• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Pokemon obtained using glitches

Do you Consider Darkrai and Shaymin obtaned using in game glitches legitimate?

• Total voters

Aquanova

I dont know if this has been discussed but I was wondering. Would pokemon obtained by use of an in game glitch be considered Legit. Im talking specifically about Darkrai and Shaymin in Diamond and Pearl, obtained using either the Elite 4 Door Glitch or Tweaking to enter the void and go to Newmoon Island/Flower Paradise. Since the items were only released for Platinum, do you cosider this a way to Legally optain Shaymin and Darkrai. Could you call them legit, like if you were trading them or something? The reason Im asking is I bought a legit Japanese D/P on Ebay for a great deal, with a Game guide as a bonus. I tested the Pearl game and i got extremely lucky, as The Surf Door glitch works and Im at Flower Paradise now saved in front of Shaymin. I dont know if it works on the Diamond, as I have to play that game through, but thats awesome im so lucky. So would that be Legit if I caught Shaymin. The game also had shiny legendaries in it I sent them all to English Pearl and they are GTS legit, so did i get get a ton of free shinies? Discuss

In my opinion any pokemon that you catch and did NOT edit (as in the POKEMON itself) in any ways it's legit. You hacked to get to it (or gliched in this case) but calling the pokemon that's sitting in the game by default hacked is well... just silly. That's just like saying the game hacked itself. The pokemon is legit in any case as far as my thinking goes, but not really the way you got to it. Gotta say though, it does suck when you buy a game and can't play it 100%, some events should just be in the game at all times.

In short - so long as the pokemon are not edited (stats and whatnot) they should be considerd legit, though all will never look at it one way or another.

In my opinion any pokemon that you catch and did NOT edit (as in the POKEMON itself) in any ways it's legit. You hacked to get to it (or gliched in this case) but calling the pokemon that's sitting in the game by default hacked is well... just silly. That's just like saying the game hacked itself. The pokemon is legit in any case as far as my thinking goes, but not really the way you got to it. Gotta say though, it does suck when you buy a game and can't play it 100%, some events should just be in the game at all times.

In short - so long as the pokemon are not edited (stats and whatnot) they should be considerd legit, though all will never look at it one way or another.

KGB13

Man of Mystery
I don't consider the exploitation of glitches as cheating. It's the developers fault for not making sure their game was 100% bug free before being distributed, so to me, it's an extra feature in the game.

EDIT: I accidentally voted for the wrong choice XD

Kindrindra

大事なのは自分らしいくある事
I don't see anything wrong with it. I mean, it's something that's in the game. I myself have never utilized it, but I still have to vouch for it. I mean, seriously. It's a cute legend. You want it. You don't have any way to get it via event or anything. There is something in the game that lets you get it. Then by all means, why should it be considered cheating?

PS: Yes, when I said cute legend, I was referring to Shaymin AND Darkrai. I just think like that. :p

Kindrindra

大事なのは自分らしいくある事
I don't see anything wrong with it. I mean, it's something that's in the game. I myself have never utilized it, but I still have to vouch for it. I mean, seriously. It's a cute legend. You want it. You don't have any way to get it via event or anything. There is something in the game that lets you get it. Then by all means, why should it be considered cheating?

PS: Yes, when I said cute legend, I was referring to Shaymin AND Darkrai. I just think like that. :p

Cryptic Blaze

Blinded by the light
I think it is legit because they are already in the game in an area you can't normally access without the event items. If you have a way to get to them then by all means, get them. You have to battle them and catch them the old fashion way no matter how you get there so why should it be considered cheating? It's not like you're using a hacking device to make a fake Darkri/Shaymin.

tom-tom

Furret <3
Well, i think that if it is in the game then it is not cheating. Plus, you should be able to catch Darkrai and Shaymin without a wifi event.

Toxicano

Lord of Shuckles
If someone uses a cheating device to get...let's say Oak's letter or the Azure flute, but they catch the pokemon without any form of cheating, then I'd consider it fair, since not everyone CAN get the event items no matter how much they want or try. But if someone uses a 100% catch cheat, or something to make a special pokemon show up in the wild(or the commonly seen Mining Museum legendaries) then no, they put no effort into obtaining it. And if they get it because of an in-game glitch, I'd consider it fair as well, because again, it'd require them to actually try to catch said pokemon.

TehBrawlGuy~

You're breaking the rules of the game via glitch by doing something clearly not intended. Rage moveset glitch isn't considered legit, (cool as it is) so why is this?

Electric

I consider it cheating. You are saved in front of Shaymin, and you probably have doubt in you. You accessed that Shaymin in a way that was not intended to, so I would consider that cheating.

