• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Pokemon Press Conference discussion

shoz999

Back when Tigers used to smoke.
And we don't care about that let face it special manga is overrated and is losing it popular slowly now
It is at 75 of millions of manga to anime.
That sounds like a desperate plea than a fact. A random desperate plea to be specific. Stop being such a bore and join in the discussion and just have fun.

Bguy7

The Dragon Lord
Even with everything settled in, I still can't fathom Pokémon Sleep. The whole thing just feels like a massive April Fools joke. Obviously it's not, but it easily could have been one. I doubt it will be something that will interest me, but I'm certainly interested to see how in the world they manage to pull the concept off.

Auraninja

Eh, ragazzo!
Maybe Pokemon Sleep is taking the "Death Stranding" approach.

It's where we don't know what the heck it is, but because we don't, people will talk about it.

shoz999

Even with everything settled in, I still can't fathom Pokémon Sleep. The whole thing just feels like a massive April Fools joke. Obviously it's not, but it easily could have been one. I doubt it will be something that will interest me, but I'm certainly interested to see how in the world they manage to pull the concept off.
Sounds like a gimmick similar to that of the Pokeball Plus and Pokewalker but instead of steps, it takes in time. Also I have a strange feeling it's a similar but expansive take to the Nintendo feature that tells you "Why don't you take a break" when you play a game too long, maybe call you to sleep or wake you up.

Redstar45

The Anime/Special's canon know it all.
That sounds like a desperate plea than a fact
hey it is any different from what you think/SAY ? and this not going to be a Pokemon special the game .

Bguy7

The Dragon Lord
Sounds like a gimmick similar to that of the Pokeball Plus and Pokewalker but instead of steps, it takes in time. Also I have a strange feeling it's a similar but expansive take to the Nintendo feature that tells you "Why don't you take a break" when you play a game too long, maybe call you to sleep or wake you up.

Sure, but the Pokéball Plus and PokéWalker pair up with and supplement actual games, while Pokémon Sleep is a game of its own. The real question is how do you base an entire game around sleeping?

shoz999

Wait a minute? I think I know what this is. This is Poke Pelago the video game! Basically this game will reward you with candy, berries, EV training or whatever the heck Pokemon GO has etc. It's a game that rewards you by... waiting lol. Outside of that I don't know how this will actually work when your only sleeping. Like this concept can also work when your not sleeping, when your going to work.

Sure, but the Pokéball Plus and PokéWalker pair up with and supplement actual games, while Pokémon Sleep is a game of its own. The real question is how do you base an entire game around sleeping?
That's what I was thinking. How can you make a game focus mostly on sleep and not like while your out working? I feel like this is going to end up as an experiment that fails but I am curious where this is gonna to go.

shoz999

Couldn’t you just lie and have the thing go on with you not sleeping like I can’t think of any technology that is able to detect if you’re in a slumber or not.
Yeah, I know right? Everyone here is thinking the same thing lol. :D How does this work exclusively with sleeping?

Bguy7

The Dragon Lord
Wait a minute? I think I know what this is. This is Poke Pelago the video game! Basically this game will reward you with candy, berries, EV training or whatever the heck Pokemon GO has etc. It's a game that rewards you by... waiting lol. Outside of that I don't know how this will actually work when your only sleeping. Like this concept can also work when your not sleeping, when your going to work.

Despite their extremely confusing mixed messages, Pokémon Sleep is its own app, which implies that it is completely separate from Go. Which once again brings us to the main question. Poké Pelago works because it gives you bonuses for use in the main game, but for Pokémon Sleep, sleeping is the "main game."

That's what I was thinking. How can you make a game focus mostly on sleep and not like while your out working? I feel like this is going to end up as an experiment that fails but I am curious where this is gonna to go.

I have to assume that The Pokémon Company knows what they're doing on this one. If they have the confidence to release this game, then they must think it will succeed. It just remains a question of what in the world they came up with to make the idea work.

Couldn’t you just lie and have the thing go on with you not sleeping like I can’t think of any technology that is able to detect if you’re in a slumber or not.

If I'm not mistaken, wearable fitness devices and "smart beds" have technology that can track how well you sleep, so the Go ++ (even the peripheral sounds like an April Fools joke) could work like however those do. But we have to assume that you'll be able to "play" the game without the Go ++, as most people aren't going to want to buy a $30-$40 peripheral just to play a bizarre game that focuses around sleeping. So the real question is, how could a phone track something like that?

The best I can guess is that you tell your phone when you're going to sleep, and as long as you don't touch your phone, it will count you as being asleep. Seeing as most people these days can't go more than ten minutes without checking their phones unless they're sleeping, it could work.

shoz999

Despite their extremely confusing mixed messages, Pokémon Sleep is its own app, which implies that it is completely separate from Go. Which once again brings us to the main question. Poké Pelago works because it gives you bonuses for use in the main game, but for Pokémon Sleep, sleeping is the "main game."

I have to assume that The Pokémon Company knows what they're doing on this one. If they have the confidence to release this game, then they must think it will succeed. It just remains a question of what in the world they came up with to make the idea work.

