• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Pokemon Scarlet & Pokemon Violet - General Discussion/Speculation Thread

janejane6178

Kaleido Star FOREVER in my heart <3
Nintendo Life info-

All trainer battles are optional. You have the choice to say yes or no to a battle.

They said they were using a older version, but he confirmed that the Sunflora were very sluggishly animated in his version. Seems animations in the wild are fine, but for towns that aren't seperated by a loading screen (only 2 cities do so), it chugs a lot. Except when going into a building or gym.

Switching Pokemon can sometimes take longer than usual, belief is that the game is loading in the Pokemon model

Textures can blur in the overworld if too much going on

Frame rate is at 30, some areas and features can chug a lot. Some Pokemon actions like Let's Go have the Pokemon just popping into the scene and popping out out of sync with the Pokeball animation.

Terastilzation animation is like 15 seconds long.

He isn't sure if there's a version which has fixed this out there or if it'll be patched on day 1.
Wait I mean there were lags? What is chigs
Joe got to play the game, video on the main page.

2 facts I liked:

Shinies appear in the overworld
No shields to break in Tera Raids.
Very disappointed with the battle music

Copley Hill Gym

Just to pass on my thanks to Joe for his video. I am really liking how positive he's sounding about it, particularly the battling.

The moves QoL upgrade from Arceus has made it through which is BRILLIANT. So happy to hear that.

I'm still not sold on the lack of the capturing feature. I reckon Gen 10 will get this right.

So, more hyped for the game, but realistically it might not reach the Arceus height in certain areas. The map looks great though.

Pudimon

Certified Pudding Monster
Nintendo Life info-

All trainer battles are optional. You have the choice to say yes or no to a battle.

They said they were using a older version, but he confirmed that the Sunflora were very sluggishly animated in his version. Seems animations in the wild are fine, but for towns that aren't seperated by a loading screen (only 2 cities do so), it chugs a lot. Except when going into a building or gym.

Switching Pokemon can sometimes take longer than usual, belief is that the game is loading in the Pokemon model

Textures can blur in the overworld if too much going on

Frame rate is at 30, some areas and features can chug a lot. Some Pokemon actions like Let's Go have the Pokemon just popping into the scene and popping out out of sync with the Pokeball animation.

Terastilzation animation is like 15 seconds long.

He isn't sure if there's a version which has fixed this out there or if it'll be patched on day 1.
I'm prepared for some framerate drops but I hope it's not TOO annoying. Technical problems are to be expected, unfortunately, since they seem to not have either the time or the expertise to deal with them.

That aside, the let's go feature seems to be fun! Really hope I get to enjoy it.

Smeargle-Sketch

Sketcher of Smeargles
Apparently reviewers say open world is full of life with lots of Pokemon and item encounters.

Titan Battles seem to be done in stages of 3, Klawf runs away from the player 2 times.

EDIT: Full character customization available at start. Except clothes I believe.

SoraFan23

Generation 4 was how I got into Pokémon
I seen preview footage of Scarlet and Violet. It looks pretty good. I know some people are still a bit disgruntled about it not being as impressive as Legends Arceus but you know what I am more curious with these games. The thing I learned about the Pokemon Community is that no matter what Game Freak or Nintendo does with the Pokemon Franchise people will always complain about every change they make. Its been like this since Generation 5.

Me personally I don't really bother what the community says. I am just here to play games and have fun, not take them so seriously.

Smeargle-Sketch

Sketcher of Smeargles
- Sandwich buffs include +shiny rate
- Need to find materials first to know what's needed for TM crafting
- Auto-Battle exp significantly lower than normal battles
- Team Star's Starmobile fought separately, has Speed Boost

Also

Healing Pokemon Interface.

Do prefer 3D models over BDSP 2D Models.
FfmQfeDWIAA4myE

Last edited:

amoebo

amoeboVGC
No mandatory trainer battles with no mandatory wild pokemon battles is just wholly bad in an open world game. Pokemon has fully commited to removing any semblance of difficulty, challenge, world, and character from their games.

amoebo

amoeboVGC
Although it is great for players with Pokemon at low health who are rushing back to a Pokemon Center.
There is a PC in the bag, you can craft items for health, it is already an open world game, and most importantly: that's part of a risk/reward cycle.

amoebo

amoeboVGC
There is a PC in the bag, you can craft items for health, it is already an open world game, and most importantly: that's part of a risk/reward cycle.
Actually I think it's even worse because this is one of those changes where it's really hard to see how it impacts other parts of the game without further thought. What is the point of potions or status healing items when you are no longer required to either battle wild pokemon or trainers? It also destroys the utility of moves like Fly, Teleport, Dig among others. It's a horrible, horrible idea.

