• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Pokemon Press Conference discussion

BCVM22

We currently barely have any console games nowadays, and with all these mobile games, there’s now much less for fans to play if they are not interested in those. The assumed “threat” of the mobile market has reason to it, being evident that there is a lack of new console games and a drastic increase of mobile compared to the past.

I'm not certain what's meant by "console games" here. If we're talking about Pokémon side titles and spinoffs, yes, we do have fewer of those now than we used to. But there are multiple reasons for that, and the rise of the mobile gaming market is only but one of them, and indirectly at that. The DS and 3DS had plenty, the Switch got Pokémon Quest not all that long ago, and they just announced a new Detective Pikachu for the Switch this evening. Mystery Dungeon is silent for now, but I would put that just as much on low sales and mixed reviews of the last two installments, both of which were on the market for then-current hardware well before Nintendo started venturing into the field of mobile games. People clamor for an updated Pokémon Snap (which I would certainly play), but Pokémon GO is very much an evolution of that same track, and it makes all the sense in the world that they put such a game on devices that not only have a built-in camera, but are designed to leave your house and go everywhere with you.

As for relics like Stadium and Colosseum, those have disappeared because to a lesser extent the 3DS core titles and to a greater extent the Switch core titles do exactly what those older console titles did, and they do it without having to be side titles. There's no need for Pokémon Stadium when all your Pokémon are 3D models now anyway, and Sword and Shield will be everything people believe Colosseum/XD were, and they will be that without the inherent limitations imposed upon spinoff titles.

So if "we barely have any console games nowadays" means that it seems like we're getting fewer Pokémon side games, it's true, but not to an extreme degree, and not solely or directly because of the advent of mobile gaming.

Last edited:

shoz999

Back when Tigers used to smoke.
You know what's another trainer I've always wanted to see return and possibly either represent Johto or Kanto. Janine, the Gym Leader of Fuschia City. She's such an interesting and complicated character in the Pokemon Adventures manga. I don't know about you but I think it makes too much sense for Janine to have Ariados as her signature Pokemon which gives Ariados a great excuse to receive a desperate buff.

250px-Janine_Adventures.png

Redstar45

The Anime/Special's canon know it all.
I think Pokemon Masters will be the first mobile Pokemon game I'll check out. It looks like a game that's at least worth playing when your waiting and I do like there's more attention to the Battle Legends but one thing I really hope is please include Yellow from Pokemon Adventures lol. I know so many fans who want to see her appear in the Pokemon games.
The chance are slim to Nothing you know.

Sceptrigon

Armored Legend
I'm not certain what's meant by "console games" here. If we're talking about Pokémon side titles and spinoffs, yes, we do have fewer of those now than we used to. But there are multiple reasons for that, and the rise of the mobile gaming market is only but one of them, and indirectly at that. The DS and 3DS had plenty, the Switch got Pokémon Quest not all that long ago, and they just announced a new Detective Pikachu for the Switch this evening. Mystery Dungeon is silent for now, but I would put that just as much on low sales and mixed reviews of the last two installments, both of which were on the market for then-current hardware well before Nintendo started venturing into the field of mobile games. People clamor for an updated Pokémon Snap (which I would certainly play), but Pokémon GO is very much an evolution of that same track, and it makes all the sense in the world that they put such a game on devices that not only have a built-in camera, but are designed to leave your house and go everywhere with you.

As for relics like Stadium and Colosseum, those have disappeared because to a lesser extent the 3DS core titles and to a greater extent the Switch core titles do exactly what those older console titles did, and they do it without having to be side titles. There's no need for Pokémon Stadium when all your Pokémon are 3D models now anyway, and Sword and Shield will be everything people believe Colosseum/XD were, and they will be that without the inherent limitations imposed upon spinoff titles.

So if "we barely have any console games nowadays" means that it seems like we're getting fewer Pokémon side games, it's true, but not to an extreme degree, and not solely or directly because of the advent of mobile gaming.

Yes, by console games, I meant spin-offs that have been on strictly video game consoles. Gen 7 has given the most mobile spin-offs and little console ones. While it’s the most recent generation for only about three years giving primarily mobile spin-offs, those show no signs of slowing down in the near future into Gen 8. There are certainly other factors that can contribute to the decline in console games, like challenges in adapting to Switch hardware. You refer to the decline in sales of ones like Mystery Dungeon and inclusion of 3D models and such adapted into the main series, but who’s to say that companies should be restricted by these? There are unlimited ideas, really, to what kinds of new spin-offs companies can create. I’m referring more to ideas that still haven’t been done before, not so much about already existing spin-offs. While mobile games offer their own kinds of ideas to the franchise, their qualities are not nearly comparable to console games that offered so much more. I would really enjoy mobile games if they provided the level of quality that console games have had, but the games that we have just lack in comparison.

BCVM22

And if you're saying that you want more spinoff games for your dedicated video game hardware, that's fine. But that can't accurately be laid solely at the feet of the mobile gaming. We aren't being denied... I don't know, a Pokémon kart racer just because DeNA is working on Pokémon Masters. They draw from different resource pools.

So again, there are legitimate complaints to be had over the lack of titles other than the core titles, but I wouldn't strictly place that blame on the franchise's mobile outings.

