1. We have moved to a new forum system. All your posts and data should have transferred over. Welcome, to the new Serebii Forums. Details here
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
    Dismiss Notice
  3. If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders
    Dismiss Notice

Pokemon occurence rate by area type

Discussion in 'Pokemon GO Discussion' started by yumenokage, Jul 26, 2016.

1. yumenokage

yumenokage faerie dragon ghost

So, I've seen a few scattered posts about this, but no thread to tackle the specific topic, so I decided to make one.

Basically, what I want to gather data on is this: what area types (terrain, urbanness, general area of the globe, etc.) lead to what kinds of pokemon being common?

Be as detailed or vague as you like, and use whatever format; the only rule is follow forum rules and don't reveal your specific location.

ie.

I'm in the South of the USA where it's hot and humid and rains a fair deal, there are a number of smaller water sources like a relatively small river and lake around, and there are trees and green stuff growing like crazy everywhere. There aren't many open fields without trees, and while it's not in the middle of the countryside, it's a relatively spread out, smallish city. Pretty much everywhere I play has stands of trees and water sources within at least 10 minutes. However, I am hours away from the beach.

In my area, the following pokemon appear at approximately these rates:

extremely common

pidgey
    rattatta

common
    spearow
    zubat (more so at night and perhaps more urban areas)
    weedle
    magikarp (but only directly near a water source)
    psyduck (only along river walk and strangely in front of our campus library, which isn't particularly near water)

fairly common
    venonat
    eevee
    caterpie

uncommon

paras
    oddish
    nidoran male
    nidoran female
    bellsprout
    pidgeotto
    exceccute
    krabby (but only appears near water; strangely also a fountain on campus seemed to count)
    poliwag (only near water
    starmie (only at least relatively near water)

very uncommon*
    meowth (campus)
    tangela
    jiggleypuff
    clefairy
    slowpoke (near water)
    goldeen (only near water)

rare/very-rare*

starmie (near water)
    horsea (near water or fountain)
    ekans (more urban?)
    parasect
    fearow
    diglett
    bulbasaur, ivysuar, squirtle, and wartortle (I've seen shadows for all of them, and bulbasaur's in particular shows up every now and then, but I've only caught bulbasuar, and only once)
    ghastly
    mankey (campus)
    koffing/wheezing (campus)
    metapod,kakuna,beedrill
    raticate
    pinsir
    dodrio (saw shadow in town)
    drowsee (one seen/caught, no other shadows; at night)
    abra (one seen/caught, no other shadows; at night)
    golbat (one caught)
    nidorina (one caught in area and another on trip to the beach)
    venomoth (one caught)
    bulbasuar (one caught)
    tentacruel (one caught near a lured fountain on campus)
    dragonite (one caught at riverwalk)
    dratini (shadows seen at riverwalk and around dam site)
    pikachu (saw shadow once)
    magmar (shadow once only)
    rhydon (shadow once only
    kingler (one near fountain)

conspicuously missing
    electric, steel, ground, rock, and fire types in general

*ranking subject to change with more info

when I went to the beach in florida near alabama, I saw a lot of dodrio in the area, and strangely there were a lot of caterpie right near the ocean. Also caught my first ponyta and tentacool.

2. Flash525

Flash525 New Member

I rarely struggle to find a Pidgey, Ratatta or Weedle, though I have more than enough of them as it is. They're exactly like the old games. :p

3. yumenokage

except the hordes of geodudes are missing for me...

4. porygonfan

porygonfan Well-Known Member

What I found weird was me and a friend were walking playing, I had incense working, and we ran into the exact same Pokemon at the exact same time and location! So much for random?

5. Lexya428

Lexya428 Pokèmon Master

I'm going to post my list because I thought it may help, I'm from the notheastern part of the United States in a small town. I'm on level 15, not impressive, but it works. I do want to say that it doesn't seem that Zubat nor Gastly appear at any given time or place. Water types on the other hand seem to appear more when I'm in the general vicinity of water.

extremely common

Pidgey
    Weedle
    Eevee

common
    Spearow
    Zubat
    Ratatta
    Clefairy
    Nidoran Male

fairly common
    Venonat
    Catperie
    Paras
    Nindoran Female
    Drowzee

uncommon

Oddish
    Bellsprout
    Pidgeotto
    Kakuna
    Nidorino

very uncommon*
    Magikarp
    Jigglypuff
    Gastly
    Metapod
    Nidorina
    Squirtle*
    Charmander*
    Geodude *

rare/very-rare*

Poliwag
    Starmie
    Slowpoke
    Goldeen*
    Meowth
    Exggecute
    Tangela *
    Horsea
    Ekans *
    Parasect *
    Fearow *
    Diglett *
    Bulbasaur *
    Ivysaur *
    Wartortle *
    Mankey*
    Koffing *
    Weezing *
    Beedrill
    Raticate *
    Pinsir *
    Dodrio *
    Doduo *
    Abra
    Golbat *
    Venomoth*
    Tentacruel*
    Dragonite*
    Dratini*
    Pikachu*
    Magmar *
    Rhydon*
    Ryhorn
    Kingler
    Psyduck*
    Electabuzz
    Ponyta *
    Tentacool *
    Scyther *

________

I have starred anything less common in that catogory, but not so uncommon to go into the lower category. Any stars in the rare/very rare mean that I have not seen them in the wild. However, I have hatched a few. These are what I can remember off of the top of my head.

