• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Pokemon Scarlet & Pokemon Violet - General Discussion/Speculation Thread

vondecayle

Long gone are the days
I think that for sure Scarlet/Violet will surpass Sword/Shield on sales, but will any pokemon game dethrone Red and Blue?

Beloberto

Bug Catcher
Scarlet and Violet have hit a total of over 20 million sold. In just essentially 2.5 months.
Those are the consolidated numbers up to December 31st, so only 1.5 month since the release. It doesn't include 2023.

PsychoLogical

Black and White, Yin and Yang, Light and Dark.
I think that for sure Scarlet/Violet will surpass Sword/Shield on sales, but will any pokemon game dethrone Red and Blue?
I mean, if the momentum keeps up and the inevitable DLC becomes a success, then Scarlet and Violet can easily do it within a few months.

Baggie_Saiyan

Is anyone else worried about future price hike given the recent Zelda shenanigans?

These games aren't worth full price but obviously with higher RRP means store discounts will be lower...

Strong sales for SV might sway them too /:

Is anyone else worried about future price hike given the recent Zelda shenanigans?

These games aren't worth full price but obviously with higher RRP means store discounts will be lower...

I think it is pretty much inevitable that future Pokémon games will follow the same RRP as other AAA Nintendo titles. I don't see any reason why they wouldn't.

PsychoLogical

I think the reason may be due to TOTK using a 32 GB cartridge as TOTK is 18.2 GB (For comparison, BOTW was around 14.4) instead of the usual 16 GB. And Nintendo did comment that its not supposed to be a trend.

Pikmin 4 was only 59.99$ USD as it normally would be for switch games, and it was basically the only other major title revealed. Unless you count Metroid which was only 40$ USD.

bruhidk

LARRY SUPREMACY
Or they can pull an Atlus and make a collection of the DS games and make them $80!

Baggie_Saiyan

I think it is pretty much inevitable that future Pokémon games will follow the same RRP as other AAA Nintendo titles. I don't see any reason why they wouldn't.
Only thing I think that might protect Pokemon is the target audience. In the UK Pokemon is 7+ while Zelda is 12+

Parents will be less likely to buy the Pokemon games when they cost a ridiculous amount.

Captain Jigglypuff

*On Vacation. Go Away!*
I think the reason may be due to TOTK using a 32 GB cartridge as TOTK is 18.2 GB (For comparison, BOTW was around 14.4) instead of the usual 16 GB. And Nintendo did comment that its not supposed to be a trend.

Pikmin 4 was only 59.99$ USD as it normally would be for switch games, and it was basically the only other major title revealed. Unless you count Metroid which was only 40$ USD.
A few of the bigger games are more expensive when purchased digitally. Skyrim is a good example of this. When it was on sale, the cheapest version was $19.99 and the one with all the digital content and DLC was $34.99. Both were at least 40% off but that is still a lot to pay for one game.

Ophie

Salingerian Phony

For the record, US$69.99 today would have been US$41.66 in 1996 when adjusted for inflation. So technically, the price of video games have been going down (not counting paid DLC and such). That is, when adjusted for inflation, the price of Tears of the Kingdom is less than the price of Ocarina of Time.

Bear in mind that if you get the full roster for Super Smash Bros. Ultimate you'll be down US$120.

Autobot N

My guess is it'll probably be the big franchises like Mario, Pokemon, and Zelda that get the price hike since people will still buy those anyway

PsychoLogical

My guess is it'll probably be the big franchises like Mario, Pokemon, and Zelda that get the price hike since people will still buy those anyway
eh, I think it'll only be that way if the game produced is much bigger than it normally would.

Mobilisq

Does anyone know what the algorithm for breeding shinies is for this generation? I know the seed was fixed in us/um so you could reset when you find your shiny egg and swap out to another creature or head to a different location and still get a shiny from the same egg, is it completely random in this one?

Would I be better off just resetting with the same five eggs, or is it fixed in this gen as well?

Mr.Munchlax

Great Ball Rank Trainer
For the record, US$69.99 today would have been US$41.66 in 1996 when adjusted for inflation. So technically, the price of video games have been going down (not counting paid DLC and such). That is, when adjusted for inflation, the price of Tears of the Kingdom is less than the price of Ocarina of Time.

Bear in mind that if you get the full roster for Super Smash Bros. Ultimate you'll be down US$120.
I'm not sure. I know that some game developers think pricing a game for $70 is basically wage theft & the developers don't really get anything from it.

Autobot N

Question: did all of the Mythical Pokemon with data in SWSH before HOME have event distributions during SWSH's lifetime? Trying to figure out if that means Meloetta may get one since it's transfer only in SV right now.

Also, is it just me, or does it seem like Wi-Fi events are way less common these days?

Auraninja

Eh, ragazzo!
I'm not sure. I know that some game developers think pricing a game for $70 is basically wage theft & the developers don't really get anything from it.
I think it’s more to do with the data size cart of TotK. If not that directly, then it probably has to do with the scope of the game, justifying the price.

Also, there is a conversation to be had with how much developers are being paid to work, but we have so little information to go off on.

Tsukuyomi56

Emblian Royalty
Question: did all of the Mythical Pokemon with data in SWSH before HOME have event distributions during SWSH's lifetime? Trying to figure out if that means Meloetta may get one since it's transfer only in SV right now.

Also, is it just me, or does it seem like Wi-Fi events are way less common these days?
Diancie and Mew did not have any events dedicated to them in the Gen 8 period. Mew did become permanently available in BDSP if you have save data for any of the Let's Go games.

Reinhardt

You! Me! Rivals! Yes?

There's a few ways they could give us Meloetta and other Mythical Pokemon that are on the files:
1- An event distribution like Zarude, Victini and others had during the Sword and Shield era.
2- Have it available as an encounter after you've done a side quest, like Keldeo in the Crown Tundra or Phione and Manaphy in Legends: Arceus.
3- Do something similar to Mew and Jirachi in BD/SP or Shaymin and Darkrai in Legends: Arceus, where they're made available to anyone who has save data for the older Switch games.

Personally, I'm hoping for the second option for at least a couple of Mythicals, that would definitely be the easiest.

Baggie_Saiyan

TOTK still feels so empty and cut and paste. I honestly don't think GF get enough credit for these games. Yes performance issues can't be ignored but we literally have an open field with hundreds of unique models.

SV also looks totally different to SwSh whereas TOTK literally looks the exact same as BOTW and now more expensive and yet people are still lapping it up but apparently Pokemon games have "no effort" put into them like I literally saw one person get excited cuz enemies look a bit different lmao I mean is the standard for Zelda that low?

(Not talking about anyone specific here btw just comments I've seen online)