• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Pokemon Sapphire: In-Game Team Building Suggestions Needed

Dave30904

So I should stick with the offensive Weezing moveset I have now and not worry about breeding Will-O-Wisp?

Can Gardevoir make a decent special wall? If I can use Hypnosis and then use Calm Mind a few times, will that work?

Thanks for helping out as much as you all have. If you could answer these questions above for me I will be one step closer to having a finalized plan for my in-game team.

[Kingdra]

If you want a Special Wall

Top 3 (in no particular order)
- Snorlax
- Regice
- Blissey

And surprisingly Gyarados has a really good SDef...He is only weak to one type of Special...

Dave30904

I want to keep the team I have now I just want to know what I need to do with Weezing in order to make him the most effective for my team. I can keep the offensive Weezing moveset or I can breed a Weezing with Will-O-Wisp. Since I can't get Pain Split on Sapphire I can replace that with Explosion. So if my wall so happens to be too weak to do anything, I can just explode and kill off something. If I really wanted to be fun about it I could allways use revive on him and use Explode again on another pokemon.

[Kingdra]

Well if you can't get all the stuff is you planned set

Weezing@Leftovers or whatever you want...
- Fire Blast
- Sludge Bomb
- Will-O-Wisp
- Explosion
???

aragornbird

(。◕‿‿◕。)
So I should stick with the offensive Weezing moveset I have now and not worry about breeding Will-O-Wisp?
Eh, no. You already have enough offense. Weezing is the only wall on your current team and for most teams, one wall is not enough.

Can Gardevoir make a decent special wall? If I can use Hypnosis and then use Calm Mind a few times, will that work?
You'll need plenty of EVs in HP and Sp. Defense for that to happen, and probably a Calm nature. It's not worth it. Regice, Blissey, and Snorlax does this better. Besides, you can't gamble on Hypnosis's 60% accuracy to win battles.

[Kingdra]

It's an abbreviation <.<....and a joke

Anyhoo He's pretty much done with his team now.Unless he wants to ask other stuff...

Dave30904

What should I do with my Weezing if I have too much offense. You also said that I dont have enough walls in my team so now I wonder if I have to rebuild my team.

aragornbird

(。◕‿‿◕。)
You severely limited yourself when you said you want to have all early Pokemon. I mean, you don't need both Swellow and Slaking on the same team.

Also, you are limiting yourself by playing on Sapphire. I mean, R/S are basically the worst games to make a team on, since its so limited in terms of moves and items and Pokemon, etc.

Dave30904

Well now I'm very discouraged and I feel like I accomplishing nothing. I thought I had a decent team. Anyways this is what I had not like it matters now:

Swellow @Choice Band
Adamant
-Steel wing
-Arial Ace
-Facade
-Quick Attack

Slaking @Choice Band
Adamant
-Focus Punch
-Earthquake
-Shadowball
-Return

Gardevoir @Leftovers or Lum Berry
Modest
-Hypnosis
-Thunderbolt
-Psychic
-Calm mind

Swampert @Leftovers
Relaxed
-Icebeam (Since I can't breed Curse untill later in the game.)
-Rest
-Surf
-Earthquake

Breloom @Leftovers or Lum Berry
Adamant
-Spore (I need to keep Shroomish up to lvl 54 in order to learn Spore.)
-Focus Punch
-Leech Seed
-Mach Punch

Weezing @Leftovers or Lum Berry
Relaxed
-Explosion
-Sludge Bomb
-Flamethrower
-Haze

I was probably going to breed Will-O-Wisp onto Weezing. As for Gardevoir I could allways breed Will-O-Wisp onto her if thats possible.

Last edited:

aragornbird

(。◕‿‿◕。)
Well now im very discouraged and I feel like I accomplishing nothing. I thought I had a decent team.
Don't worry, you had a decent team for what you had to with with, just not a the best possible team considering what Sapphire gives you.

Dave30904

I wish I knew what the best possible team for Sapphire was. Then I could try to build it. It's just when I'm going through the game I dont like to wait the entire game to fully construct a good team of pokemon. Otherwise I just feel like I went through the game just so I could build a team to beat the Elite Four again. Of corse it would be nice to have the best possible team for Sapphire. If I knew what it was I'd probably try to build it.

Last edited:

aragornbird

(。◕‿‿◕。)
A good R/S team usually has Regice as a special wall, Skarmory/Weezing/Donphan as a physical wall, Salamence/Metagross/Flygon/Heracross/Medicham/Slaking as physical sweepers, Milotic/Swampert as bulky waters, and Alakazam/Gardevoir as special sweepers.

Dave30904

Well I can get 3 out of 6 early in the game. I can use Swampert, Slaking, and Gardevoir. So there goes a physical sweeper, a special sweeper, and a bulky water. Any ideas as what I could use to fill the other 3 slots from the list you just gave me? If I were to use the team I planned out recently then I may not be able to get the TMs that I would need to build an advanced team later on considering I already used up the TMs. So I want to get this right the first time without any mistakes. I hope you understand.

Last edited:

ludicolo_kid

^ You left out Sceptile.

Something like this maybe.........

Heracross@ Choice Band
Jolly

Megahorn
Brick Break (Focus Punch sucks ingame)
Rock Slide
Facade

Make sure you have the guts ability and with facade you will sweep anything if you get statused.

Regice@ Leftovers
Bold

Ice Beam
Thunderbolt
Thunder Wave
Rest

Sceptile@ Leftovers
Timid

Leaf Blade
Dragon Claw
Crunch
Leech Seed

Poor guy wants Thunderpunch/Substitute

Milotic@ Leftovers
Bold

Surf
Ice Beam
Hypnosis
Recover

Weezing@ Leftovers
Relaxed

Sludge Bomb
Will-o-Wisp
Fire Blast
Rest

Shame you can't get Pain Split.

Metagross@ Leftovers
Adamant

Agility
Meteor Mash
Earthquake
Sludge Bomb

Dave30904

How could I get Rest on more than one pokemon though? I will only have one Rest TM so that hinders me as well. I like that team you made though it looks nice. Before I seen your post I was doing some research and I thought about trying out Skarmory. They say he is the best defensive wall in the game. I can use Drill Peck, Steel Wing, Whirlwind, and Spikes. The reason why I couldn't use rest on Skarmory was because I already needed it for my Swampert. Swampert, Gardevoir, Slaking, and Skarmory is what I have so far. I may try out your idea though but I wont have any other pokemon early in the game sept Sceptile.