If I'm not mistaken, wearable fitness devices and "smart beds" have technology that can track how well you sleep, so the Go ++ (even the peripheral sounds like an April Fools joke) could work like however those do. But we have to assume that you'll be able to "play" the game without the Go ++, as most people aren't going to want to buy a $30-$40 peripheral just to play a bizarre game that focuses around sleeping. So the real question is, how could a phone track something like that?

The best I can guess is that you tell your phone when you're going to sleep, and as long as you don't touch your phone, it will count you as being asleep. Seeing as most people these days can't go more than ten minutes without checking their phones unless they're sleeping, it could work.
I don't know. I'd say it might turn out experimental because of the Pokemon series history in venturing into a number of uniquely-designed projects like the Hey You Pikachu microphone or the Pokemon Ranch for the Wii. Grant it, these are quite old now and they did make a pedometer that's superior to regular brands but I still have a hunch this is going to end up as more of a flawed experiment. Also if this is going to be it's own game separate from the others, I do wonder how that will work because the only gameplay they described is that you will be rewarded for sleeping. Honestly, sounds less like a game and more of an accessory for the bedroom.

Bguy7

The Dragon Lord
I don't know. I'd say it might turn out experimental because of the Pokemon series history in venturing into a number of uniquely-designed projects like the Hey You Pikachu microphone or the Pokemon Ranch for the Wii. Grant it, these are quite old now and they did make a pedometer that's superior to regular brands but I still have a hunch this is going to end up as more of a flawed experiment.

It's definitely experimental, I just meant to say that I don't see it being a failed experiment, even if I don't understand it.

Also if this is going to be it's own game separate from the others, I do wonder how that will work because the only gameplay they described is that you will be rewarded for sleeping. Honestly, sounds less like a game and more of an accessory for the bedroom.

And that's the golden question.

Bolt the Cat

Bringing the Thunder
It's not blatantly false. Consoles are teetering on the edge of obsolescence and are honestly only held up by nostalgia and attempts by the console market to keep them relevant via console exclusives and the like. There's almost no reason to own a console anymore. Prefer controller to mouse and keyboard? First of all, what's wrong with you, but second of all, most PC games have the option to use a controller now. Don't have the money for a good PC? For the same price as a console, you can get a PC with superior specs. Pretty much the only reason to even own a console is to take advantage of console-exclusive games, and the very existence of such games is essentially the swan song of the console marketplace as it suggests they can't compete with PC on a practical level.

Now we see that same dark omen on the horizon for handheld consoles as the hardware in modern smartphones gets more and more powerful. I'm not going to pretend to know enough about marketing or advancements in technology to make a perfectly accurate prediction, but I suspect our kids will grow up with a gaming industry dominated entirely by mobile and PC games. There's just no practical reason to own a console or a handheld if your phone and your computer can do everything they can do better and cheaper, and that's the future we're headed towards.

You're talking about two different things now. The controversy over console vs. mobile has to do with the business model and style of game (traditional vs. F2P). That distinction doesn't exist on console vs. PC. You may be right about consoles eventually being overtaken by PC and mobile, most likely no one cares whether they're playing games on handheld, console, PC, mobile, or their toaster as long as the games are good. The problem is with Pokemon's trend towards simplistic F2P games. If you're going to say that PC is replacing console, then you could just change it to "well, Game Freak isn't doing enough with PC".

Regardless, the point remains is that console and PC appeal to a different market that likes a different style of game from the simplistic F2P games of mobile, and in fact that sector is thriving. The PS4 is closing in on 100 million sales. The Switch has gotten off to a fast start and has already surpassed the lifetime sales of some of Nintendo's past consoles in just its first 2 years. And there are multiple games on both platforms selling 10+ million, especially large scale open world titles. So there is clearly a strong demand for high quality, full featured games that are heavy on exploration and content. So what are Game Freak and TPC doing to appeal to that segment of the market? Sure looks like nothing.

One of three things. One, they don't understand the market they're trying to break into (to be fair, they haven't shown the most fantastic understanding of any market they try to break into). Two, they're experimenting with mobile monetization systems, and if those systems are really as bad and anti-consumer as they seem to be, they will fail and be replaced with other monetization systems until we get something that doesn't fail (presumably because it's not anti-consumer). Or three, GameFreak really isn't any better than mobile companies in the first place. Given the fact that they've kept MTX and DLC and the likes out of Pokemon games so far, I suspect it's one of the first two.

Sadly, anti-consumer practices don't always fail, so we can't count on that. It's most likely some combination of 1 and 3.

Also, the mobile spinoffs have been more than happy to capitalize on microtransactions.

And if you're saying that you want more spinoff games for your dedicated video game hardware, that's fine. But that can't accurately be laid solely at the feet of the mobile gaming. We aren't being denied... I don't know, a Pokémon kart racer just because DeNA is working on Pokémon Masters. They draw from different resource pools.

What different resource pools? Pokemon Masters is being worked on by DeNA, yes, but the rest are all coming from Game Freak and TPC.

So again, there are legitimate complaints to be had over the lack of titles other than the core titles, but I wouldn't strictly place that blame on the franchise's mobile outings.