6. VampirateMace

VampirateMace Internet Overlord

I live near a small town in the northwestern USA, I've also been to sort of nearby cities and the beach playing Go (where I did not find as many water pokemon as you'd expect). There are NO pokemon in the woods where I live, and much of the surrounding area is barren.

This is how common things seem to be based on my pokedex. It doesn't account for the small number of evolvtions and hatched eggs, but it gives a pretty good picture of the area:

Very Common:
    Weedle (29)

Common:
    Pidgey (19)
    Rattata (16)
    Zubat (14)
    Eevee (13)
    Spearow (11)

Somewhat Common:
    Caterpie (7)
    Oddish (6)
    Drowzee (4)
    Krabby (3)

Uncommon:
    Beedrill (2)
    Bellsprout (2)
    Gastly (2)
    Goldeen (2)
    Magikarp (2)
    Paras (2)
    Pidgeotto (2)
    Raticate (2)
    Venonat (2)

Rare:
    Abra (1)
    Charmander (1)
    Doduo (1)
    Fearow (1)
    Gloom (1)
    Golbat (1)
    Horsea (1)
    Jolteon (1)
    Kakuna (1)
    Koffing (1)
    Mankey (1)
    Meowth (1)
    Metapod (1)
    Nidoran F (1)
    Nidoran M (1)
    Nidorina (1)
    Pigeot (1)
    Poliwag (1)
    Psyduck (1)
    Shellder (1)
    Vaporeon (1)

Very Rare:
    Everything Else!!!

Last edited: Jul 29, 2016
  7. Silvershroud

Silvershroud Member

I live in the southern part of Alberta, in a city. The area around town is mostly prairie and grain fields. Most of the time when I play Go, I'm walking around one of a few lakes in town. Currently level 10.

I've got that 3-step bug, so I don't generally pay much attention to what is "nearby", so this is just what I have actually ran into.

Extremely common:
    Ratata
    Pidgey

Common:
    Pigeotto
    Paras
    Mankey

Uncommon:
    Spearow
    Zubat
    Meowth
    Growlithe

Rare:
    Vulpix
    Raticate
    Persian
    Abra
    Drowzee
    Tauros

Extremely Rare:
    Eevee
    Pidgeot
    Caterpie
    Weedle
    Krabby
    NidoranF

Only found with lure/incense:
    Dugtrio
    Hitmonchan

Only hatched:
    Charmander
    Jigglypuff
    Psyduck
    Krabby
    Voltorb
    Magicarp

From what people were saying, I was expecting a few water types by the lakes, but I have only seen a single Krabby in the wild. Maybe man-made lakes don't count? I'll have to try down by the nearby river sometime.

8. yumenokage

from my experience, it seems that some water types only spawn right next to water (like magikarp), while others spawn some distance away (like starmie)... anyone else notice this?

9. VampirateMace

I think there's some truth to that. There's a man made lake nearby, and it's the only place in town we've found Psyduck and Magikarp. But we've found Horsea and Goldeen at random places in town. At work I occasionally see Shellder, but I can't imagine why they'd be there. . . or why Gastly would.

10. PokeHome.net

PokeHome.net New Member

This is definitely true. I live in a coastal spot and notice way more water types as a result.

11. Lexya428

Lexya428 Pokèmon Master

The only thing that I've actually found that seems to spawn near water would be Magikarp. I had Horsea spawn on me in work and while on a walk (no water), Starmie at work, Krabby everywhere. Maybe a coincidence.

12. VampirateMace

Sounds like the latest update changed Pokemon rarity rates, that might be an issue for our experiment here. I wonder if it's going to change on a regular basis.

13. PsychoIncarnate

PsychoIncarnate Well-Known Member

Pikachu's have replaced Sandshrew in my park, and sandshrew were fairly common.

I've caught 6 pikachu in the last 2 days. But I always have at least 1-4 at all times now in my tracking thing

14. yumenokage

well, from what I heard it sounds more like they changed the "nests", where a certain pokemon would appear in a very specific location. Like, apparently the hordes of psyduck that randomly appeared near the campus library in my current town despite there not being an immediate source of water nearby were because of a nest, and now they've been replaced by hordes of diglett (which I'll definitely have to go and catch some of once pokemon go starts working for me again).

15. PsychoIncarnate

PsychoIncarnate Well-Known Member

I actually kind of hope they change these "nests" every once in a while. Maybe once a month or two

Catching Sandshrew was nice, but I guess my Nidoking is kind of much more powerful anyway

And catching Pikachu's now is nice

But, having a nest of Squirtles would really be something

16. Lexya428

Lexya428 Pokèmon Master

I only saw 1 Eevee today. o_O Maybe this is a part of the update. Good news, I finally ran into a Tauros. In all seriousness, within the next week I will update my occurance list.

Edit: Eevee are back dominating the area here.

Last edited: Aug 8, 2016