning let himself collapse as the physical strain of scaling the incline with an injury was a bit overbearing, even for a well trained policeman like him. He panted heavily as he rolled over onto his back, staring up into the dark canopy that shadowed the world below.

“Ugh… ha… it seems like… ha… some poison is starting to… ha… kick in…” sweat was now starting to roll off his brow, and a feverish tinge blotched his cheeks. He needed an antidote, and quick.

But the poison was now causing his muscles to weaken, disallowing him to work himself onto his feet. The Captain could only lie there staring at the trees as his fever continued to rise and his vision began to blur. His breathing was becoming shallower by the seconds, as the muscles of his lungs were being affected by the poison.

“Looks… ha… like… ha… I’m going… out…” Captain Dunning slowly closed his eyes as he let the embrace of death overtake him.

Unfortunately, the embrace of death included an object hitting his forehead. Strangely, the object was soft and squishy, so it simply plopped onto his forehead and stayed there. Captain Dunning slowly opened his eyes once again, being interrupted from his death.

“Whuzz…zat?” he slurred while using much effort to move his right arm onto his face and feel for the object. He removed the soft object from his head and used his last remaining strength to hold it above his eyes.

“Pecha…?” and then the Captain blacked out.

---------------

“Now I know I definitely heard something that time.”

It was impossible to tell the time of the day, but to a certain Pokémon breeder, it was nearing the time that he generally cooked dinner. His matriarchal instincts never failed him.

“Somebody… or something, is watching me. I can just feel it.”

Brock spun around several times quickly, trying to catch whatever was tailing him by surprise and in the open, but he came to no such luck. A bead of sweat dripped down his temple as paranoia unnerved him. Usually, he was able to remain calm and collected in such situations, but for some reason, the combination of the darkness and the silent forest was able to break down his logical sense of reasoning.

“Ghosts. Is it ghosts? Ghost Pokémon maybe? Or… real ghosts?”

His ears were on full alert, waiting for the slightest sound to catch their attention so their owner could finally solve the mystery of what was going on. Brock stood motionless for a good ten minutes, then twenty, then a half hour, but no sound entered his ears.

“I think I’m just being… paranoid… that’s it.”

Feeling more secure, Brock continued on his endless trek, not knowing where to go or what to do. As he mindlessly wandered, his thoughts began to float to back to all the events that had happened in the past five days, with the advent of meeting Altaïr, the discovery of the Pokémon contest, the contest training, Dawn’s encounter in the alley, the start of the Pokémon contest, Altaïr’s strange behavior, Altaïr’s confession and disappearance, the orders from Captain Dunning, and finally their excursion. It was a lot to happen in just five simple days, though it wasn’t like Brock hadn’t had similar timelines of crazy events. However, the current situation he was under seemed to have an unusual sort of direct threat toward him and his friends, with Captain Dunning being assigned to them with heavily armed personnel. It had been a while since Brock and his friends had encountered anything exciting, but this was a little over the top for his wishes.

“Man, I’ve never come across a guy like Altaïr either. I mean I’ve met agents from different kinds of organizations, like Lance from the Pokémon G-Men, and Jack Walker from the Pokémon Rangers, but Altaïr has a kind of… different air to him. And the organization he works for… what was it? The PDI? It stands for Pokémon Defense Initiative? What do they really do? How come no one’s ever heard of them before? I’m pretty sure if they’re working for the government, they have to be recognized somehow right? Unless the government is hiding their existence from us! But why?”

A breeze began to whistle as it passed the canopy high above. It was an extremely windy day because of the Foehn winds of the nearby mountains, but little of the wind could be felt in the forest as the dense leaves of the trees that spanned over 20 meters high shielded the floor from the majority of the harsh winds. Deep in thought, the whistles passed seamlessly through his brain and cancelled out all other noise that went on around him, whatever little noise there was in the forest excluding the wind.

“If you ask me, any secret organization that performs covert military operations sounds like bad news to me, mercenaries or not. I mean, Altaïr knocked us out to get on with his mission for crying out loud! But then, why did he give us so many details about his mission if he was heading out to complete it?

Brock subconsciously stopped as he began to ponder the agent’s motives. It was definitely strange for a covert operative to divulge a great amount of detail to a bunch of random travelers, and Brock felt finicky over the possibilities of reasons.

Suddenly, the breeder’s foot ran into an object on the ground and kicked it slightly forward. The contact snapped Brock out of his thinking trance, and he glanced down to see what he had hit, and what he saw was caused him to jump back slightly.

“What-What’s this d-doing here?” he stammered.

On the ground lay an assault rifle, similar to the one that Captain Dunning carried on the truck. For all he knew, the rifle could be the exact same one that Captain Dunning did carry; there was no way to tell it apart from any other ordinary rifle. What was most jarring was the fact that it was just lying there in the middle of nowhere on the forest floor, as if it had been waiting for him. Brock didn’t think he was anywhere near the place they… actually, he had no idea what area he was thinking about. He could remember that he and his friends were being transported to Veilstone City, but he could not remember how he ended up in the forest in the first place. One minute, they were sitting in a semi-truck and the next, he was alone lying on the ground.

Brock merely stared at the deadly weapon that seemed to beckon him to pick it up, but using his better senses, Brock felt he had no reason to arm himself, and he opted to ignore it. However, that feeling vanished immediately.

“DRAAAAAA!”

“WHAT THE!?” Brock managed to fall to his side just in time to avoid a quick flash from connecting with his chest. Whatever had tried to attack him was now directly on top of him, and if Brock didn’t act soon, he’d be cut up into Swiss cheese.

Acting on adrenaline and self-defense, the breeder snatched the weapon that was beside him and quickly pulled the bolt and aimed it upwards at his assailant. But as he was just about to pull the trigger, he faintly saw the shape of some sort of large Pokémon staring down at him through his blurred vision due to the adrenaline. The man and the Pokémon stared into each other’s eyes, and saw the fear in one another. Neither made a single movement.

Then finally coming back to his senses, he realized that the fact that the attacker was a Pokémon alone caused him to hesitate, and then he lowered the rifle.

“I’m not here to hurt you,” the breeder said in a soft, but firm tone.

The Pokémon only stared back, and its next move was unreadable by Brock.

------------------

Afterthought

Sigh.

swampert55

I found far fewer errors here than I did in previous chapters. Good job with the proofreading.

Ash felt the wind knocked out of him as the blow connected with his abdomen while he was still airborne.
It's not specified that he jumped, or took any action that would cause him to become airborne.

he faintly saw the shape of some sort of large Pokémon staring down at him through his blurred vision due to the adrenaline.
Rather awkward, if you ask me.

cichawk

<-- It looks SILLY
Foreword

And the saga continues… after like, 3 months.

Not revised, so expect many errors.

-------------------

Chapter 27 - Lost​

The eyes of an unconscious police captain flickered as he stirred from a deep slumber. As his senses came to, the first distinct sense was his taste as a sweet flavor invaded his tongue. The taste was familiar in nature, and the Captain also noticed the inside of his mouth felt sticky. Soon, the rest of his consciousness returned, and he reabsorbed his surroundings.

Captain Dunning blinked several more times, regaining his focus, and the image of tall trees came into view, which wasn’t surprising to him as he knew full well where he was after having been in the forest for so long. What was surprising, though, was the fact that he was still alive. The Captain could clearly recall being wounded by the attacking Pokémon which also resulted in his poisoning. He remembered the intense fever he experienced soon afterward and then going unconscious. He also remembered an object falling onto his forehead, but he could not conjure the name, or even what the object looked like. It was no real matter to him, though. The point was that he was alive, and feeling well too, and he had a mission to carry out, if the mission was still even in effect at that point.

The Captain slowly picked himself off the cold dirt and worked his way to a stand. His body was stiff and sore from the earlier fight, however long ago that was. He took a quick glance around and spotted his tranquilizer gun lying next to him, and he painfully bent down and picked it back up. He then pulled the chamber of the gun back and let the magazine slide out from the handle, showing him that he was down to his last dart. Reloading the dart back in, he set out once again in search of Ash and the others.

“Which direction do I start though? Ah, no point wasting time in thinking about it. Guess I’ll just go this way.”

Setting out in a random direction, the Captain grunted as his joints ached and his cuts burned. There would be a lot of wandering to come in the lifeless forest as the Captain knew the kind monstrosities it held.

The location of the forest was between two small chains of mountains that jutted out of the side of the main chain of mountains that ran through Sinnoh. It was an uninhabited region as it was packed from mountain to mountain to trees, and the Pokémon that lived in there were known to be very aggressive, thus earning it the name the Blood Forest.

