• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Pokemon Platinum Team Help and Battle Frontier!

DanChimchar

Friends are Diamonds
Hello There I need big help with building my Pokemon Platinum Team for the Elite Four and the Battle Frontier.

Okay so for the Main Game well now Elite Four cuz thats where I am. I need help building my team.

I'm thinking about haveing the same team as my Diamond just differnet moves and new memebers like more than 6 pokemon so I can switch in a out.

So this is my current team idea.

Infernape Male
Lv 70
~Mach Punch
~Flamethrower
~ Flare Blitz/Blast Burn *
~Close Combat

Staraptor Female
Lv 70
~Brave Bird
~Wing Attack
~Fly
~Close Combat

Luxray Male
Lv 70
~Discharge
~Charge Beam
~ Iron Tail/ Thunder Fang/ Ice Fang*
~Crunch

Roserade Female
Lv 70
~ Giga Drain
~Solarbeam
~Weather Ball
~Magical Leaf

Lucario Male
Lv 70
~Aura Sphere
~Shadow Ball/ Extremespeed*
~Dragon Pulse
~Close Combat

Garchomp Male
Lv 70
~Fire Blast/ Fire Fang*
~Earthquake/ Dig*
~ Crunch/ Rock Slide*
~Dragon Claw

Please help with move sets the ones with *'s next to them I need help choosing between one of those attacks I chose. Also if you wanted you could tune up some of my moves I like to keep it mainly on the type the pokemon is make things more a challenge.

I also wanted to get these pokemon.

The Eeveelutions (Yet I rather want Leafeon or Glaceon)

Leafeon Female
Lv 50
Razor Leaf/ Magical Leaf (Which ever it can learn)
Energy Ball
- (No idea)
- (No idea)

Glaceon Female
Lv 50
Ice Beam
- (No Idea)
- (No Idea)
- (No Idea)

Gliscor Male (Have all the Fang attacks)
Ice Fang
Thunder Fang
Fire Fang
Crunch

And these which I have no move sets yet for but would be lv 50.
Gallade Male
Eletivirer (Spelling?) Male
Magmortar Male
Mamoswine
Frosslass
Porygon-Z
Any New Sinnoh Last Evolutions that are new to the pokedex (The new alternive Platinum Dex)

So could you help with thoses move sets and say which one I should choose and what. Also Which should I use for the Battle Frontier I wanna have a mix of my game team and those extra ppls. I'm thinking for the Tower I want just my main team ppl.

Kk thanks for the big helps :D

If you're goin to compete in the Battle Frontier and Battle Tower, I would suggest EVing, giving Items, and breeding for correct Natures. For how your team stands now:

Infernape
~ Flamethrower / Fire Blast
~ Close Combat
~ Grass Knot
~ Nasty Plot / Thunderpunch

Staraptor
~ Brave Bird / Aerial Ace
~ Close Combat
~ Return / Double-Edge
~ Endeavor / Quick Attack

Luxray
~ Spark / Thunder Fang (whichever has more Power, I can't remember at the moment)
~ Superpower
~ Ice Fang
~ Crunch

Roserade
~ Energy Ball / Grass Knot / Leaf Storm
~ Sludge Bomb
~ Sleep Powder
~ Hidden Power {Fire} / Shadow Ball

Lucario
~ Swords Dance
~ Close Combat
~ ExtremeSpeed
~ Ice Punch / Stone Edge / Crunch

OR

Lucario
~ Aura Sphere
~ Shadow Ball
~ Dragon Pulse
~ Psychic

Garchomp
~ Dragon Claw / Outrage
~ Earthquake
~ Fire Blast / Fire Fang
~ Stone Edge / Swords Dance

I'll rate the others later.

GalladeTheGreat

2nd Gen Trainer
Why does everyone like close combat if it lowers your Defense and Sp Defense? Wouldn't say mind reader and dynamic punch be more effective?

Poke-friend

Wayward Traveler
Why does everyone like close combat if it lowers your Defense and Sp Defense? Wouldn't say mind reader and dynamic punch be more effective?

Not really, because Mind Reader takes too much time to setup, and Dynamic Punch's accuracy is unreliable. Close Combat is mainly put on pokemon that have high enough atk and spd to pull off a OHKO with it so that they won't suffer the effects of it afterwards.

To the OP: I'll rate the other 3 pokemon, but what is their purpose? Also, as aforementioned, EV's, or even just held items and natures would be a great help.

Leafeon @ Muscle Band/Leftovers
Jolly/Adamant Nature
Ability: Leaf Guard
4 HP/252 atk/252 spd
-Swords Dance
-Leaf Blade
-Grasswhistle
-Baton Pass

Main purpose: Passes on heigthened atk boost thanks to SD.

Glaceon @ Wise Glasses/Leftovers
Timid/Modest Nature
Ability: Snow Cloak
4 sp.atk/252 sp.def/252 spd
-Ice Beam
-Mirror Coat
-Calm Mind
-Baton Pass

Main purpose: Passes on heightended sp.atk boost thanks to CM.

Gliscor @ Leftovers
Impish Nature
Ability: Hyper Cutter
4 HP/252 atk/252 def
-Ice Fang
-Earthquake
-Roost
-Swords Dance

Main purpose: Physical wall.

I guess I'll add in this Garchomp, too.

Garchomp @ Choice Scarf
Adamant Nature
Ability: Sand Veil
4 HP/252 atk/252 spd
-Outrage
-Earthquake
-Stone Edge
-Fire Blast

Haha! It seems as if almost everyone's got a Garchomp on their team! (though my opinion is biased...) This'll eat through everything at the BT.

