• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Pokemon OCD

NovaBrunswick

Canada Connoisseur
Does anyone else always organize their Pokémon's moves in a certain way? I like to sort mine by colour (i.e. where they appear in the spectrum).

poe_keeper

I do many of the same things everyone listed but I am wondering if I am the only one that checks all the trash cans. Haven't found anything in a few games but I will always check those cans.

Last edited:

Jesness

Togekiss Enthusiast
Does anyone else always organize their Pokémon's moves in a certain way? I like to sort mine by colour (i.e. where they appear in the spectrum).
I don't order them by color, but I do have them arranged in a certain way. Normal-type moves go in the first slot. They typically have a lot of PP and I can waste them on random encounters without worrying about running out of steam. Special-type moves go second (Basically any attacking move that isn't normal type) they have more power usually but less PP, so I use those for trainer/gym battles or mons that won't go down to normal attacks.
Status go in the last slot(s).

Nyter

Island Challenger
OMG now that you mention it, I DO!

If say the 4 following moves were on a Pokemon:

Quick Attack
Spore
Sucker Punch
Discharge

I would arrange it in name length order from shortest to longest like this:

Spore
Discharge
Quick Attack
Sucker Punch

I do this with ALL my Pokemon

Jesness

Togekiss Enthusiast
I do many of the same things everyone listed but I am wondering if I am the only one that checks all the trash cans. Haven't found anything is a few games but I will always check those cans.
I do this too. But you're right, I think OR/AS might have been the last gen where I found anything in a trash can. Don't lose heart fellow treasure hunter, our day will come!

Leonhart

Imagineer
poe_keeper said:
I do many of the same things everyone listed but I am wondering if I am the only one that checks all the trash cans. Haven't found anything is a few games but I will always check those cans.

I check all the trash bins I come across as well. I also check every potted plant ever since I found out that there were several hidden items in the potted plants at Sylph Company in LG/FR.

nel3

Crimson Dragon
I pretty much use the same 12 Pokemon in every game where the dex allows it. I also got with the same sets and try to get them over to newer gen game asap in a new play through.

Fred Garvin

Drone Pilot
Does anyone else always organize their Pokémon's moves in a certain way?

99% of my mons are built for a specific type matchup, EV trained abilities to maximize a Super Effective move set.

I put the main move at the top to minimize clicks, with the setup/status move under it. Recovery moves next and the last slot is for whatever, usually a buff or assist when in a group/team.

Nyter

Island Challenger
I seem to always have Box 1 clear and empty because whenever Pokemon are transferred in or come back from Poke Jobs, they appear there. I cannot have any Pokemon in Box 1. Whenever I catch a new Pokemon, I move it over to another box right away!

Jesness

Togekiss Enthusiast
I seem to always have Box 1 clear and empty because whenever Pokemon are transferred in or come back from Poke Jobs, they appear there. I cannot have any Pokemon in Box 1. Whenever I catch a new Pokemon, I move it over to another box right away!
I have never done this before gen 8. I only recently started doing it partially for the reasons you mentioned, but also because I find it to be easier when masudaing. I literally want all of my eggs in one basket.

Reinhardt

You! Me! Rivals! Yes?
I have a few:
1) I like to avoid having more than one Pokemon of the same type on the same team, and also more than two Pokemon that share a weakness on the same team, unless that shared weakness is a type you don't run into very often in a certain region or I have decent coverage.
2) I'm picky about which Poke Balls my Pokemon are in, I don't like having more than two of the same type of Poke Ball in a team of six, but sometimes with things like Starters, Fossils and other gift Pokemon which almost always come in ordinary Poke Balls, this is unavoidable.
3) I like to have a good array of species in any one team, mammals, birds, reptiles, inanimate objects, that kind of thing, but not too many of one.
4) Whenever a generation introduces a new thing (Mega Evolution, the Fairy-type, regional forms, Gigantamax etc.), I always want to have at least one Pokemon on a team that represents this new thing. For example in X and Y I always had a Fairy-type and something that can Mega evolve on every team I used, and in Alola I would always use at least one Alola regional form (uaually either Raichu or Muk)
5) As far as Pokemon themselves, my usual team set up is at least four brand new Pokemon introduced in that region, and at least one older Pokemon, but this varies depending on what's actually available in what region.

WalesNote

I like doing things in specific ways, like getting so many team members after so many badges, or getting my first two members in poke balls, then the next two in great balls etc.

Also like giving them nicknames that physically look good, as well as going after a theme. Have really taken a liking to naming members after countries or cities, like India for a fire type cause India reminds me of Agni and Ifrit (fire gods).

And like having party members at the same level.

MrJechgo

Always having a Grass, Fire, Water and Electric Pokémon in the team... and being a little annoyed when a dual-type combination isn't present ^^;

Reinhardt

You! Me! Rivals! Yes?
Always having a Grass, Fire, Water and Electric Pokémon in the team... and being a little annoyed when a dual-type combination isn't present ^^;
I like to have a Grass-Fire-Water trio on teams as well. Electric I can take or leave, but I usually do catch one to deal with Water/Flying-types. Flying also used to be an essential type for my teams, or at least something that can learn the HM for Fly, but now HMs are extinct they're not as important to have.

Leonhart

Imagineer
I always use a Water-type, even if it means having to use one that's aesthetically unappealing or weaker than average. My team just feels incomplete without one.

MrJechgo

In most generations I suppose that would be the case, although even though we didn't need a Pokemon with Surf in the Alola games, I still used a Water-type on all of my teams in S/M/US/UM.
Well, Water is pretty versatile... and has fewer weaknesses than the other 2 kinds of starters. I can't imagine having a single Water Pokémon having Surf, Whirlpool, Dive AND Waterfall :p I still don't understand why GameFreaks just didn't have 1) you picking a Surfing Pokémon, 2) making it unsuable to battle as long as it surfs, 3) automatically going up waterfalls and 4) whirlpools and patches being "the same" for you to either clear or follow.

Nyter

Island Challenger
Now that I am reading some of these... I always buy both versions of a game and trade between each other, or transfer to make it so that I have all 3 starters in one game. I started doing this since Gen 4.