Leonhart

Imagineer
I have to admit that Pokemon Sleep creeps me out. Just the thought of having my sleep monitored by a Big Brother-esque program feels intrusive and not very appealing, and I'm not sure that the benefits outweigh the lack of privacy factor.

And I'm aware that I don't need to download the program if I don't want to, I'm just surprised that spying on people sleeping is the new gimmick now.

Divine Retribution

Conquistador de pan
I have to admit that Pokemon Sleep creeps me out. Just the thought of having my sleep monitored by a Big Brother-esque program feels intrusive and not very appealing, and I'm not sure that the benefits outweigh the lack of privacy factor.

And I'm aware that I don't need to download the program if I don't want to, I'm just surprised that spying on people sleeping is the new gimmick now.

It does set a bit of a disturbing precedent, even if the app itself is probably harmless.

However I can get the pessimism behind the seemingly "death" of spin-offs in favour of mobile games. By their nature mobile games tend not to be as meaty as those on consoles and there is the possible bugbear of micro transactions. It is also a bit sad we are not likely seeing a Mystery Dungeon game in the near future.

Edit: Also Rosa seems to be getting a love lately, quite an honour from a playable character not from Gen 1.

"Lately?" You mean there was more Rosa love I don't know of? Not that I'm complaining since Rosa's my favorite design for female trainers, but color me surprised.

Bguy7

The Dragon Lord

I highly doubt that this data will be gathered. What use would it even be to people? And honestly, who cares if some random company knows when you're sleeping? Sure, it sounds a little creepy, but it's not like we're talking about some sort of stalker or robber who would use the data for nefarious purposes. In fact, I doubt that company cares one bit about whether you fall asleep at 9 PM or at 3 AM.

Genos

The Indigo Disk
Excited for Pokemon Home. I can finally store all my Pokemon from US and place it onto Sword. And I'll be finally over with the 3DS. Though I have till early next year to do that.

Pokemon Masters looks fun. I'm not really into gacha games (my brother is) but I'll try it to see If I'm going to play it often.

As for Pokemon Sleep. Well that's interesting concept for a game. o_O

D*N

Musical Star
I honestly rather throw my money at an interesting game spin-off with actual effort in it than spend it on microtransactions in half-assed mobile games. Not really excited for anything that was announced, but oh well if they find people who like it, good for them.

lemoncatpower

Cynical Optimist
Haven't we already had a pokemon masters game for mobile? Or was that a digimon game and this just looks like a remake of it but with pokemon? Idk but these types of games are becoming increasingly popular on mobile so this is not anything new really except it's Pokemon.

Pokemon Home is something that has been anticipated tbh, so at least they waited for a bunch of little announcements and put them together for a big announcement.. idk lol.

Pokemon Masters will be the first time trainers will have voices, though not dialogue voices.
Honestly adding voices into games makes a game that much better in my opinion, even if they're just random blurbs/sounds they say when you start talking to them and not exactly what they're saying.

Jangobadass

Surprise!
I was wondering what they could talk about besides S&S.

Turns out it's just them making mountains out of molehills again... -_-

You know what's another trainer I've always wanted to see return and possibly either represent Johto or Kanto. Janine, the Gym Leader of Fuschia City. She's such an interesting and complicated character in the Pokemon Adventures manga. I don't know about you but I think it makes too much sense for Janine to have Ariados as her signature Pokemon which gives Ariados a great excuse to receive a desperate buff.

250px-Janine_Adventures.png

Even better, make a cool promo short for Masters featuring her and everyone else still stuck in the Never Animated Gulag!

Creyk

I highly doubt that this data will be gathered. What use would it even be to people? And honestly, who cares if some random company knows when you're sleeping? Sure, it sounds a little creepy, but it's not like we're talking about some sort of stalker or robber who would use the data for nefarious purposes. In fact, I doubt that company cares one bit about whether you fall asleep at 9 PM or at 3 AM.

It's data, in the age of information technology any sort of data can be sold, maybe for advertisement purposes. Stranger things have happened.

shoz999

Back when Tigers used to smoke.
I was wondering what they could talk about besides S&S.

Turns out it's just them making mountains out of molehills again... -_-

Even better, make a cool promo short for Masters featuring her and everyone else still stuck in the Never Animated Gulag!
This is one of the reasons why I prefer the Pokemon Adventures manga over the anime, practically every character from the video games is in the Pokemon Adventures manga. A chunk of video game characters have been left out of the anime and the odds of seeing any of them now are extremely slim. It's annoying to see a bunch of favorites left out for unexplained reasons, I'm pretty sure this is how the Guzma fanbase felt after over a 100 episodes of no Guzma. All the more happier to see another Pokemon property who can potentially have that "EVERYONE IS HERE!" vibe.

Redstar45

The Anime/Special's canon know it all.
This is one of the reasons why I prefer the Pokemon Adventures manga over the anime, practically every character from the video games is in the Pokemon Adventures manga. A chunk of video game characters have been left out of the anime and the odds of seeing any of them now are extremely slim. It's annoying to see a bunch of favorites left out for unexplained reasons, I'm pretty sure this is how the Guzma fanbase felt after over a 100 episodes of no Guzma. All the more happier to see another Pokemon property who can potentially have that "EVERYONE IS HERE!" vibe.
And we don't care about that & let face it now ....the special manga is overrated and is losing it popular slowly now
It is at 75 of millions of manga to anime.
It is same thing for ani and game .