• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

"Pokemon" pronunciation

OrcaCity

Expert Killer Whale
I also pronounced Houndour Hound-door instead of Hound-ower for a really long time.

Bolt the Cat

Bringing the Thunder
Delighted for the both of you. Say "Gya" fast enough and the Y often gets lost anyway. Not seeing the issue here.

"Gya" and "Ga" are completely different sounds, you can't just "say it fast and drop the Y". Either you pronounce it "Gya-ra-dos" or "Ga- rad-os", they're not the same thing.

Nephilim

Muffin Button Master
I've always pronounced Gyarados without the "Y". I'm pretty sure that's just how it's pronounced even in the anime, but I could be wrong..

flamebeam

DAYN-JUH ZONE!
I've always pronounced Gyarados without the "Y". I'm pretty sure that's just how it's pronounced even in the anime, but I could be wrong..

yeah i think they pronounce it without the "y", too, and tbh it sound ugly to me when you throw in that "y" in there

Last edited:

breetel03

Back when I was really young, 8 or 9, I had never seen the word 'Psychic' before, and I remember my Pokemon Mewtwo had a moved called Psychic. Not knowing how to pronounce it, I would just always pronounce it by saying the letters, P-S-Y, then saying 'Chick' So essentially I would say, Pee-Ess-Why-Chick. Really stupid I know. Haha.

Wishing Star

Astral Charm Owner
As happy middle ground, I'd say the first syllable of Gyarados would be pronounced the same way the first syllable of "Gary" is pronounced: "care" but with a g sound instead of a c sound.

Poetry

Dancing Mad
All of these seem to be "American" pronunciations, if I assume correctly - i.e. mostly how Gyrados is pronounced in the anime, etc. I think the majority of people in Britain pronounce it "guy-ra-dos".
There could also be a discrepancy as to how people pronounce the last syllable. As far as I know, some people say it as "dose" while others say "doss". From personal experience, Americans seem to favour the former pronunciation.

Wishing Star

Astral Charm Owner
All of these seem to be "American" pronunciations, if I assume correctly - i.e. mostly how Gyrados is pronounced in the anime, etc. I think the majority of people in Britain pronounce it "guy-ra-dos".
There could also be a discrepancy as to how people pronounce the last syllable. As far as I know, some people say it as "dose" while others say "doss". From personal experience, Americans seem to favour the former pronunciation.

There's always names like "Milotic" and "Bagon" that often get multiple pronunciations. "Bagon" especially. :p

Pyrotechnet

Aviator Guy
Arceus. Still, to this day, I call is like "Ar-say-us". It just, it sounds better.

flamebeam

DAYN-JUH ZONE!

well if you guys say it like that then i can't really argue cuz every nation is gonna say it differently. just out of curiosity, but are there any other dialect differences? you know, between american and british?

I used to pronounce Kyurem as "Kie-you-rem", then altered it into "Kee-you-rem".

Anime pronouncations are such a fail... I mean, Querem and Fe-ROSS-eed? lol...

And at the Gyarados discussion, I pronounce it "Gary-a-dose".

Masterge77

Floatzel rules!
I have no idea how to pronounce "Mienshao" at all, I always pronounce it "Mine-shao", "Meen-shao", "Me-in-shao", and "Min-shao"

Mienfoo

Martial Arts Pokémon
I have no idea how to pronounce "Mienshao" at all, I always pronounce it "Mine-shao", "Meen-shao", "Me-in-shao", and "Min-shao"

The official pronunciation is MEEN-shao, but I personally pronounce it as 'MEE-en-shao'.

As a kid, I always pronounced Articuno 'Art-COR-nee-oh'. I do not even know why I pronounced it that way; I guess it is because I sucked at reading names that time. I also used to pronounce Abomasnow 'Ah-BO-mi-na-snow.' and Braviary 'Bray-VAI-ree'.

flamebeam

DAYN-JUH ZONE!
The official pronunciation is MEEN-shao, but I personally pronounce it as 'MEE-en-shao'.

As a kid, I always pronounced Articuno 'Art-COR-nee-oh'. I do not even know why I pronounced it that way; I guess it is because I sucked at reading names that time. I also used to pronounce Abomasnow 'Ah-BO-mi-na-snow.' and Braviary 'Bray-VAI-ree'.

mienshao involves Chinese pronunciation. therefore it is mee-EN-shao.

with braviary, i know it's pronounced BRAY-vee-air-ee, like aviary, but old habits die hard and sometimes accidentally revert to bray-vee-AHR-ee

Ditto B1tch

I would say that Ho-oh was the most complicate pronunciation for me, and for most of the people as well.

Last edited:

Shaylup

debeo capere omnes
I am arguing with someone about how to pronounce Audino. I think it's au-DEEN-oh, they think it's AU-din-oh. Also, I pronounce Gyarados jee-ARRA-dose.

Wishing Star

Astral Charm Owner

This makes no sense to me. Considering that Deino, Zweilous, and Hydreigon got their "language of origin" correct pronunciation, I have to question why Mienfoo and Mienshao didn't get the same treatment. :/