1. We have moved to a new forum system. All your posts and data should have transferred over. Welcome, to the new Serebii Forums. Details here
    Dismiss Notice
  2. We have received legal notice about the sharing of certain images for Pokémon Sword & Shield. Due to this, we have a new rule. If you post said images, you will be removed from the forums until 15:00 UTC on November 14th 2019. We have also killed the leak discussion threads for the time being. Thank you for your patience during this. If you have any queries, use the contact form
  3. Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
    Dismiss Notice
  4. If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders
    Dismiss Notice

Pokemon Press Conference discussion

Discussion in 'General Pokémon Discussion' started by bobandbill, May 27, 2019.

1. BCVM22

BCVM22 Well-Known Member

I'm not certain what's meant by "console games" here. If we're talking about Pokémon side titles and spinoffs, yes, we do have fewer of those now than we used to. But there are multiple reasons for that, and the rise of the mobile gaming market is only but one of them, and indirectly at that. The DS and 3DS had plenty, the Switch got Pokémon Quest not all that long ago, and they just announced a new Detective Pikachu for the Switch this evening. Mystery Dungeon is silent for now, but I would put that just as much on low sales and mixed reviews of the last two installments, both of which were on the market for then-current hardware well before Nintendo started venturing into the field of mobile games. People clamor for an updated Pokémon Snap (which I would certainly play), but Pokémon GO is very much an evolution of that same track, and it makes all the sense in the world that they put such a game on devices that not only have a built-in camera, but are designed to leave your house and go everywhere with you.

As for relics like Stadium and Colosseum, those have disappeared because to a lesser extent the 3DS core titles and to a greater extent the Switch core titles do exactly what those older console titles did, and they do it without having to be side titles. There's no need for Pokémon Stadium when all your Pokémon are 3D models now anyway, and Sword and Shield will be everything people believe Colosseum/XD were, and they will be that without the inherent limitations imposed upon spinoff titles.

So if "we barely have any console games nowadays" means that it seems like we're getting fewer Pokémon side games, it's true, but not to an extreme degree, and not solely or directly because of the advent of mobile gaming.

Last edited: May 29, 2019
    wolf jani likes this.
  2. shoz999

shoz999 Thorton hears a battle

You know what's another trainer I've always wanted to see return and possibly either represent Johto or Kanto. Janine, the Gym Leader of Fuschia City. She's such an interesting and complicated character in the Pokemon Adventures manga. I don't know about you but I think it makes too much sense for Janine to have Ariados as her signature Pokemon which gives Ariados a great excuse to receive a desperate buff.

[​IMG]

WishIhadaManafi5 likes this.
  3. Redstar45

Redstar45 A POCKET MONSTERS & DIGITAL MONSTERS Fan !

The chance are slim to Nothing you know.

4. shoz999

I already know that so no need to act like a dream crusher lol.

5. Sceptrigon

Sceptrigon Armored Guardian

Yes, by console games, I meant spin-offs that have been on strictly video game consoles. Gen 7 has given the most mobile spin-offs and little console ones. While it’s the most recent generation for only about three years giving primarily mobile spin-offs, those show no signs of slowing down in the near future into Gen 8. There are certainly other factors that can contribute to the decline in console games, like challenges in adapting to Switch hardware. You refer to the decline in sales of ones like Mystery Dungeon and inclusion of 3D models and such adapted into the main series, but who’s to say that companies should be restricted by these? There are unlimited ideas, really, to what kinds of new spin-offs companies can create. I’m referring more to ideas that still haven’t been done before, not so much about already existing spin-offs. While mobile games offer their own kinds of ideas to the franchise, their qualities are not nearly comparable to console games that offered so much more. I would really enjoy mobile games if they provided the level of quality that console games have had, but the games that we have just lack in comparison.

MockingJ and Bolt the Cat like this.
  6. BCVM22

BCVM22 Well-Known Member

And if you're saying that you want more spinoff games for your dedicated video game hardware, that's fine. But that can't accurately be laid solely at the feet of the mobile gaming. We aren't being denied... I don't know, a Pokémon kart racer just because DeNA is working on Pokémon Masters. They draw from different resource pools.

So again, there are legitimate complaints to be had over the lack of titles other than the core titles, but I wouldn't strictly place that blame on the franchise's mobile outings.