The Blood Forest was a sort of phenomenon, striking fear into anyone to which the name was mentioned to, but also at the same time attracting trainers seeking the most aggressive Pokémon in perhaps all the regions. The few who dared to wander in to attempt to capture a prize were often known to disappear eternally; bodies, in one piece or several, never exited. There were some survivors, but such were the trainers only cowardly, or rather smart enough to travel only within the first kilometer of the boarders of the forest. No rescue was ever sent into the forest further than that limit, even for distress calls of survivors past that point. Those survivors did not last much longer.

Captain Dunning knew that they must have been deep in the Blood Forest, which was never traversed by any human that survived. He knew that the forest was divided into five main territories of the five main species of Pokémon that resided in the thirty square kilometer area: Houndoom, Rhyperior, Scizor, Dusknoir, and Drapion. They were in the Drapion Territory.

The exact positions of the territories were unknown to any human, but the Drapion Territory was suspected to be around the deep center of the Blood Forest. Escape seemed to be impossible; even if Dunning was able to link up with the rest of the group, they would have to traverse through kilometers of hostile Pokémon with no Pokémon of their own. His own Pokémon was taken away along with his gun and equipment. Concern for his friend now surged through his body, causing a sick, heavy feeling in his chest, but as a SWAT captain, Dunning had to do his best to maintain his composure. Besides, he’s faced death scores of times before. This time however, his enemy was the Pokémon.

--------------------

Not a soul moved as Brock and the bestial Pokémon stared at one another, Brock unknowing of what its next move was. He began having second thoughts on surrendering himself to the whim of the Drapion, but as a trainer and breeder, he knew he would never be able to take the life of a Pokémon, no matter what it did to him.

The Drapion took a few extra moments to stare at the puny human before it. Their eyes met and it seemed to try to read Brock’s mind as it continued its stare. Then, giving a snort, it turned around and began scuttling away. This action amazed Brock, for he thought he was surely a goner, but apparently the Pokémon saw no point to tear him to pieces. He then let out the breath he had been holding in during the standoff and gasped deeply for air.

“Huff… I can’t… huff… believe… huff… I got away with that…”

Then Brock looked to his side and spotted the weapon lying on the ground where he dropped it.

“Hm, that gun… should I or should I not take it…?”

He knew that the forest held the danger of vicious Pokémon in it, but he did not know what else the forest could hold for him. It could have bandits in it for all he knew. Still, there was something about picking up that rifle and aiming it at a living thing that unnerved Brock. Just the thought of taking a life made Brock apprehensive, as he did not know what his conscious would do to him, even if he killed in self defense.

Bending down to examine the rifle, Brock constantly ran the same question in his head and whether or not he could deal with the consequences. His choice could mean either life or death in the forest, but also determine how he would behave and think in the future if he survived either way.

The breeder then picked up the rifle and took more looks at it from all angles. He had no idea how to work the thing, as all he knew about guns was that one pulls the trigger and it fires a bullet. He decided to give it a shot…

Taking aim upwards so that he wouldn’t accidentally hit anything, he began wondering if even doing this was such a good idea, as the sound might alert something to his position.

“Well, I’m just thinking too much. I’ll just fire one shot and see if I can cope with that.”

It was now or never, and Brock pulled the trigger of the weapon and before he knew it, he had thrown it back onto the ground. It wasn’t the recoil, but the sound it made when he fired it hat was so loud that it startled into throwing it away.

“This… this was a bad idea… I’m no soldier; I’m just a Pokémon breeder. I’ve got to get out of here.”

And with that, he began running in the first direction he turned.

-------------------

Technical difficulties, for some reason when I try to post the second half of my chapter, it gets an internal server error.

**Update**
Apparently this internal server 500 error is widespread, so all I can do is redirect you to my FF.net account where you can get the entire chapter. There's a link in my sig.

Shows how long I've been a way huh?

Last edited:

cichawk

<-- It looks SILLY
Technical difficulties, for some reason when I try to post the second half of my chapter, it gets an internal server error.

**Update**
Apparently this internal server 500 error is widespread, so all I can do is redirect you to my FF.net account where you can get the entire chapter. There's a link in my sig.

Shows how long I've been a way huh?

Last edited:

GrizzlyB

Confused and Dazed
I just realized I didn't review after your last chapter, which is sort of strange, seeing as I was bothering you about when it would go up. Ah, well.

Seems like not a whole lot happened in this chapter, though I suppose everybody seems to have made it out of danger, more or less. Except for Ash, and potentially Dawn, as it were. Also some good character development on May and Brock's parts. And for the record, I didn't notice any grammatical-type errors, so good work on that front (granted, I read it when you posted it, and skimmed back over it just now to recap, but still).