• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

"Pokemon" pronunciation

Volcaronick

How did you pronounce pokemon names before you learned how?

Some of mine weren't too bad, and some were horrible.

I still don't know how to pronounce Regigigas. But anyway.

Onix= Oinks. I bought that Pokemon manual thing will I was little and I was a late viewer. I can't explain.

Togepi= TogEpi. Not bad. Just put the long E sound on it.

Hippopotas= I just totally butchered. I don't even know what I called it.

Hippowdon- Hippo-don. Not bad. Just forgot the W.

Happiny- Happen E. Vs Hap-pee-nee

Darmanitan= Darmation (like Dalmation)

Garbodor- Gar-Bore-Door (Fail)

Hydreigon- Hydro-gon (Fail)

What are some of yours? I probably have a lot more but I don't remember

Crimson Penguin

Marchin' on
I thought Rayquaza was Ray-kwah-za, Milotic was Mih-law-tic, and Suicune was Swee-soon. I also pronounced Chimecho two different ways before I heard the correct pronunciation - at first it was Chi-meh-cho and then it became Chime-cho. Then I finally realized what it was supposed to be after I saw James get his Chimecho in the anime...

Finally, when Pansage's English name was revealed, I thought it was pronounced as if it were Japanese. So Pawn-saw-geh. >.<

I always pronounced Arcanine, are-kay-nine. Kinda like a dog can be called a canine, so it kinda made sense. My friend had to explain that it was arca-nine. I also was really confused about ponyta. I thought it was pony-ta but then the narrator guy in Pokemon Stadium called it Po-knee-taa, so that was really confusing for me.

Wartusk

Blaziken FTW!!!
When I first got into Pokemon, I pronounced the "eon" in the Eeveelutions "ion."

Don't ask me why, I'm not even sure myself.

Wishing Star

Astral Charm Owner
The only one I can think of is Growlithe (GROWL-ith).
Is it pie-dove or PIH-dove for Pidove? And BEAR-tic or be-AR-tic for Beartic?

The announcers in the Pokémon Stadium-esque games are weird, sometimes. It's obviously POH-nee-ta and GAR-chomp, not poh-NEE-ta and gar-CHOMP.

Estellise

peachy
I use to pronounce Feebas as Fee-bass instead of Fee-bas. I also said RE-kou for Raikou,and RE-chu for Raichu :p
Thought of another.
I use to pronounce the Regis as Rega (I was young) Regarock,Regasteel,and Regaice. Don't even get me started on Regigigas.

Last edited:

sizida

CoconutIsTheAnswer
i thought i saw this kind of thread somewhere some months ago. i wonder where it went.

Crimson Penguin

Marchin' on
Wishing Star said:
The only one I can think of is Growlithe (GROWL-ith).
Is it pie-dove or PIH-dove for Pidove? And BEAR-tic or be-AR-tic for Beartic?

I'm pretty sure your pronunciation for Growlithe is correct. IIRC, the Pokerap pronounced it Growl-LIEth, but that's incorrect. (I think...)

And according to the anime, Pidove is Pee-dove (which I hate), and Beartic is Bare-tic, like a bear with ticks.

It would be nice if there was an "official pronunciation guide" for Pokemon so people wouldn't be as confused. But then, knowing how many mistakes there are in the "official" guides to begin with... maybe not.

Jordie

Bang!
My stepsister got me into pokemon, so I always asked her how to pronounce names (A lot of she mispronounced adn then I did too)

Combusken=Com-buh-shun-ken
Kyogre=Kee-oh-gree
Verdanturf Town=Van-der-iff Town

Endolise

TengenToppaBoogaloo
I still don't know how to pronounce Regigigas. But anyway.

I believe it's Reh-Jee-Gih-Guss. That's how I say it, anyway.

Hippopotas= I just totally butchered. I don't even know what I called it.

I've always called him "Hih-POE-puh-tahs."

Hippowdon- Hippo-don. Not bad. Just forgot the W.

I used to call him "Hippo-Down" until I realized I was misplacing the W.

Happiny- Happen E. Vs Hap-pee-nee

I usually go with "Hap-pee-nee."

I've still mispronounce Rayquaza as "Ray-kwah-zuh" out of habit.

Only just yesterday did I discover that I'd been mispronouncing Chimecho for years. (I always called is "Kim-eh-koh"; kinda like "chemical")

I used to mispronounce Conkeldurr as "Kon-kull-DURR" instead of "Kon-KELL-der."

Alomolomomoloma.

Also a recent discovery, Liepard isn't pronounced "Lee-eh-pard." I felt really dumb for not noticing that.

I still pronounce Sceptile as "Suss-sep-tyle"; similar to "susceptible."

Suicune used to be "Soo-ih-coon" and Raikou used to be "Rye-koo."

Also, I'm not really sure if I say Reshiram/Zekrom the right way or not. I say "Reh-sheer-am" and "Zeck-rom." But my friend says "Zee-krom," so I'm a little confused on the matter.

Wishing Star

Astral Charm Owner
Also, I'm not really sure if I say Reshiram/Zekrom the right way or not. I say "Reh-sheer-am" and "Zeck-rom." But my friend says "Zee-krom," so I'm a little confused on the matter.

I pronounce it REH-shi-ram (or REH-sher-ram, depending on my mood) and ZEK-rom. I don't think you can possibly mispronounce Zekrom without misinterpreting short and long vowels.

TheEliteEmpoleon

I usually call the pokemon how I think they should be called. The ones that I say that are "wrong" are
Pidove-I say Pi-dove
Zweilous-Not sure how to say this
Arceus-I say Are-see-us
Rayquaza-I say Ruh-quay-za

The ones that I used to mispronouce are Chimecho, Gyarados, and maybe a few more.

Weedy Spyze

I remember I used to call Raikou "rai-koo" and Suicune "see-shun" as a kid. I have no idea how my eight year old mind came up with that Suicune pronunciation.

Another one was Rayquaza as "ray-qwah-zah." If I'm pronouncing any other names wrong, I'm not aware.

Indigoodra

I think the worst one for me was pronouncing Suicune "sue-soon"

And Lugia like Luigi, but with an "ah" on the end. @___@

Sidewinder

Ours is the Fury
I remember I used to call Raikou "rai-koo" and Suicune "see-shun" as a kid. I have no idea how my eight year old mind came up with that Suicune pronunciation.

Another one was Rayquaza as "ray-qwah-zah." If I'm pronouncing any other names wrong, I'm not aware.

I'm right there with you on Suicune. For some reason, the first time I saw it in text I thought it sounded like Soo-queen, and contiuned to think of it that way until I heard everyone at a convention pronouncing it the correct way. Obviously I adopted my pronunciation accordingly

OshyHikari

c l a r i t y
I remember mispronouncing Deino, Zweilous and Hydreigon's names until I watched one of Marriland's Pokemon White Adventure videos. (I think it was Victory Road Pt. 1)

monkeyman192

simply bored
I used to pronounce victini as "vin-cinti" misreading where the c was..
from the above post I assume I say Rayquaza and suicune wrong.
It is confusing sometimes talking to mates about pokemon, as some pokemon we all say differently, so we have to try say the name different ways or just explain what pokemon we are talking about...

Endolise

TengenToppaBoogaloo
I never got how to say Arceus. I have always pronounced it "Ar-see-us."

Arceus and the Jewel of Life would suggest that it's pronounced "Ar-kee-us," but seeing as how his Japanese name is pronounced "Aru-see-us," that leads me to believe that it was intended to be pronounced "Ar-see-us." Which is how I would pronounce it naturally anyway upon seeing it spelled that way it is.