• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Pokemon Scarlet & Pokemon Violet - General Discussion/Speculation Thread

Wulava

danger chili pepper
Staff member
Since I doubt the likelihood of a third version, DLC is the new approach. And with the game being open world, they can just put a bunch of new stuff or open previously off-limit areas.

PrinceOfFacade

Ghost-Type Master
Yeah dlc sounds great, just hope the base game isn't compromised for it

Nah, I don't think they'll do that. I think they'll just add whatever they couldn't put into the game initially later. I mean, that's the whole point of DLC, no? Adding what you couldn't fit in time?

Of course there's also developers exploiting DLC by literally selling the game in pieces, like f***ing Killer Instinct.

So the Japanese titles show there's a new gimmick.

Any idea on what it could be? I can't imagine much beyond "getting bigger and stronger," unless they finally decide to take the fusion route.

Last edited:

Autobot N

So the Japanese titles show there's a new gimmick.

Any idea on what it could be? I can't imagine much beyond "getting bigger and stronger," unless they finally decide to take the fusion route.
I've seen speculation that it has to do with changing types of moves/Pokemon/something since it's shaped like a star, just like that big mural of a star with all of the types on it that was somewhere in the trailer. Not sure if I believe that, though

I’m pretty sure the gimmick is this;
17 star items, one for each type, just like a-crystals. Have your Pokémon hold a star item and at any point in the battle you can activate it and your Pokémon becomes the type of the star item. So if your Machamp is holding a Rock Star item, when it activates your Machamp loses its fighting type and becomes Rock type, making it take less damage from the opponents incoming flying type attack, then you can use a rock type move and hit with STAB. Also, certain Pokémon will have gigantamax-style form changes, like say your Machamp is holding the Psychic Star Item, you activate it, Machamp becomes Paychic type and changes form to look like a Mega Alakazam floating all cross legged in the same pose and everything.

Think of the possibilities for the meta game if at any moment in a battle any Pokémon could literally become any other type. And the form changes will appease those thirsting for mega evolution to return too.

Rune Knight

What do you guys think that the initial number of Pokémon native to the region's pokédex will end up being? 400 like SwSh? 300 like S&M? Or maybe this time a little more over the norm like 500?

Cibryll

Aeonian Twilight
What do you guys think that the initial number of Pokémon native to the region's pokédex will end up being? 400 like SwSh? 300 like S&M? Or maybe this time a little more over the norm like 500?
Initially, I'd guess about 350, maybe. Though, since we're almost at a thousand Pokémon already, 500 probably wouldn't be outside the new norm, I guess.

Wulava

danger chili pepper
Staff member
Kalos was able to put a total of 457 in its regional dex, split into three.
Alola (USUM) had 403 Pokemon split in 4 islands.
Galar has a total of 584 Pokemon. 400 Pokemon on the mainland. 110 were exclusive to the Isle of Armor. 74 were exclusive to the Crown Tundra.

I could see this region having around 400 again. But seeing as this whole region is a wild area, then going for 500 isn't all that surprising.

Rune Knight

Personally, knowing that the games will be situated in an open world setting and given the number of pokemon already revealed within the first trailer I'm expecting it to contain the largest pokedex to date.

However often times more does not mean better, and I would rather them focus on the quality aspect of catching pokemon than the size of entries made available.

In my opinion, I would like Gamefreak to continue building upon the mechanics of catching pokemon as they did with Legends Arceus. That way, they can retain the core aspect of their games while not overwhelming their players with having to recatch every single pokemon. Not by necessarily making it easier, judt quicker. Higher tier pokemon could also keep to their lower catch rates, just to maintain that level of challenge.

Last edited:

SBaby

Dungeon Master
Personally, knowing that the games will be situated in an open world setting and given the number of pokemon already revealed within the first trailer I'm expecting it to contain the largest pokedex to date.

However often times more does not mean better, and I would rather them focus on the quality aspect of catching pokemon than the size of entries made available.

In my opinion, I would like Gamefreak to continue building upon the mechanics of catching pokemon as they did with Legends Arceus. That way, they can retain the core aspect of their games while not overwhelming their players with having to recatch every single pokemon. Not by necessarily making it easier, judt quicker. Higher tier pokemon could also keep to their lower catch rates, just to maintain that level of challenge.
My only concern is that with it being open world, what are the loading times going to be like?

PrinceOfFacade

Ghost-Type Master

Legends having only 242 pokemon is evident they're going small again, so I'd say around 350 to start, and then they'll release more in the future like with Sword & Shield.

