• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Pokemon Scarlet & Pokemon Violet - General Discussion/Speculation Thread

Niormon

Ex-Nintendo employees in a recent interview shedded some light on Game Freak's perception on certain ways to play Pokemon.

We have known that Game Freak has had negative views towards these concepts but we have confirmation now. First off, for Nuzlockes, its been confirmed that Game Freak views these gameplay runs as if someone was playing a ROM Hack. That this is not the way to play Pokemon and do not like the concept of fainting=dying. Secondly, shiny hunting, they believe this to be cheating and abusing the game mechanic.
any links ti said interview? I wanna read them if possible.

eddit its this
also makes me sad to see Joe ratio on this topic maybe he should have said " I don't think their lying but maybe misinformation" from the start?

Last edited:

Pokemon Fan

Knuckle Trainer
Basically, its likely that the person at Nintendo who said they regarded Nuzlockes as hacking was equating them with randomizers (which are a form of hacking) as they are frequently a part of Nuzlockes. Not sure where the idea of them regarding Shiny hunting as being cheating comes from (haven't looked at the whole interview but I don't see how it would even come up), given the games put in mechanics they intend you to use to have a better chance at shinies. Doing it in excess may be a questionable use of time, but its not cheating.

Captain Jigglypuff

*On Vacation. Go Away!*
I paid off my preorder for the dual pack on Thursday. Now I can save my money for Tears of the Kingdom and possibly Return to Dreamland Deluxe. I’m not starting the Zelda preorder until after Christmas.

scififan21

That seems weird to me, who cares how people decide to play a game they bought minus hacking in Pokemon for competive which is actual cheating. Also looks like the forum is getting flooded by spam bots.

Captain Jigglypuff

*On Vacation. Go Away!*
I admit that I used an Action Replay for the DS Pokémon games but it was more for getting Shiny Pokémon to keep for myself, making catching wild Pokémon easier, and to hatch Eggs much faster. I wasn’t going online and offering these Pokémon. I also used it in Platinum to catch certain Trainer Pokémon because I didn’t have two DS systems to trade with myself and I really wanted Gengar and Electavire as the GTS still had people wanting extremely ridiculous requests for their Pokémon such as Lv 1 Articuno for a Turtwig.

scififan21

I admit that I used an Action Replay for the DS Pokémon games but it was more for getting Shiny Pokémon to keep for myself, making catching wild Pokémon easier, and to hatch Eggs much faster. I wasn’t going online and offering these Pokémon. I also used it in Platinum to catch certain Trainer Pokémon because I didn’t have two DS systems to trade with myself and I really wanted Gengar and Electavire as the GTS still had people wanting extremely ridiculous requests for their Pokémon such as Lv 1 Articuno for a Turtwig.
I used it to get event Pokemon I missed, but I never traded or used them against other people. I agree though some of those trade requests were ridiculous. This is how I got some stuff for a living dex back in BW days. My opinion it depends on how you use it like trading stuff you hacked in isn't good, because people get hit with Bad Eggs on Home with that stuff. I have one, but I didn't cheat code that one, think it was a shiny Minior.

Orphalesion

Basically, its likely that the person at Nintendo who said they regarded Nuzlockes as hacking was equating them with randomizers (which are a form of hacking) as they are frequently a part of Nuzlockes. Not sure where the idea of them regarding Shiny hunting as being cheating comes from (haven't looked at the whole interview but I don't see how it would even come up), given the games put in mechanics they intend you to use to have a better chance at shinies. Doing it in excess may be a questionable use of time, but its not cheating.

Yeah, it's possible that several of GF employees have no or only a very vague idea of what a Nuzlocke challenge is. So maybe, possibly, that person thought it was playing with randomizers.
As to shiny hunting.... I think if they absolutely didn't want people shiny hunting, then they wouldn't have implemented things like the Masuda Method. Again, it's possible that, for example, somebody at GF feels Shinies should be a unexpected, nice surprise rather than something you actively look for (for example) but well, I doubt it's the opinion of all of them, otherwise it would have been easy enough to nerve those mechanics a long time ago.

Luthor

Of course it is. Seviper was already confirmed. Why would Zangoose not be?

That would be like confirming Sawk and not Throh, or Electabuzz and not Magmar.

Its a Pokemon I would have assumed was likely but the question was asked and it had been officially confirmed by the trailer. As such I answered the question as it had been seen in the trailer.

Captain Jigglypuff

*On Vacation. Go Away!*
Well... SWSH did have Skuntank but no Purugly
And in XY, Skuntank was by itself. Scyther and Pinsir are also unique in that each have been in regional Dexes without the other. Scyther was found in the Pt Dex and Hisui by itself while Pinsir has been in RSE/ORAS and BW2 by itself with Heracross being its new counterpart for both in each of those games.

PrinceOfFacade

Ghost-Type Master
Well... SWSH did have Skuntank but no Purugly
And in XY, Skuntank was by itself. Scyther and Pinsir are also unique in that each have been in regional Dexes without the other. Scyther was found in the Pt Dex and Hisui by itself while Pinsir has been in RSE/ORAS and BW2 by itself with Heracross being its new counterpart for both in each of those games.

I wouldn't consider Skuntank and Purugly in-game counterparts, just corresponding version exclusives. I definitely don't consider Pinsir and Heracross being any real form of counterparts.

Seviper and Zangoose are linked by a canon in-game rivalry, and thus it would be bizarre to include one and not the other. Magmar and Electabuzz, along with their evolutionary forms, have always been paired in games. Even the items used to obtain Magmortar and Electivire are similar, virtually the same item. These pokemon are connected.

If you see one, expect to see the other.

scififan21

Thinking next week since we are getting pretty close to November only a month and a half away if I'm doing my cruddy math right.

janejane6178

Kaleido Star FOREVER in my heart <3
Why I loved the DLC's in Swsh, I felt that the base game was very lacking and minimal.
When playing Swsh for the first time, I had to stop my self from playing so I dont advance too much. and the game will end too soon.
So I dont want SV to have this fate too..