Ok then. I hope that helps.

Last edited:

CheapChap

DIDDY DONUTS!
1- It takes too much time to set up Dynamic Punch + Mind Reader. The opponent can just kill you on those turns. Also, as Poke-friend said, Close Combat is for Pokemon that have high attack and speed

2-The side effects worries you? There's a magical thing called "Switching". It erases the stats losses. OH YES IT'S REAL.

Now for the suggestions

Leafeon ( Adamant ) @Leftovers / Muscle Band
-Swords Dance
-Leaf Blade
-Return
-X-Scissor?

Fear this. Aren't you glad that there isn't any Steel / Flying bird that laughts at Leafeon? Anyway, Grasswhistle can go on the last slot, Leafeon's movepool is limited as you can see.

Glaceon ( Modest ) @Leftovers
-Ice Beam
-Shadow Ball
-Wish
-Fake Tears

Personal favorite. Fake Tears something ( even blissey ) and start the killing with Ice Beam. If you can, Hidden Power Fighting > Shadow Ball. Wish for healing you and your teammates.

Poke-friend Gliscor is fine. But you can run Stone Edge > Ice Fang.

Yeah, everyone is using Garchomp these days... for a good reason. BT. Banded Chomp ( or Scarfed but oh well ) rapes there.

It's kinda late here, so I won't post the EV's right now.

Last edited:
^ Yes, you CAN run Stone Edge > Ice Fang, but Ice Fang's coverage actually surpasses that of Stone Edge. GroundIce seems to be a lesser used type combination, but an effective one.

And ScarfChomp should only be used as a Revenge Killer.

Might as well rate the others that I didn't before...

Gallade
~ Close Combat
~ Psycho Cut
~ Thunder Wave / Hypnosis / Will-o-Wisp / Toxic
~ Thunder Wave / Hypnosis / Will-o-Wisp / Toxic

This may be a little less effective In-Game.

Electivire
~ Thunderpunch / Thunderbolt
~ Ice Punch
~ Cross Chop / Brick Break
~ Earthquake

Alas, you cannot use the (in my opinion) far superior MixVire because of your lack of being able to get the correct Hidden Power (I'm assuming your not willing to rebreed at this point). Even this requires at least one Egg Move (Ice Punch and Cross Chop are Egg Moves).

Magmortar
~ Flamethrower
~ Focus Blast
~ Psychic
~ Thunderbolt

Mamoswine
~ Ice Shard
~ Earthquake
~ SuperPower / Stone Edge
~ Ice Fang / Stone Edge

Frosslass
~ Ice Beam
~ Shadow Ball
~ Spikes
~ Destiny Bond

Yeah... Only In-Game set I could come up with, and it still sucks. See if someone else posts a better set.

Porygon - Z
~ Tri-Attack
~ Thunderbolt
~ Ice Beam
~ Nasty Plot / Dark Pulse

Just go with Cheap Chap's / Poke-Friend's Glaceon, Leafeon and Gliscor sets. I suck with Eeveelutions, and I'm just to lazy to do Gliscor.

Poke-friend

Wayward Traveler
^You think that Porygon-Z set sucks? Check this out:

Porygon-Z @ Leftovers
Timid Nature
Ability: Adaptability
6 HP/252 sp.atk/252 spd
-Nasty Plot
-Hyper Beam
-Ice Beam/Thunderbolt/Psychic
-Recover

(Just making Tyrant look good...) XD

DanChimchar

Friends are Diamonds
Hey Thanks everyone for the help, but I want to keep my Main Game Team's Moves the same just help chosing the stars *.

I love the new extra pokemons moves and stuff which is awesome just could you tell me which pokemon should go to which place (Tower, Acarde, etc) Well not the Factory cuz you no :p

Thanks very much everyone :) Keep the help coming its very useful

The Electivire set I posted works well in the... Hall, I think? Whichever one gives you a set of 10 Pokemon and their type, and then you choose one to fight. Just give it a Scarf.

CheapChap

DIDDY DONUTS!
Ok, helping on the * thing

Infernape: Blast Burn is an awful move, since you have to recharge in the next turn, levaing you vunerable. I would actually recomend Grass Knot there, so you can deal with Water types

Luxray: Thunder fang is useless, since you have Discharge and Charge Beam ( a bit redundant btw, you should replace Charge Beam with return ). Ice Fang is nice, so you can deal with Dragons. Later on, Superpower is an option over Iron Tail.

Lucario: Hard to say, since Ghost + Fighting gets perfect coverage, but Extremespeed is nice for hitting faster opponents. I would say Shadow Ball

Garchomp: Fire Fang works better if you have Swords Dance, since it's base power is quite low, so I suggest Fire Blast this time ( also deals more damage on physically defensive pokemon, like Skarmory). Instead of rock slide, you could go with Stone Edge. Crunch is only for Dusknoir , Cresselia and a couple of psychics out there

Oh well, I got a bit carried away... but follow only the * suggestions if you want.

DanChimchar

Friends are Diamonds
Thanks a lot thoses really helped just I'm staying this straight up I like Power over Defence moves. I just like attacking moves, also I'm not gonna Ev train or get Egg Moves. I'll get Tms, Learn Moves, or get the heart scale guy to learn it. And once it comes I'll go to the Move Tutor. But yeah I'm not gonna do Egg Moves or Nature and all that stuff. I'm just gonna try to keep it simply.

Kk anyways keep the help coming Please and Thanks all help is used in each way.