• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Pokemon New Game Plus Challenge (An easy way to make any Pokemon game hard)

shoz999

Back when Tigers used to smoke.
(Unless you want to read all of this, just skip to the third paragraph)
Hey there! Remember Pokemon X and Y? Thought they were too easy? Demanded more of a challenge huh? GameFreak gave you Sun and Moon? Still not hard enough? How about ULTRA Sun and Moon! Nope? Still not hard enough... well to those who've completed there games already or have a friend who has completed there games with an extra 3DS of course, there is a way to make ANY POKEMON GAME pretty hard with one easy simple little trick.

POWER ITEMS! I'm talking Macho Brace, Power Anklet, Power Brace etc. As most of you people know, X and Y are commonly thought to be the easiest games in the Pokemon series. In my last play through, I transferred my POWER ITEMS! to my new playthrough to raise a new team of Pokemon for a new journey and online competitions and by the holy horse buttocks of Arceus! That one simple change made X and Y suddenly much harder!

Seriously though. Power Items really do make any Pokemon game harder and especially in the 6th generation. Basically Power Items halves the speed of your Pokemon, increasing the chances of your opponent striking first and in the 6th gen, there are a lot of fast hard-hitting but frail Pokemon to choose from to make a team. This lowered speed + the lack of exp. share not only makes the Pokemon game harder but it actually makes it harder to level up your Pokemon as Gym Leaders will often one-shot your team under this challenge. I know this because I tried this and it significantly ramp up the difficulty.

This one change basically prevents you from easily one-shotting every Pokemon right from the start of the turn, turning most battles into Ultra Necrozma battles, where the opponent's Pokemon will almost always out speed you and will hit hard, maybe even sweep your entire team, and if you fall behind because of one-shots, opponents will out-level you too. This means you actually have to use your brain instead of just sweeping entire opposing teams. This especially made the Elite Four much harder. In my experience, Barbaracle and Druddigon went from laughably easy to intimidating threats with this one change.

Anyways, I feel this is a great way for people who want a harder challenge from there Pokemon games but also think the Nuzlocke challenge is just too much of a hindrance to be fun or the fact that all Pokemon must "die" if they lose a battle taking away the immersion. On the other hand, there is a reason why I call this New Game Plus because you really can't get the Power Items usually until near the end of the game.

Simple Rules
Attach a Power Item to all six of your Pokemon halving there speed.
Turn off EXP. Share.
That's it. Suddenly even the easiest gym leaders are much harder to beat.

Last edited: