• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Pokemon Scarlet & Pokemon Violet - General Discussion/Speculation Thread

Det. Viper

That’s Detective Viper to you
Personally I'd use the Sinnoh Stone from Pokemon Go and just re-purpose it to have the effect that you just need to know the move and use a Sinnoh stone to evolve pokemon like Stantler. This would be an easy way to evolve them in-games where strong style and agile style aren't possible while still tying it back to the region but making it possible to evolve in violet and scarlet
I was thinking the same thing regarding the regional evolutions. At some point it will be inconvenient to evolve say Pikachu into an Alolan Raichu. So having something to the effect of an Alola Stone to evolve non-regional Pokémon into their regional forms. Having the Alola Stone, Galar Stone and Hisui Stone as super rare items could rectify this.

Kangaflora

I can see a new mechanic being introduced in these games. Part of the game's logos in the past have told us that X and Y gave us Mega Evolutions, Sun and Moon (and their Ultra counterparts) gave us the cool Z-Moves, Sword and Shield gave us Dynamax and Gigantamax. Don't you guys think that it is a bit odd having a six-pointed star (the same six-pointed star used for Colourless Energy) with a six-sided diamond inside of it? If you look at the logo carefully, that star hints at a new mechanic, but I can't point the finger as to what it is yet.

Captain Jigglypuff

Leader of Jigglypuff Army
I can see a new mechanic being introduced in these games. Part of the game's logos in the past have told us that X and Y gave us Mega Evolutions, Sun and Moon (and their Ultra counterparts) gave us the cool Z-Moves, Sword and Shield gave us Dynamax and Gigantamax. Don't you guys think that it is a bit odd having a six-pointed star (the same six-pointed star used for Colourless Energy) with a six-sided diamond inside of it? If you look at the logo carefully, that star hints at a new mechanic, but I can't point the finger as to what it is yet.
Maybe it is a system similar to the Agile and Strong Styles in Arceus? It is a pretty interesting gimmick that is far too good to be a one off thing.

PrinceOfFacade

Ghost-Type Master
New York has museums that display historical things. I remember going to a museum in Pittsburgh during a field trip as a kid and they had some Egyptian artifacts and a mummy on display.

That would be the Metropolitan Museum of Art, much of which has been returned to Egypt by request of the nation. The museum has in recent years been returning any artifacts that were originally stolen from foreign lands, but I digress.

I say we shouldn't worry too much about the regional accuracy of a game's roster, because most of the time it doesn't make sense.

Beloberto

Bug Catcher
The "leaks? real or fake?" season has officially started! I love this part, even if the games fail to deliver these months of wild guesses and people arguing and trying to find minor details to debunk possible leaks are always super fun.

Don't think I can post the "leak" here, but it should be easy to find on twitter (and I wouldn't complain if it ended up being real. Really cool 'mon and interesting UI that seem to accommodate fights against multiple enemies).

TRNRLogan

I say we shouldn't worry too much about the regional accuracy of a game's roster, because most of the time it doesn't make sense.
Besides Cofagrigus makes sense in the region anyway given the ruins that are in the desert.

PrinceOfFacade

Ghost-Type Master
Besides Cofagrigus makes sense in the region anyway given the ruins that are in the desert.

And where in the New York metro area is there a desert? lol That's my point. None of it makes sense.

The only thing we can sorta link to a region's real-life counterpart are the starters and box legendaries, and even that has its liberties.

Pokemon Power

I doubt that Gigantamaxing will be leaving the Galar region anytime soon. I do however, think that a new gimmick will be introduced to replace it. My only regret is that they didn't find a way to have it co-exist in the games with Mega Evolution.

Noy

Hmm, we already have transformation, gigantification, and special moves with poses. What are we missing? Charge Meters, Trainer Moves?
Maybe the gimmick will be less battle focused. There are things like multiplayer experience, contests, puzzles, quests, berries, and training, that could get added/improved/focus.

Do they ever bother explaining where any pokemon comes from?

Like seriously, how the hell is Cofagrigus native to a region based on New York?
As someone who used to live in New York, I can relate, but Pokemon is a kids' franchise, so they cannot have Pokemon based on drug addicts

The closest to Cofagrigus can be found in the ancient Egyptian section of the Museum of Art.

Manbis

Maybe it is a system similar to the Agile and Strong Styles in Arceus? It is a pretty interesting gimmick that is far too good to be a one off thing.

Agile and Strong Style doesnt seem "flashy" enough for a gimmick. Honestly, they should stop with making new gimmicks and just brush back all the old ones. Mega Evolution, Z-Moves and Gigamax all in one game would be cool. Of course some rebalancing would be needed but that can be done

Nave

Agile and Strong Style doesnt seem "flashy" enough for a gimmick. Honestly, they should stop with making new gimmicks and just brush back all the old ones. Mega Evolution, Z-Moves and Gigamax all in one game would be cool. Of course some rebalancing would be needed but that can be done
I personally loved the meta with Mega Evolution and Z-Moves.
Might be my favourite meta ever actually, cause Z-Moves could be utilized as Mega Killers.

MrJechgo

I sense another problem with styles: it wouldn't work well in Multiplayer... PLA has no multiplayer option, probably because of its mechanics.

One gimmick that would work in SV is the move swapping. Have Pokémon getting an expanded moveset of 10 moves, and you then swap moves around, as long as you're outside of battle. Considering the amount of TM, TR, HM, Egg Moves and Move Tutor moves, you cannot have a Pokémon learning every single one of them XD

Frostbite and Drowsy should also return, because having your Pokémon unable to do anything is just getting old and outdated...

Joanie

Also, Frostbite absolutely should come in because of the Sp. Attack reduction. That's just far too useful a thing to give ice types, who need all the help they can get, to not keep.

Captain Jigglypuff

Also, Frostbite absolutely should come in because of the Sp. Attack reduction. That's just far too useful a thing to give ice types, who need all the help they can get, to not keep.
I prefer Frostbite over the Frozen status condition because you don’t get the BS of your strongest Pokémon never being able to attack while an under leveled Smoochum demolishes you because of the Frozen status. I can see Ice Burn causing Frostbite more than Freeze.

Divine Retribution

Conquistador de pan
Personally I hate Freeze. I know some people like it if for no other reason than it's one of the original status effects, but RBY had so many awful game design choices and I definitely count Freeze mechanics (even when they're working properly and they've doubled the chance of thawing out per turn...) among them. A completely RNG-based chance to completely cripple a Pokemon some of the time... There's too many layers of luck involved for it to be a fun, engaging mechanic. I'm not a big fan of how much RNG is involved in a Pokemon battle under normal conditions, but Freeze takes that dynamic and ramps it up to 11. Some people prefer to reduce Pokemon into basically gambling, I am not one of those people, so I would not be sad at all to see Freeze go and Frostbite take its place.

DSDark

Breeder
They sometimes do but it is fairly rare. They indicated Galarian Zigzagoon the oldest form despite Zigzagoon being first found in games based in Hoenn. With a lot of the Pokemon potentially from other regions they either don't mention it or they just imply they are from somewhere else but don't until they have a specific region that makes sense. Exeggutor despite being a Kanto Pokemon was originally from the Tropics but Alolan Exeggutor is now the "true form" so I've always taken that to imply its from Alola. For Cofagrigus I doubt it will be mentioned (or even implied) unless later games go to an Egypt inspired region.

Personally I'd use the Sinnoh Stone from Pokemon Go and just re-purpose it to have the effect that you just need to know the move and use a Sinnoh stone to evolve pokemon like Stantler. This would be an easy way to evolve them in-games where strong style and agile style aren't possible while still tying it back to the region but making it possible to evolve in violet and scarlet
I'm not saying have strong or agile style. What I am saying is that normally Stantler doesn't learn Psyshield Bash, for example. However in SV a character says "I've been studying the history of pokemon regions and in old sinnoh certain pokemon could evolve using moves we don't normally see. I heard their is an old ruined building people used to study pokemon moves. Those ruins might have information on these moves". You go find the ruins, find three scrolls, one for Stantler, Basculin and Qwilfish. Then bring them back to the character and now they can now teach any of these species the needed moves.

Captain Jigglypuff

I’d be okay if Freeze was made into a rarer status condition that a few moves could cause but at a smaller percentage of it occurring. Moves that can keep Freeze as a secondary result are Ice Beam, Ice Punch, Blizzard, Freeze-Dry, Ice Fang, Freezing Glare, and Powder Snow with Blizzard, Freeze-Dry, and Powder Snow having a higher chance of causing Frostbite and Tri Attack will cause Frostbite instead of Freeze. Ice Burn can still cause a Burn but now it also has a 20% to cause Frostbite instead as Ice Burn is implied to be an extremely cold attack and real life ice burns and Frostbite have very similar symptoms with only the way they are inflicted being different.

Cibryll

Aeonian Twilight
They could do what they did with the Poison status effects.
Like, there's poisoned and badly poisoned since… okay, probably before Gen 3, I dunno.
So, we could end up with frostbite and frozen. (Or partially frozen, and then frozen, but that's probably going overboard.)