Sigh...

All right, I'll bite. What would you blame the lack of console spinoffs on?

shoz999

You're talking about two different things now. The controversy over console vs. mobile has to do with the business model and style of game (traditional vs. F2P). That distinction doesn't exist on console vs. PC. You may be right about consoles eventually being overtaken by PC and mobile, most likely no one cares whether they're playing games on handheld, console, PC, mobile, or their toaster as long as the games are good. The problem is with Pokemon's trend towards simplistic F2P games. If you're going to say that PC is replacing console, then you could just change it to "well, Game Freak isn't doing enough with PC".

Regardless, the point remains is that console and PC appeal to a different market that likes a different style of game from the simplistic F2P games of mobile, and in fact that sector is thriving. The PS4 is closing in on 100 million sales. The Switch has gotten off to a fast start and has already surpassed the lifetime sales of some of Nintendo's past consoles in just its first 2 years. And there are multiple games on both platforms selling 10+ million, especially large scale open world titles. So there is clearly a strong demand for high quality, full featured games that are heavy on exploration and content. So what are Game Freak and TPC doing to appeal to that segment of the market? Sure looks like nothing.

Sadly, anti-consumer practices don't always fail, so we can't count on that. It's most likely some combination of 1 and 3.

Also, the mobile spinoffs have been more than happy to capitalize on microtransactions.

What different resource pools? Pokemon Masters is being worked on by DeNA, yes, but the rest are all coming from Game Freak and TPC.

Sigh...

All right, I'll bite. What would you blame the lack of console spinoffs on?
The lack of console spinoffs seem to be namely partnerships. GameFreak said an interesting thing that they would love a Pokemon Snap 2 if Nintendo greenlighted the project but Nintendo had no plans to work on Pokemon Snap 2 and therefore well... no Pokemon Snap 2. So it seems partly the problem why we don't get sequels to successful series rests a good chunk on the partnership.

Jangobadass

Fear the Chicken!
A chunk of video game characters have been left out of the anime and the odds of seeing any of them now are extremely slim. It's annoying to see a bunch of favorites left out for unexplained reasons, I'm pretty sure this is how the Guzma fanbase felt after over a 100 episodes of no Guzma. All the more happier to see another Pokemon property who can potentially have that "EVERYONE IS HERE!" vibe.

Though with our dumb it won't happen anyway. Even if did they'd likely use character who've been animated already (Right, Lance and Cynthia? :mad:)

Jangobadass

Fear the Chicken!
The lack of console spinoffs seem to be namely partnerships. GameFreak said an interesting thing that they would love a Pokemon Snap 2 if Nintendo greenlighted the project but Nintendo had no plans to work on Pokemon Snap 2 and therefore well... no Pokemon Snap 2. So it seems partly the problem why we don't get sequels to successful series rests a good chunk on the partnership.

For example, please note that we can thank Niantic for GO instead of Nintendo...

Leonhart

Imagineer
shoz999 said:
Yeah, I know right? Everyone here is thinking the same thing lol. :D How does this work exclusively with sleeping?

I wondered this as well. Right now it seems like people could just cheat at Pokemon Sleep, which is what a lot of people that I knew did with their Pokewalker back in Gen IV by not even using it the right way and simply bouncing it around to simulate walking.

Mag Prime

The Pokemon Avenger
To catch Darkrai you have to defeat it in your nightmares. This can be achieved with the following steps:
  1. The pokemon Go Plus+ will generate noise to annoy you while you sleep in order to induce a nightmare.
  2. It will also monitor your sweat levels by sampling the chemicals in the air, a sudden spike in which would indicate that it has successfully induced a nightmare.
  3. Then, it will start saying "Darkrai" over and over and over again to subconsciously suggest it to appear inside your nightmare.
  4. It will then detect when your sweat levels have gone down again. If you are still asleep yet aren't sweating it assumes that Darkrai has been defeated.
  5. It will then start asking you "Do you want to throw a pokeball?" over and over and over again until you reply "Yes/Sure/Please/Ok" or "No/Shut up" while still asleep.
  6. If you have thrown a pokeball it will attempt to catch it at a low rate. If you succeed you get it when you wake up.
  7. If you have not caught it then it starts asking you to throw another pokeball.
  8. Darkrai has a chance to flee if you fail to catch it with a pokeball. If it flees or you wake up at any point through the process, well, better luck tomorrow.
Only question is, can I send my Darkrai to Home?

Auraninja

Eh, ragazzo!
I think Pokemon Sleep will work something like this:

You set the thing up when you go to bed. When you wake up, you'll find a Pokemon or so to catch.

Maybe catching a Pokemon will invigorate you to stay up afterwards.

Bguy7

The Dragon Lord
I think Pokemon Sleep will work something like this:

You set the thing up when you go to bed. When you wake up, you'll find a Pokemon or so to catch.

Maybe catching a Pokemon will invigorate you to stay up afterwards.

That much seems somewhat clear. The real question is what happens after that. What do you do with the Pokémon you've captured? Is there actually a game, or is this just some sort of glorified sticker book that awards you golden stars for sleeping well?