7. Leonhart

Leonhart Well-Known Member

I have to admit that Pokemon Sleep creeps me out. Just the thought of having my sleep monitored by a Big Brother-esque program feels intrusive and not very appealing, and I'm not sure that the benefits outweigh the lack of privacy factor.

And I'm aware that I don't need to download the program if I don't want to, I'm just surprised that spying on people sleeping is the new gimmick now.

8. Divine Retribution

Divine Retribution Master of the freak show

It does set a bit of a disturbing precedent, even if the app itself is probably harmless.

Redstar45 likes this.
  9. Shadow_Flare

Shadow_Flare Member

"Lately?" You mean there was more Rosa love I don't know of? Not that I'm complaining since Rosa's my favorite design for female trainers, but color me surprised.

Redstar45 likes this.
  10. Bguy7

Bguy7 The Dragon Lord

I highly doubt that this data will be gathered. What use would it even be to people? And honestly, who cares if some random company knows when you're sleeping? Sure, it sounds a little creepy, but it's not like we're talking about some sort of stalker or robber who would use the data for nefarious purposes. In fact, I doubt that company cares one bit about whether you fall asleep at 9 PM or at 3 AM.

wolf jani likes this.
  11. Genos

Genos Sword

Excited for Pokemon Home. I can finally store all my Pokemon from US and place it onto Sword. And I'll be finally over with the 3DS. Though I have till early next year to do that.

Pokemon Masters looks fun. I'm not really into gacha games (my brother is) but I'll try it to see If I'm going to play it often.

As for Pokemon Sleep. Well that's interesting concept for a game. o_O

12. D*N

D*N Musical Star

I honestly rather throw my money at an interesting game spin-off with actual effort in it than spend it on microtransactions in half-assed mobile games. Not really excited for anything that was announced, but oh well if they find people who like it, good for them.

Satoshi & Touko and Bolt the Cat like this.
  13. Acer11

Acer11 Well-Known Member

Pokemon Masters will be the first time trainers will have voices, though not dialogue voices.

PorcelainVulpix likes this.
  14. Akashin

Akashin Well-Known Member

She was also front and center in Yusuke Murata's Pokemon art collaboration. Nothing else really comes to mind, though.

15. lemoncatpower

lemoncatpower Cynical optimist

Haven't we already had a pokemon masters game for mobile? Or was that a digimon game and this just looks like a remake of it but with pokemon? Idk but these types of games are becoming increasingly popular on mobile so this is not anything new really except it's Pokemon.

Pokemon Home is something that has been anticipated tbh, so at least they waited for a bunch of little announcements and put them together for a big announcement.. idk lol.

Honestly adding voices into games makes a game that much better in my opinion, even if they're just random blurbs/sounds they say when you start talking to them and not exactly what they're saying.

16. Ignition

Ignition Obliterated a god with the power of friendship

Happy that the electronic for the Masters protagonists is based on Porygon

Satoshi & Touko likes this.
  17. Jangobadass

Jangobadass The Coolest Character int he Worst Series

I was wondering what they could talk about besides S&S.

Turns out it's just them making mountains out of molehills again... -_-

Even better, make a cool promo short for Masters featuring her and everyone else still stuck in the Never Animated Gulag!

shoz999 and Satoshi & Touko like this.
  18. Creyk

Creyk Well-Known Member

It's data, in the age of information technology any sort of data can be sold, maybe for advertisement purposes. Stranger things have happened.

Gamzee Makara likes this.
  19. shoz999

This is one of the reasons why I prefer the Pokemon Adventures manga over the anime, practically every character from the video games is in the Pokemon Adventures manga. A chunk of video game characters have been left out of the anime and the odds of seeing any of them now are extremely slim. It's annoying to see a bunch of favorites left out for unexplained reasons, I'm pretty sure this is how the Guzma fanbase felt after over a 100 episodes of no Guzma. All the more happier to see another Pokemon property who can potentially have that "EVERYONE IS HERE!" vibe.

Jangobadass likes this.
  20. Redstar45

Redstar45 A POCKET MONSTERS & DIGITAL MONSTERS Fan !

And we don't care about that & let face it now ....the special manga is overrated and is losing it popular slowly now
    It is at 75 of millions of manga to anime.
    It is same thing for ani and game .

LilligantLewis likes this.