• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Pokemon Scarlet & Pokemon Violet - General Discussion/Speculation Thread

Tsukuyomi56

Sky High Knight
I’m hoping there isn’t an excessive amount of new Water Pokémon. I do like the type but there are far too many of them and it is the most common type. I’d like to see Bug and Ice Pokémon get a bit more love this time around. Especially Bug which doesn’t get very many new reps each Gen.
Though ignoring the starters Wiglett is the only new Water-type revealed so far....which is not exactly my cup of tea. Ignoring the leaks there does not seem a lot to look forward to in the Water-type department if you have you hearts set on the other two starters (for players adamant about only using new Pokemon).

Smeargle-Sketch

Sketcher of Smeargles
Overview trailer came out today, along with two other ones.

Its looking really good, the game is quite polished.

Sure, its not the most hi-def texturing and lighting going on, but holy **** I commend GF for actually doing real textures for the Pokemon and character models. Even the characters being so much more detailed has paid off in my eyes.

GF may get flak for taking small steps, but its great to see the visual direction they are going.

Will be really interesting if they build off of this for gen 10.

Last edited:

Copley Hill Gym

Its looking really good, the game is quite polished.

Sure, its not the most hi-def texturing and lighting going on, but holy **** I commend GF for actually doing real textures for the Pokemon and character models. Even the characters being so much more detailed has paid off in my eyes.

GF may get flak for taking small steps, but its great to see the visual direction they are going.

Will be really interesting if they build off of this for gen 10.

I think when you compare it to some other games which likely had larger budgets and larger staff working on it, the graphics can come across as quite simple, but simple =/= bad, in my opinion. I want to see how it runs on the Switch for myself but it looks like a step up from the Isle of Amor and Crown Tundra and that's no bad thing, they were excellent in my view.

I really do think we've been in a loooooong transition with Pokémon. When you look at how each generation has been a reinvention of the same basic premise with changes to hardware and engine design along the way, it's not hard to see how it has taken us nearly 30 thirty years to get to this generation and an open world game. Game Freak haven't been interested in completely redeveloping the formula, they've been more interested in the reimagining of the original story by way of each new region. We've only really had sequels twice - G/S and BW2 - I don't count USUM2 - that was probably the low point of the series' development in my opinion.

Along the way gimmicks have come and gone, the regions (bar Kanto) largely fade into obscurity, each new generation has added new monsters and tried to tell the same overall story with different motifs and a different case of characters. There's no shame in that so long as they keep going forward and try to make it a new story experience each time.

I will say this though. I think Gen 8 and 9's biggest success is showing Pokémon as a game series is thinking bigger and bigger. If Paldea ends up feeling like an epic adventure, the next step I can see is another run of the Kanto storyline, this time using this engine and design. What I would like is something that takes the best bits of PLA's catching mechanics and combining it with S/V's battling mind.

Overall, we have a lot to be excited about and for the first time since the trailer dropped to announce the new generation, I am feeling properly excited for the games again.

16 days left people! :D

Captain Jigglypuff

Leader of Jigglypuff Army
I never understood why some people are so critical of how a game’s graphics look during the first reveal trailer and keep insisting that they will look that way in the finished product when it is clearly an early build and the game is still being worked on. I remember some people actively telling everyone not to buy SwSh just because the reveal trailer had graphics that weren’t amazing and how they refused to play a game with such graphics even though there was a note in the trailer that said this wasn’t the final product.

ShinyPie

Fruity & Delicious
I never understood why some people are so critical of how a game’s graphics look during the first reveal trailer and keep insisting that they will look that way in the finished product when it is clearly an early build and the game is still being worked on. I remember some people actively telling everyone not to buy SwSh just because the reveal trailer had graphics that weren’t amazing and how they refused to play a game with such graphics even though there was a note in the trailer that said this wasn’t the final product.
In fairness to those critics, the textures/environments (think trees, water, ground/earth etc) were pretty atrocious in the first trailers. And they didn't get that much better once it was released. I think we just got used to it though, and didn't notice it as much. Which I think is the trick to accepting it. You just need to expect that Pokemon games will never be graphically amazing. And if you go in expecting that, often you'll be pleasantly surprised.

One thing I hope they improve on is the Pokemon popping up out of nowhere right near you. They seemed to fix that in Legends Arceus to an extent, as you could see most Pokemon a mile away. But in SwSh... it was pretty bad. Walking along and a Steelix suddenly appears 5m from you..... very hard to immerse yourself in the game when that happens.

Also better weather effects would be nice. I've never liked how when it's raining or snowing in SwSh, there is never any water or snow accumulating on the ground. It just disappears....

