• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

"Pokemon" pronunciation

blackterminator3

Here are some of my fails at pronoun-cation of their names:
Groudon= Grow-Don
Electribuzz= Elect-Trick-Buzz
Steelix= Steal-Ix
Hitmontop= Hit-Mon-Top
Magmor= Mag-More

DrasticPhase

Half ded
The two I can only remember is Chandelure and Regice
Chandelure = Shan-di-lere(I really don't know why..)
Regice = Re-gi-ice(Since Re-gi-rock and Re-gi-steel, I thought it was the same)

Endolise

TengenToppaBoogaloo

Ninjames

NOT JACK WILSHIRE
Ponyta - Pow-nee-tah (emphasis on the nee part)
Magikarp - Ma-gih-karp
Gyarados - Jee-ara-doss
Geodude - ???dude (the geo part threw me entirely, I hadn't a clue how to say it)
Lugia - Loo-jee-ah

As you can see I struggled with the pronunciations.

ShinyGoogleplex

Guess who!?
I find this thread interesting! (don't come to these parts often enough)

Well, even mild Dyslexia would throw off even an easier name. I'm comfortable with how I say 'em, and most that roll off my tongue are pretty darn close to the universal fandom.

Except, Gardevoir that is. Most trouble there but then I heard one (a female one?) pronounce itself on the English "Super Smash Bros. Brawl" and I said "Close enough." with shoulders shrugged. I'm aware that you can have Japanese audio & text on SSBB but I just want to get to the violence right away. :cool:

Anyway, one should never pronounce the fully mature form of Ralts with a 'Garden' (of Good and Evil) sound in it. And what really helps me even try to say it is thinking of a type of furniture that I can't spell similar to the pokemon. My mom has this furniture. It starts with a 'arm--' something.

Groudon - Ground-on
Rayquaza - Ray-quAh-zah
Regice - Re-gice
Kyogre - Ki-ogre (I think it's Kai-ogrey)
Arceus - Ar-seh-us

StanTheStaraptor

I have always pronounced Kyogre as ky-gore (I assume it's meant to be ky-o-gerr).
Is the "c" in Sceptile pronounced or not? I've always said "Skeptile" instead of "Septile"
And Metagross - is the "gross" pronounced "gr-oss" or "gro-ss"
I don't watch the anime so I'm probably mispronouncing Tepig too. (Is it "teh-pig"?)

TheEmeraldKnight

Lookin' for Shinies
For me I would say Ky-gore instead of Kyogre and that was becuase I didn't pay that much attention when I first saw its name.

SuperPichu

Pokémon!
Glameow- Glay-meow
Snivy- Snih-vee
Dialga- Die-ill-gah
Raikou- Rai-ku
Reshiram- Reshi-rom
Empoleon- Empo-lee-ihn
Pidove- Pih-dove
Braviary- Brayv-ee-ar-ree

Not a Pokemon but I used to call Unova- Ah-no-vah
I'm pretty sure there's more but that's all I can think of.

Growlithe - Growlthee (I always read it too fast)
Arceus - Arseeus
Rayquaza - Rayqwaza
Ariados - Adios (xD)
Illumise - Illoohmise (I've pronounced it right after watching the anime)
Braviary - Brivary
Regice - Rege-Ice

briguin

Dr. Geek
Kyogre: Kwoy-Gr. Don't know why, I still call it that sometimes.
Groudon: Grew-Don. I saw Jirachi Wish Maker, started saying it right. But I still occasionally call it Grewdon.

Those are the main two. I think there are others, but I can't remember if I'm right or not.

Shade2000

Shade in Shades
Hippopotas - Hippo - pot - arse
Kyurem - Ky - ure - rem
Dewott - Dee - Wott
Tepig - Tee - Pig
Charmeleon - Cham - el - eon
Briavry - Bri - vary

For all of you who thought you pronounced regice wrong when you said Regi -ice instead of Reg - ice it IS pronounced Regi - ice

Last edited:

Missingno.Fan

Right off of the top of my head all I can think of it Chimecho which I thought was Chime-cho. Also I though Kyogre was Kie-Oh-Gree.

Dr. Leggs

Astral Cowboy
Only ones I pronounced wrong were Rayquaza (ray-KWAH-za) and Chimecho (CHIM-eh-cho, which is weird).

~CallOfTheIndie~

Now on vinyl
As a little kid, I used to call Starmie "Stonie", 'cause at the time I saw "Bye Bye Butterfree", I was quite young, and tried emulating the way Misty called out her Starmie (that's how it came out from her when I heard it)
And I pronounce Ponyta as pony-Tah, while I hear others say po-Nee-dah

Last edited: