1. We have moved to a new forum system. All your posts and data should have transferred over. Welcome, to the new Serebii Forums. Details here
    Dismiss Notice
  2. We have received legal notice about the sharing of certain images for Pokémon Sword & Shield. Due to this, we have a new rule. If you post said images, you will be removed from the forums until 15:00 UTC on November 14th 2019. We have also killed the leak discussion threads for the time being. Thank you for your patience during this. If you have any queries, use the contact form
  3. Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
    Dismiss Notice
  4. If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders
    Dismiss Notice

Pokemon Research Paper Ideas?

Discussion in 'General Pokémon Discussion' started by MusicianAlex, Jun 8, 2017.

1. MusicianAlex

MusicianAlex Member

I'm currently at the tail end of a summer term English class about writing research papers, and the final paper is due on Sunday. I have had really bad panic attacks writing papers for years, except for two semesters ago when I wrote a paper on Hamilton, which was my main special interest at the time. The entire paper turned into a big info dump, and I think my passion for it helped me complete the paper without any huge panic attacks, and it got me a B in the class.

My current special interest happens to be a giant re-boot in my long-time special interest in Pokemon. I've been playing the games religiously again and writing fanfiction again and binge-watching the anime again. I really would love to write my paper on Pokemon so I can just formally info-dump and avoid panic attacks, but the only problem is, all of the sources have to be peer-reviewed and such, and it has to be something that can be debated (so like, other people are talking about abortion, or politics, or religion). I don't really want to do the old "Pokemon is straight from Satan" thing because that always makes me really paranoid and push me away from Pokemon for a little while, but I'll do it if there's nothing else. I figured I could ask you all for a little help on this and see if you have any other ideas on what I could do. Thoughts?

2. PrinceOfFacade

PrinceOfFacade Ghost-Type Master

I would recommend a research paper on the various business practices of The Pokémon Company and its three shared contributors: Game Freak, Nintendo, and Creatures Inc.

You can discuss how The Pokémon Company came to be, how rights are utilized and distributed, and the complex concept of ownership of the Pokémon franchise. I'd say it makes for a great paper.

Your debate prompt could be: "Who owns Pokémon?"

3. Janovy

Janovy Banned

Pokemon's age group: is Pokemon really just for children? How has Pokemon evolved as a franchise and began to cater towards older audience? How have its characters/stories/worlds evolved through each generation?

4. An idea I like is: Why Pokemon Isn't a Game About Abuse. It's so controversial, but if you look at enough evidence you can create a really solid argument about it.

5. Ellis

Ellis サトセレ結婚

All very good ideas being suggested. There are many debatable topics and controversies, but you could also look at it from a cultural perspective. Why is Pokemon a success? Why has it become the international franchise that has been adored for 20 years? You may also wish to further scope your argument with perhaps a more recent and focused topic; I recall many people saying last summer that playing Pokemon Go encouraged them to get outside more and interact with the world, which vastly improved their physical and mental health, so there's certainly a whole host of topics to debate.

Best of luck with this, and let us know you decide to research!

6. MusicianAlex

MusicianAlex Member

Thank you all so much for your help!! I'm starting the paper now. I think my thesis is going to be that Pokemon can be a very good influence instead of a poor one. I'm going to try to use Ash Ketchum as an example and events in the games and anime to support it, and I'm going to refute the arguments that it's bad for kids. Here's hoping I do well on it, haha. Thank you again!!

EDIT: I FINISHED IT!!! And I didn't cry or have any panic attacks or meltdowns or anything when I wrote it!!! (Last night was a different story BUT) I ended up changing the topic to the benefits of Pokemon Go, since I couldn't find any academic articles on anything else Pokemon-wise. I felt really good about the paper, like I might get a B? But as long as I get a C, I should pass the class!!! I'm super proud of myself for finishing it finally. Thank you again for giving me ideas and everything!!!

Last edited: Jun 11, 2017
  7. uadialej

uadialej New Member

I will say it makes for a great paper.