• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Pokemon Press Conference discussion

mysticalglacia

Alola Shill
The love for Rosa recently has been a bit unexpected, but I’m certainly not complaining.

For real through Masters seem decent. It’s basically a mobile PWT, and I love the voice acting. It’s hard to tell what my feelings are for it until we get more news, really. It also looks like Home is the Switch’s Bank, which is nice.

BCVM22

That was a pretty meh presentation. I didn't feel that excited by anything except the reminder that the SwSh Direct is next week.

Great. Again, what were the expectations in a presentation that we knew, full stop, wasn't going to be core title-focused?

Side note: The Pokemon franchise is obsessed with mobile.

No idea why a franchise would want to occasionally release titles for a platform owned by hundreds of millions of people worldwide.

This just seems exceptionally odd.

So did a game best described as "take your phone outside and catch Pokémon." I recall people being similarly excessively puzzled over GO, and here we are.

Bolt the Cat

Bringing the Thunder
Side note: The Pokemon franchise is obsessed with mobile.

Yup, nearly every spinoff game is mobile now and mobile game design has kind of been bleeding into the main games too (the only thing really missing is microtransactions really). They really do consider mobile to be the end all be all of gaming at this point, and it's quite sad. Someone needs to slap some sense into them.

WishIhadaManafi5

To Boldly Go Where No One Has Gone Before.
Staff member
So Detective Pikachu 2 and Pokemon Home will be coming soon.

Edit @ 02:14: Pokémon Home announced for Switch and Mobile. Connects Let's Go, Sword & Shield, Pokémon Bank and Pokémon GO together. It also allows trade features online and with friends straight on mobile. It will launch in Early 2020 (From Serebii)

Sounds like it is for the Switch and Mobile. Can't use the Mobile part, given that I already have a hard time trying to use it on Let's Go. So honestly... I'd only have the need for the Bank part and the Sword and Shield one.

Hoping it's not all that expensive either.

Yup, nearly every spinoff game is mobile now and mobile game design has kind of been bleeding into the main games too (the only thing really missing is microtransactions really). They really do consider mobile to be the end all be all of gaming at this point, and it's quite sad. Someone needs to slap some sense into them.
So much this! Given that not everyone has a large enough cell phone for their apps. It's not just sad, it's annoying.

shoz999

Back when Tigers used to smoke.
At first I thought it was pretty funny to see HGSS Brock and Let's Go Misty in the same game but on closer inspection, the moment when Brock rips his shirt, I don't think that's him actually taking his shirt off but HGSS Brock transitioning to RGB Brock. Does that mean we could see different skins or takes on the Battle Legends?

On a side note, I'm surprised they are going for the more western take on Red and Blue's starters. I know Charizard is popular but I prefer the original take where Red has Venusaur due to symbolizing friendship and kindness and Blue having Charizard which symbolizes power and passion. It's a perfect symbolic representation of their rivalry don't you think? On a side note, I wonder if this will be like Fire Emblem, where you get a pre-select team associated with each Battle Legend.

Ignition

We are so back Zygardebros
Didn’t feel anything in particular after this. Detective Pikachu? Uh, no thanks. Pokèmon Sleep? Confused but intrigued. Pokèmon Home? Was what I expected. Masters? Eh looks decent but will probably lose interest in the first week like Go, Quest, Duel, Shuffle, & Magikarp Jump before it.

Shirts looked nice tho lol

PorcelainVulpix

currently watching LOK
Only thing that I’m really excited about is Pokémon Masters. Can’t wait to battle along side Misty, Blue (Gary), etc.

I wonder if all of the player characters such as May and Dawn will be in there?

WishIhadaManafi5

Staff member
On a side note, it looks like we can transition Let's Go Pokemon to 8th Gen.

Hopefully we don't have to go through the mobile app for that as any Pokémon I try to transfer from Go to Let's Go gets destroyed. XD

Satoshi & Touko

Peanuts aren't just a nut.
Didn’t feel anything in particular after this. Detective Pikachu? Uh, no thanks. Pokèmon Sleep? Confused but intrigued. Pokèmon Home? Was what I expected. Masters? Eh looks decent but will probably lose interest in the first week like Go, Quest, Duel, Shuffle, & Magikarp Jump before it.

Shirts looked nice tho lol
That was kinda me as well. I technically didn't make any kind of expectations since this was a new thing for me; I went in blind. But nothing shown today except Pokemon Home really got me excited. I feel neither hyped nor disappointed.

DSDark

Breeder
I'm excited for Pokemon home. The fact that you'll be able to trade Pokemon with other users live is amazing

Mag Prime

The Pokemon Avenger
Ugh... that was odd.

So while I LOVE pokemon, the majority of the announced projects didn't sound particularly interesting to me personally. The whole sleep thing is weird. The fun thing behind pokemon go is searching for pokemon, finding them and progressing. Not necessarily the act of walking itself, although that is something that people generally don't like doing, yet are willing to do to a larger extent because it's encouraged by the game.

