• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Pokemon Sapphire: In-Game Team Building Suggestions Needed

Dave30904

Hello everyone I'm new to the forums. I just got back into my pokemon sapphire game and I'm trying to make a perfect team fro going through the game. For my starter I chose a female modest treeko (so I could possible breed later on). Was modest the smart choice for my treeko if she is going to be a special sweeper or is timid the better choice?

Another thing I would want help on is gathering a good team as quick and ealry as possible so I can train them. I read that Slaking is preety good. What about Swellow and Gardevior?

Thanks in advance.

Additional Comment:
Another thing. I cannot trade so that leaves alakazam out of the picture even though he is a great pokemon. I only have one GBA and Pokemon Sapphire. What I'm looking for is good suggestions on which pokemon I need to catch early on and use. So far my thoughts were on Treeko, Ralts, Tailow, and Slakoth. If I were to restart and go for Mudkip then I was thinking of going for Mudkip, Ralts, Tailow, Slakoth, and Shroomish. Can't think of what will be needed for a 6th poke if I go for Mudkip. I'm a perfectionist as well so I want to make sure my pokemon have the right movesets and natures. Another thing I'm new to is this EV/IV training. I need to learn more about it somehow.

The Mighty Wurmple

Read the rules.

No Gimme a Team Threads.

Yes, Modest Treecko if good.
Some good, early on suggestions are Swellow, Slaking, Breloom can be good, it's the same with Gardevoir. So pretty much what you said.

Also, don't double post.

Leithsumbreon#1

Early on huh....

Swellow
Adamant

-Steel wing/ hp ground
-Arial Ace
-Facade
-Return

Slaking@Chesto berry
Adamant

-Focus Punch
-Substitute
-Rest
-Return

Sceptile
Modest/Timid <--- modest recommended.

-Leaf blade
-Leech seed
-Dragon claw
-Thunder punch

Gardevoir@Lum berry
Timid

-Hypnosis
-Thunderbolt
-Psychic
-Calm mind

Swampert@Chesto berry
Relaxed

-Curse
-Rest
-Surf
-Earthquake

Shroomish evo
Adamant

-Spore <--- You need to keep shroomish up to lvl 40 ish, but it's worth it
-Sky uppercut
-Leech seed
-Rock slide

I cant think of the name for shroomish evo, and I din't bother looking it up.

Heads up for future forum posting, there is an edit button at the bottom right corner of your post. It is better if you use that instead of double posting, you get in trouble for double posting. :)

EDIT: three people posted at the same time.

Dave30904

What can I replace curse with? And should I go for a fire type or an electric type as my 6th pokemon? Also sorry about that I just wanted answers badly. I'm new but I'll learn.

The Mighty Wurmple

You can replace Curse with Ice Beam.
There aren't many good fire Pokemon in R/S/E apart from Blaziken either.
Try Manectric.

edit: Woo! Up a rank!

Leithsumbreon#1

Manetric is good... but you have access to Raichu, and Raichu is better.
Torkoal is not so bad, you can use it as a tank and give it over heat for sweeping power.

Torkoal@Leftovers/Chesto berry
Relaxed

-Amnesia/Rest
-Iron defence
-Toxic/Rest
-Overheat/Flamethrower.. power over accurassy here, your choice.

http://www.serebii.net/games/mechanics.shtml
^^^^ Read over these to learn about Ev's and Iv's and so many more things you probably dint know about.

Dave30904

I'm going with Mudkip (female?) with a relaxed nature, Ralts with a timid nature, Tailow with a adamant nature, Slakoth with a adamant nature, Shroomish with a adamant nature, and Raichu or Torkoal.

Last edited:

Leithsumbreon#1

Torkoal.

Do you plan on building a team for battle tower? If so, and you plan to use your starter, get a female. It makes re breeding easier. Slakoth female aswell, it will make it like you faster (Unless you choose a girl then guy). Same for swellow. Will power up return faster.

Dave30904

Thanks alot. I'm not sure if battle tower is in Pokemon Sapphire and if so then I might try it out. I'll take your suggestions on what to do for battle tower though.

Should I get all female pokemon since they will like me faster because I chose Boy?

Last edited:

aragornbird

(。◕‿‿◕。)
That is what made me think that gender could alter happieness. Sorry if I misunderstood.
More like whatever Leith said about gender and happiness is wrong. But you SHOULD get a female starter though, especially if you're using Sceptile. You need to breed it with Shroomish to get Leech Seed as soon as you reach Route 117.

BigCharizard

More like whatever Leith said about gender and happiness is wrong. But you SHOULD get a female starter though, especially if you're using Sceptile. You need to breed it with Shroomish to get Leech Seed as soon as you reach Route 117.

You can't breed Shroomish and Treecko. You need to use Bulbasaur or chain breeding to get Leech Seed on a Treecko.

Crypted Wolf

Swellow@ Choice Band
Adamant
-Steel wing/ hp ground
-Arial Ace
-Facade
-Return

Slaking@ Choice Band
Adamant
-Focus Punch / Aireal Ace / Filler
-Earthquake
-Shadowball

-Return

Sceptile@ Leftovers
Modest/Timid <--- modest recommended.
-Leaf blade
-Leech seed
-Dragon claw
-Thunder punch

Gardevoir@Lum berry
Timid
-Hypnosis
-Thunderbolt
-Psychic
-Calm mind

Swampert@Leftovers
Relaxed
-Curse
-Rest
-Surf
-Earthquake

After evelvo
Shroomish @Leftovers
Adamant
-Spore <--- You need to keep shroomish up to lvl 40 ish, but it's worth it
-Focus Punch
-Leech seed / Swords Dance
-Subtitude / Sludge bomb
Not much changed

Dave30904

Ok, I restarted a new file and eventually got a female Mudkip with a relaxed nature. I'm ready to roll. My team is going to be Mudkip, Ralts, Tailow, Shroomish, Slakoth, and Torkoal. I will use the following natures and move suggestions that you posted above. Some may be modified if a better moveset is suggested. Other than that I should be all set. Thanks alot!

aragornbird

(。◕‿‿◕。)
Use the sets Crypted Wolf posted, not Leith. I mean seriously, Rest and Substitute on Slaking, wtf?

Dave30904

On my Torkoal can I just use these moves: Amnesia, Rest, Toxic, and Flamethrower or do I absolutley need Iron Defence? Torkoal has a base defence of 140 and with it's White Smoke ability it's defences cannot be lowered. I'm assuming the only thing I really have to buff is this pokemons special defence. I can use rest to recover HP from buffing and use toxic to drain my oppenents HP.
I chose flamethrower because its a solid move that I can use more than once with accuracy. Even if Torkoal is slightly lacking in special attack it will still get STAB from Flamethrower and it can take alot of damage if its special defence is buffed. Any comments on my idea?

Last edited: