• Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Pokemon Scarlet & Pokemon Violet - General Discussion/Speculation Thread

Julia Artemis

There's no way they would basically give the same name to these Donphans as the box legendaries. I mean c'mon. And yeah they are designed to reference the legendary Pokemon sure but they will have different names like maybe Antiguodon and Futurodon but also most likely not. Seriously I will be mad if Koraidonphan and Miraidonphan are the names. Peak lazy

falconlord

Definitely not.

Personally, I'm about 50/50 on whether or not Great Tusk/Iron Treads are their actual names. On the one hand, it seems like we're investigating these guys, right? Filling up the Scarlet and Violet books. So we fill those out, we could find out their real names. Also, Great Tusk and Iron Treads are named more like Abilities than Pokémon

On the other hand, it would not be the weirdest Pokémon names ever.

Copley Hill Gym

I think Koraidonphan and Miraidonphan are quite clever, tying into the box legendaries...and that might actually be the theme. Think about it: a new naming convention where the prefix to the Pokemon's actual name indicates if it is future or past. You could reasonably get:

Koraidon
Koraidonphan
Koraibuff
Koraimence
Korainana

Miraidon
Miraidonphan
Miraiynitar
Miraiyama

The only issue with this, we know this probably isn't true because if it was, you'd think Cyclizar would have "don" at the end of its name, or the box legendaries would have "lizar" at the end of these.

I could totally see the Korai and Mirai prefixes being used though.

Copley Hill Gym

Definitely not.

Personally, I'm about 50/50 on whether or not Great Tusk/Iron Treads are their actual names. On the one hand, it seems like we're investigating these guys, right? Filling up the Scarlet and Violet books. So we fill those out, we could find out their real names. Also, Great Tusk and Iron Treads are named more like Abilities than Pokémon

On the other hand, it would not be the weirdest Pokémon names ever.

They are definitely not their actual names. It's like the pokedex entry for Lugia - "Guardian of the seas" - it's a moniker, nickname, etc: part of the mythos around the creature. Its actual name hasn't been revealed yet.

Xanhawk

I think Koraidonphan and Miraidonphan are quite clever, tying into the box legendaries...and that might actually be the theme. Think about it: a new naming convention where the prefix to the Pokemon's actual name indicates if it is future or past. You could reasonably get:

Koraidon
Koraidonphan
Koraibuff
Koraimence
Korainana

Miraidon
Miraidonphan
Miraiynitar
Miraiyama

The only issue with this, we know this probably isn't true because if it was, you'd think Cyclizar would have "don" at the end of its name, or the box legendaries would have "lizar" at the end of these.

I could totally see the Korai and Mirai prefixes being used though.
-lizar and -don

Lizardon.

Charizard confirmed.

Joking aside, if we are still taking Khu at gospel, the paradox pokemon’s name have nothing of the original’s names associated with it.

So even if Korai and Mirai are a theme with the names, -phan, -puff, -mence, etc wouldn’t be part of their names.

ShinyPie

Fruity & Delicious
I’m praying the iron treads and great tusk names are temporary and like the original UB code names we got before release:
  • Nihilego (codenamed UB-01 Symbiont)
  • Buzzwole (codenamed UB-02 Absorption)
  • Pheromosa (codenamed UB-02 Beauty)
  • Xurkitree (codenamed UB-03 Lighting)
  • Celesteela (codenamed UB-04 Blaster)
  • Kartana (codenamed UB-04 Blade)
  • Guzzlord (codenamed UB-05 Glutton)

Pokemon Power

I’m praying the iron treads and great tusk names are temporary and like the original UB code names we got before release:
  • Nihilego (codenamed UB-01 Symbiont)
  • Buzzwole (codenamed UB-02 Absorption)
  • Pheromosa (codenamed UB-02 Beauty)
  • Xurkitree (codenamed UB-03 Lighting)
  • Celesteela (codenamed UB-04 Blaster)
  • Kartana (codenamed UB-04 Blade)
  • Guzzlord (codenamed UB-05 Glutton)
Yeah, I'm pretty sure they're just nicknames.

Xanhawk

According to Pearlenthusiast, they're the official names.

(This is the person whom, with Khu, gave us the compiled list of returning Pokemon.)

Last edited:

Totodi1e

The silent boy of mystery!
Tiny detail I loved: clothing brands are back. That's from DENSOKU.

FhDe3hLWYAY8Ofr

Totodi1e

The silent boy of mystery!
Would this be the first time a Pokémon since Ho-oh has had more than one word in its official name? (Ho-oh technically two words, hyphenated).
Type: Null, Tapu Koko, Tapu Lele, Tapu Bulu, Tapu Lele, Mime Jr., Mr. Rime...

Xanhawk

I checked the JP site, and Future Donphan is 「鉄の轍」(iron track) while past Donphan is 「偉大な牙」(great fang).

There are others citing Khu saying all the Future Pokemon have Iron in their name. I can't be assed to look through their twitter to find where they would have said that tho. I'm taking it as is.

Mr.Munchlax

Great Ball Rank Trainer
If anything, I’m glad that the Charizard event confirms that marks are back. They were one of my favorite features from SWSH since they made my pokémon feel unique whenever they came out of their pokéballs & I kind of liked collecting them more than I liked collecting shinies

Also, I personally don’t care if “Great Tusks” & “Iron Treads” are the Donphans’ actual names since that’s what nicknames are for. If I catch them I may just nickname them a proper pokémon name like “Pummelphant” & “Motoderm”

Last edited:

Ignition

World's biggest Incineroar stan
New Donphan are cool but I’m more into the PLA & BDSP Rotom Phone Cases. They look sick.