Aielyn

Has anyone else noticed what appears to be an ordinary insect near what people are speculating is the protagonist's house? If you watch the relevant part of the trailer, you can see the movement of the yellow thing (look just left of the path, just beyond/above the fence) - it moves in a way I'd expect a small butterfly or similar insect to move when moving quickly. There's a very small chance that it's more of a leaf or something blowing in the wind, but I've never seen a game with such a thing appearing singularly - it's usually a lot of leaves fluttering down. And it seems to move from one plant to another. It's definitely a lot smaller than even the smallest pokemon we've seen...

9CGw3XX.png

Alli

Has anyone else noticed what appears to be an ordinary insect near what people are speculating is the protagonist's house? If you watch the relevant part of the trailer, you can see the movement of the yellow thing (look just left of the path, just beyond/above the fence) - it moves in a way I'd expect a small butterfly or similar insect to move when moving quickly. There's a very small chance that it's more of a leaf or something blowing in the wind, but I've never seen a game with such a thing appearing singularly - it's usually a lot of leaves fluttering down. And it seems to move from one plant to another. It's definitely a lot smaller than even the smallest pokemon we've seen...

9CGw3XX.png
I don't understand what your looking at, but to me it looks to be a Cutiefly above the fence to the left and in front of the plant on the right fence. Too small to be certain, but they kinda look like small yellow dots with black legs.

PrinceOfFacade

Ghost-Type Master
Legends also had the thing where you need to catch all of the Pokemon to get Arceus, and I doubt they wanted to force people find 500 Pokemon to finish the game

Given Game Freak's technological limitations over the past decade, I'd say catching Arceus wasn't the reason for limiting the Hisui Dex, but rather an incentive to complete it.

Seamless open world gameplay isn't easy for Game Freak, and the best compromise for easing development is removing pokemon and adding them later. This proved useful for Sword & Shield, and I'm certain we'll see it for SV, now that the entire game is open world.

DannyDiglett

I think it would be good move if the remaining Pokémon and regional forms not available in any gen 8 game will be all included in Scarlet & Violet. Patrat, Ducklett, Tynamo, the Kalos starters, Furfrou, Pikipek, Bruxish, Alolan Geodude... to name a few... The Flabébé line is already confirmed to be in it. That's a good sign!

I prefer a good, decent storyline and original mons and moves over a hollow game with uninspired designs/dex fillers, so a smaller dex wouldn't be that of a problem to me. Quality over quantity. Especially since SV are the first main games entirely with an open world mechanic.

Last edited:

Baggie_Saiyan

Something interesting I recently discovered that for SwSh they didn't plan on overworld encounters and only integrated them due to the positive response from LGPE. So I wonder if somethings they didn't intended to keep from Legends may actually make their way over like the catch mechanic

SBaby

Dungeon Master
Given Game Freak's technological limitations over the past decade, I'd say catching Arceus wasn't the reason for limiting the Hisui Dex, but rather an incentive to complete it.

Seamless open world gameplay isn't easy for Game Freak, and the best compromise for easing development is removing pokemon and adding them later. This proved useful for Sword & Shield, and I'm certain we'll see it for SV, now that the entire game is open world.
The limited Dex is probably a combination of the fact that completing it is required to get Arceus, and also the fact that simply catching the Pokémon isn't enough to complete an entry. You have to do several things to get credit for each Pokémon. So if you add all of that up, it would equate to catching over 1,000 Pokémon. Far more than you'd normally see in a single Pokémon game.

I could see them doing what you mentioned with removing Pokémon temporarily and adding them later. Also having two versions of the game as per tradition will probably help this too.

PrinceOfFacade

Ghost-Type Master
The limited Dex is probably a combination of the fact that completing it is required to get Arceus, and also the fact that simply catching the Pokémon isn't enough to complete an entry. You have to do several things to get credit for each Pokémon. So if you add all of that up, it would equate to catching over 1,000 Pokémon. Far more than you'd normally see in a single Pokémon game.

I could see them doing what you mentioned with removing Pokémon temporarily and adding them later. Also having two versions of the game as per tradition will probably help this too.

I wouldn't say having two versions eases the load of how many pokemon they have to model, animate and code. The amount of data per version is still the same.

I think the real ease of development is Legends itself. With Scarlet & Violet carrying the same mapping and environment style as Pokémon Legends, it seems quite evident one was a stepping stone for the other. I wouldn't be surprised if a good chunk of SV's PokéDex is comprised of pokemon available in Legends.