But sleep is different, it's such a passive thing, so basically the game would just count for how long you are asleep and do a 2-minute fun thing when you wake up. Having a good night's sleep is something people like doing in and of itself and in the case where you have work early or can't sleep well for whatever reason it's not like the app can magically do something about it... So basically people will just sleep for as long as they would/could and they'll maybe catch a pokemon in the morning? Are people even willing to have their phones and a pokemon go ++ running on bluetooth next to their head while they sleep for 9 hours and are they gonna be in the mood to play pokemon first thing when they wake up? Also how is sleeping for 9 hours and checking the app different than just waiting for 9 hours and checking the app? I guess I should wait a bit longer before judging this fully but so far it sounds like a really dumb idea and a cheap attempt to replicate the initial pokemon Go success.

Pokemon Home is the only thing that genuinely interests me from this presentation and I have a billion questions as to how it's gonna work but it's late so that is tomorrow's problem.

shoz999

Back when Tigers used to smoke.
The love for Rosa recently has been a bit unexpected, but I’m certainly not complaining.

For real through Masters seem decent. It’s basically a mobile PWT, and I love the voice acting. It’s hard to tell what my feelings are for it until we get more news, really. It also looks like Home is the Switch’s Bank, which is nice.
Oh yeah. Pokemon Adventures BW2 looks like is on it's way to completion. New promotional art from the One-Punch Man artist himself and now this. Things are looking great for Rosa.

Bolt the Cat

Bringing the Thunder
So much this! Given that not everyone has a large enough cell phone for their apps. It's not just sad, it's annoying.

There's that, but I'm more thinking that the Pokemon IP could be more ambitious than a handful of simplistic F2P mobile apps, especially now that they're on console. It feels like the series is regressing when it should be moving forward.

WishIhadaManafi5

Staff member
Ugh... that was odd.

So while I LOVE pokemon, the majority of the announced projects didn't sound particularly interesting to me personally. The whole sleep thing is weird. The fun thing behind pokemon go is searching for pokemon, finding them and progressing. Not necessarily the act of walking itself, although that is something that people generally don't like doing, yet are willing to do to a larger extent because it's encouraged by the game.

But sleep is different, it's such a passive thing, so basically the game would just count for how long you are asleep and do a 2-minute fun thing when you wake up. Having a good night's sleep is something people like doing in and of itself and in the case where you have work early or can't sleep well for whatever reason it's not like the app can magically do something about it... So basically people will just sleep for as long as they would/could and they'll maybe catch a pokemon in the morning? Are people even willing to have their phones and a pokemon go ++ running on bluetooth next to their head while they sleep for 9 hours and are they gonna be in the mood to play pokemon first thing when they wake up? Also how is sleeping for 9 hours and checking the app different than just waiting for 9 hours and checking the app? I guess I should wait a bit longer before judging this fully but so far it sounds like a really dumb idea and a cheap attempt to replicate the initial pokemon Go success.

Pokemon Home is the only thing that genuinely interests me from this presentation and I have a billion questions as to how it's gonna work but it's late so that is tomorrow's problem.
Agreed about Pokémon Sleep. It seems like a very cheap cash grab and nothing more. So I'll be passing on it.

Yep. That's pretty much me too.

Mr.Munchlax

Great Ball Rank Trainer
I can't help but feel that Pokémon Masters is Game Freak's response to everyone who wanted the main games to switch from a turn based formula to the battle mechanics used for Yo-Kai Watch. This way, they'll give these niche hard-core gamers a way to battle pokémon the way they want while sticking to their regular formula for the main game & avoiding risk of alienating everyone else.

The concept does sound incredibly awesome, but I don't think I'll get this one since I already spent enough money on Pokémon Go's features. -_-

WishIhadaManafi5

Staff member
There's that, but I'm more thinking that the Pokemon IP could be more ambitious than a handful of simplistic F2P mobile apps, especially now that they're on console. It feels like the series is regressing when it should be moving forward.
Exactly. At this point they're going after people's money. Period. Along with getting greedy. Instead of letting the IP grow in a better way, they're settling for going after the cell phone crowd and figuring that everyone that owns one, is wealthy.

I can't help but feeling that Pokémon Masters is Game Freak's response to everyone who wanted the main games to switch from a turn based formula to the battle mechanics used for Yo-Kai Watch. This way, they'll give these niche hard-core gamers a way to battle pokémon the way they want while sticking to their regular formula for the main game & avoiding risk of alienating everyone else.

The concept does sound incredibly awesome, but I don't think I'll get this one since I already spent enough money on Pokémon Go's features. -_-
How do you think so? (If you mean about Pokémon Sleep.)

I haven't spent a dime and I don't plan on getting it either.

Divine Retribution

Conquistador de pan
It's not that mobile is the be all end all of gaming in general, it's that mobile games are encroaching on the territory of handheld consoles. Why would you pay for a separate handheld console when your phone, something pretty much everyone owns anyways, can now carry sufficient hardware to play the same sorts of games? This is especially going to be the case over the next decade or so, as smartphones get more powerful and more accessible a la Moore's Law. We're going to see the handheld market slowly swallowed by the mobile market, in much the same way as the console market is being slowly swallowed by the PC gaming market.

greninjamaster

The thing I found interesting is that the big shot from GM will now be a board member on Pokemon. Take that as a very big thing going forward with the Pokemon Live Action films goiing forward.

Last edited: