• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

"Pokemon" pronunciation

Pippi

Cool
Illumise - I-lo-mu-se
Beartic - Bee-art-ic
Cryogonal - Cry-a-gon-al
And probably a few more I'm missing and can't remember...

Snivy Link

i know it's not correct but to me, Snivy(like sny-vy) is female but snivy(like sniv-ee) is male

Valkneer

Wandering Trainer
I used to call Sceptile (Sep-tile) as Skep-tile

PsychicPsycho

I've always wondered if Pineco is Pine-co or pin-echo
I generally say Sky-zor for Scizor, although I've heard people say it's supposed to be a soft 'i', or scissor.
Piloswine is a mess. I go between saying poly-swine and pie-lo-swine, and pillow-swine occasionally pops into my head, from hearing others
I'm not not sure about Houndour. I've always said Houn-door, but I've wondered if it's Houn-dower
I've always said Sue-i-coon, despite hearing it should be otherwise. Also, Raikou and Entei are Ry-coo and in-tie
Lugia is also a confusing one. I generally say You-gee-uh/You-jee-uh or Loo-jee-uh.
Not sure how to pernounce Sigiliyph. :l
I've always said Sig-ul-lif, similar to siggle-lif. That's probably slightly wrong though, since the name is likely a combination of 'sigil' & 'hieroglyph', making it sijjle-lif

☭Secret_Shocker☭

I never knew what Arceus's real pronounciation is. I pronounce him as "AR-SEE-YUS"

Orbis

What?
I hate to burst your Bubblebeam, but you're in the wrong. The "e" in Pokémon has an accent aigu over it - I just typed it right there in the word for your benefit. That tells you how the "e" is pronounced, and it tells you to pronounce it as "ay." Each time you hit your friends for doing something right, you're kind of being a pigheaded jerk. Of course, it's probably just friendly jesting, so I don't actually mean that seriously. But yeah, you're wrong.

Um, i believe I said I know that's how is supposed to be pronounced. But I dont like that. I have said that many times.

Bolt the Cat

Bringing the Thunder
Piloswine is a mess. I go between saying poly-swine and pie-lo-swine, and pillow-swine occasionally pops into my head, from hearing others
I'm not not sure about Houndour. I've always said Houn-door, but I've wondered if it's Houn-dower
I've always said Sue-i-coon, despite hearing it should be otherwise. Also, Raikou and Entei are Ry-coo and in-tie
Lugia is also a confusing one. I generally say You-gee-uh/You-jee-uh or Loo-jee-uh.
I've always said Sig-ul-lif, similar to siggle-lif. That's probably slightly wrong though, since the name is likely a combination of 'sigil' & 'hieroglyph', making it sijjle-lif

Piloswine is PAI-lo-swine, Houndour is HOUND-ower, Suicune is SWEE-coon, and Lugia is LOO-gi-uh.

Soperman

The One and Only
Well, my friend calls Salamence SulAmince. Then when I corrected him (SalAmence) he didn't know who I was talking about.
Sableye was Suboulba. I had no idea how to pronounce his name until I watched an episode with him in the anime :I

Wishing Star

Astral Charm Owner
I believe it's Ark-eus, I remember the official site confirming that.

I believe Pokémon names that are the same in both Japanese and English (Pikachu, Seadra, Poochyena, Miltank, and most legendaries) retain as much pronunciation as possible while still keeping it accurate. That would mean that the c in Arceus actually has a soft-c sound, not a hard-c sound (AR-see-us).

Poliwhirl'sMittens

Lorelei's Apprentice
Arceus is still AR-kee-yuss instead of AR-see-yus

Scizor is still SEE-zor instead of scissor (I hear a lot of people pronounce it that way<<)

Raikou was RAI-ku instead of RAI-koe

Entei went from EN-tai, to EN-tee, to the proper EN-tay.

Regice is still regi-ice instead of REJ-ice (since the others have regi...)

Regigigas was regi-GAI-guss, instead of Regi-GIH-guss

Rayquaza was ray-QUAW-zuh instead of ray-QUAY-zuh but I like the sound of ray-QUAW-zuh better though since the latter sounds awkwardish...

I still don't know the Machop line.. muh-CHOP or MAW-chop, muh-CHOKE or MAW-choke, muh-CHAMP or MAW-champ...I say them interchangeably...

I still don't know half of the gen 5 names so I'm probably butchering most of them.

I still don't even know how to pronounce pokemon.... is it PO-kay-mon, PO-kee-mon, or PO-kuh-mon...I say all three interchangeably...