Yveltal91057

It’s Kalos season!
I think when you compare it to some other games which likely had larger budgets and larger staff working on it, the graphics can come across as quite simple, but simple =/= bad, in my opinion. I want to see how it runs on the Switch for myself but it looks like a step up from the Isle of Amor and Crown Tundra and that's no bad thing, they were excellent in my view.

I really do think we've been in a loooooong transition with Pokémon. When you look at how each generation has been a reinvention of the same basic premise with changes to hardware and engine design along the way, it's not hard to see how it has taken us nearly 30 thirty years to get to this generation and an open world game. Game Freak haven't been interested in completely redeveloping the formula, they've been more interested in the reimagining of the original story by way of each new region. We've only really had sequels twice - G/S and BW2.

Along the way, gimmicks have come and gone, the regions largely fade into obscurity, each new generation has added new monsters and tried to tell the same overall story with different motifs and a different case of characters. There's no shame in that so long as they keep going forward and try to make it a new story experience each time.

I will say this though. I think Gen 8 and 9's biggest success is showing Pokémon as a game series is thinking bigger and bigger. If Paldea ends up feeling like an epic adventure, the next step I can see is another run of either the Johto or Hoenn storyline, this time using this engine and design. What I would like is something that takes the battles and catching mechanics in PLA, the exploration and raid battles from SW/SH/PLA/S/V and combine them into a completely new game.
Overall, we have a lot to be excited about and for the first time since the trailer dropped to announce the new generation, I am feeling properly excited for the games again.

16 days left people! :D

Maedhros

No, I believe in the video they showed, they showed the player scrolling through the options and the character was wearing each cut as they scrolled.
Which is how it works in Sword and Shield. However you still have to pay a fee BEFORE you even get to see the hair options. I'm wondering if this is still going to be the case.

Mr.Munchlax

Great Ball Rank Trainer
the next step I can see is another run of the Kanto storyline, this time using this engine and design. What I would like is something that takes the best bits of PLA's catching mechanics and combining it with S/V's battling mind.
That actually sounds like something I both want & don't want at the same time. While I'm burned out with Kanto at this point between Let's Go and Game Freak's relying on its nostalgia, I'd definitely play the original storyline again if it's like this. It actually makes sense too since Kanto felt like an open world game between the third & seventh gyms.

Smeargle-Sketch

Sketcher of Smeargles
That actually sounds like something I both want & don't want at the same time. While I'm burned out with Kanto at this point between Let's Go and Game Freak's relying on its nostalgia, I'd definitely play the original storyline again if it's like this. It actually makes sense too since Kanto felt like an open world game between the third & seventh gyms.
What they could do is just a return to Japan with a new region based off of a different part of Japan.

Copley Hill Gym

Not going to lie, I think Kanto burn out is a very real thing and I felt jaded by LGPE to a great degree. Fun revisiting elements of it, but I felt the rewriting of the original storyline was totally off. If they do Kanto again, it has to be open world, and we need a sarcastic, "smell ya later" Gary/Blue the rival. I don't buy that we need everything to be happy happy in Pokemon, it has had natural conflict throughout the games and frankly Gary's/Blue's storyline and redemption arc in Gold/Silver was just a great example of storytelling.

I never - not once - did the Kanto gyms in the intended order in the original games and I always ended up doing them in the "wrong" order. I liked seeing where the boundaries of the game was and it felt like you had real choice in where to go.

Captain Jigglypuff

Leader of Jigglypuff Army
What they could do is just a return to Japan with a new region based off of a different part of Japan.
Or even Taiwan which has a lot of Japanese influences. Pokémon merchandise is extremely easy to find over there with arcade machines filled with plushies you could win. I managed to get a Ditto that can hang from a window with a suction cup the last time I was over there. There is this one beach that is famous for rock formations that were created by the ocean’s wave which would be perfect for a Pokémon landmark.

Akashin

I wouldn’t say no to a new region spanning Kansai and Chugoku (Shikoku as a potential post-game area?). I’d love to see a Pokémon take on Kyoto, especially if they took a sort of pre-modern approach to it.

Or even Taiwan which has a lot of Japanese influences. Pokémon merchandise is extremely easy to find over there with arcade machines filled with plushies you could win. I managed to get a Ditto that can hang from a window with a suction cup the last time I was over there. There is this one beach that is famous for rock formations that were created by the ocean’s wave which would be perfect for a Pokémon landmark.
Given that Pokémon has tried to get a stronger foothold in China since Gen VII(translating the SM core games and beyond into traditional and simplified Chinese, localizing the TCG since SM, and working with Tencent on Unite) I find it extremely unlikely that we will see a Taiwan-based region any time soon.