• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Pokemon Scarlet & Pokemon Violet - General Discussion/Speculation Thread

Bolt the Cat

Bringing the Thunder
I hope customization will be available very quickly because the female design is fugly fugly fugly.
If its not the case I will have to choose the boy

Yeah, I'm not big on either of them. They look so androgynous. That's partly because of the school uniform design, but not entirely. The realistic facial design just makes them seem too similar to each other and off putting. I always choose the boy because I'm male, but it doesn't feel like it matters much without customization because they both look so similar to each other. I'm also hoping to change out of that school uniform as quickly as possible. I hate school uniforms, they're bad enough IRL, I don't need them in my video games too.

janejane6178

Kaleido Star FOREVER in my heart <3
Yeah, I'm not big on either of them. They look so androgynous. That's partly because of the school uniform design, but not entirely. The realistic facial design just makes them seem too similar to each other and off putting. I always choose the boy because I'm male, but it doesn't feel like it matters much without customization because they both look so similar to each other. I'm also hoping to change out of that school uniform as quickly as possible. I hate school uniforms, they're bad enough IRL, I don't need them in my video games too.
Couldnt they make a uniform for a girl ? They just gave the boy's one. 0% effort of them

Ultra Beast Lover

For the protagonists I'm just hoping for a lot of expressiveness. The characters in Legends almost constantly changed their expressions, heck if you stand the player near certain NPCs they react differently, for instance they smile around children, blink a lot around security corp members etc.,

I'd also like hair streaks though I've slowly lost hope in that.

Bolt the Cat

Bringing the Thunder
Couldnt they make a uniform for a girl ? They just gave the boy's one. 0% effort of them

That's sort of my question too. If this were a Western developer I'd say they might be doing it for feminist reasons, to try and portray them as "equals", but Japan isn't as feminist as Western countries so I don't think that's the reason. I don't really know Spain too well, but I don't really think Spain does this either (if someone else knows Spanish culture better, especially Spanish student culture better, correct me if I'm wrong). So IDK what it is.

Captain Jigglypuff

*On Vacation. Go Away!*
That's sort of my question too. If this were a Western developer I'd say they might be doing it for feminist reasons, to try and portray them as "equals", but Japan isn't as feminist as Western countries so I don't think that's the reason. I don't really know Spain too well, but I don't really think Spain does this either (if someone else knows Spanish culture better, especially Spanish student culture better, correct me if I'm wrong). So IDK what it is.
I don’t think students wear school uniforms unless it is a private school. I know that when I visited my uncle and his family in Spain, my cousin’s son wore typical kids clothes meaning a tee shirt and a pair of jeans. Public schools don’t have dress codes unless a parental committee for the school wants a uniform.

Bolt the Cat

Bringing the Thunder
I don’t think students wear school uniforms unless it is a private school. I know that when I visited my uncle and his family in Spain, my cousin’s son wore typical kids clothes meaning a tee shirt and a pair of jeans. Public schools don’t have dress codes unless a parental committee for the school wants a uniform.

I think that's typical worldwide, it's the private school uniforms that I'm most curious about.

Divine Retribution

Conquistador de pan
There's almost no chance these games don't have trainer customization, given the fact that all recent games have had it (even BDSP, which would have had an excuse not to in the fact that the original DPPt didn't). I'm no fan of the default appearances either, but honestly I struggle to think of a recent player character design that I do like. The default female player character from Gen 7 is okay, at least she stands out a little bit, but the rest are so bland and generic you could swap any of them and I probably wouldn't notice until halfway through the story, especially the male designs.

Orphalesion

There's almost no chance these games don't have trainer customization, given the fact that all recent games have had it (even BDSP, which would have had an excuse not to in the fact that the original DPPt didn't). I'm no fan of the default appearances either, but honestly I struggle to think of a recent player character design that I do like. The default female player character from Gen 7 is okay, at least she stands out a little bit, but the rest are so bland and generic you could swap any of them and I probably wouldn't notice until halfway through the story, especially the male designs.

Honestly, I very seldom liked any of the Protag designs in Pokemon, even before customization, Gen 5 and 6 were the only decent default designs (in my opinion), but in general customization was a godsend for this series. And yeah it's not going anywhere.

Really the bigger problem with this newest pair, for me, is how young they look.

Last edited:

Divine Retribution

Conquistador de pan
Really the bigger problem with this newest pair, for me, is how young they look.

I think that might be partially rectifiable with different outfits and hairstyles. I had the same initial opinion of the Sw/Sh characters, but was able to find a look I liked that looked a little older than the default look.

Of course, it might also be partially because of the new Disney Pixar-looking artstyle, and I guess that's a harder issue to compensate for.

Ultra Beast Lover

It is a little exciting to think that the opposite player character might appear, especially for the anime. The working theory for the anime has been that when both the male and female player character have a role in the story, the female player character will have a role in the anime. Gen 1 only had Red, Gen 2 didn't so there was no Kris (Lyra did appear after the remake), Gen 3 and 4 did so we had May and Dawn, Gen 5 did have the other player character but they didn't have a role in the story so there was no Hilda/Rosa, Gen 6 did so we had Serena, Gen 7 and 8 didn't so no Selene or Gloria.

If we have both protagonists helping with the story and one appears in the anime as a companion this'll likely confirm the theory. If they both appear in game but one's not a companion in the anime then it was either a coincidence or this was once the case but they stopped it.

Autobot N

Pretty funny to watch all the fake leakers crawl out of the woodwork now that we have a new Gen revealed. r/Pokeleaks has been in a frenzy with 4chan posts and brand new Twitter accounts, and since the only "reliable" leaker Khu won't have any info until June people are desperate to believe anything they see.

BCVM22

Pretty funny to watch all the fake leakers crawl out of the woodwork now that we have a new Gen revealed. r/Pokeleaks has been in a frenzy with 4chan posts and brand new Twitter accounts, and since the only "reliable" leaker Khu won't have any info until June people are desperate to believe anything they see.
Burn it all to the ground and salt the earth.