janejane6178

Kaleido Star FOREVER in my heart <3
No mandatory trainer battles with no mandatory wild pokemon battles is just wholly bad in an open world game. Pokemon has fully commited to removing any semblance of difficulty, challenge, world, and character from their games.
The battle music is so bad that I wouldn’t want to trigger battle encounters

Smeargle-Sketch

Sketcher of Smeargles
No mandatory trainer battles with no mandatory wild pokemon battles is just wholly bad in an open world game. Pokemon has fully commited to removing any
Actually I think it's even worse because this is one of those changes where it's really hard to see how it impacts other parts of the game without further thought. What is the point of potions or status healing items when you are no longer required to either battle wild pokemon or trainers? It also destroys the utility of moves like Fly, Teleport, Dig among others. It's a horrible, horrible idea.

semblance of difficulty, challenge, world, and character from their games.
1. Its about choice, you can still challenge all the trainers to earn exp and level up faster. There are wild Pokemon that will chase you to initiate battle.
2.Potions and status healing items are still needed when you BATTLE trainers and wild Pokemon. This feature is for people who don't like endless trainer battles, you still will need this items and facing battles that you are unprepared for.
3. These moves are still used for escaping battles you aren't prepared for as well as for travelling still.

Literally just say yes to every trainer.

Akashin

I disagree, personally. These games are built around the concept of going where you want and forging your own story; battling is only one part of that experience, so having your open world exploration be roadblocked by mandatory trainer battles that may not be the component of the game you’re trying to enjoy really doesn’t make sense.

amoebo

amoeboVGC
I disagree, personally. These games are built around the concept of going where you want and forging your own story; battling is only one part of that experience, so having your open world exploration be roadblocked by mandatory trainer battles that may not be the component of the game you’re trying to enjoy really doesn’t make sense.
You say battling isn't the core part of the pokemon game yet each story revolves around combat, types only matter in combat, and the only system that doesn't change or rotate out is the combat. There's no point in having a system with experience and level-based evolution if battling is only side dressing.

Akashin

You say battling isn't the core part of the pokemon game yet each story revolves around combat, types only matter in combat, and the only system that doesn't change or rotate out is the combat. There's no point in having a system with experience and level-based evolution if battling is only side dressing.
That is not what I said. I said that for these games in particular, with the three-pronged story approach they’re taking, battling is only one part of the experience; this isn’t an opinion, it is the officially stated point of these games.

Notice how the Wild Area didn’t have mandatory trainer battles (and in fact only had one trainer, who you had to manually talk to in order to battle)? Same idea here.

LordSerperior

How exactly? You can still talk to all trainers and battle them all when you first see them. It just gives you the choice to do things at your own pace. Sometimes I want to do something else in an area first and not be dragged in an unnecessary battle. You will have to battle to level up your pokemon eventually.

Orphalesion

I think it's a nice change that you can decide whether to have trainer battles or not (as long as you can still challenge them later after declining initially)
It was always kinda weird that your character had no say whether they want to battle someone, especially in a situation where you were stuck on a route with half your team knocked out and only your, for example, Metapod and Kakuna still having any HP. It just made everybody seem like a dick.
It makes the whole thing more realistic as well.

CiciStormy

Living Rotomdex
Well, this is an option that is going to make a lot of speedrunners who will be tackling the game, like Keizaron, VERY happy. It'll also make Nuzlockers happy as they had to constantly siphon trainer XP to trash Pokemon, but now you don't have to fight any optional trainers! ^_^

Smeargle-Sketch

Sketcher of Smeargles
Its been confirmed by reviewers that they were given a Developement Build to play the games with.

This is the same build used in the last main trailer.

Most framerate issues should be fixed within the current model and by day 1 patch as well.

Though some state that there will most likely still be some lag issues like most Pokemon games.

UPDATE:

Alongside Normal & Terastal Encounters there's a third special kind of wild Pokémon. These are across the entire region but can only be found after reaching hidden areas or new habitat. Treat them more like Static Encounters!

Multiplayer truly has no real limit! You can see all the other Trainers you are playing with pretty much everywhere without random restrictions problems. The only thing worth noting Is that you can't help them during their own Battles.

During TeraRaid Battles you can Terastalyze your Pokemon only if he survives for 3 turns against the Boss so it's not a rotation based choice like It was for Dynamax in Dens. For the most difficult Tera Raids of higher Star Levels seems more powerful a defensive play

Battles have various camera angles you can choose from, such as an over the shoulder angle for Pokemon.

Last edited:

UltimateNinja

Praying for the holy relics
Optional Pokemon battles is a good thing as long as it still remains the most valuable way to gain exp points and the games having a higher level curve so you have to do them to not be underleveled. Significant less experience for auto battles at least helps making trainer battles worth the time and effort.