If you were taking a test and the teacher forgot to erase some notes or a little hint on the board, would you be honest and not cheat, or look up and tell the teacher? In the game, it's a glitch which means it was NOT INTENDED to be that way. Just because Game Freak messed up doesn't mean you all can claim that it's legit. It technically is still hacking because Nintendo NEVER released an event for those Pokemon.

Aquanova

I personally consider them compltely legit. This way you can also get it shiny. I just wanted to know other's opinion. I was save in front of Shaymin to SR it. I took a break from this to access Goon's Scizor event. I can go back. You guys dont know how lucky I was to get this JP Pearl, with the glitch intact. I didnt know it would work before I tryed it, thats why I did. There are several benefits to doing it by Glitches:
You can SR it.
You can use Synchronize on it
You can use any Pokeball you want
You can get it shiny
You can Nickname it
You can Put it on the GTS( you dont have to do this if you consider it un legit) so you can clone it
but if you dont want to simply dont, trade for it instead. ts harder to get these pokemon now that the events are over, and they probably wont repeat them.
I just want to know if you think hypthetically, you can call it legit, say on a trading thread.

Electric

I wouldn't call them legit because I wanted them the correct method. A legit Pokemon is caught in a legal manner. Catching Pokemon by glitches is usually discouraged and performing glitches in online games usually leads to permanent bans. It's not technically a legit Pokemon.

thetifftiff

The pokemon itself is legit, there is no question there. Event only are awful things that I will never understand, I went into Gamestop, got a couple jirachi, and left without buying anything. Pichus and pokewalker maps were done in my dining room, again without buying anything. Now I understand that the reason I missed out on the darkrai and shaymin events was because I had not yet spent the money to get Platinum but for the most part, Nintendo gets no extra money for keeping a pokemon event only and therefore I would not be taking anything away from them if I were to glitch or hack my way to the shaymin, darkrai, or arceus conveniently sitting in otherwise unreachable places in my Diamond cartridge.

As far as I know, your shaymin will pass a hack test so I see no issue with you using it if you want to. The companies involved can't honestly not expect people to cheat the way they set the games up and the difference between the shaymin and darkrai you are after and an outright hacked pokemon (through encounter or mining museum cheats for example) is that the pokemon itself is legit whereas the other ways of getting them are a different pokemon altered by a cheating device to be what you told it to be when you encountered or revived it from a fossil. A friend of mine has shiny mews that are hacked and never uses them against people and only trades them to people if they understand that they are hacked and she refers to them as really a zigzagoon or something because of where she caught them, that's pretty much what encounter cheats do whereas getting to Faraway Island in Emerald would get you a real pokemon that is meant to be a mew, even if you get there by less than legit means.

TehBrawlGuy~

To add on to my earlier post, I've got nothing against glitched Pokemon, but they aren't legit in the true sense. Battle-wise, they are, (I'm also fine with sheer hax if the stats are legit) but not trade-wise. If you're trading one, why not just say it's glitched? Those who DC, DC. Those who do won't waste their or your time.

Again, I seriously want to see people owned by Rageglitch sets and then tell me any glitch is legit. IMO more comparison is needed between the two, one's a clear ban and it gives us a mark to work with. Under this logic, those sets are very legit. The only thing different is that one wrecks the metagame.

Getting all the events is really hard especially if your not in Japan. So I agree its fine.

This is silly, all of you who think it's non-legit are confusing me, so let me ask. What makes the POKEMON non-legit? I know it's cheating to get to it, but having the event or not won't change the pokemon itself. What I mean is that as soon as you start the game the pokemon is just sitting there waiting 100% legit, so no matter how you get to it, it won't change the pokemon, it will just change the way you got to it.

The glitch is an exploit; cheating. The pokemon however is unchanged and therefore legit.

Again, I seriously want to see people owned by Rageglitch sets and then tell me any glitch is legit. IMO more comparison is needed between the two, one's a clear ban and it gives us a mark to work with. Under this logic, those sets are very legit. The only thing different is that one wrecks the metagame.

The transform/rage glitch is a glitch that DIRECTLY affects the POKEMON itself, and NOT the way you obtain it. Glitching is cheating and when it's done to a pokemon... well there you go, it's exploited and therefore unfair. However, the way you catch a pokemon doesn't affect the pokemon itself so it doesn't exploit the pokemon in anyway, therefore is legit, so that's my opinion on how the two compare.

Swampert_trainer

Laughs at thunder
The way I see it, there is nothing wrong with using a glitch to catch a Pokemon. I used the Cerulean bridge glitch in Red to catch Mew. The thing is, if you're going to trade that Pokemon to someone, you should inform them that you did obtain the Pokemon by utilizing a glitch. If the person is fine with that, then everyone is happy, but some people might not wan't a Pokemon caught that way, so it's best to ask them before the trade occurs if they're okay with it.