• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Pokemon released into the wild.

Status
Not open for further replies.

dagon22

Charmander master!
Let’s say that a pokemon trainer raises a pokemon. Then eventually releases it for some reason. Could this upset the balance of nature? The pokemon would know moves that a pokemon of its species would not normally know. Just wondering.

I highly doubt it.

This thread is pointless.

Mr. Joker

keep calm & carry on
Why would it upset it? I am going to say that it just will fit in with the others!

-Mr. Joker ;479-s;

dagon22

Charmander master!
True. Since most pokemon are nice and all that, ok, this is a really pointless post. Sorry everyone out there.

Synthetic

It's possible that the pokemon could become a dominant member of its species, perhaps. If, say, a level 90 rapidash with unsual moves was released into an area where other herds of rapidash resided, it might bully other members and establish its own place. If it's female, it might settle more peacefully, but if it's male, it may well fight several stallions for their herds and, being stronger than most (or all) wild stallions, it could control a much larger herd.

That is, of course, if the animal hasn't been neutered. :p

It probably wouldn't upset the balance of nature very much at all, but it might have a fair impact on the genes of the next generation, if it had the ability to breed, I guess.

BlitzBlast

Busy with School
Besides, if you want to equate this to the real world, the released Pokemon will be stronger then anything else, so it gets a mate.

You're doing it a favor basically.

dagon22

Charmander master!
It's possible that the pokemon could become a dominant member of its species, perhaps. If, say, a level 90 rapidash with unsual moves was released into an area where other herds of rapidash resided, it might bully other members and establish its own place. If it's female, it might settle more peacefully, but if it's male, it may well fight several stallions for their herds and, being stronger than most (or all) wild stallions, it could control a much larger herd.

That is, of course, if the animal hasn't been neutered. :p

It probably wouldn't upset the balance of nature very much at all, but it might have a fair impact on the genes of the next generation, if it had the ability to breed, I guess.

This was pretty much what I meant. I thought about this as I feel asleep one night.

Synthetic

Besides, if you want to equate this to the real world, the released Pokemon will be stronger then anything else, so it gets a mate.

You're doing it a favor basically.

^ Precisely.

It might also benefit the whole species because, if the pokemon has been trained well, it may apply what it learnt in pokemon battles to the wild environment. Not just in unique attacks, but in evasion or defensive/offensive manoeuvres, which would be observed by other pokemon of its species and learnt, in this way. Like humans, many creatures in the real world learn by observation, so pokemon may well do the same. :)

Penguinist Trainer

I don't see how it would upset the balance of nature. After all, any moves it knows is only possible because it can learn those moves whether through leveling or breeding. This pokemon will probably become the alpha of its herd, or will start a new herd with the prospects of furthering its stronger lineage.

Simply put, any upset natural balance will correct itself with the process of natural selection.

dagon22

Charmander master!
I'm guessing that means, in order for there to be an unbalance, someone would need to release many pokemon, instead of just one. Considering that there is almost 500 pokemon out there.

Synthetic

You would probably have to flood a population with trained individuals, basically. Even then, I doubt it would 'upset' the balance, to to speak... but put a new, stronger gene pool into the mix.

There could be the possibility of inbreeding, maybe... but that seems unlikely. It depends on how closed the population that you release trained pokemon into is.

~Cosmic~

The Plot Thickens
Well, if it had TM moves, it might become dominant, but I dunno.

Status
Not open for further replies.